The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referees

+43
paulscholes
Breadvan
Mr Thunder
bathmad
Taffineastbourne
blackcanelion
Shifty
red_stag
damngoodOvalball
HERSH
ruck40fun
jbeadlesbigrighthand
nathan
Pal Joey
tigerleghorn
yappysnap
Comfort
Hood83
Taylorman
Rob B
doctor_grey
Huwball
nganboy
Draigoch
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
eirebilly
SirJohnnyEnglish
Biltong
greybeard
JmD
Great White
HammerofThunor
PenfroPete
nottins
Knackeredknees
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
aucklandlaurie
Ozzy3213
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
GunsGerms
Thomond
TheGreyGhost
47 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A referee should...

Referees - Page 7 Vote_lcap26%Referees - Page 7 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 17 ]
Referees - Page 7 Vote_lcap6%Referees - Page 7 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
Referees - Page 7 Vote_lcap35%Referees - Page 7 Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 23 ]
Referees - Page 7 Vote_lcap33%Referees - Page 7 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 66

Referees - Page 7 Empty Clancy Survives

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Outrageous news this morning as rouge Irish referee George "Vigilante" Clancy has escaped with a mere warning after blatantly overstepping his jurisdiction and conspiring with an unknown local man to rub out a valid All Black try in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

After first suggesting that Clancy would be dealt with appropriately "It was disappointing and will form part of our discussions when we next meet." and confirming that the try should have stood, that Clancy was incorrect and that the local South African school teacher had led Clancy astray, toothless IRB chief referee O'Brien again displayed his inept handling of refereeing failure when he did nothing other than offer that "referees will be reminded of the protocol".

In a chilling reminder of O'Brien's failure to tackle the indept performance of English whistler Wayne Barnes in the 2007 RWC, Paddy remarked "the gaffe would not have any World Cup consequences, and didn't affect the outcome of the game".

Israel Dagg has suggested that the pass was not forward anyway, and that the incident which saw the local South African man (drafted in under questionable circumstances at the 11th hour apparently in contingency for such an opportunity) was really a moot point given the legality of the pass in the first place.

Graham Henry, as amiable and level headed as ever pointed out that if the pass was not forward then the try should have been awarded regardless of the efforts of the pair to conspire to find a reason to rule out the try.

It's clear that the sooner that POB is replaced with Steve Walsh, the better.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Referees - Page 7 Empty Re: Referees

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:59 pm

not a word of a lie. He is a brave man for uttering the previously unspoken truth. I suspect that GG and his master, Chris Rattue are currently trying to track him down, hit squad style

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:19 am

damngoodOvalball wrote:and this quote from from an unamed former member of the AB backroom staff "Richie cheats at the breakdown. Everybody knows that" he went on to say "I was sacked for threatening to expose our crack team of adidas poaches writing huge cheques to islanders in the pacific region to come and play for us" adding "the NZRU offered me a compromise role in our Prepared Excuses Team" but they are becoming so fanciful and frankly pathetic that I rejected the offer". Mr BLANK emphasised that he still wanted the ABs to finally win a "proper world cup" but that he was concerned about the "mental fragility which has historically plagued our wonderful pacific collective".
He summarised by saying "despite whats happened, I am a true kiwi unlike the majority of our squad. I dont much like Quade Cooper"

I hope you have sources for those quotes!

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:04 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
ruck40fun wrote:GG, this is a wind-up surely? Even someone as myopic as you should see the blatant double-standards being displayed in this thread with your constant whingeing about forward passes and referees being biased.

Get over it, Australia were infinately better on the day and deserved their win, fair play to NZ for getting back into the game, but the best team won and blaming the ref for your team's failings is a bit sad, if not hugely amusing!

It's infinitely, not infinately. You should be careful with superlatives like this. I suspect you are tending toward hyperbole. A team infinitely better then the opposition would lead to a much more lopsided scoreline.

To be honest I think your suggestions border on ignorance.

And infinitely is not a superlative, people is glass houses GG. Wink

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:13 am

Wow, i was off the pace with that comment! My computer is dire.

I actually agree with Leinster's point re the obsession with 'exciting' rugby. Styles make matches and i think there's something to be said for teams that execute 10 man rugby really well.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:29 am

There is something to be said:

B O OOO OO O OOO RRRRRR IIIINNN GGGGGGG

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:07 am

If you think rugby union is boring, then why not focus on rugby league? There isn't as much kicking, set pieces or drop goals. There are no mauls and there are plenty of tries. Sounds like your perfect sport no?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:24 am

That's a thought... two on-field referees, like in rugby league.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 am

leinsterbaby wrote:If you think rugby union is boring, then why not focus on rugby league? There isn't as much kicking, set pieces or drop goals. There are no mauls and there are plenty of tries. Sounds like your perfect sport no?

