The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books

+15
Biltong
Taylorman
PJHolybloke
manofgwent
emack2
jb1973
Thomond
mckay1402
Looseheaded
doctor_grey
HammerofThunor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
welshjohn369
offload
bedfordwelsh
19 posters

Go down

Books Empty Books

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 am

I have just started reading Bobby Windsors book the Iron Duke.

What a great read from a great player, having been brought up in the Gwent Valleys and also being old enough to remember him playing its great to hear some of the players he played with and against etc.

Its great to read some of the stuff that use to go on in those days (which I knew and witnessed) and how much times have changed.

The forward for the book is written by Fran Cotton and that alone left me to wonder, the freindship between these guys was forged in the coal face of the front row on a Lions tour. Do these friendships still get made on Lions tours these days?

Also what other books are out there worth a read.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Books Empty Re: Books

Post by offload Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 am

Bedford, I've read most British rugby biographies over the years - many favourites. Best for a while was Brian Moores "Beware of the Dog". Won an award last year I think.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

offload,

Cheers for that mate I have seen it on the shelf few times but not bought it, will have a scan for it after I have finished the Dukes book.

Jason Leonards was a fantastic read as he covered both amateur and professional era and the differences were there for all to see as how he had to change his lifestyle etc if he wanted to continue playing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:36 am

I recommend Sir Pinetree Meads autobiography if you have not read it.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

Some NZ rugby books worth a read:

Gladiator, the bio of Norm Hewitt by Michael Laws (good writer, lousy NZ politician) is a very good read - talks a lot about the move to professionalism, plus his recovery from alcoholism etc. And mercifully it finishes before he won NZ's version of Strictly Come Dancing Whistle

Anton Oliver's book (co-written by NZ poet Brian Turner, who was an NZ hockey rep, his brother Glenn was NZ cricket captain, and brother Greg played on the US PGA tour) is another good one. Even if I didn't get a mention among the list of high school class mates Wink

And Eric Rush has several books that are thoroughly entertaining, even though he's admitted to fibbing in places (Christian Cullen's nickname wasn't beer bottle* until Rush said so in print, anything about Glen Osborne, etc). The snippet about Caleb Ralph sending a young Dan Carter back to the team hotel so he could have a clear "run" at Zara Phillips is a goodun too (what is it about ZP and average centres Wink )

*Beer bottle - empty from the neck up Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 am

I have never read any of Eric Rush's books, I know his whanau very well. I have worked with his brother in the Whangaroa area and Huia his sister is a wonder to behold, she is so beautiful but has a temper like thunder having being brought up in a whanau full of brothers LOL

I have listened to many of Eric's yarns over the years. Good man, great 7's player if not the best the world has ever seen.

Last edited by welshjohn369 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!!)
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am

Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary by John Daniell.

Great insight into French club rugby and the career of a journeyman playing professional rugby. Not your usually 'top level' performer. Interesting bits about eye gouging, etc.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

Hammer,

Must be a French thing lol as some of the stuff in Windsors' book about the treatment dished out by the French in the 70s certainly make you wince.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 am

It's more a general discussion on it and how it's percieved in France. He even gives examples of when he's done it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 am

Hammer,
That was a terrific book. Things I hadn't really expected, and with good details. I would recommend it to any Rugby fan.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

The Hobbit. Read that. Now.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Read the Hobbit? The film is being made in NZ now Smile I'll wait lol
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 pm

welshjohn369 wrote:Read the Hobbit? The film is being made in NZ now Smile I'll wait lol

Oh I see. You're a film watcher and not a reader. I am deeply offended. :P

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Jiffy's book is interesting. It was written just after he left union and it gives some interesting insites into why he left. Also not a biog but Donald Mcraes book winter colours is brilliant
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Looseheaded wrote:The Hobbit. Read that. Now.

