The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to reality - Elimination Chamber spoilers

Go down

Back to reality - Elimination Chamber spoilers Empty Back to reality - Elimination Chamber spoilers

Post by Levi Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:25 pm

I haven't put this in the EC thread because even though it discusses the PPV, it's a more general look ahead. Last night the overwhelming feeling as the PPV went off air was disappointment. After the return of The Rock I genuinely thought we were heading in a new direction where we would start seeing what the fans wanted at the main events, but I now realise that that was pure nostalgia.

First and foremost, Cena. The Rock vs John Cena was, I admit, never likely. But last night, in my opinion, there was the opportunity to set up a truly watershed Wrestlemania. Before I start ranting I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is and give you my fantasy card:

John Cena def. The Rock

WWE Championship
The Miz def. John Morrison

World Heavyweight Championship
Alberto Del Rio def. Edge, Dolph Ziggler & Christian

The Undertaker def. Triple H

Ezekiel Jackson def. Big Show

Cody Rhodes def. Rey Mysterio

Drew McIntyre wins Money in the Bank

What you have there is a nice mix between the past and the future of the company, which to me is what Wrestlemania is all about. I appreciate the Cena heel turn to defeat The Rock is pure fantasy and to be honest I'm still dreaming about Undertaker vs heel Cena for 20-0, but if you ignore that bit of fiction then the rest of it was totally workable and realistic. John Morrison was flying along in the chamber and it would have been a heroic, emotional win. Then you get the future of the company, Miz and Morrison, for the gold at the big one but the beauty is they aren't truly headlining. The Rock vs Cena would obviously see out the show and there's a little less pressure on the younger stars. What we are more than likely going to have now is The Rock completely alienating the older fan base by finishing 'Mania in celebration with a victorious Super Cena. If that happens, I'm done. Bold statement but it would just be typical of an era in wrestling I have no interest in watching. Who would it help? Miz? Cena? How does anyone develop from that angle? Even The Great One can't get Cena over with the older generation I'm afraid so give it up. Sadly I don't see much else happening now. Vince gets his iconic DVD cover for another year at the expense of a few thousand more PPV buys over the coming months.

Another missed opportunity, and this was a big one for me, was Christian. Why on earth have Big Show fill the chamber spot if Christian was available? Looks to me like it won't be just Big Show vs Jackson at Wrestlemania because the angle seems to be swallowing up Barrett as well. 2-on-1? 4-on-1 seems to have gone out of the window with Corre winning the tag titles last night so maybe a 2-on-1 is the way forward, but then that buries Barrett and weakens Jackson. Should he really need another guy to go up against anyone? In the end I expect them to play safe and dropkick Wade Barrett into the also-rans of the Money in the Bank. Anyway, back to Christian, surely Vince isn't still just being petty about the TNA thing? Christian has served his time in ECW and the midcard, now the fans want him "in the club". This boat hasn't actually been missed yet so I won't moan too much. Either have him in the Smackdown main event or Money in the Bank but then once Del Rio goes over, Christian needs to be right on top of him for the PPV title matches. The rivalry is set and this is his best chance in years. Surely it's time at long last? Surely...

Tonight on Raw all the speculation will end and I expect we will see The Undertaker's role at the big one become clearer. Is it The Game? Surely it isn't Sting? Will The Deadman's demons come back to haunt him with Kane, Triple H and Shawn Michaels all cricling around the streak? This could be a big one this year if they don't drop the ball and all shall be revealed tonight. I hope Kane isn't swept under the carpet though as he's in grave danger of jobbing again even though he was impressive last night. Is this really The Devil's Favourite Demon who beat Taker clean month after month last year? Money in the Bank would be a shame for him in what could apparently be his last 'Mania and I even wouldn't object to Undertaker and Kane one more time, Streak vs Career. I think the crowd would buy into that. Bring back the mask for mystical strength in a similar way to Taker getting the urn last year and boom, epic.

Other ideas, erm, I think heels always suit money in the bank don't they? Cashing it in is a bit cowardly so it's a heels job but admittedly I took a long break from WWE throught the MITB era until last year with Swagger. I know RVD more or less served Cena his notice weeks before a cash in, and I saw Kane do it as a face, however briefly that lasted, but were there any more? Punk one year perhaps? It seems like heels suit it a lot more so with that in mind my tips this year are McIntyre or Barrett. Barrett is gifted on the mic but 6 months ago you would have said he didn't need the briefcase to get his chance. McIntyre has proven lately that he's ready. Shame about his finisher but a good clean dismantling of Edge in the near future and I'd say he's there. Kelly Kelly would make a very sexy heel girlfriend as well I think, now that she's getting aggressive. There's a touch of Trips and Stephanie about them with his Chosen One persona and the power he sometimes wields through Vince.

Anyway these are just my ideas and ramblings. You may love them or hate them but the reason I am depressed today is that WWE seems determined not to TRY them. Who didn't honestly call every single result last night? I know it's setting up 'Mania so it's a bit more predictable than usual but that's still a bit disappointing. I just feel like with The Rock back on Monday, and at least Undertaker, possibly The Game as well, returning tonight, this was the chance to really shake things to their foundations. So often Wrestlemania is treated as the end of the calendar, a culmination of scripts. But to me it's real power is when it is used as a beginning of new things, fresh ideas and characters, and I just can't see it happening this year guys. 2011 looks like it's going to be slow and steady.

Levi

Back to top Go down