The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

+28
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
hampo17
cherriesfna
Stella
nasisillmatic
terdgar
BigPhil
TipToes88
CFCNick
Kenny
liverbnz
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
Philys
Gaelic-Warrior
super_realist
Kingshu
ronin47
AlexHuckerby
Scottrf
Grizzly
The Galveston Giant
sodhat
Kay Fabe
westisbest
Marky
User Name
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? - Page 2 Empty Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Adrian Durham and Darren Gough were discussing this today on TalkSport and both guys agreed that fully grown men should not wear football shirts in the public domain or more to the point outside of actually attending a match.

At the time of their DriveTime show finishing the poll was 70/30 in favour of men wearing their favourite clubs shirts wherever and whenever they wanted.

I personally am split down the middle on this important issue!! I have never brought a shirt since I started full time employment though I have purchased a couple of England rugby shirts for some reason!

I have to say that there is no worse-a-sight than seeing a 47 year old balding fat Chelsea fan wearing a 2002/3 season away shirt with Lampard on the back sweating into his beer in my local!

There is also a family at the end of my road who wear nothing but Man Utd attire 24/7 which I find offensive!

Anyway guys what do you think?!!

Cheers Guys.

Back to top Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by Crimey Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

super_realist wrote:You wouldn't wear your Michael Phelps signature speedo's or Chris Hoy velodrome suit or Golf gear out to do the same because you know you'd look a tw@t, but apparently some people think wearing a football shirt looks acceptable.

That's because it is! Most ordinary people do think it's acceptable to wear a football shirt as a casual shirt.

I imagine the only reason I haven't got one is 1. they're far too expensive for what you get, and 2. I can't be bothered getting into arguments in town with some drunken Man United fan just for wearing the shirt.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

Would you wear a bright orange/red/blue polyester/nylon button up collared shirt to work or a night out?

Of course not, it's not that people think a football shirt looks cool, comfortable or stylish (it most certainly doesn't) it's that people for some reason feel the need to be associated with a team badge to other people. That's insecurity, like people hanging flags from their Benidorm holiday balcony.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:52 am

You have a strange outlook on life, SR.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

Why, because I think football shirts are a frightful and tasteless garment for general wear?
I would have thought it just made me a bit more discerning.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

The only one coming across as insecure here is you super_realist.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Really, OK, next time you have a job interview. Wear a football strip and see where it gets you. The only place for a strip is on the pitch, and perhaps in the stands. Should never be seen on an adult outside of that arena.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:01 am

super_realist wrote:Really, OK, next time you have a job interview. Wear a football strip and see where it gets you. The only place for a strip is on the pitch, and perhaps in the stands. Should never be seen on an adult outside of that arena.

But the question isn't, 'would you wear a football kit to a job interview'? . You're missing the point.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:04 am

Stella, I don't have a problem with people wearing a shirt to play football, I can't really make much of an argument for wearing one to the match, but can't really see why anyone would think they look good in any other situation.

Women must cringe when they have to be seen with their partners in those ghastly garments.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:06 am

Your just bringing in ridiculous examples to validate your prejudice. I wouldn't wear a football shirt to an interview in the same way I wouldn't wear tracksuit bottoms, jeans, pjs or my bloody birthday suit but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them at any other time.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:07 am

super_realist wrote:Stella, I don't have a problem with people wearing a shirt to play football, I can't really make much of an argument for wearing one to the match, but can't really see why anyone would think they look good in any other situation.

Women must cringe when they have to be seen with their partners in those ghastly garments.

