The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referees

+43
paulscholes
Breadvan
Mr Thunder
bathmad
Taffineastbourne
blackcanelion
Shifty
red_stag
damngoodOvalball
HERSH
ruck40fun
jbeadlesbigrighthand
nathan
Pal Joey
tigerleghorn
yappysnap
Comfort
Hood83
Taylorman
Rob B
doctor_grey
Huwball
nganboy
Draigoch
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
eirebilly
SirJohnnyEnglish
Biltong
greybeard
JmD
Great White
HammerofThunor
PenfroPete
nottins
Knackeredknees
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
aucklandlaurie
Ozzy3213
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
GunsGerms
Thomond
TheGreyGhost
47 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

A referee should...

Referees - Page 8 Vote_lcap26%Referees - Page 8 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 17 ]
Referees - Page 8 Vote_lcap6%Referees - Page 8 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
Referees - Page 8 Vote_lcap35%Referees - Page 8 Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 23 ]
Referees - Page 8 Vote_lcap33%Referees - Page 8 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 66

Referees - Page 8 Empty Clancy Survives

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Outrageous news this morning as rouge Irish referee George "Vigilante" Clancy has escaped with a mere warning after blatantly overstepping his jurisdiction and conspiring with an unknown local man to rub out a valid All Black try in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

After first suggesting that Clancy would be dealt with appropriately "It was disappointing and will form part of our discussions when we next meet." and confirming that the try should have stood, that Clancy was incorrect and that the local South African school teacher had led Clancy astray, toothless IRB chief referee O'Brien again displayed his inept handling of refereeing failure when he did nothing other than offer that "referees will be reminded of the protocol".

In a chilling reminder of O'Brien's failure to tackle the indept performance of English whistler Wayne Barnes in the 2007 RWC, Paddy remarked "the gaffe would not have any World Cup consequences, and didn't affect the outcome of the game".

Israel Dagg has suggested that the pass was not forward anyway, and that the incident which saw the local South African man (drafted in under questionable circumstances at the 11th hour apparently in contingency for such an opportunity) was really a moot point given the legality of the pass in the first place.

Graham Henry, as amiable and level headed as ever pointed out that if the pass was not forward then the try should have been awarded regardless of the efforts of the pair to conspire to find a reason to rule out the try.

It's clear that the sooner that POB is replaced with Steve Walsh, the better.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Referees - Page 8 Empty Re: Referees

Post by nottins Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:32 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I didn't say Kearns was British. I said I don't listen to anything that any idiot says. Frankly my mind is sufficiently open to recognise BS when I hear it. And the stuff peddled out in British commentaries is the worst in the world.

🤦

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I didn't say Kearns was British. I said I don't listen to anything that any idiot says. Frankly my mind is sufficiently open to recognise BS when I hear it. And the stuff peddled out in British commentaries is the worst in the world.

You did say you dont listen to anything they say though which makes me wonder how you know what they say. But maybe Im just being deliberatly picky in an atempt to prove this argument can get even sillier.
Maybe its the long words they use that puts you off due to your childish cultural background.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

I'd agree if we were talking about Eddie butler who is a struggle or brian Moore who is a little loco but there are some good English/British pundits in my view.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:

I'd agree if we were talking about Eddie butler who is a struggle or brian Moore who is a little loco but there are some good English/British pundits in my view.

Surely not ? TGG has spoken, there is apparently nothing good about anything British.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

We owe GG a massive thank you for travelling all the way up here, and staying, to let us know how awful everything is and how badly we are getting it wrong. The sacrifice that this self styled nationalistic missionary is making in order to help us all to become better people, more like his faultless brethren in the Utopia from whence he came, is truly staggering.