I don't think rugby is boring. I think negative cynical rugby, where a team get 3 points ahead and then form a stationary ruck and wait for full time is boring. I think 10 man rugby is boring. I think trying not to lose rather than trying to win is boring. I don't know why guys would sign up to play a sport and then spend 80 minutes trying not to play it. I detest negative cynical tactics like killing the ball every time it gets into your 22, conceding 3 instead of trusting your defense in case you concede 7. I detest the cowardly half way line drop goal attempt (unless it's being carried out successfully by a back row forward against England in a world cup).

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 am

Just been announced that one of Craig Joubert, Wayne Barnes. Nigel Owens or George Clancy will ref the World Cup final. Interesting.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 am

If by some fluke NZ make it to the final and England mess up and don't make the final I hope to God Wayne Barnes is the ref , just for GG....hang on, perhaps not, that would just give GG an attempt at yet another excuse for another choke.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 pm

GG will find an excuse whatever happens. He is just that sort of person

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:14 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:There is something to be said:

B O OOO OO O OOO RRRRRR IIIINNN GGGGGGG

Haha, that tells me!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Nigel Owens will get the final I reckon.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Refs to have a hard and thankless job, they could give a penalty at every ruck if they wanted to, some actually do, and get criticised for spoiling the game, and not letting it flow. Others let the game flow and get accused of being blind and not enforcing the rules, they can;t win.

All you can really ask of every referee is to apply their rules equally to both teams, and that doesnt happen enough.
Ospreys V Leinster last night being a case in point. Fitzgerald was a disgrace and was blatantly helping Leinster to try and get them back into the game, for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half, in the end he gave up and started being fair again.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:26 am

red_stag wrote:Just been announced that one of Craig Joubert, Wayne Barnes. Nigel Owens or George Clancy will ref the World Cup final. Interesting.

It's sad if that's the case. One would think that the final would be awarded on the basis of merit during the tournement.

As far as the refs go, I'm not a fan of any of them. That's primarily because my team (the AB's) are almost always on the wrong side of the penalty count with these refs.

it's also interesting if it is the case, given recent comments about expectations of the referees by the IRB. For instance both Clancy and Barnes allow the tackler to attack the ball without releasing the tackled player. Which preumably is one of the key issues OBrien talked about this week.

I worry if this is the case, we'll revert to the kick fest of 2007.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 am

A kick fest like the super 15 final? Kiwis are on the wrong side of the refs because they infringe more than anyone at the breakdown. They dont get penalised enough if you ask me.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:32 am

leinsterbaby wrote:A kick fest like the super 15 final? Kiwis are on the wrong side of the refs because they infringe more than anyone at the breakdown. They dont get penalised enough if you ask me.

I see we've lost the propaganda war. Maybe we just need a press that harps, on and on and on and on about how the opposition are cheats, year after year after year after year.

Wink

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:26 am

You do. Kiwi press are ridiculous. Probably worse that the british press.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:28 am

Interesting to see that POB's statement today, which says:

(a) Referees are never influenced by the media
(b) That he feels referees have "taken the foot off" the "new rule interpretations" and that he wants to clarify again the rulings that refs should "go back to."

To me that sounds like the RWC will be refereed yet again, under slightly different interpretations than the recent test matches. What chance do players have? Surely POB should be making sure they don't "take the foot off" rather than just mindlessly backing the sort of inept performances we've seen recently.

He finished off by saying that the areas of concern were:

* foul play off the ball
* the off side line
* giving the attacking team space
* tackler releasing

Yep Paddy, just keep convincing yourself you're not influenced by the media...

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:50 pm

...in particular the new Zealand media.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Thats right Kiwi's, get your excuses in early. Richie has always been unlucky with Refs....right?

And you call us whingers!....You guys take it to an altogether higher level!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:35 pm

I think it was Stuart Barnes who wrote in todays Sunday Times that Kiwis are emotionally quite childish. In rugby terms this is fairly true it has to be said.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:52 pm

The shiiit that everyone gives each other is pretty childish.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:26 am

leinsterbaby wrote:I think it was Stuart Barnes who wrote in todays Sunday Times that Kiwis are emotionally quite childish. In rugby terms this is fairly true it has to be said.

