The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Lloyd Honeyghan smell????

+2
oxring
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Does Lloyd Honeyghan smell???? Empty Does Lloyd Honeyghan smell????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

How many Undisputed champions has Britain had since the war??? Yet only articles I write or articles that are written to bait me...appear about this Man...

Eubank, Benn, Collins all feature regularly and yet none had the "REAL" success that this guy did!!!

Hate to say this but he really doesn't get his just desserts really!! As an undisputed champion...in a alphabet age!!

Regardless if he would have lost a rematch with the Don....(At 154 think most see Curry turning him) he still took the title off the greatest fighter of his period!!

Is it because he was arrogant...or overrated..or maybe overshadowed by Bruno and the above members of the Brit pack?????

Why does Honeyghan seem to smell??!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Does Lloyd Honeyghan smell???? Empty Re: Does Lloyd Honeyghan smell????

Post by oxring Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:52 pm

[insert usual guff about beefsters, squats, Curry losing etc]

You make a good point Truss - I have no idea why Honeyghan isn't rated higher - and is forgotten in many ways.

Perhaps because of the way that Starling owned him - but to be fair - Starling was quality - and pushed a peak Curry all the way on one occasion.

Good article.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

Wouldn't be the first to be owned and still revered afterwards for what he has done......

Maybe his personality didn't connect...From 86-89 he certainly was top Brit...

Duke mckenzie seems another casualty..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't be the first to be owned and still revered afterwards for what he has done......

Maybe his personality didn't connect...From 86-89 he certainly was top Brit...

Duke mckenzie seems another casualty..

The beeb drag Duke Mckenzie out every so often as their 5 live "expert". He's a pillock.

Now why Steve Robinson had to disappear off the face of the earth I don't know. Proper cindarella man, that.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

Agree with the basic premise - a damned fine fighter, in the top seven or eight Brits since the war, in my opinion. Much more consistent than McKenzie when in his pomp, at his best, a really sound all-rounder, with decent power (Rosi, Hatcher) and good boxing skills (Blocker, Mittee)

I would pick the smashing win away from home over Curry, weight-drained or not, over Turpin's decision at Earl's Court against a woefully under-prepared Robinson as Britain's best since '45. A shame that he started to believe his own press....By 89, Starling and Breland were accidents waiting to happen.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

Problem for me is that his best work was done up to and in winning the title, but his reign was disappointing- didn't face the cream of the division for a long while after winning the belts, and when he eventually did he got spanked. He seemed to lose his ahead against Starling , though I still gave lloyd the first three rounds on shear output, and should have never fought Breland if he was as weight drained as he claimed. I admire the fact that when he was no longer able to compete at world class, he lowered his sights and enjoyed a reign at commonwealth level, not many fighters seem to recognise when their time at the top is over

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Oct 2011, 4:25 am

not a partiuclarly endearing character and didn't have a 'rival' a la benn eubank to light the imagination. I agree he's under-appreciated. I think captain sums it up, an accident waiting to happen once he became champ. Fine fighter when hungry and dedicated as a contender. Crude slugger when believing his own hype and big time charleying it as champion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:11 am

He wasn't a loved character. A bit like Hamed. Seem to remember a lot of people were happy enough Jorge Vaca turned him over. He's also been completely out of the limelight for about 20 years could be another reason people forget him.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:14 am

Actually watched the Curry Honeyghan fight recently and necver realised just how bad Curry was. What I saw iwas some slugger beating up some guy zonked out on tranqulizers. Thought it was a poor quality fight and it wasn't how I remembered it at all, given the massive hype around the win at the time.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down