Fair enough but I personally don't have one with somebody wearing a Footie/Rugby shirt whilst shopping etc, as they are casual shirts. Out for dinner, job interviews, limo driving then no, but I expect most would agree.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

And you are perfectly within your rights to do so, but the question is, Should Fully grown men wear football shirts?, whereupon I am perfectly within my rights to say in response to that question that I think it looks ridiculous and give you my reasons for coming to that conclusion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:17 am

That's fine, but is there a need judge people on it?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:23 am

It is perfectly reasonable to profer an opinion on it other than just answering in the affirmative or in the negative, what's the point in just answering YES or NO? It's a forum which is here primarily to provoke debate and discussion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:28 am

super_realist wrote:It is perfectly reasonable to profer an opinion on it other than just answering in the affirmative or in the negative, what's the point in just answering YES or NO? It's a forum which is here primarily to provoke debate and discussion.

Of course and tbh, I do enjoy your posts, as they normally do but I cannot see the point of bringing job interviews into the discussion when any sane person wouldn't wear his Oldham Athletic top to it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:33 am

It was perhaps an extreme example, however, I still think that a football shirt in any other place than the pitch or begrudgingly the stadium is innappropriate and tasteless, as it isn't a quality, stylish or good looking garment.

THe point is you do see people wear them in ridiculous places, ok, probably not in a job interview, I just can't understand why anyone would want to wear them when they are so very horrible as an article of clothing.

Isn't an Oldham fan in a job interview an oxymoron anyway? Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:37 am

I've less trouble with a shirt wearer than Tony Pulis Chav attire
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

Well, that's a whole new debate. Sports gear on people not doing sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:00 am

super_realist wrote:It is perfectly reasonable to profer an opinion on it other than just answering in the affirmative or in the negative, what's the point in just answering YES or NO? It's a forum which is here primarily to provoke debate and discussion.

I've never once said there was a problem with having an opinion which I thought I'd made clear in my previous post.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:02 am

Nothing wrong with people wearing football shrts in public.

If you have an issue with it SR, thats up to you, just think your going a bit OTT.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:07 am

I wear them with pride. I'm supporting my club. Football shirts can work as ice breakers and help you make friends sometimes too. Someone will see you out and strike up a conversation.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

Thats true MockingJay33

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:09 am

MockingJay33 wrote:I wear them with pride. I'm supporting my club. Football shirts can work as ice breakers and help you make friends sometimes too. Someone will see you out and strike up a conversation.

Or punch you boxing

Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

liverbnz wrote:

I've never once said there was a problem with having an opinion which I thought I'd made clear in my previous post.

HOwever if you try and back up your reasons for saying Men shouldn't wear football strips you complain I'm being judgemental?

Can't have it both ways.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

Labelling somebody a 'classless pikey' or 'embarrassing' because of what they wear is not really offering an opinion though is it? It's prejudice, which says much more about you than it does those you are judging.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:43 am

Well, it's my opinion. What do you think when you see someone wearing a football shirt whilst shopping with his wife? Doyene of cool, font of sophistication?

Classless pikey and embarrassing are fairly moderate descriptions really.

I've never seen a racing fan out in racing silks of their favourite trainer, a tennis fan out in a tennis skirt or an F1 fan out doing the shopping in a racing suit.

It's a terrible look, especially given the shape of many of them

For the record, I said it makes me think of classless pikeys, not that they were.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

Stella wrote:
MockingJay33 wrote:I wear them with pride. I'm supporting my club. Football shirts can work as ice breakers and help you make friends sometimes too. Someone will see you out and strike up a conversation.

Or punch you boxing

Very Happy

The most likely situation is that other people couldn't care less who you support.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

1) I generally don't think anything about someone based on what they wear. Neither do I think a person's shape should define their style. It's up to the individual.

2) As for the comparisons with other sports, football is much more tribal, that much is balatantly obvious, so a football top is a symbol of your chosen tribe I guess. But more importantly, it's just a bloody T-shirt with some company names embriodered which is generally much more practical than a full racing suit or a tennis skirt - but then this is you venturing into the ridiculous again.

3) Splitting hairs now really. Which ever way you worded it, it amounts to about the same.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Ok super_realist. Here's the argument we are all making.