All New Zealanders have a genetic defect that makes us emotionally childish, but mostly on the rugby side of the sequence.

But thanks for small mercies. I'd rather have that than the genetic defect that makes me an overweight pompous egotistic pompous ball sack who feels the need to make sweeping borderline racist generalisations about the psychological make up of the populate of an entire country.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 am

Leinsterbaby
Besides Kiwis are there any other nationalities that are emotionally quite childish?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:I think it was Stuart Barnes who wrote in todays Sunday Times that Kiwis are emotionally quite childish. In rugby terms this is fairly true it has to be said.

All New Zealanders have a genetic defect that makes us emotionally childish, but mostly on the rugby side of the sequence.

But thanks for small mercies. I'd rather have that than the genetic defect that makes me an overweight pompous egotistic pompous ball sack who feels the need to make sweeping borderline racist generalisations about the psychological make up of the populate of an entire country.

The irony in your post is 'bordering on' amusing. You have both.

That said the majority of the kiwi posters on 606 are knowledgeable, often amusing and clearly actual rugby fans. Certainly not emotionally childish. Barnes is egotistical (you are spot on there), he is basically an anglo Welsh version of you GG although perhaps slightly less hate filled, and Mugabe like in how he expresses himself.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:13 am

Steady on. Mugabe like?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 am

he hates Britain and is always ranting about it like a madman.

Thats where the similarities end (I hope)

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:21 pm

And heres that Greyghost spach in full :

New Zealand won its independence on 20th June, 1987, after a protracted war against British colonial imperialism which denied us human rights and democracy. That colonial system which suppressed and oppressed us enjoyed the support of many countries of the West who were signatories to the IRB charter.

Even after 1945, it would appear that the Berlin Conference of 1884, through which th South Sea Islands was parcelled to colonial European powers, remained stronger than the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is therefore clear that for the North, vested economic interests, racial and ethnocentric considerations proved stronger than their adherence to principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The North still negates our sovereignties by way of control of our player resources, in the process making us mere chattels in out own lands, mere minders of its trans-national interests and Rikki Flutey. In my own country and other sister states in Southern Africa, the most visible form of this control has been second rate rugby league rejects from us at the onset of British professionalism.

That control largely persists, although it stands firmly challenged in New Zealand, thereby triggering the current stand-off between us and Britain, supported by her cousin states, most notably the United Celtic Lands and Australia. Mr Woodward, Mr. Robinson and now Mr Johnson's sense of human rights precludes our people's right to their God-given resources, which in their view must be controlled by their kith and kin. I am termed dictator because I have rejected this supremacist view and frustrated the neo-colonialists.

Mr President,

Clearly the history of the struggle for out own national and people's rights is unknown to the president of the RFU. He thinks the Declaration of Human Rights starts with his last term in office! He thinks she can introduce to us, who bore the brunt of fighting for the freedoms of our peoples, the virtues of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. What rank hypocrisy!

Paddy O'Brian is responsible for the death of well over 50 000 of my people. I bear scars of his tyranny which Britain and Australia condoned. I meet his victims everyday. Yet he walks free. He farms free. He talks freely, associates freely under an all black Government. We taught him democracy. We gave him back his humanity.

He would have faced a different fate here and in Europe if the refers he appointd he killed were New Zealanders. New Zealand has not called for a Nuremberg trial against the Northern Hemisphres officials who committed heinous crimes against its own humanity. It has not hunted perpetrators of this genocide, many of whom live to this day, nor has it got reparations from those who offended against it. Instead it is New Zealand which is in the dock, facing trial from the same world that persecuted it for centuries.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Libel Case. Ka-ching.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:46 pm

You're right, Bobby M would be offended by the comparisson

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 pm

GG just a bit of (free) legal advice, I'm not sure you would want to risk being counter sued for libel old chap. If it was race for bancruptcy, you'd definitely be driving the fastest car on 606, as it were.

Good day to you.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 am

This is the silliest conversation I've ever seen.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 am

From most people Id happily accept that, but from you GG? Im pretty sure youve had much sillier ones than this.

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed insult to another poster. Remember attack the argument not the poster)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 am

No, this is by far the silliest.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:03 am

There is certainly something quite slapstick about you GG, a modern day Benny Hill figure.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 am

I'm no the one posting bizarre political rants and substituting a few words to make it sound like it's talking about rugby and then trying to ascribe it to me for some reason which eludes me.

