The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ???

+18
Soldier_Of_Fortune
kingraf
JabMachineMK2
manos de piedra
captain carrantuohil
Rowley
bhb001
irishbrads
Gerry SA
RanjitPatel
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TopHat24/7
hogey
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ??? Empty Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:02 pm

How good is Daniel Geale.............Looked good against Mundine..beat Sturm but is he all that!!!.................Good handspeed.........decent power but is open and likes a war........

Thought Barker did okay against Sergio.........But maybe he is to one dimensional for Geale.........

Will Barker need a ko ???

Think he has a chance................But I like Geale to win............Interesting fight though..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ??? Empty Re: Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ???

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Barker will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ??? Empty Re: Geale v Barker - Anybody give Barker a chance ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

You sound like Ivan Drago..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:06 pm

Does anyone care? Barker is insanely boring. Nice guy though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:07 pm

WBA/IBF middleweight titles so.........regardless of personality It should be an important scrap........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:10 pm

Haven't seen much of geale but barker seems to be one of those nearly men. Always there but never gets the girl.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:12 pm

I think Barker can win.

Geale recently went 12 grueling rounds with ancient Mundaine. Geale is good works hard but Barker as you have alluded to has fought the better opponent in Martinez and took him to the 11th round so he should not fear Geale.

Winner of this gets a nice easy fight with some fella called Golovkin or something.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

You know what I think you have a point........Napoleon wouldn't want him as a general.......

Think he may have missed the boat.........Still takes on the best though like Macklin..

Geale vs Golotkin would be fun ............

Onetwo I think Geale has slightly quicker handspeed and is more prime......But there isn't a great deal between them.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:19 pm

Saw an interview with Barker and Murry saying that they would not mind if Golovkin would move up a weight. Ha ha. If Barker looses expect a huge domestic scrap with Barker, Macklin, Murry and Lee all in the mix.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

Middleweight has some good talent.

If Canelo was not fighting Floyd then there is enough names to make a super 6 out of it with GGG Strum Canelo Martinez and kid choc and maybe 1 of the Brits.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

Lee is ordinary...........But I wouldn't mind a fight between two of the other three........

However Murray has title aspirations...........and Macklin will think he's worth more than a domestic showdown with Barker..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

Have a feeling Barker will outbox Geale and win fairly comfortably.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:38 pm

Interesting Hogey..........Always thought Barker was a little too standup.........But hey brave prediction.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

Agreed

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

I think Barker is the sort of bloke who does everything very well, but nothing great. Only very good fighters will beat him and Geale has not shown me anything to suggest he is special in any way. Who knows Geale might prove me wrong but i will have a few bob on Barker to bring home the belt.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

It's kind of Macklin-Golotkin scenario..........

On that adam smith show they all picked Macklin to win because Golotty was still unproven.....

Now he's king kong.........

Whoever wins will get a good payday against Golotkin.........

I rate Barker but there seems to be something missing.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 16 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

Know what you mean Truss, but i think whats missing in Barker is charisma more than boxing ability, he is quite dull and lacks that certain sparkle some other fighters have, even many lesser ones.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

To be honest I picked him to beat Martinez who I've never rated as highly as others......

However his workrate was a bit of a problem.........and he gassed.......

I don't know..might be a guy who drags defeat from the jaws of victory....

He may be a loser........hope I'm wrong.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:42 pm

Thought Murray performed better against both Sturm and Martinez than Barker, arguably won one if not two of those, and I'd back him to beat Geale.

Barker tho, not so much. Too one-dimensional, as you say, even though Geale isn't much special IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:06 pm

Geale is pretty average imo for a world champ, so there's a good chance imo that Barker can get the W

He beat Sturm, but imo Macklin was just as impressive as Geale was and Geale was up against a more washed up version than the one Macklin fought. Mundine is an old man and looked it against Geale, I'd pick Barker to beat Mundine if they fought

He throws a lot of punches so can cause problems for Barker who fades late and uses a lot of movement, but he doesn't always throw hard shots and he can be hit and countered when he goes for quality over quantity

Good matchup, don't think Geale would fight GGG, he's already chosen Barker and Mundine when he was suppose to fight GGG

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:47 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Thought Murray performed better against both Sturm and Martinez than Barker, arguably won one if not two of those, and I'd back him to beat Geale.