1. We wear our shirts with pride. We don't care what people think because we don't care what others wear either.
2. We wear them if we're doing something casual or only on matchdays wherever we might be on that particular day.
3. None of us would wear them to anything formal like a night out to dinner or a club or a job interview. Believe it or not I wear football shirts but I also have a couple of suits to choose from for interviews.
4. Nobody in their right mind would wear racing gear or speedo's. That's just ridiculous.
5. They're just t-shirts for crying out loud. Get a grip.

That's our opinion. If you feel differently that's fine but the points you're using are totally ridiculous and you're just insulting people. I respect this is a forum and a place to have a lively debate but if you can't use better words, maybe more personal to your own opinion of how it makes you feel rather than flat out insulting other people, dont post until you can.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:Ok super_realist. Here's the argument we are all making.

1. We wear our shirts with pride. We don't care what people think because we don't care what others wear either.
2. We wear them if we're doing something casual or only on matchdays wherever we might be on that particular day.
3. None of us would wear them to anything formal like a night out to dinner or a club or a job interview. Believe it or not I wear football shirts but I also have a couple of suits to choose from for interviews.
4. Nobody in their right mind would wear racing gear or speedo's. That's just ridiculous.

That's our opinion. If you feel differently that's fine but the points you're using are totally ridiculous and you're just insulting people. I respect this is a forum and a place to have a lively debate but if you can't use better words, maybe more personal to your own opinion of how it makes you feel rather than flat out insulting other people, dont post until you can.

Fair enough, I articulated myself perfectly well, you simply seem to have taken offence because of your view on football shirts.
Wear your shirts with "pride" (although its a funny thing to be proud of), but I reserve the right to think you look sad, embarrassing, style-less and tacky.

Detante?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Stella wrote:

Or punch you boxing

Very Happy

The most likely situation is that other people couldn't care less who you support.

I think most Football fans will take note and in certain situations will make a comment, most probably jovial.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:53 pm

super_realist wrote:
MockingJay33 wrote:Ok super_realist. Here's the argument we are all making.

Fair enough, I articulated myself perfectly well, you simply seem to have taken offence because of your view on football shirts.
Wear your shirts with "pride" (although its a funny thing to be proud of), but I reserve the right to think you look sad, embarrassing, style-less and tacky.

Detante?

I haven't taken offence because of my views on football shirts. I've taken offence because of the words I've highlighted above. You're mocking me and what I'm proud of because you think not wearing football shirts makes you holier than thou. I haven't mocked you, I've given my opinion on your opinion without getting personal or making prejudice yet you continue to throw insults my way. I'm not gonna let it ruin my day because you're just a anonymous username on an Internet forum.

This is the last I'll say on the subject.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:04 pm

For offence read "whining".

How can anyone take "offence" on a tinpot forum in regard to someones opinions or choice of words?
I'm sure my words/opinion will not stop you from wearing your stylish, dashing, high quality nylon, tastefull, debonair shirt with "pride".

They aren't insults, they are simply my opinion of how I THINK (please take note that I include this) you look to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

I know I said I wouldn't comment further but how you don't see your insults is beyond me. I know it's only a forum and words can't break my bones but you're openly mocking me and saying you think I'm a tacky classless pikey because I like to wear a football shirt in public is a form of insult and bullying. Which in this case is also unprovoked.

Last edited by MockingJay33 on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

I'm not saying you are, I'm sure you aren't, I'm saying that when I see a grown man in the street in a football top, that's what it makes me think of.

It isn't an insult or mocking you personally, you'd know for sure if I'd done that so it really isn't my fault if a) you can't see the distinction or b) that you take offence at something so petty as a result of your misunderstanding.

I haven't openly called anyone anything.

To call it an insult or bullying is merely showing a lack of knowledge of the context in regard to the response of the original question and the English language.

Can you imagine the complaint. "Mummy mummy, some horrible man said that my adult football strip reminded him of a classless pikey"

I'm sure she'd tell you to grow up and stop behaving like someone looking to be offended.

