The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Golf Books

+2
drive4show
Doon the Water
6 posters

Go down

Old Golf Books Empty Old Golf Books

Post by Doon the Water Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:19 pm

I enjoy scrounging about for old golf books at charity shops, fetes, boot sales etc and I have found a few gems in my time.
The latest one I found is 'Golf for the Connoisseur by Michael Hobbs.
It is a collection of articles from 1850 to 1976.
Most are good and there are some great writers Longhurst, Patrick Campbell, Herbert Warren Wind, Pat Ward-Thomas, Hobbs and Peter Dobereiner.

It is interesting to 'place' the history of the stories.
One great article by Peter Thomson which gives you the secret to a golf swing golf and is the most obvious fault find you could think about by probably never do. The written description of Patrick Campbell's surprise victory against Billy O'Sullivan in the British is a real joy.

You can pick this book up for pennies on Amazon, it will not dissapoint you.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Old Golf Books Empty Re: Old Golf Books

Post by drive4show Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

I have a beautiful book called 'True Links' which gives a write up of every links course in the world. It includes a few around the world that I would not consider to be technically proper links courses but still a fabulous book. Also used to have a book called 'Classic links of GB&I' which I used to refer to as my bible. It was my quest to play every single one of them. Slowly working my way round them all Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:34 am

Try a book called Tales From Q School by John Feinstein, great read and a good insight into what goes on with guys trying to hit the big time enthralling read

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

Doon - I used to have a copy of Patrick Campbells - How to become a scratch golfer, which had the Billy O'Sullivan story in and a number of others, including quite a bit about Tony Jacklin in his pomp. One of the very few genuinely funny golf books. laughing
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:49 pm

Got a few Bernard Darwin books - really good reads.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

OS
The thing about the Patrick Campbell story is it shows the desperate thinking behind a top player. In those days [before TV] the crowds were huge.
Read some of the stories of big matches in the 1920's and it makes you wonder how they played at all.
Even in my time as a child golfer [1950's] it was not unusual for my Papa to play in front of over 1000 spectators in a County Cup Final or 500 to watch the village cup final.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

They did get very close as well, only leaving enough room for a club to be swung and there was very little if any margin for error.

I remember my father, at a Dai Rees and Harry Weetman demonstration game ( which I was lucky enough to play a few holes of, making 3 past Ryder Cup captains I have played with Shocked ), standing in the middle of the fairway at about 170 yards while they drove off over him. Apparently he wanted to watch the ball flight and couldn't be bothered to walk back to the tee - but really, he was just a bit of a show off, being one of the clubs low players. Everyone did clear him, although I seem to remember Dai Rees got a bit close.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:09 pm

Tell us more OS
How did you play with these guys, how old were you and how did you do.
Rees was top man for quite a few years.

My daughter played 5 holes with the then world No1 Ian Woosnam when she was 14. She did fairly well considering there was over 1000 spectators. One over par if I remember. He was great with her.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

Well - the Rees and Weetman match was at Radcliffe on Trent I was invited because I was the Junior Champion at the time (not much of an accolade, 'cos there was never more than about 8 juniors at the club and I was off 14 then I think), played just 2 holes with them then I was replaced with people that they could win a bit of money off! The third was the club pro at the time - Harold Roffe, you probably never came across him Doon, I think his nose bled if he went past Sheffield!

It took me all my time to lace my shoes, let alone think about hitting a ball and perish the thought of actually talking to them, so I do not remember actually hitting anything well, although they were nothing but supportive.

The 3rd past captain was Tony Jacklin, it could well have been in the same year, probably 1966. Tony was a friend of a +1 player at Seacroft, who's brother was a friend of my father and a friendly game was organised at Seacroft. I was officially my Dad's caddy, but when we were out in the wilds, he became my caddy for a few holes.

Tony was then the very sweetest and cleanest striker of the ball and I have never seen better.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

Can't say that I have played with many top players, a couple of Ryder Cuppers and a few Walker Cuppers and Scottish Champions but I seem to have played in the match behind quite a few names. Gary Player [ who waved us through], John Panton [when he was World Seniors Champion], Brian Barnes [who could not be @rsed to pick up his named long orange tees] Neil Coles who watched me eagle a hole and said 'well done son!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:00 pm

I was taught by Tony Grubb who played with Jacklin, Barnes and many others during the 1960s. He was still playing tourneys well into his 60s. Very good iron player back in the day apparently.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

He was a very good iron player and a nice guy. One of those players who you thought deserved better scores.
I think he made a couple of Ryder Cups.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm

Oh no he didn't...... quite a surprise there.
He did win the PGA championship though.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down