The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST

3 posters

Go down

TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST  Empty TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 28 May 2011, 2:29 pm

I have put together a list of my personal view on our best fighters. I know stuff like this has been done before but was interested to know other people's opinions on our best ever fighters, as i've been watching a lot of past Brits lately.

1. Lennox Lewis

2. Joe Calzaghe

3. Ricky Hatton

4. John Conteh

5. Ken Buchanan

6. Lloyd Honeyghan

7. Chris Eubank

8. Nigel Benn

9. Barry McGuigan

10. Naz

Sorry if i didn't put in personal favourites, feel free to put up your own

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST  Empty Re: TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 28 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Steven mate no Benny Lynch or Ken Buchanan we are not on god terms anymore mate. mad
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST  Empty Re: TOP 10 P4P BEST BRITISH FIGHTERS OF THE PAST

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 28 May 2011, 2:35 pm

Steven mate no Benny Lynch or Ken Buchanan we are not on god terms anymore mate. mad
I've put Ken in at number 5 kev get your eyes tested haha, i love Ken he was quality, i'm sorry don't mean to be ignorant didn't see Benny fight, i should of put (who i've seen) i've heard he was great however

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 28 May 2011, 2:39 pm

Interesting list, Steven. Is this purely based on the last forty years only? If so, then most of the right names are there (I disagree with the order some of them are in, but we'll get to that later) but if not, then the exclusions of Ted 'Kid' Lewis, Jimmy Wilde, Jack 'Kid' Berg and Freddie Welsh (Owen Moran and Benny Lynch, too) are notable. Any Brit all-time list has to have at least four of those six, surely.

As for the fighters you've named, well I simply can't see how McGuigan can be above Hamed. It's easy to be seduced by McGuigan's win over Pedroza but in terms of depth and longevity, Hamed leaves him eating dust.

Hatton as high as three? As much as I love Ricky, he simply doesn't belong in front of Buchanan, and I'd probably edge Honeyghan and Conteh ahead of him, too. The latter two were certainly much more rounded fighters than Hatton, and Tszyu aside there isn't a great deal of quality on Hatton's CV.

I'd have a top ten as follows, personally.

1) Ted 'Kid' Lewis 2) Jimmy Wilde 3) Lennox Lewis 4) Ken Buchanan 5) Freddie Welsh 6) Jack 'Kid' Berg 7) Joe Calzaghe 8.) Jim Driscoll 9) Owen Moran 10) Benny Lynch.

Honeyghan and Conteh probably the next two names to be honest, Hatton around the fifteen or sixteen mark. Interesting list though, as I said.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 28 May 2011, 2:48 pm

As for the fighters you've named, well I simply can't see how McGuigan can be above Hamed. It's easy to be seduced by McGuigan's win over Pedroza but in terms of depth and longevity, Hamed leaves him eating dust.

Hatton as high as three? As much as I love Ricky, he simply doesn't belong in front of Buchanan, and I'd probably edge Honeyghan and Conteh ahead of him, too. The latter two were certainly much more rounded fighters than Hatton, and Tszyu aside there isn't a great deal of quality on Hatton's CV.
Hatton lost 2 the two of the best fighters i've seen in the past 15-20 years, he was unbeatable at the weight til he fought Pacquiao, beat good fighters in style in Tszyu, Urango, Castillo, etc, i have McGuigan above Naz because he beat a great, Naz didn't beat many good imo, and i think Barry would of beaten him, outworked him. I appreciate your list two, its all opinions

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 28 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Steven_89 wrote:Steven mate no Benny Lynch or Ken Buchanan we are not on god terms anymore mate. mad
I've put Ken in at number 5 kev get your eyes tested haha, i love Ken he was quality, i'm sorry don't mean to be ignorant didn't see Benny fight, i should of put (who i've seen) i've heard he was great however

Sorry thought you had left out Ken. I know where you're coming from with the old fighters though it is much easier to form an opinion on a fighter when you can watch them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 28 May 2011, 3:43 pm

1 Jimmy Wilde
2 Ted Lewis
3 Lennox Lewis
4 Benny Lynch
5 Ken Buchanan
6 Freddie Welsh
7 Jack Berg
8 Jim Driscoll
9 Owen Moran
10 Joe Calzaghe
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down