The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

+28
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
hampo17
cherriesfna
Stella
nasisillmatic
terdgar
BigPhil
TipToes88
CFCNick
Kenny
liverbnz
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
Philys
Gaelic-Warrior
super_realist
Kingshu
ronin47
AlexHuckerby
Scottrf
Grizzly
The Galveston Giant
sodhat
Kay Fabe
westisbest
Marky
User Name
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? Empty Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

Adrian Durham and Darren Gough were discussing this today on TalkSport and both guys agreed that fully grown men should not wear football shirts in the public domain or more to the point outside of actually attending a match.

At the time of their DriveTime show finishing the poll was 70/30 in favour of men wearing their favourite clubs shirts wherever and whenever they wanted.

I personally am split down the middle on this important issue!! I have never brought a shirt since I started full time employment though I have purchased a couple of England rugby shirts for some reason!

I have to say that there is no worse-a-sight than seeing a 47 year old balding fat Chelsea fan wearing a 2002/3 season away shirt with Lampard on the back sweating into his beer in my local!

There is also a family at the end of my road who wear nothing but Man Utd attire 24/7 which I find offensive!

Anyway guys what do you think?!!

Cheers Guys.

Back to top Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? Empty Re: Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by User Name Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

They can wear what they want, but they do look daft.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Should fully grown men wear football shirts? Empty Re: Should fully grown men wear football shirts?

Post by Marky Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

I don't see a problem personally.

Funnily enough here's a picture of Fernando wearing his football shirt

Spoiler:

Last edited by Marky on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

There's no problem with it imo.

Dont think they look stupid.

End of the day who cares what people say/think.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

I think grown men look utterly ridiculous wearing a strip, I'd only ever wear a football top when I'm playing or when I'm following my team away in Europe

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sat 06 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Personally speaking I won't wear them except at a match or if I'm out for a kickabout or something...

It just doesn't feel right anymore. As a kid I wore nothing but footy shirts -- I had loads of different ones! Nowadays I think I'm too old to manage it though.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

I think it's a fair point, i don't really feel comfortable now unless i'm going to train etc, totally different on match days and the like though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

If the millions that do buy shirts suddenly stopped then there would be a huge black hole in the accounts of every club, the divas that represent the club might then only be able to demand around £50k a week and how can they be expected to live off that ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 08 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

Bearable for attending matches, name/number on the back is unacceptable though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

I haven't worn a Football shirt in years to be honest... Used to wear my England one all the time, now I would much rather wear something from River Island or Topman or something as I realised it wasn't a particularly good look...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

Its totally up to them of course,
but 99% of them look like right plonkers.

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:23 pm

I don't mind them, Have never bought one as I wounldn't get the wear out of it (Celtic fan in Belfast) as I wounldn't like to wear it when I'm out and about (same with an Ulster rugby top, or Antrim GAA top), I think they are to expensive for all the wear i'd get from them.

But what I don't really like is when people wear them to slihty more formal occasions (like mass/church, and the like) or wear the wrong shirt to a sporting occasion. ie celtic shirts to ROI games or Ireland Rugby games Rangers/Linfield shirts to NI games etc

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

'or wear the wrong shirt to a sporting occasion. ie celtic shirts to ROI games or Ireland Rugby games Rangers/Linfield shirts to NI games etc.'

I'm not convinced these are errors, just (misplaced) political statements in a sporting arena...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

There is no need for anyone above the age of 16 to wear any sort of football attire. The one caveat I would have is obviously when one partakes in a game, but wearing one to the football (or anywhere else) is just as sad as the golf fan who turns up at The Open togged up as if he's about to play.

I once saw an entire family decked out in the full Dundee strip whilst on holiday in Turkey, top, socks and shorts and I think it was the saddest thing i've ever seen in my life.
Generally the preserve of the thick, empty headed numbskull.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

Sometimes though you do look at a football shirt as being part of your 'good clothes' after all I've go designer shirts in my 'good clothes' that cost less than a football top, so maybe the football top should be in that bracket as well.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:38 pm

It must've been bad if that was all they had to talk about that day.