That's just surreal and a little bit freaky.

This started off as a nice thread about a poor Irish referee and has just become some dumping ground for people's freaky-ness.

Does't anyone have anything to say about rugby?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 am

Thats an odd sentiment GG, considering that you habitually use rugby to attack a country, its history, people, transport network, migratory systems, and pretty much everything else.
Peter Seabiscuit Wheelers satirical post was quite apt when you consider that Mugabe does exactly the same only without dragging rugby into it. His preferred method of cloaking his vitriol was cricket if I remember correctly.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:50 am

kiwi...i wasnt insulting him, i was jokingly refering to the point he made wearlier in which he said that he was geneticaly childish.

GG...come on you know it was a joke regarding teh mugabe speach, but you have to admit there is a paralell between his assertaion that Britain is continuing its colonial control of former african colonies visa the UN to exploit their resources and your own assertions that the RFU exersizes a control of the IRB referee selection and exploits the player resources of the SH sides. Someone even accussed the RFU of neo colonialsim recently ( may not have been you, I cant be bothered to check so Ill just go ahead and make out it was you as I dont have a TMO to do it for me).

Anyway this "discussion" was silly from the start, and you quite happily participated in the sillines on many occassions, so dont try and come across as grown up now....Stephen Jones has outed "your lot" as immature silly billies and obviously as a Brit I am a strict beleiver in his philosophy.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 am

Come on now...this is going from silly to ridiculous.

You are not surely attempting to appeal to the mighty impartial authority of Stephen Jones are you? the most notoriously one-eyed anti-Kiwi pundit in the world, possibly bar the recent ramping up of Mr Reason Jr.??

Laughable. Simply laughable.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Its actually staggering that anyone, even you an expert at wallowing in self pity, could feel victimised by Stephen Jones!

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Sure Kiwis have a right to feel victimised by Stephen Jones
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Come on now...this is going from silly to ridiculous.

You are not surely attempting to appeal to the mighty impartial authority of Stephen Jones are you? the most notoriously one-eyed anti-Kiwi pundit in the world, possibly bar the recent ramping up of Mr Reason Jr.??

Laughable. Simply laughable.

No I am clearly making a joke

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 am

Stephen Jones is just the British version of Chris Rattue ie a loudmouth fool who writes controversially to sell papers. I dont think you'll find many English or Welsh fans who get as het up about his bile as GG does about Stephen Jones. Its a victim thing, some people like to wallow in self pity others see it as a waste of time and a bit pathetic....

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:22 am

I don't get "het up" about Stephen Jones. I don't bother reading anything he writes, in the same way I don't listen to anything Stu Barnes or Miles Harrison, Marto, Clarkie or Kearnsey have to say, except in a kind of bemused way.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:35 am

Actually I just read his last (?) article which included a bit about NZ's weakness being at halfback.
I thought it was lucid and not at all silly
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:I don't get "het up" about Stephen Jones. I don't bother reading anything he writes, in the same way I don't listen to anything Stu Barnes or Miles Harrison, Marto, Clarkie or Kearnsey have to say, except in a kind of bemused way.

Basically you only listen to biased Kiwis and ignore all non kiwi pundits?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 am

No, I just don't listen to the biased and clueless British pundits who are surely the most ignorant in the world.

Here's a clue. When was the last time you heard a British pundit say "We don't know much about player X". Never, they have some crib notes that someone else put together for them and then they go and mouth off based on stereotypes and 1 dimensional prejudiced dogma.

The noble island savages will certainly provide a physical challenge to we Brits. McCaw will surely be cheating at the breakdown. The "dazzling" Aussie backs will be a hand full for the defense. it's boring apart from being inaccurate and predictable.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:01 am

Kearnsey isn't British, I presume you mean Aussie legend Phil kearns anyway. Some commentators have their notes prepared for them so what it's the same in NZ. I listen to the stuff.co.nz pod casts among other Kiwi pod casts and radio stations such as radio sport 1332 etc and they constantly confuse Irish players for welsh players etc but it is interesting to hear the perspective of different nations Rugbys rugby personalities. It might open your mind.

I find both Barnes and Dallaglio quite impartial.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 am

I didn't say Kearns was British. I said I don't listen to anything that any idiot says. Frankly my mind is sufficiently open to recognise BS when I hear it. And the stuff peddled out in British commentaries is the worst in the world.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next