The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hype Train

+13
Strongback
JabMachineMK2
sittingringside
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
Mr Bounce
Pekchenko
TopHat24/7
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
bhb001
The Terror of Tylorstown
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
17 posters

Go down

The Hype Train Empty The Hype Train

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

Just thought id do a little thread to see peoples views on potential hyped or overhyped fighters and how far you think they can do or what they can achieve. I have listed the main contenders below:

Kovalev
GGG
Ogogo
Saunders
Gavin
Brook

Okay, i know that we have twin world champions in the lost above, but their respective opposition isn't quite on level with the likes of Martinez and Hopkins, so how far can they go? What can they achieve?

The other listed are our very own British crop of talent, one currently contracted to GBP signalling high intentions for his future.

Gavin was a world amateur champion and Saunders is an Olympic medalist who has so far proven to be the best out of the "talent" pool so far, IMO.

Thoughts gents?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

The Hype Train Empty Re: The Hype Train

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

Kovalev - long serving titlist, maybe a divisional kingpin for a little while.

Golovkin - Divisional kingpin, very possibly a pound for pounder as well.

Ogogo - A bit hard to tell so early in to his career, but I think he has a style well-suited to the professionals and I could see him snagging a title at some stage.

Saunders - Solid divisional gatekeeper, but may just fall short of a world title.

Gavin - Commonwealth / European level throughout his career, I fear.

Brook - A world titlist at some stage, but not an elite level fighter.

Difficult task, really, with a fair bit of guesswork. No doubt a shed load of people will be lining up to have a stop on about my comments regarding Golovkin, as usual.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

Was thinking the same Chris regarding the proposes Golovkin comments bo doubt about to hit this thread.

Id tend to agree with your picks there with the exception of brook who i genuinely think is the worlds most over hyped fighter in the last 2 years.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

Kovalev- Belt holder who will be beaten by Ward fairly soon
Golovkin- The man at middleweight with the retirement of Martinez, reluctant to move up
Ogogo- Too early to say
Saunders- WBO champion at either 154 or 160lbs depending on who's the weakest
Gavin- Euro level at best
Brook- Finally wins a title and keeps it for a while

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:16 pm

I fear Ogogo will get found lacking at a senior level. Maybe I am just jaded from all the prospects that just failed to be fully converted over the last few years.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Just thought id do a little thread to see peoples views on potential hyped or overhyped fighters and how far you think they can do or what they can achieve. I have listed the main contenders below:

Kovalev
GGG
Ogogo
Saunders
Gavin
Brook

Okay, i know that we have twin world champions in the lost above, but their respective opposition isn't quite on level with the likes of Martinez and Hopkins, so how far can they go? What can they achieve?

The other listed are our very own British crop of talent, one currently contracted to GBP signalling high intentions for his future.

Sorry MM but Martinez fought a lot of trash for years

Last edited by DavidBlunkettsuppercut on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

Questionable choices.

Gavin has been pretty much written off, not sure he qualifies as 'hyped' anymore.

Brook has been pretty much given up on, albeit not written off, so again, I think any 'hype-train' has long since departed.

Ogogo is interesting, no hardcore fans are doing cartwheels over him, the only hype really comes from the Goldenboy PR machine. Jury's out, IMO, hype-train parked outside the station waiting for clearance the pull in.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Kovalev- Clears up at LH, need to wait and see how well he does against other champs/contenders before predicting vs Ward- loses now to Watd if they fight

GGG- P4P King in next 3 years

Ogogo- Euro Level

Saunders- Loses out at World or wins WBO and easy defences

Gavin- looked great against Vassell- really hard to predict so either a Kevin Mitchell style career or i can see him producing a great performance against a champ nobody expects him to beat to become world champ- goes back to the fun time Franke ways and loses it in easy title defence.

Brook- fights Carson Jones 3 more times before retiring due to everyone else losing interest

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm

DavidBlunkettsuppercut wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Just thought id do a little thread to see peoples views on potential hyped or overhyped fighters and how far you think they can do or what they can achieve. I have listed the main contenders below:

Kovalev
GGG
Ogogo
Saunders
Gavin
Brook

Like who?

