The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British hatred of their own fighters.

+21
Young_Towzer
Steffan
lightsout
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
huw
Small Time
Michaels, Sean
Seanusarrilius
BALTIMORA
Fists of Fury
HumanWindmill
fearlessBamber
coxy0001
Sugar Boy Sweetie
J.Benson II
The Galveston Giant
Mind the windows Tino.
bhb001
Rowley
AdZacO
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

British hatred of their own fighters. Empty British hatred of their own fighters.

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 am

In Britain, the public like to build people up and then watch them fall. But with boxers sometimes they don't even want to build them up. The way that DeGale and Khan are seen by a large part of the boxing public is awful. Now I personally wanted to see DeGale lose to Groves, but nt cause i hate him, but because i think it will be good for his career. When people say why they dislike those two in particular they tend to go towards they arrogance. This I don't think is they only reason.

Calzaghe was a brillant talent, and seemed like an alright chap, but he didn't fight the best out there, but to be honest not many fighters at his division did either.

Think back to Hatton. The most loved British fighter in recent memory. He certainly had bits of arrogance, especially saying how he was going to beat Flyod and Pacman, and take it rightful thrown as p4p no 1. Is it that he had an abundance of charisma to go allow with his arrogance, or was he confident, as he had already proven himself? He did try to big himself up early on in his career.

With Khan I personally feel every one got miffed, as early in his career he was PPV sometimes headline act, when he had no right to be. That got on peoples nerves, and his arrogance while paying to watch him beat journeymen that any young prospect would fight pushed them over the edge. As now he does seem intent on fighting the best out there, which is the main reason that Froch is probably now Britains most loved fighter.

As for DeGale, I think it is just that he is an idiot, with no charm. So is it that along with arrogance, we need some wit, charm and charisma, along with fighting the nest out there to be liked?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

British hatred of their own fighters. Empty Re: British hatred of their own fighters.

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 am

With all due respect think it is a lazy stereotype to say Brit's hate our own because there are simply too many examples of guys who disprove the theory. Hatton took 30,000+ to Vegas and then sold 50,000+ tickets for a warm up when he returned, am sure that is the kind of hatred most fighters can only dream of.

I am frequently critical of British boxers but for me that is simply because as a fan of the sport I think it is beyond ridiculous to turn a blind eye to things you find objectionable or things you would criticise other fighters for just because they were born on the same lump of soil as you, that isn't supporting your own it is jingoistic inconsistent nonsense.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

British hatred of their own fighters. Empty Re: British hatred of their own fighters.

Post by bhb001 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

I tend to agree with Rowley. Just because you are British, this isn't a passport for everyone in the UK to adore you. We tend to be critical, but when we take on board heroes ala Bruno, then it can seem to grow out of all proportions.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

I have a horrible feeling that this thread will go the same way as others along similar lines but anyway.....

For me, I don't actually "hate" any fighters but if I am critical of a fighter, their nationality doesn't even come into it, same goes for if I am positive about them. On a personal level, and this is probably very boring, I judge fighters on their skills and achievements, I genuinely have little to no interest in their arrogance or watching them metaphorically fall from some imaginary pedestal.

All fighters say some pretty stupid things from time to time, but so do footballers, rugby players, golfers et etc. Hell, even I say some silly things from time to time!

There are just too many examples of fantastically popular sportspeople in this country to say the British public like to see their stars fall.

To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington: "just because I am born in a stable, doesn't make me a horse".

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

I don't like Khan or Degale, or Kevin Mitchell and Tony Bellew. It's nothing personal. Doesn't mean i don't give them respect as fighters.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 am

rowley wrote:With all due respect think it is a lazy stereotype to say Brit's hate our own because there are simply too many examples of guys who disprove the theory. Hatton took 30,000+ to Vegas and then sold 50,000+ tickets for a warm up when he returned, am sure that is the kind of hatred most fighters can only dream of.

I am frequently critical of British boxers but for me that is simply because as a fan of the sport I think it is beyond ridiculous to turn a blind eye to things you find objectionable or things you would criticise other fighters for just because they were born on the same lump of soil as you, that isn't supporting your own it is jingoistic inconsistent nonsense.

