The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook fight possible delay

4 posters

Go down

Brook fight possible delay Empty Brook fight possible delay

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

Kell Brook's world title fight with American Devon Alexander may have to be put back a month after the Sheffield fighter rolled an ankle in training.
Brook's IBF welterweight bout is scheduled for January 19 but promoter Eddie Hearn has opened talks with Alexander's camp, and the fight's broadcasters Showtime, about a postponement.
Brook sustained his injury when out running and although Hearn admits that it is not a serious injury, it is affecting his fighter's training regime.
If the original fight date was honoured, Brook would risk going into the ring with the Missouri man at only '60-70%' and at such a disadvantage Hearn believes his charge would almost certainly lose. But he is hopeful of a new date being reached without upsetting British fight fans' preparations to watch the bout.
"It's not a horrific injury but it's hampering him from doing his sprints and doing his runs and also side-to-side movement in the ring and on the pads," Hearn told Sky Sports News. "It's frustrating because it's not an injury that would force you out of a fight.
"We thought we would be up front with everybody and I spoke to Golden Boy (Alexander's promoters) on Tuesday night to say 'look, I think we might have a problem if we go on the original date.' So what I would like to do is potentially to push it back two, maybe three, even four weeks.
"What I don't want to do is let a 60% or 70% Kell Brook go into a fight of that magnitude because we would not do him justice and he would not do himself justice.
"Alexander's only lost one, he's 25 years of age, world champion and deservedly so. You can't play around at this level and if you are not 100%, all the work you have done to get here is going to be wasted. If he went in 60-70% I don't think he would win the fight."
© ESPN EMEA Ltd

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/183509.html#

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Brook fight possible delay Empty Re: Brook fight possible delay

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:55 am

Unlucky for him but Alexander, although unspectacular and beatable, is a very good fighter and he needs to be 100% to get the W

Ankle injury that doesn't sound too bad so it shouldn't hurt his preparation too much and its not official yet

How pulls the card is moved a sit was looking strong with a FOTY candidate for sure with Soto Karass-Aydin and Lucas Matthysse-Lundy

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

Shouldn't be a problem and I'm very optimistic that a rescheduled fight will take place in February instead of Jan. I'd much rather that happen than Brook go in there with a niggle. This world title fight has been a long time coming for him and there's a hell of a lot riding on it, given how much Matchroom have been championing him for the past eighteen months. Alexander will be a fair way off the weight and by the looks of it Hearn's got his request in early, so there's no reason for a new date not to be reached.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 12 Dec 2012, 12:53 pm

i agree with hearn but if every fight was postponed for a tiny injury a month before the fight i dont think we'd ever see anybody in action, he's worked hard for the fight, be a shame to see it lost over a little niggle

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down