None of Pavlik, Williams, Dzinziruk, Macklin, Murray, Barker or Chavez are trash. Of all current world champions I think he's defended against the best opposition, all ranked top ten when he faced them with the possible exception of Dzinziruk who was top ten at light middleweight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm

Kovalev should do well at LHW; see him defeating just about all-comers for quite a while if he performs like he did against Cleverly. Let's put him in with a slickster & see what happens.

Golovkin I rate very highly. I think he'll be the division's top dog for a fair number of years and should unify eventually without issue.

Ogogo will be Euro level tops. He just doesn't look good enough IMO.

Saunders I think has more to come. Certainly will win a bauble of sorts. Will he get to the very top? Not sure.

Gavin all depends on how he handles his social life. If he knuckles down, a world belt beckons. If not, as said above, he will be Kevin Mitchell Mk 2.

Brook. I have absolutely no time for him. I genuinely don't care. If his performances were as good as his hype, he'd have unified the division by now and retired Floyd. However, they're nowhere near. Will fail at World level.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:05 pm

GGG is not hype. Some of us can actually recognise talent before they get their signature win. Look at his amatuer and professional pedigree. Everything he has done points to having great talent.

Kovalev might be.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:
DavidBlunkettsuppercut wrote:

Kovalev
GGG
Ogogo
Saunders
Gavin
Brook

Like who?

None of Pavlik, Williams, Dzinziruk, Macklin, Murray, Barker or Chavez are trash. Of all current world champions I think he's defended against the best opposition, all ranked top ten when he faced them with the possible exception of Dzinziruk who was top ten at light middleweight.
Do you mean his recent opponents over the past 4 years? or the 40 odd opponents bar one pre 2008?

Last edited by DavidBlunkettsuppercut on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

double post
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

Gavin probably going nowhere.
Ogogo will get knocked out.
Saunders, even by franks standards going nowhere fast.
Ggg a martinez ko away from superstardom.
Kovelev, can beat the other contenders, gets a clinic if ward moves up.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:42 pm

Gavin probably going nowhere.
Ogogo will get knocked out.
Saunders, even by franks standards going nowhere fast.
Ggg a martinez ko away from superstardom.
Kovelev, can beat the other contenders, gets a clinic if ward moves up.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:55 pm

Before he won the middleweight title he had still faced Williams, Cintron, Bunema, Roman and Margarito, like all boxers with little amateur pedigree he started slowly but it's better to judge him on his championship fights.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:01 pm

Kovalev should be favourite over any of the slim pickings at LH, could potentially be beaten by one of the talented super middles.

GGG should reign at middleweight for a little while, although he may lose if he fights Martinez.

Saunders certainly looks like he's capable of Euro level, maybe more as he develops.

Ogogo doesn't look super convincing to me, seems like he's adapting to the pro ranks pretty well, and golden boy clearly see something in him, but I think he could be the one not to make it.

Gavin can succeed, but he needs to be given opponents he will get up for, otherwise he'll lose his edge and may never get it back.

Brook needs to roll on from his much improved second meeting with Jones. He can win a title, but he won't be conquering the division anytime soon. Will probably lose to Khan if they fight.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

sittingringside wrote:Kovalev should be favourite over any of the slim pickings at LH, could potentially be beaten by one of the talented super middles.

GGG should reign at middleweight for a little while, although he may lose if he fights Martinez.

Saunders certainly looks like he's capable of Euro level, maybe more as he develops.

Ogogo doesn't look super convincing to me, seems like he's adapting to the pro ranks pretty well, and golden boy clearly see something in him, but I think he could be the one not to make it.

Gavin can succeed, but he needs to be given opponents he will get up for, otherwise he'll lose his edge and may never get it back.

Brook needs to roll on from his much improved second meeting with Jones. He can win a title, but he won't be conquering the division anytime soon. Will probably lose to Khan if they fight.

At this point, GGG would flatten Martinez inside 8. I have zero doubt about that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm

Was thinking the same Sean ref GGG. The way Martinez was taken almost the distance by Barker and Macklin along with "winning" his Murray fight, i see GGG taking him out comfortably mid rounds.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Was thinking the same Sean ref GGG. The way Martinez was taken almost the distance by Barker and Macklin along with "winning" his Murray fight, i see GGG taking him out comfortably mid rounds.
Agreed.