Well I think it a pretty lazy arguement to use Hatton as proof that as a hole we don't hate, which is maybe too strong a word, our fighters.

As for not supporting national athletes, well i tend to in most most sports. Maybe thats odd. But then it tends to lead to more talent coming through, and therefore more talent televised.

Sure you should critize them, but I don't see how that should see you wanting them to lose, if they are talented and fun to watch.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

I wouldnt say I hate any British boxers as "hate" is a strong word.

However, I don't understand why I should support a boxer simply because they happen to hold the same passport as I do.

If anything, one could agrue that its foolish to blindly support an individual simply because he/she lives within the same imaginary geo-political boundary as you do.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 am

Can only speak for myself but can't honestly remember the last time I actively wanted a Brit to lose a fight there have been occasions I have felt a loss would be the best thing for them, the one that leaps to mind is Degale to knock some humility into him, although it does appear that hasn't happened.

To be honest I am not sure we are any more or less critical of our own than any other country or any time in the past the only thing that has changed is we now live in a mass media age. In the past to get more than a few mates to listen to your opinion you had to either become a journalist in your field or get a letter published in the press both of which contain some sort of filter process and would require in theory some level of expertise or insight. With the internet and forums such as this anyone can log on within minutes, write whatever they want no matter how idiotic, biased or myopic and it is potentially available for a good portion of the world to read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:39 am

I take as I find. If someone strikes me as an a***hole I won't back them, regardless of their nationality. I've been critical of khan in the past, but it has nothing to do with his nationality. I'm the same as him in the sense that we were both born here but our parents are immigrants, so I have no beef over his nationality, just didn't like the way he was so protected yet commanded ppv. Even now he acts and talks like he's a p4p star when in reality he does modest numbers in the uk, zero ppv in the US and has an average cv. Hus people are an embarrassment.

To be honest I don't think it's a case of Brits not backing their own, as there are countless examples to the contrary, I just think sone guys strike a chord with the public such as Bruno or Hatton, and some guys irritate people such as Khan or DeGale. Style may play a part too. AK and JDG are both fairly conservative fighters, whereas say David Haye - who is arrogant and unsavoury - has an explosive style and so gets the backing of the casual fan.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am

We're not American, we don't simply brown poke our own just because they're of the same nationality.

For instance you mention JC, for me he was brash and failed to back his words up by pulling out of umpteen fights and costing me a fair few pennies in doing so... for what i thought were bull**** reasons.

On the other hand you had Clinton Woods, who although less successful and less gobby was prepared to face anyone.

The latter gets my respect and admiration, the former doesn't.

Some loved Naz, i wanted MAB to bury his head into row 5.

Most hated Eubank, he quickly became my first real "idol" after despising him at first (i was only young though).

Some hate Haye, i admire the drive he has to do things his way and arguably a much harder way than if he was with a big promotional outfit.

Etc etc

Point is we're not thick and we'll pick and choose our favourites based on what we actually think of them rather than "yee-haaaaw USA! USA!"

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 am

I support England / Britain (where applicable) in team sports, but for individual sports country of origin is irrelevant.

However, I've ended up supporting / rooting against British boxers (rather than being neutral) as I've had more exposure to them.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 am

J.Benson II wrote:I wouldnt say I hate any British boxers as "hate" is a strong word.

However, I don't understand why I should support a boxer simply because they happen to hold the same passport as I do.

If anything, one could agrue that its foolish to blindly support an individual simply because he/she lives within the same imaginary geo-political boundary as you do.

This is what i don't get. Really? You think any one in Canada want Bute, who only lives there, or Pascal to lose? Even given the record that was beoken in his loss, and moving a great up a fews spots in the ATG list? You think anyone in Germany or Ukraine hope Kilt loses to Haye?

You don't buy it will bring more talent in the country and therefore more talent to your screen? Of course you can support fighters if they are good to watch, so did you support Manny over Hatton? Would you support one boxer over the other because you think they are a nicer person?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 am

AdZacO wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:I wouldnt say I hate any British boxers as "hate" is a strong word.

