The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions

+6
Derbyblue
sodhat
TipToes88
Adam D
super_realist
Nay
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions - Page 2 Empty Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions

Post by Nay Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rangers have got their first signing of pre season in Juan Manual Ortiz for Almeria

Not seen him enough to be able to make any judgements yet, but sounds like a Spanish Steven Whittiker.

The other good news is Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions, with talks ongoing with Steven Davis.

What do you guys think of the new signing?

Nay

Back to top Go down

Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions

Post by super_realist Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm

monty junior wrote:Whats the point on constantly referring to league rankings. The fact is his team were relegated, he is then offered a chance to join a world renowned team who fill stadiums, play in the champions league and win trophies. Rangers have and always will be bigger than Almeria, this is a stepup, not in opposition terms but in expectations and psyche. Now he's trying to win things, living up to high expectations whilst im sure at Almeria those were relatively low.

Btw our league is 15th and was 7th only three years ago.
I think you've answered your own question haven't you?
Rangers are world renowned in the way that Dukla Prague or Eintracht Franfurt are, i.e based entirely on history rather than being a big team in modern terms. No one in Europe fears anyone from our country, fewer rate it and I very much doubt that many foreign fans under the age of thirty even know anything about Scottish teams.

I sincerely doubt Rangers will qualify for the proper stages of the CL, this year or at any point in the future given how far the league has fallen in the coefficients.

So if the league has fallen from 7th to 15th in three short years, it's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers Capture Ortiz while Mcgregor and Whittiker sign contract extensions

Post by Derbyblue Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:24 pm

super_realist wrote:It's a big step back because:

A) Although Rangers may be a better team than Almeria, the league is of a much poorer standard. He is after all moving from playing in La Liga to SPL, you don't think that's a step backward?

B) Although his chances of European success at Rangers are no worse than at Almeria (both are no hopers) he's challenging himself against far poorer teams.
In spain he had Real, Barcelona, Betis, Mallorca, Seville, Athletico, Villareal etc, in Scotland he'll haveCeltic, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline, add to that he's got to play them a cringeworthy four times.

C) He's entering a league which has diminishing chances of bringing in money through TV rights, and so the quality is unlikely to improve whereas Spanish Football is going from strength to strength.

D) He'll be playing in front of relatively big crowds at Ibrox, only once a fortnight, the rest of the time it will be infront of 6-10k on average.

E) He's entering a league where some of the fans of the top two teams are entrenched in a return to childish, immature behaviour which has brought shame to the country in the last couple of years.

Mind you , if the money's right, who cares about all that?
Rolling Eyes

I'll give him a year before he claims his wife can't settle in Glasgow.
A+B) But if he had stayed at Almeria he wouldn't have been in La Liga would he? So yes he may have played Barcelona in a cup tie at some point in the season but he wouldn't be challenging himself every week against tougher opposition. Also yes La Liga has some great teams but lets not pretend it's 20 great teams there are some poor teams in there who probably wouldn't be challenging for the SPL.

C) Why would he be bothered about the amount of money the league makes as a whole through television rights? There are plenty of Spanish teams in massive financial trouble.

D) The crowd at Ibrox is going to be bigger than any he could get in Liga Adelante, whilst I don't know the average attendance figures for Liga Adelante I would expect it to not be that much higher than the SPL.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:28 pm

User Name wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
Nay Bother wrote:by your logic and using the same rankings you use to get Scotland is the 16th ranked league in Europe,

Rangers are the 33 best ranked team in Europe as at the end of last season so to call them average is somewhat of a push.
And where were Almeria ranked? I assumed they weren't above 33?

They not even top 100.

Good point, this is looking at the team now and not the league, and shows a massive step up.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 08 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

super_realist wrote:
monty junior wrote:Whats the point on constantly referring to league rankings. The fact is his team were relegated, he is then offered a chance to join a world renowned team who fill stadiums, play in the champions league and win trophies. Rangers have and always will be bigger than Almeria, this is a stepup, not in opposition terms but in expectations and psyche. Now he's trying to win things, living up to high expectations whilst im sure at Almeria those were relatively low.

Btw our league is 15th and was 7th only three years ago.
I think you've answered your own question haven't you?
Rangers are world renowned in the way that Dukla Prague or Eintracht Franfurt are, i.e based entirely on history rather than being a big team in modern terms. No one in Europe fears anyone from our country, fewer rate it and I very much doubt that many foreign fans under the age of thirty even know anything about Scottish teams.

I sincerely doubt Rangers will qualify for the proper stages of the CL, this year or at any point in the future given how far the league has fallen in the coefficients.

So if the league has fallen from 7th to 15th in three short years, it's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

It shows that there isn't much of a gap between the top 8 to 15 leagues, can you honestly say that the SPL was considerably better 3 or 4 years ago? when it was 7th.

I don't really understand your view on Rangers not qualifying for the champions league, they will be drawn in the champions section therefore will probably face the likes of the Macedonian or Hungarian champions to qualify? hardly impossible is it?

By the way next year we will have two champions league places again, please calm with your prejudices, i know Scots are usually negative but this is embarrassing.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:21 am

Of course it was better 4 years ago, for a start teams were getting to the last 16, now they are failing to qualify for thecompetition at all.

There's being negative, and there's being realistic. The SPL simply supply "also-rans" for such competitions who now have no hope of progression.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2