Furthermore GG's rugby knowledge is the one true way. Who would have thought that the every other rugby player/fan in the world had got it so wrong? Thank you GG for showing us that there are no opinions. Just your true word.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Graciously accepted oval, thanks. I'll admit some days are a struggle, but to be thanked so selflessly makes it all worth while.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

You keep it up. We need to be cleansed with the truth.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

While I'm on it. Cross Rail is a great white elephant, and the banks will leave before they're restructured. Giant mistake, giant.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

Now you're just so honest that you are confusing Government policy with what actually happens rather than what they want people to read about in the press.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote: Cross Rail is a great white elephant

Cross Rail is in the England pack?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Nah, I would've said great white and occasionally black elephant.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:35 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Nah, I would've said great white and occasionally black elephant.

Be fair, Courtney Lawes is predominantly black

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:44 pm

But at least he is English!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

Can black people be English if brown PI people can't be New Zealanders?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:06 am

nganboy wrote:Can black people be English if brown PI people can't be New Zealanders?

If they were born and raised in New Zealand and held citizenship sure.
Or in the case of a Tuilagi if they get special goverment dispensation to re-enter the country depsite formaly living their illegaly ...sure why not?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

Laugh

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:22 am

While I'm on it. Cross Rail is a great white elephant, and the banks will leave before they're restructured. Giant mistake, giant

Any chance you could leave with them? I know that after the riots of load of people went on the streets to clean the trash up... unfortunately they did not clean it all up as you still seem to be here. king

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:48 am

Your old mate Clancy's recieved the gift basket you sent him then GG.... Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

We can't even buy a TMO decision then.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:44 am

I hope England NEVER get this ref again

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:56 am

Yep. He broke with tradition and subjected you to the laws...for almost 80 minutes.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Referees - Page 8 Empty Clancy, Goddard, Barnes

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:38 am

We've all heard the names before.

Just two weeks ago the Barnes/Goddard pairing were making headlines for TMO ineptitude. We have to look as far back as a week prior to that to find an incident involving Clancy's TMO failure change the course of a game. Of course Barnes himself is no stranger to world cup controversy - having failed at the highest level when his game blindness saw NZ unfairly dumped out of the last world cup when he decided to referee only one team.

Prior to the RWC I expressed my hope that these names wouldn't feature in the list of key playmakers in the RWC. Paddy O'brien has certainly seen enough from this trio of late that if they were players subject to the kind of selectional scrutiny from fans and coaches alike they would feature alongside the likes of Donald or Hodgson as those who could not be trusted with international honours.

In the recent weeks I expressed my dismay at the reappointment of the woeful Barnes, the clueless Clancy and the godawful Goddard. POB in his cushy 6 figure salaried job chose to take no action other than to issue feeble "reminders" and "statements of intent". I even questioned the adjudication of a shot at goal involving SA recently, under Clancy's supervision. I could see it - why couldn't the most high ranking official on the planet?

Now with a crucial world cup match possibly erroneously decided by duff adjudication in just the first weekend...the game we all talked of as THE game of the round, it makes me wonder just how much will POB and his seemingly unaccountable minions be allowed to get away with before SOMEBODY does SOMETHING?

Merging with the existing refs thread

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:01 am

Am amazed that POB didn't listen and bow to your superior view, GG?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

How the f.... do you know it was a wrong decision?

From a 2D picture on TV?

From James Hook who was running back to the halfway line so not really looking?

The touch judges are in the absolute best position to see what has happened to a kick.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

It was ambigious, therefor a correct decision to not award the goal.
The Welsh players werent upset by the decision, Warburton even said theres no garaunteing that SA wouldnt have won anyway had the 3 points been given.
Contrast that attitude to Cueto and his annoyance at the 11 point try not being awarded.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:We've all heard the names before.

Just two weeks ago the Barnes/Goddard pairing were making headlines for TMO ineptitude. We have to look as far back as a week prior to that to find an incident involving Clancy's TMO failure change the course of a game. Of course Barnes himself is no stranger to world cup controversy - having failed at the highest level when his game blindness saw NZ unfairly dumped out of the last world cup when he decided to referee only one team.

Prior to the RWC I expressed my hope that these names wouldn't feature in the list of key playmakers in the RWC. Paddy O'brien has certainly seen enough from this trio of late that if they were players subject to the kind of selectional scrutiny from fans and coaches alike they would feature alongside the likes of Donald or Hodgson as those who could not be trusted with international honours.