This is what i don't get. Really? You think any one in Canada want Bute, who only lives there, or Pascal to lose? Even given the record that was beoken in his loss, and moving a great up a fews spots in the ATG list? You think anyone in Germany or Ukraine hope Kilt loses to Haye?

You don't buy it will bring more talent in the country and therefore more talent to your screen? Of course you can support fighters if they are good to watch, so did you support Manny over Hatton? Would you support one boxer over the other because you think they are a nicer person?

Yes, there probably are. I am absolutely positive that there are many opened minded peeople in Canada, Ukraine or Germany that judge fighters on their skill and style rather than the lump of earth they happen, whithout any choice of their own, to be born on.

I am not sure I fully understand your second paragraph, but I don't think any young boxer, starting out on their career thinks about whether they will be popular as a professional? I am not sure what you are getting at here? Surely TV executives and promoters want some "unpopular" fighters as well as "nice" ones as it is an easy sell for TV.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 am

In my opinion it is the very concept of patriotism which leads some to ' hate ' British fighters.

It runs something like this :

Britain has been too long in the shadow of the US or Central America with regard to boxing and, for those to whom patriotism is important, the emergence of, let's say, Frank Bruno, immediately fuels the imagination that here is a Brit who can take on the Yanks. Early successes nurture that belief ( among those who are desperate for British success, ) but when Bruno eventually bumps into a genuinely world class fighter such as Witherspoon and comes unstuck, those who invested so much hope in him feel ' let down ' and, perhaps subconciously, feel he is not worthy of the flag.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't give a hoot if a fighter is British or not. My interest extends only to what he does in the ring.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
AdZacO wrote:

Yes, there probably are. I am absolutely positive that there are many opened minded peeople in Canada, Ukraine or Germany that judge fighters on their skill and style rather than the lump of earth they happen, whithout any choice of their own, to be born on.

I am not sure I fully understand your second paragraph, but I don't think any young boxer, starting out on their career thinks about whether they will be popular as a professional? I am not sure what you are getting at here? Surely TV executives and promoters want some "unpopular" fighters as well as "nice" ones as it is an easy sell for TV.

Sorry the last paragraph should of been two really. First part is about, if there is a special talent from a country that does well, it makes younger people get into the sport, thus meaning more in the talent pool.

The second part was trying to get Benson to define what categories he looks for in a boxer to support.

Most countries are far more patriotic in their boxers than Britain are. You look at other sports. Wimbledon is going on at the moment and most Brits, who actually care, will want Murray to win who watch as they were born on the same lump of land.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

It's something called national pride though...and despite us having our favourite, regardless of nationality, there is something deep within us all that loves seeing our own succeed at world level, regardless of the sport it is in.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

I hate Anthony Small. Others I merely dislike. There are, as rowley pointed out, far too many examples which prove the OP wrong. Cooper, Benn, Hatton, Froch, Haye, Woodhall...even supposedly despicable or dislikeable figures such as Naz and Eubank have their share of fans. Whether that's in appreciation of their skills or of what they brought to the sport in terms of dramatic spectacle varies from one person to the next, but they DO have their fans.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am

Think we can all agree that Small is about as popular as something one is likely to tread in during a walk through long grass.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 am

i think as Brits we like the villain dont we, we like to boo and create the pantomime but rarely is it serious. People booed Eubank but i dont think many that did that hated him and once he started losing we embraced him for his courage. We call it how we see it. Only in a few cases like with Degale do people start genuinley start to dislike a fighter and that's his fault for acting like a complete idiot in denial.

I think most have warmed to Khan, he too said some idiotic things when he came out but recently i think he has won some fans over and seems like a good lad, more so his handlers i dislike.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:53 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I hate Anthony Small. Others I merely dislike. There are, as rowley pointed out, far too many examples which prove the OP wrong. Cooper, Benn, Hatton, Froch, Haye, Woodhall...even supposedly despicable or dislikeable figures such as Naz and Eubank have their share of fans. Whether that's in appreciation of their skills or of what they brought to the sport in terms of dramatic spectacle varies from one person to the next, but they DO have their fans.

A good list, however the amount of people wanting Haye to win is not that large. Also if you look in my first paragraph i say sometimes, which is an undertstatement. But perhaps i should of used the word "hate", went for hyperbole for the title, and kind of hit myself in the face like Fury.