This isn't really a big deal to be honest, sure you get some stupid looking auld fat bar stewards and people like what super_realist is talking about. Not everyone wearing a football shirt falls into this though, and there's a big difference between that and going to the open golf and looking like you're about to play, realist- it's just a shirt.

I wear my Liverpool, NFL and Rugby jerseys occasionally and neither look nor feel like a "thick, empty headed numbskull", if nobody likes it then that's their tough Poopie.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Philys Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

yes aslong as its not got DAD 1 on the back i dont see a problem

Philys

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:53 am

There isn't a football strip in the world that fits in with the description of tasteful, from the colours used to the nasty nasty material used to construct them you'd have to have something wrong with you to wear it as a casual garment. I pity the women who have to be seen with those wearing them. Are people really so insecure that they have to be seen to be part of some sort of tribe?
Whenever I see someone wearing a football top in the street it just makes me think of a classless pikey.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

super_realist wrote:Whenever I see someone wearing a football top in the street it just makes me think of a classless pikey.

That is extremley judgemental....

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

Crimey, you'll get used to his incredibly negative views.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

I know he's negative, but that's just weirdly judgemental.

It would be like me claiming he's a depressed, perhaps slightly unhinged man who has serious problems with the world and his life just because he's really negative on a football discussion board.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

If they want to yes. And they should be able to do it without question from 2 attention seeking idiots on a lowest common denominator radio show.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

I used to hate Durham and Gough but quite like them now. They are paid to talk about subjects that provoke a reaction. It wouldn't be worth having a show if they just talked about stuff where everyone agreed. Much like this forum.
Have to say they are right though, there is no need for an adult to wear a football shirt in public. It just looms tawdry and chavvish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

liverbnz wrote:If they want to yes. And they should be able to do it without question from 2 attention seeking idiots on a lowest common denominator radio show.

Anybody that listens to TalkSport on a regular basis will know that Adrian Durham is controversial for the sake of being controversial and he always throws silly little bombs out there like the football shirts debate just to play up to that role. I don't think it makes him an idiot though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:02 pm

I'm neither a plonker or a pikey and i wear my shirt all the time , ive got every Liverpool shirt that has been sold since 1979 .

It's a personal choice
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:I'm neither a plonker or a pikey and i wear my shirt all the time , ive got every Liverpool shirt that has been sold since 1979 .

It's a personal choice
No one thinks they are a plonker or a pikey.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

It is, in my opinion, a million times worse when you see a players name printed on the back of the shirt which is just a form of hero worshiping which is a bit sad really.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

I only wear mine on matchdays usually at the pub or a friends house and when I play 6 a side on Monday nights.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:17 am

I'm weird, I'd would never wear a new shirt if I'm out doing the shopping but I'll happily chuck on one from two seasons ago. Dunno why

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:12 am

Gough and Durham are the most moronic 'presenters' on the station so it's no surprise that the public have disagreed with them on this.

I think its fine for people to wear their colours out and about, it shows a bit of pride.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by terdgar Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:50 am

interested to buy football jerseys in bulk and obviously this will be reflected in a lower price ... ideally they are original and have a considerable variety.

terdgar

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

I'd rather spend the £40 on some actual nice clothes.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Just reading this thread again. Did super_realist catch his wife shagging a bloke in nothing but a football shirt?

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:00 am

MockingJay33 wrote:Just reading this thread again. Did super_realist catch his wife shagging a bloke in nothing but a football shirt?

Laugh

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

Anyone seen the website "Full Kit W@nkers"?

Pictures of scousers and geordies doing everyday things like the shopping, driving test etc whilst wearing the full kit of their club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:31 am

I remember going to a bar with a mate and a friend of his, who turned up in a Man Utd Top, Shorts and socks.

He looked like a right lemon.