Barker tho, not so much.  Too one-dimensional, as you say, even though Geale isn't much special IMO.

Macklin fought Sturm not Barker.

Murray also fought both of them after and both were seemingly more and more on the slide by the time Murray got there it may be important to note.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:52 pm

I think Barker will win, maybe a late stoppage. Since the Martinez fight he seems to be fighting like every fight is his last.
I remember he said he thought of quitting the sport so maybe that and the quality of opponents has made him up his game. Looks better now than he ever has done.
I would have fancied Macklin and Murray to beat Geale so by that logic, Barker should too.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:54 pm

Barker is 5/4 so there isn't a lot in it.......A few on here going for him too.........

Interesting stuff.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm

I like Barker. He has great skills.

But Geale is a level above.

Geale is basically a lesser, younger, version of Sergio Martinez.

Geale by wide UD

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:23 am

azania wrote:Does anyone care? Barker is insanely boring. Nice guy though.

insanely boring? think thats a bit harsh, have watched quite a few interviews with him and seems decent bloke and up for a laugh, not quite the character of fury/haye/Broner etc but then again not many are...................

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

irishbrads wrote:
azania wrote:Does anyone care? Barker is insanely boring. Nice guy though.

insanely boring? think thats a bit harsh, have watched quite a few interviews with him and seems decent bloke and up for a laugh, not quite the character of fury/haye/Broner etc but then again not many are...................

What Az means is, he's not a complete total and utter bell-end of stratospheric proportions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

What I mean is that he is a boring fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:10 am

Az, I'm not up on Barker, so can you tell me why you believe he is boring? Is he negative ala Hopkins? Lazy? Very efficient, but not spectacular? Some people have suggested that he is good at most things, just not excellent at any. Does this match with your assessment?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:14 am

Too be fair to a youngster like Az, in this day and age of his generation watching Geordie Shore/Valleys type programmes with people trying to be outrageous and classless to get famous a nice normal lad like Barker must seem boring. Where as many of us more mature adults prefer the classier type fighter who just gets on with fighting like in years gone by.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:18 am

I think Barker has a genuine chance in this one. Watched one of his more recent fights and now the injuries have cleared up seems to have added a bit of devil to his obvious skills. Bhb’s comment he is one of those guys who is good in everything but not spectacular in any one department is probably accurate but that does not have to be a huge problem there has been many a fighter who the same can be said who has had a decent career. Have not seen loads of Geale but there is not enough on his record to suggest he is a guy to be genuinely feared, wins over an ageing Sturm and Mundine are solid enough but not exactly stunning.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:22 am

hogey wrote: people trying to be outrageous and classless to get famous .

Tyson Fury been on it yet ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Rowley wrote:I think Barker has a genuine chance in this one. Watched one of his more recent fights and now the injuries have cleared up seems to have added a bit of devil to his obvious skills. Bhb’s comment he is one of those guys who is good in everything but not spectacular in any one department is probably accurate but that does not have to be a huge problem there has been many a fighter who the same can be said who has had a decent career. Have not seen loads of Geale but there is not enough on his record to suggest he is a guy to be genuinely feared, wins over an ageing Sturm and Mundine are solid enough but not exactly stunning.

4/6 Geale ...................5/4 Barker ...........The oddsmakers aree with you Rowley........Should be getting more airtime this fight.....A genuine world class fight with two belts and a 60/40 match........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

He is a typical double left jab and right cross fighter. Reminds me of a Terry Lawless style guy. It's a style of boxing I find boring. Good figjter, just boring.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:26 am

azania wrote:He is a typical double left jab and right cross fighter. Reminds me of a Terry Lawless style guy. It's a style of boxing I find boring. Good figjter, just boring.

Is there any white fighters you do like Azania.....Just curious.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:28 am

Active or retired?

Should I include Bruno?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
azania wrote:He is a typical double left jab and right cross fighter. Reminds me of a Terry Lawless style guy. It's a style of boxing I find boring. Good figjter, just boring.

Marciano?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote: people trying to be outrageous and classless to get famous .

Tyson Fury been on it yet ??