Froch has fans now in the boxing world, but hasnt been widely seen, and only really acquired them after his run of performances, which is pretty late in his career.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

AdZacO -

I tend to see myself as a fan of the sport and one who isnt swayed or influenced by public opinion or patriotism.

I would usually support or admire a boxer based on factors such as: ability, skill, style, work ethic, personality and attitude.

Nationality doesnt really come in to it.

For example, my favourite boxer during my lifetime is probably Roy Jones Jr. The fact he's American, and not British, doesnt bother me in the slightest.

And yes, I supported Manny over Hatton, although that was mainly because I predicted him to win and just the satisfaction of being proven correct.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Why, as individuals, should we support individuals? Are they fighting for England? No, they're not.

And you can't compare Murray to any fighter, mainly because how many Brits do we have at or nearing world class level in regards to tennis as opposed to boxing? Which renders that point null and absolutely void.

I'll support who ever i want to support, we're not sheep - we're proper fans of the sport. Armchair fans, as you appear to be, will tune in and support "whoever the Brit guy is".

Sadly hardcore fans will have favourites and many of those favourites will be of mixed nationality.

I think therein lies your answer. Hardcore vs softcore!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

Prefer hardcore, myself.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Think we can all agree that Small is about as popular as something one is likely to tread in during a walk through long grass.

An Adder?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:11 am

Favourite cricketers
1. Glen McGrath
2. Shane Warne
3. Michael Vaughan
4. Matthew Hoggard
5. Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Always supported England though.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Think we can all agree that Small is about as popular as something one is likely to tread in during a walk through long grass.

An Adder?

A female rabbits exposed babymaker just as she's about to have it off with a male rabbit? Never knew they were like wizards sleeve and you could get your whole foot in!

My my, we learn something new every day!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 am

coxy0001 wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:

An Adder?

A female rabbits exposed babymaker just as she's about to have it off with a male rabbit? Never knew they were like wizards sleeve and you could get your whole foot in!

I'd imagine it would be like slipping into the mole skin slippers the missus bought me for Christmas
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 am

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:33 am

coxy0001 wrote:Why, as individuals, should we support individuals? Are they fighting for England? No, they're not.

And you can't compare Murray to any fighter, mainly because how many Brits do we have at or nearing world class level in regards to tennis as opposed to boxing? Which renders that point null and absolutely void.

I'll support who ever i want to support, we're not sheep - we're proper fans of the sport. Armchair fans, as you appear to be, will tune in and support "whoever the Brit guy is".

Sadly hardcore fans will have favourites and many of those favourites will be of mixed nationality.

Firstly there are not alot of British world class british fighters at the top of the tree. Also with your answer you accept that people do support Murray for being British but only because there isnt much talent. So you accept sports fans do follow sportsmen in an individual event for their mutual nationality. Which is weird as if a fighter is not representing Britain, then neither is Murray, so actually accpeted my point then said it was null and void.

I am by no means saying that people won't have favourite fighters who arent British, and that your favourite must be British, I just don't understand why people don't have patriotism in boxing.

My favourite fighter of recent times is probable Cotto. Loved his agreesive style, and wars he would get into. However if Hatton had fought him when they were both at LWW I think i would of supported Hatton as he is British.

Also being patriotic in individual sports does not make you an arm chair fan. But nice cheap shot.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

What, shagging rabbits??

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:Favourite cricketers
1. Glen McGrath
2. Shane Warne
3. Michael Vaughan
4. Matthew Hoggard
5. Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Always supported England though.

That is a team sport and therefore totally different.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 am

For me my basis for supporting a fighter is based on a few things, are they good to watch, can they open their mouths without making me want to pull my ears off, do they try thier best to fight the best and are they willing to travel to acheive this. These criteria come above all others with deciding if I will like a fighter. At the minute Froch fits this bill perfectly and so gets my full support, the fact that he is British is a bonus rather than a deciding factor.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 am

rowley wrote:For me my basis for supporting a fighter is based on a few things, are they good to watch, can they open their mouths without making me want to pull my ears off, do they try thier best to fight the best and are they willing to travel to acheive this. These criteria come above all others with deciding if I will like a fighter. At the minute Froch fits this bill perfectly and so gets my full support, the fact that he is British is a bonus rather than a deciding factor.

