The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROG asked to delay retirement plans

+25
PJHolybloke
red_stag
DaDubs1
Mickado
Gibson
Pot Hale
welshy824
Sin é
BlueMuff
pete (buachaill on eirne)
MrsP
Portnoy
Gatts
Irish Curry
Shifty
Cymroglan
Feckless Rogue
rodders
Artful_Dodger
KiaRose
Thomond
greybeard
eirebilly
Notch
Cari
29 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

ROG asked to delay retirement plans - Page 5 Empty ROG asked to delay retirement plans

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 11:23

First topic message reminder :

From RTÉ:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/0918/ireland_ogara.html

Ireland will seek to persuade Ronan O'Gara to shelve any retirement plans after the fly-half hinted the World Cup will be his Test swansong. An emotional O'Gara indicated in the aftermath of yesterday's magnificent 15-6 victory over Australia that his 11-year international career was almost over.

"It's massive, this is it for us. I'm done with Ireland in a few weeks," he told RTÉ Sport. "I've had a great time in this jersey but I want this to be the biggest time. It's a great team, a great bunch of lads and it means a lot to us."

Team manager Paul McNaughton revealed an effort would be made to convince O'Gara, who kicked two crucial penalties at Eden Park, to continue playing for Ireland. "Ronan hasn't talked formally to us about it. There's no doubt he still has something to offer the team after the World Cup," said McNaughton.

"He's contracted for the next couple of years. Undoubtedly (coach) Declan Kidney and the management will be encouraging him to stay on. "He's a very, very important part of the set-up here."

O'Gara has kicked 1,039 points for Ireland during his 113-cap career, but has slipped to second place in the fly-half pecking order behind Jonathan Sexton. The 34-year-old, who made his debut in 2000 and has been on three Lions tours, could yet reclaim the number 10 jersey given Sexton's unconvincing performances against the USA and Australia so far this month.

What do fans think? Should he carry on for a little while yet? My personal view is,unless he no longer enjoys playing or isn't fit to do so, I think he could continue for another year with Ireland.

Cari

Back to top Go down

ROG asked to delay retirement plans - Page 5 Empty Re: ROG asked to delay retirement plans

Post by Gibson Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:35

Portnoy wrote:I bet that somewhere in this article someone has made the analogy between Jonny and Flood.

Very similar relative ages and very similar relative game styles.

WHO? Who is this Johnny Flood you speak of?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

ROG asked to delay retirement plans - Page 5 Empty Re: ROG asked to delay retirement plans

Post by greybeard Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:39

Jonny Flood, not Johnny Flood.

Jonny Flood was a jazz seasmstress of the famed Goebels conservatory who tragically met his maker in a freak accident involving a sauna and a jar of sodium.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:42

Feck off Gibbo you barrsturd.

I speak more in hope than anticipation.

But strangely the OH options are as nothing to both our nations compared to their true deficiencies.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:43

Ah roysh. That Jonny Flood. Her grannie was a wrestler.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:49

I love you Gibbo.

I just love you.

Rugby's such a divisive game yet you just get it all right in retaining the objectivity of it all.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 16:04

Wink Feeling is mutual for the same reason Portnoy, mo chara. Ale

Its only a game. The whole deal I mean.

I have massive respect for players like Jonny Wilkinson and Felipe Contepomi. They are apart in their approach to the game. And Life.

That's what makes them so special.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 16:19

No chance of driving down the M5 together in a golf buggy Gibbo?

It would have to be in the wrong carriageway and on the fast lane.

Way to live. Way to die.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 8 Oct 2011 - 9:29

Does anyone think ROG will change his mind about retirement now Ireland are out of the RWC?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sat 8 Oct 2011 - 11:44

Depends if he wants to go out at near the top or the 'other'.

All depends on the mental conditioning of the player.

Who are the players who have played their last RWC?

There is a huge list.

Depends on the player and the blend of self-motivation and their inherent love of the sport.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5