Martinez of 3 years ago gives GGG a really tough fight, but he has declined a great deal in last 4 fights. It is very veryobvious. GGG would systematically beat him into submission. Wouldn't stand a chance now.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

As you know, I'm a huge Martinez advocate - my favorite boxer of the past 5 years. Thing is, Golovkin could beat him and beat him well, but lets not take away from Martinez, he clearly underestimated Murray and hasn't really needed to come out of 2nd gear in his last few fights. He handily beat Chavez and that wasn't even too difficult barring his blip in round 12. Just think he's hit complacency. Golovkin is a very good boxer though. Hasn't quite fought anyone as good as Martinez so it'll be a challenge for him when he does.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 20 Aug 2013, 5:13 pm

Adonis Stevenson is getting a lot of hype. I think he can be beaten but not by Ballbag.

Kovalev Vs Stevenson would be fireworks and would separate the wheat from the chaff.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 5:34 pm

I don't rate Stevenson either, Strongback. Landed his best Sunday punch against Dawson and fair play, it was an excellent shot and the guy is heavy-handed, but that aside I've been unimpressed whenever I've watched him and think he's there to be outboxed by any good technician who keeps a cool head. I wouldn't put it past Bellew to outbox him by any means, although I'm still a little undecided on that.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Aug 2013, 8:32 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Kovalev - long serving titlist, maybe a divisional kingpin for a little while.

Golovkin - Divisional kingpin, very possibly a pound for pounder as well.

Ogogo - A bit hard to tell so early in to his career, but I think he has a style well-suited to the professionals and I could see him snagging a title at some stage.

Saunders - Solid divisional gatekeeper, but may just fall short of a world title.

Gavin - Commonwealth / European level throughout his career, I fear.

Brook - A world titlist at some stage, but not an elite level fighter.

Difficult task, really, with a fair bit of guesswork. No doubt a shed load of people will be lining up to have a stop on about my comments regarding Golovkin, as usual.
Agree pretty much entirely, particularly on the GGG front, but from what I've seen of Ogogo (mainly amateur) I don't have as much faith. Doesn't look like he has any power to me, nor anything else spectacular to counter that.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:29 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
sittingringside wrote:Kovalev should be favourite over any of the slim pickings at LH, could potentially be beaten by one of the talented super middles.

At this point, GGG would flatten Martinez inside 8. I have zero doubt about that
Absolutely zero doubt?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm

I've hopped on both the GGG hype train and Kovalev hype train.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm

If Martinez can perform anywhere near his old self like he did against Chavez then he could cause Golovkin a whole host of problems, if he is finished then he could get dominated fairly easily. The real test for Golovkin will be how he performs if he moves up, it's ok for Ward and Froch to stick where they are because it's where the risky fights are. In moving up they would be taking on less able fighters and GGG is in the opposite situation.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:21 am

Its a shame about Martinez as it seems to be his knee that has pushed him down the slide. His style and movement is now gone which will make him easier to hit and he could take a serious pasting off GGG. Pre Chavez Jr, he would beat GGG on points imo. Now though he will get caught around 6-7 rounds and it will be a shame to see such a great fighter get took apart by an explosive guy in Golovkin.

I would prefer Martinez retires now as if he isnt 100% in the legs department then he shouldn't risk his health any further.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed 21 Aug 2013, 1:12 pm

Kovalev - Punches like a freight train. Will be avoided.

GGG - I believe the best prospect (of this bunch) for hitting the big time (parden the pun). Power in both hands and good technical ability.

Ogogo - I like what I've seen of him so far but still early days. Seems to have a bit more pop in his punches at pro.

Saunders - Five years since the Beijing Olympics. Needs to be a bit more than just a prospect. Exciting talent none the less.

Gavin - Back to his best against Vassell. Needs to keep the level of competition high which shouldn't be hard as the welterweight division is stacked with talent.

Brook - Looks good against average opponents.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down