Similar basis to how I pick my favourite fighter, but does not mean I won't support a fighter for being British when they fight. Obviously I'm in the minority here though.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

I.m a fan of the sport/art of boxing and couldn't careless where a boxer comes from. If I like a boxers style I'll watch and cheer him on, if I don't like his boxing style I won't cheer him on.....what could be simpler?

Out of interest I wonder how many Americans support Mayweather/Ortiz (after the calls of him being a quitter)?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

The main factor in whether or not I'll support a guy is whether or not I like the guy. By this I mean do I, from the information I have processed, think that the guy is someone I agree with on a semi-personal level. Froch is a good example of this. He comes across as someone who's no-nonsense, quite a realist, and not without a dry wit.

Khan by contrast, while not giving me any real reason to dislike him doesn't offer me much to warm to either. He seems to want to do well, and to do the right things both in and out of the ring, but he seems to lack a certain awareness. He seems detached from reality to a certain extent, so while I'll support him as a Brit, if he's fighting someone I like more, I'd support that opponent.

Calzaghe was someone I never warmed to, and so ended up supporting him by default, because I found a lot of other people wanted to see him lose. I think I just like to see guys prove their naysayers wrong.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:53 am

[quote]
Firstly there are not alot of British world class british fighters at the top of the tree. Also with your answer you accept that people do support Murray for being British but only because there isnt much talent. So you accept sports fans do follow sportsmen in an individual event for their mutual nationality. Which is weird as if a fighter is not representing Britain, then neither is Murray, so actually accpeted my point then said it was null and void.

I did mention "near to" i.e. on the verge. Please re-read

Haye
Froch
Haye
Burns
Munroe
Brook
Rhodes
Macklin
Murray
Mitchell

etc etc etc

I am by no means saying that people won't have favourite fighters who arent British, and that your favourite must be British, I just don't understand why people don't have patriotism in boxing.

Because most people don't recognise a fighter as being "x" - they view a fighter as being just that - a fighter. This isn't la-de-chuffing-da tennis, this is a sport of warriors and personalities - someone being a muppet doesn't mean he'll have every single one of his countrymen supporting him

My favourite fighter of recent times is probable Cotto. Loved his agreesive style, and wars he would get into. However if Hatton had fought him when they were both at LWW I think i would of supported Hatton as he is British.

And i would've wanted MAB to cave in Naz's head and would've been unable to watch if he'd fought Hatton as i held them both in high regards.

Also being patriotic in individual sports does not make you an arm chair fan. But nice cheap shot.

No worries!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 am

I would say for myself at least that I take people as I find them.

If I like them then I'll support them.

If there is a situation where a Brit I don't like if fighting another nationality for example that I know nothing about until before the fight. The other guy them starts slating the Brit's in the build up I may back the Brit for the one fight, more because the other guy is even less likable.

In general though I would back the person I like more regardless of where they are from, it is part of being a free thinker.

There are a hell of a lot of sheep in this country however that will believe everything they are told to do by newspapers.

We are lucky in this country though, in other places you are not allowed freedom of choice, even in the big old US of A people have to swear allegiance to the flag - to a flag! We should be thankful that we are in more of a land of the free.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:57 am

Like you say about MAB and Hatton, coxy; the JMM-Katsidis fight was a tough one to watch in the sense that one of them had to lose (yes, yes, unless they drew), and I really didn't want either guy to lose. Likewise with Froch-Kessler; I was pleased for Kessler, but more gutted for Froch, but even MORE gutted because that smug tawt Calzaghe was given a little reason to gloat. God knows though, he needs it after seeing his ex-Mrs.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote=coxy0001]Because most people don't recognise a fighter as being "x" - they view a fighter as being just that - a fighter. This isn't la-de-chuffing-da tennis, this is a sport of warriors and personalities - someone being a muppet doesn't mean he'll have every single one of his countrymen supporting him[/quote]

Look at any of Truss Lewis articles, and responces to prove thats nosense. Or the articles on how because there isnt an american heavyweight world champ their interest has declines.