Is that Shane Williams' or Peter Stringer's biography?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
welshjohn369 wrote:Read the Hobbit? The film is being made in NZ now Smile I'll wait lol

Oh I see. You're a film watcher and not a reader. I am deeply offended. :P

I am an avid book reader but not fantasy....unless it includes nurses Smile
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:28 pm

seeing red alan carter book a good read for any welsh fans
martin johnson mark ring austin healy scott gibbs and willie john books are good, trevor brennan is excellent .

even tango man much maligned book is worth a look at

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am

If you can still get them any tour books by J,.B.G Thomas,A.C.Parker.Dennis LeLanne.Vivian Jenkins,Reg Sweet,any by Sir Terry McLean.
Biographies by HennieMuller,Bob Scott,George Nepia,Don Clarke,Colin Meads,Andy Haden,The Geriatrics[AB front row Andy Dalton].
Coaching manuals by Danie Craven,Fred Allen,i Izak Van Heerden,Bob Scot,Carwyn James,Ron Jarden.Celebration [a 100 years of All Black Rugby]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:21 am

I know that Michael Owen has a book coming out in September and also ken jones. Should be good reads.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 am

Bedford, the Viet Gwent were THE most unholy-trinity to ever grace a front row, Ponty was never a popular place for visitors, but in the 70's when The Duke was holding court the points deficit was the least of concerns.

I have to be honest in that I have a particular fondness for the amateur era and the characters it produced in the name of "corinthian" sport.

Bobby Windsor was, in my mind, by far and away the hardest man that ever played the game and to read about the personal problems he experienced and the way in which he laid them bare, strengthened my idea of what makes a real man.

Moore's "Beware of the Dog" had some similarities without the same "bite" but has enough parallels to suggest that hookers may have issues!

Gareth's was a cracker full of wit and tales of darring-do, and Geech's "Lion Man" was a particularly good read.

Catt's "Landing on my Feet" was an intersting study of a "foreign mercenary" playing for England and should receive particular praise for the title alone after Dawson nicked his preferred title of "Nine Lives"!

Will Greenwood's book is an excellent read, written with humour, honesty and a good sense of self-deprecation, and Jason Leonard's book is probably my favourite due to it's span of amateur-to-professional eras.

I was not particularly overwhelmed by Johnno's book, Healey's "Me And My Big Mouth" was as you would expect and Cockerill's "In Your Face" isn't worth borrowing from a library.

The only book I would love to read but haven't had the chance, is Neil Back's "Size Doesn't Matter", as a massive fan of his and a 7 myself (devastatingly average though) I feel I've missed out on that one, it's out of print and has been for some time, I'm not even sure it ever made paperback.

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 am

South Africa's....Wilbur Smiths Courtneys of Africa series:

- Burning Shore, Power of the sword, Rage, Golden Fox and A time to die are must reads for any rugby fan before you kark it!

Historical, action, adventure plus...as good as it gets.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 am

Yes, I am a huge fan of Wilbur Smith. He is actually Zimbabwean.

Francois Pienaar's book is also a good read.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 am

Is he? couldnt remember. His latet are a bit so so but those books in the 70s 80s.fantastic.
Must get pinaars. All good comments from what ive heard.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

Jason Robinson's book is a good read. Very honest. Talks about how he went of the rails during his league days, was virtually an alcoholic, had anger issues and was fighting, etc. Then Va'aiga Tuigamala, who used to pray before games in the changing room, introduced Robinson to Christinanity and that turned his life around. I'm not religious, but it is a good story about coming back from the brink and changing your life. Inspirational stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:05 am

PJ,

I agree on Leonards book I loved it, never really fancied reading Jonnos or Healeys but Moore and Greenwoods book have been mentioned before so will give them a look.

As for the Viet Gwent even as an Ebbw boy growing up through that period and having an Uncle who played against them for Ebbw and Abertillery I loved watching them play.

Hard is not the word. Wasn't it Pricey who played on with a broken jaw?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:39 pm

sean long the rl player book is the best (and funniest) I have ever read by any sportsman ever

the guy is bonkers!

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:56 pm

Long's book is a good read.

I liked Robinson's too. From what I remember Leonard's was good too.

The Welsh ones I've read have been generally a waste of time, as they tend to be released too early. From the older days, I liked Neil Jenkins' and Scott Gibbs'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Ive got quite a few of them.

Jason Leonards is a great read and very funny, probably the best I've read so far.

Ieuan evans was pretty disappointing to be honest, he talked a lot about the honor of captaining Wales, his injuries and the transition from Carmarthen cowboy to Wales captain, but the only person he really slags off is Paul Thorburn. Though he doesnt really say many nice things about the Barbarians club either. To be honest it just felt he went out of his way not to ruffle any feathers.