Not yet mate, but you know he has true Big Brother star potential next year.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Marciano?

Patterson?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:33 am

Think If Barker is going to win a world title he'll never have a better chance........Have a feeling 168 is a step too far for Golotty and that he'll look to clean up at 160.......

Hope Barker does...I like the guy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

Getting classier in your old age, az, I see. You're presumably stopping short of adding Joe Frazier to Bruno and Patterson in your hilarious list of "white fighters". Not very worthy of you.

Geale-Barker should be a decent scrap in its own right, which I would take the Aussie to win by decision. can't help agreeing with Truss's basic contention that Barker is a good fighter who doesn't really seem blessed with the ingredients that make for a global winner. As Napoleon more or less said, I'd rather a lucky general than a good one, and I have a feeling that Darren will find a way to lose to a guy who is essentially on the same level as him.

What's frustrating about this fight is the likely upshot. It seems that the winner will defend against Soliman, thereby thwarting any chance of the first unified middleweight champ in about a quarter of a century. It's a pity that Golovkin's potential appears to have dampened the ambition of so many top fighters in what is once again looking like a proper division. I'd like to think that Billy Jo Saunders will be pushing on to join the group at the top. For me, he remains a fighter with rare potential.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:16 am

Morning capt. Truss' s question deserved stupid responses. Me saying that Barker is a boring fighter is true. I have also referred to Floyd as being a boring fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:17 am

azania wrote:Truss' s question deserved stupid responses.  

You think so Az ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

I know so. You seem very insecure when it comes to certain issues. Like a Fox news fanbot.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:23 am

Let's call it mate...I'm not right wing and I do have insecurities..wish I was more like you...

Saunders wants to fight the winner of soliman-Geale/Barker before Golotty does unify..

Like Billy but he'll not beat Golotkin.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

Taylor and Hopkins were fully unified middleweight champs I think? It would be nice to see Barker or one of the Brits win a title after so man attempts but I think its a real shame we havent got to see them in with each other while they have chased various belts. Barker, Macklin, Murray, Lee or in the division above Groves, De Gale, Saunders, Froch and potentially Callum Smith or Eubank Jr in the future. There are so many good domestics clashes in that mix its a shame so few of them have got made.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:28 am

Billy would beat Barker tomorrow.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

manos de piedra wrote:Taylor and Hopkins were fully unified middleweight champs I think? It would be nice to see Barker or one of the Brits win a title after so man attempts but I think its a real shame we havent got to see them in with each other while they have chased various belts. Barker, Macklin, Murray, Lee or in the division above Groves, De Gale, Saunders, Froch and potentially Callum Smith or Eubank Jr in the future. There are so many good domestics clashes in that mix its a shame so few of them have got made.

Maybe the success of Haye-Fury will encourage promoters to think big domestic showdowns are just as financially viable as alphabet title world fights...

Hope so..........The names you mention apart from Lee..........really stimulate interest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:34 am

No problem with your opinions re.Barker, az - each to their own in what they look for from a fighter. I speak as someone who loved watching Whitaker go to work. Do think that your comments about Bruno and Patterson are at least open to misinterpretation and make you look like something that I suspect you're not.

Suspect you're right that Billy Joe won't beat Golovkin, Truss, but think that his range of skills at least gives him a better chance of exposing any Golovkin weaknesses than the rest of the British/Irish contenders. He has been brought along at a sensible pace, has time on his side at not yet 24 and might yet prove to be something quite out of the ordinary.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Been a pro four and a half years Saunders now and seems to have been around forever.....

Only 23 but surely he needs to move on......averaging 3/4 fights a year...........

Interesting he's in a division where there is no obvious WBo route for Warren to get him a soft title.........

Warren doesn't like risking his fighters........Certainly has potential but will he get the chance to use it..

Rocky Fielding 15-0 at 168 is the kind of tall rangy guy that might surprise a few people...Surprised he isn't mentioned more in the superb 168 mix !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:40 am

I can't see any mw causing GGG any problems.

Lewis called Bruno an uncle tom. I've referred to Patterson in the same light, much to the annoyance of Truss. So why not continue especially as his question was based around his many insecurities which being American is pretty common.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next