We disagree on the merits of football tops for grown adult men in public. Can't we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

As for Aberdeen, well that also shows your lack of knowledge. It's one of the wealthiest cities in the UK, has some of the most expensive houses and some of the biggest contributors to the UK treasury in terms of corporation tax in the whole UK, in fact outside of London last year it is the only city in the UK to experience any growth at all in 2012, so I'm far less likely to see a pikey here than in say, i dunno, Bedford.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

super_realist wrote: I'm not saying you are, I'm sure you aren't, I'm saying that when I see a grown man in the street in a football top, that's what it makes me think of.

Well if you're not directing it at me you could try wording it differently to avoid someone like me misunderstanding.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

No Jay, I won't. I can't account for your misinterpretation.

The question is Should fully grown men wear football strips. it is not Should fully grown men called MockingJay33 wear football shirts?

Surely even you cannot believe I was singling out anyone?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm

Mockingjay33:

I wouldn't take any offence from what super realist has to say as unfortunately he's quite clearly one of the biggest wind up merchants on this forum. He will use childish insults such as classless pikey in order to provoke a response from somebody like yourself and then pretend that it's all a bit of fun and people should take it all in good faith. I have seen him do it in a number of forums over the years and its always provoked angry reactions. One particular comment about irish people led him to be banned for a day or two if i remember correctly. It surprises me actually how some people accept the nonsense that he posts on here on occassion. I say occassion as i will admit he does contribute to some debates admirably. Tell me this super if this is such a tin pot forum then why do seem to have nothing better to do in life than to come on here and enjoy winding people up? It's beyond me how you can honestly believe that calling somebody a classless pikey isn't an insult. For a change why don't you actually write something with a positive manner instead of constantly deriding people and concentrating on their negative aspects? You are starting to lead me to the conclusion that you believe yourself to be perfect and above everyone else.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

Seve_The_Great wrote:Mockingjay33:

I wouldn't take any offence from what super realist has to say as unfortunately he's quite clearly one of the biggest wind up merchants on this forum. He will use childish insults such as classless pikey in order to provoke a response from somebody like yourself and then pretend that it's all a bit of fun and people should take it all in good faith. I have seen him do it in a number of forums over the years and its always provoked angry reactions. One particular comment about irish people led him to be banned for a day or two if i remember correctly. It surprises me actually how some people accept the nonsense that he posts on here on occassion. I say occassion as i will admit he does contribute to some debates admirably. Tell me this super if this is such a tin pot forum then why do seem to have nothing better to do in life than to come on here and enjoy winding people up? It's beyond me how you can honestly believe that calling somebody a classless pikey isn't an insult. For a change why don't you actually write something with a positive manner instead of constantly deriding people and concentrating on their negative aspects? You are starting to lead me to the conclusion that you believe yourself to be perfect and above everyone else.

Again, not an insult, or at least one not directed at anyone in particular. I was also not banned for any comments about the Irish. I've only ever been banned once for using an acronym.

As for it being tinpot, well it can still be tinpot and fun, which it is, but no one is going to convince me it's the Oxford Debating Society.

I'm perfectly willing to accept criticism, but I'm not willing to apologise for anything which I THINK or which people choose to misinterpret.

Once again, I have not called anyone a classless pikey. I have said that the wearing of football strips by adults REMINDS me of a classless pikey. I accept there might be people who might not grasp English terribly well, but that is a blatant distinction and I shouldn't have to explain it to those who can't make it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:11 pm

Every adult I've ever met that has been wearing a football shirt when neither playing nor watching a football match has, in my opinion, looked both stupid and been a half wit.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:13 pm

Hibbz, just wait for the vitriol (despite you stating the crucial words "in my opinion)

Prepare for a tide of faux-fence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

If they're really worried what I think then they could always cover said football shirt with their matching shell suit.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

I tend to agree with super-realist here. I got to a certain age when I decided I looked a bit Poopie and bit tacky wearing a football shirt, so I stopped.
For adults I believe they should only really wear them when either playing or attending the team of said shirt as I believe a crowd full of people wearing their teams colours is a good showing of support.
Otherwise they should be for kids only. In my opinion!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

People taking the pee out of others wearing Football shirts and stereotyping them remind me of snobbish bore's.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

Stella wrote:People taking the pee out of others wearing Football shirts and stereotyping them remind me of snobbish bore's.