Martin Johnsons is a good read, especially the stuff about Wales.

Shane Williams was ok but he brought it out too soon, he dare not say anything bad about the current Wales set up so basically got up their arses a bit, it is also very short.

Gavin Hensons was pretty good and pretty honest I enjoyed it.

Gareth Thomas's is so, so funny, listening to the escapades him and Lee Davies got up to is brilliant. the best bit is they managed to convince the Cardiff coaches that tennis training is more physical that the Blues fitness training so they were allowed to skip it and do tennis instead. And the stories of them going on the razzle before training are great. The best bit is probably where Lee and Gareth got invited to a rugby league club to potentially sign for them, and were determined to behave themselves... well 6 cider and blacks later their barely able to stand up and meet the owners of the club with huge blackberry moustaches! they were told to píss off and come back when their serious, lol. - Great read.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Yeah Henson's was actually okay, just ill advised.

Those stories of Gareth Thomas were great. I'd forgotten about them.

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:43 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:PJ,

I agree on Leonards book I loved it, never really fancied reading Jonnos or Healeys but Moore and Greenwoods book have been mentioned before so will give them a look.

As for the Viet Gwent even as an Ebbw boy growing up through that period and having an Uncle who played against them for Ebbw and Abertillery I loved watching them play.

Hard is not the word. Wasn't it Pricey who played on with a broken jaw?

I think it was Price, but to be fair it could have been any of them - "we may go up, we may go down but we NEVER go backwards".

Wasn't Price about 112 years old when he made his Wales debut? I know they made about 20 appearances for Wales and a few (4 or 5) for the Lions, I don't think there was a front row to live with them then or a finer one since.

I don't think Price or Faulkener have published have they?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Richard Hill's biography was good. Mixed stories about his career with regular updates of his knee injury that ended his career.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 am

robbo277 wrote:Richard Hill's biography was good. Mixed stories about his career with regular updates of his knee injury that ended his career.

True Robbo, another book that spanned the amateur/professional eras, although Hill could be considered a professional amateur from the get-go. A great player and a member of the best back-row England have ever produced, the fact that he made the 2003 WC was a bit of a miracle of modern science; if he'd been playing even 10 years earlier he'd have never made it. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:22 am

No don't think either Price or Faulkner have done a book but I bet they would be great reads.

I think Price was young (ish) when capped it was Faulkner who was the oldest if I remember.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am

Jason Robinsons book is worth a read. O'Driscolls is pretty forgetable to be honest.

For sports autobiographies in general I'd say Lance Armstrong's 1st one is the best I've read and pretty inspiring.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:19 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:No don't think either Price or Faulkner have done a book but I bet they would be great reads.

I think Price was young (ish) when capped it was Faulkner who was the oldest if I remember.

Spot on Bedford, my mistake, there appears to be some confusion about Faulkners age when he was first capped, but early to mid-thirties seems to be the popular estimate.

He went on to win 19 caps - after he reached an age where most modern professionals are considering retirement.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Books Empty Rugby Books

Post by Meister Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:40 am

I was given Ronan O'Gara's autobiography as an end of school present (I am a teacher, so the thought was there). He seemed in awe of the great Humphries, naturally enough! Don't know who was the ghost, but he talked about the Ulster - Wasps game (42-37) away. It was the first game I took my girl to at the fortress that is Ravenhill, and she thought that Hump played like that every week! Just most weeks Very Happy

Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:47 am

[quote=]For sports autobiographies in general I'd say Lance Armstrong's 1st one is the best I've read and pretty inspiring.
[/quote]

Agree there. Absolutely inspirational.

For Union books I quite enjoyed Best Seat in the House by Miles Harrison, which was his account of the 97 Lions Tour. The Pride Restored one from the last tour was pretty decent too.

I've read a few Rugby League ones. Jamie Peacock's is ok and made me respect him as a player more. From football Robbie Fowler's was alright, bar the amount of times he felt he had to say he isn't a coke or smackhead. Giggs' was not bad and Carragher's isn't too bad either.

Keep meaning to pick up Seeing Red though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 am

Oh aye, Joe Calzaghe's is alright too, bar the little porky he tells about how he didn't see the point of fighting a washed up Roy Jones Jr. But the stories of how he struggled making weights, his hand injuries and his massive doubts before fighting Jeff Lacy are good reads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down