Also you mentioned nearing, not near to, so alot of your list has to go.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 pm

If our enjoyment of pro boxing had depended on British success down through the decades we'd either be a very unhappy lot or there would be precious little interest in boxing on these islands.

Fight fans should be no more obligated to support fellow nationals than an Irishman should be required to prefer Guinness to John Smith's.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Have always backed any british fighter and would under no circumstances favour a foreign fighter to beat a british one

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm

AdZacO wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Why, as individuals, should we support individuals? Are they fighting for England? No, they're not.

Don't you see how ludicrous this notion is?

What if Miguel Cotto had immigrated to Britain, claimed British citizenship and than got hold of a British passport? He would technically be just as British as Hatton.

I understand that many casual fans will tend to support the athlete they can relate to culturally/racially/nationally etc.
For example, most of Hatton's support came from white, working class Northerners. Khan is strongly favoured amoung the British Pakistani community. The Klitschko's are huge in Eastern Europe, similar with Paquaio within East Asia. This kind of cultural demographic support is expected, but most of these supporters are fans of the individual rather than fans of the actual sport.

However, most of the posters on this board, consider ourselves to be fans of the noble art and above petty devotion based on nationality.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Cotto would not be as british as Hatton in the slightest, he would still be Puerto Rican and so what if I or anybody else supports a fighter because of his nationality, who are you to dictate that we can't?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:47 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
AdZacO wrote:

Don't you see how ludicrous this notion is?

What if Miguel Cotto had immigrated to Britain, claimed British citizenship and than got hold of a British passport? He would technically be just as British as Hatton.

I understand that many casual fans will tend to support the athlete they can relate to culturally/racially/nationally etc.
For example, most of Hatton's support came from white, working class Northerners. Khan is strongly favoured amoung the British Pakistani community. The Klitschko's are huge in Eastern Europe, similar with Paquaio within East Asia. This kind of cultural demographic support is expected, but most of these supporters are fans of the individual rather than fans of the actual sport.

However, most of the posters on this board, consider ourselves to be fans of the noble art and above petty devotion based on nationality.

First would not make him as British as Hatton, but would make him more British.

Also if you consider that "ludicrous", then supporting a fighter as they are a decent person must also be, but many of the posters have mentioned that as one of many of factors they consider.

Also; on Martinez v Barker

I'm happy for Barker but lets be honest. The only reason why this fight has some appeal for us is because Barker is British and fairly well liked on the domestic/Euro scene.

So you are happy he got the fight, but not for "noble art", but part of the reason you are happy is he is British. And after such an arrogant and hypocrtical last paragraph.

Last edited by AdZacO on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers)

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Because Brits hate seeing other Brits succeed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Henry Cooper, dirty fighter... used to regulaly hit on the break and hit after an opponent was down......sorry I've watched the fights and that's that.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

you'd have loved Bruno then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Let me tell you something when a British sportsman does some thing special it puts the spotlight on your Country. It makes people admire the individual and brings recognition to the fact he's BRITISH...

Take pride and pleasure in your fellow Countrymens achievements....

After all three things are self evident........

1. You are going to live.
2. You are going to die.
3. You are going to do both being British..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Cotto would not be as british as Hatton in the slightest, he would still be Puerto Rican and so what if I or anybody else supports a fighter because of his nationality, who are you to dictate that we can't?

It depends on how one defines the term "British". Technically, someone who's British is someone who holds British citizenship. However, others would only consider someone born in Britain as being British (ruling out someone like Dereck Chisora). Others go further still and consider being British as having generations of British heritage (ruling out the likes of Khan and Calzaghe).

Anyway, I'm not dictating who someone can or can't support. Its a free country.
Its just that personally, I consider blindly supporting an individual based purely on their nationality just as ridiculous as supporting them based on their colour or creed.
Its childish in my opinion.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 pm

It is also childish to dictate any opinion on why someone should like a boxer and if I choose to support Khan, Froch, Burns or Haye based purely on their nationality I will do so without having people like you saying I am childish for doing so.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next