By jove, I think he's finally got it, well almost, still a little bit to go.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

Damn, was wanting a better reaction than that.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

Super realist: You were still banned either way so not really anything for a grown adult to be proud of. Ah yes of course silly little me! Saying that somebody who wears a football shirt reminds you of a classless pikey could never be seen as insulting to a person who does where one. Notice how those above have managed to express their opinion without using such attention seeking comments? Finally care to elaborate on how when you say to our friend above you think he'd look style less, tacky and embarrassing in a football shirt it's not an insult? Or am i misinterpreting that one as well? This should be good.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:39 pm

Seve, I'm not going to change the style in which I write to appease you, a poster of a mere 26 posts, whose almost exclusive target has been me.

You're perfectly entitled to have a go at me or to disgree with my opinions, but I'm not going to change them, in order to fit in with your apparent liberal, pc utopia.

I have never claimed to have been proud of being banned and considering you weren't around at the time or what the circumstances were I don't quite see the merit in your comparison to grown men wearing football shirts and being "proud" of it as if shirt wearing was some sort of achievement.

Finally, anyone taking offence at anything I say is clearly either looking to be offended or is probably over sensitive. You don't have a right to be offended, and if you are, who cares, no one has a right to not be offended, especially when the words written were not remotely personal or targeted. just ignore it and get on with your life.

Nobody forces anyone to read or respond to anything anyone writes, if it breaks rules the moderators act as appropriate.
If you don't like it simply ignore it as I do with posts I can't be bothered or interested enough to respond to.

If anything the comments above me contained contained far more blatant attacks on those that wear such shirts in public. Perhaps a bit too subtle for you though?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

Super, yes i agree that you should not have to change your writing style in order to please the likes of me but i do not agree that just because i am not a regular poster this somehow weakens my say in proceedings. I will also agree that i have perhaps have targeted you on occassion but as a daily reader of the forum i can sometimes not help myself when reading some of the comments you write on here.

However to claim that when you have quite clearly directly labelled somebody embarrassing (amongst other insults) in plain view for everybody to see, to then go on and say it's their fault that they are offended is quite clearly laughable. If you don't think what you said about him being style less and tacky isn't targeted or personal then i worry for you. Put it this way if i walked up to somebody in the street who had down syndrome and said that they looked odd would it be their fault that i'd offended them? If people take offence to what you say ( which im certain you're always looking/hoping for) then its you fault and nobody elses.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

Seve, believe and interpret as you wish, I don't really care. If people choose to be offended by someones opinion or the manner in which I write, it isn't my problem, I've been on here long enough and written enough for people to know how to take it. I haven't broken any forum rules, but I will ask you one thing. Have you never expressed concern with what a friend, relative partner etc is wearing or had their hair styled, either to their face or behind their back. I don't believe you haven't. What I said is no different from that at all. I simply don't believe you have a laissez faire and live and let live attitude to anything. Having no opinion and being bland as a result, is far worse

Your comparison of a football shirt and downs syndrome is utterly stupid. One is choice, the other isn't.

THe whole point of a forum is different viewpoints, and if it was all light and no shade (i.e opinions you didn't agree with) it would be very boring.

So continue to pretend to be offended if you wish, I don't care, and I'll still hold the opinion that you look like a buffoon if you wear a football shirt in the street. It's hardly the worst thing you can say about someone is it? And please don't worry about me either, it's creepy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2