BUT....I will quite happily wear a Footie shirt wear the house or out shopping etc (not to bars).
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

I follow the twitter account and agree that grown men wearing a full official kit is stupid. Like I said above I wear my shirts mainly on matchdays wherever I am. When I play football if one of the teams I play for doesn't have a kit I wear a mishmash of shirt, shorts & socks. Only my Monday team has a kit.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

not agianst wearing shirts caussly but full fit is stupid
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

super_realist wrote:Anyone seen the website "Full Kit W@nkers"?

Pictures of scousers and geordies doing everyday things like the shopping, driving test etc whilst wearing the full kit of their club.

Haven't seen one quite as funny as the Chelsea fan posing in the shower. The game looks like he's just killed someone.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:07 am

In regards to the original question, yes a fully grown man should be allowed to wear a football shirt, it's ridiculous to think not.

However to wear a full kit? I cringe when I see young kids at football matches wearing full kits, not on
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:49 am

What's people's opinions on name and number printing? Don't mind, big no no or is personalised ok? Most of the ones I get printed are defenders or personalised.

I'm also wearing my shirt under my work uniform as it's matchday. It has David Luiz on the back and PL badges on the sleeves.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:59 am

Shirts are only acceptable for under 16's, name or no name. After that, you should dress like an adult in normal life.

Grown men, who have a "favourite" player on their already sad shirt are an embarassment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:02 am

MockingJay33 wrote:What's people's opinions on name and number printing? Don't mind, big no no or is personalised ok? Most of the ones I get printed are defenders or personalised.

I'm also wearing my shirt under my work uniform as it's matchday. It has David Luiz on the back and PL badges on the sleeves.

Not a big fan of having a players name on the back but each to their own.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

Only really wear them when playing football now and even then it's only an Argentina top or an LFC training shirt which are both pretty plain.

Although if people want to wear them into their 80s more power to them. Not a fan of (anyone) trying to tell people what they should and should not wear.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:19 am

super_realist wrote:Shirts are only acceptable for under 16's, name or no name. After that, you should dress like an adult in normal life.

Grown men, who have a "favourite" player on their already sad shirt are an embarassment.

Ok. I'll consider my name mentally crossed off any guest list you ever make.

What do you class as dressing like an adult anyway? I bet you tell your kids to not watch the tv because it will corrupt them.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

Nor am I, but if they want to wear them to do the shopping, go to a funeral etc then they ought to know they look ridiculous.

You wouldn't wear your Michael Phelps signature speedo's or Chris Hoy velodrome suit or Golf gear out to do the same because you know you'd look a tw@t, but apparently some people think wearing a football shirt looks acceptable.

Jay, that's ok, you wouldn't be welcome in your football shirt anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

Your comparisons are total BS. Yes, nobody wears speedo's to swimming or any of the others but it's football. You go, you wear your shirt with jeans or trousers and your shoes or trainers. Are you seriously arguing that something so simple as wearing a shirt, which for most at this time of year is under a zipped up jacket, makes people look like tw@ts?

I wouldn't come if you did invite me. Not with your ridiculous mind.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

I always wear me Norwich shirt to games, but very rarely am I able to go without a jumper/coat over the top of it.

Very chilly out there most of the year.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:38 am

I have an England Cricket Shirt that I wear as casual. Is this deemed ok?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

MockingJay33 wrote:Your comparisons are total BS. Yes, nobody wears speedo's to swimming or any of the others but it's football. You go, you wear your shirt with jeans or trousers and your shoes or trainers. Are you seriously arguing that something so simple as wearing a shirt, which for most at this time of year is under a zipped up jacket, makes people look like tw@ts?

I wouldn't come if you did invite me. Not with your ridiculous mind.

The point is that it's a ghastly garment and its only redeeming trait is that it's functional to PLAY in.

The material is horrible, colours are usually garish and tasteless and mostly emblazoned in a vulgar fashion with the logo of some organisation that you might not necessarily be partial to.
Nobody looks good in a football kit in the street.

I can just about understand why people might wear one to the match, but to do the shopping, go to the cinema, go for a meal, wear on holiday in a casual fasion etc. No, I can't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next