In the recent weeks I expressed my dismay at the reappointment of the woeful Barnes, the clueless Clancy and the godawful Goddard. POB in his cushy 6 figure salaried job chose to take no action other than to issue feeble "reminders" and "statements of intent". I even questioned the adjudication of a shot at goal involving SA recently, under Clancy's supervision. I could see it - why couldn't the most high ranking official on the planet?

Now with a crucial world cup match possibly erroneously decided by duff adjudication in just the first weekend...the game we all talked of as THE game of the round, it makes me wonder just how much will POB and his seemingly unaccountable minions be allowed to get away with before SOMEBODY does SOMETHING?

Merging with the existing refs thread

I know, Lawrence's biased reffing in favour of the Argies was astonishing!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

I actually thought he favoured England, especially when he let tuilagis early tackle go, and missed all if laws indiscretions.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:42 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I actually thought he favoured England, especially when he let tuilagis early tackle go, and missed all if laws indiscretions.
It seems we all make mistakes from time to time GG

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

Could we use the world cup as an opportunity to rid ourselves of all rubbish referees?

Invite Wayne Barnes (remember him when he was in the first division refereeing London Welsh - he was woeful then); the Changlings, Steve Walsh, Clancy, Chris White to a boat party - and then point the boat towards Antarctica and let them go. Madagascar style.

Any other nominations for the boat?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:I actually thought he favoured England, especially when he let tuilagis early tackle go, and missed all if laws indiscretions.
It seems we all make mistakes from time to time GG

What's your point? I'm commenting on a forum from a smart phone over a bad internet connection. Hardly in the same ball park as bollocksing up your job.

The thing is that at the moment the global game is in a state where the players and coaching is far more advanced and professional than the refereeing is. The refs are like a throw back to the amateur days, unfit, inconsistent, poor knowledge of the laws and too many get away with too many mistakes.

The gap between the top teams is now so small that the difference on the day is often the mistakes made by the referees.

Paddy O'Brien is to blame for this, given that he's the head ref. We need him to go and be replaced by a more thorough managerial professional.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

I think my point is that you take yourself too seriously which makes it very hard for other people to

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

You should take GG seriously.
Someone who spends as much time on this site throughout the day should be taken VERY seriously.

After all who else is there to point out all that is wrong in the (mainly English) Rugby world than the Kiwi Rugby Oracle?

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

At last, you're talking sense.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

How would you know GG?

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

What's your point? I'm commenting on a forum from a smart phone over a bad internet connection. Hardly in the same ball park as bollocksing up your job.

The dangers of technology - we have to be exposed to GG's ramblings anytime, anywhere 24/7.

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Does anyone kmow why Mr Poite gave Paul Williams a yellow card this after noon?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

Have to admit thought Clancy had a reasonable game today by his own miserably low standards ! Braveheart
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

Can't believe you bit at that one GG. Too easy. Worryingly i think you genuinely believe this.

I'll say this though, I owe you an apology. I've often said 10 man rugby can be compelling - that game was all the proof i needed that it isn't. Absolutely staggeringly dull. I know we all love Argentina as 'plucky underdogs' given their resources but they really are the common denominator in some awful games. At least England sometime stumble upon a decent performance, rare as it is.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Both are a distant second to Scotland v ... well, anyone.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:28 pm

Have to wonder about Lawrence though, if only he'd reead the NH press then he wouldve known the savage in Englands centres was likely to put in some illeagal hits and ben ready for that eh GG
Maybe he was too busyplaying on his smart phone.

Englands pool is a disgrace isnt it? At least Romania seem intent on allowing sides to walk through them, try bonus point for Scotland? Surely not.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

We can't have England going out early, their fans make up such a large proportion of the advertising market...

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:We can't have England going out early, their fans make up such a large proportion of the advertising market...

A fair point, i suspect the only thing we will bring to this WC

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

That's the spirit Hood! 🤦

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down