The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cm punk update

+30
Scorch The Dragon
BlueDragon1205
Ent
liverbnz
Sara
Jammy31
Brady12
Facey_James
Bonesaw's ready
crippledtart
pauline1981
ADMIN
Crimey
Bull
Fernando
Dexter Morgan
TheKop
UpsideDownFace
talkingpoint
more_awesome_than_a_ri
AberdeenSteve
Dave.
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Kay Fabe
Francis
Mr H
boomdangle
hodge
User Name
JamesLincs
34 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

cm punk update  - Page 2 Empty cm punk update

Post by JamesLincs Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 am

First topic message reminder :

punk confirms it then, he leaves the night of mitb. no wwe for a while for me then

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

cm punk update  - Page 2 Empty Re: cm punk update

Post by pauline1981 Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

we find out soon

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm

because of the very different situation i think its far too early to speculate

its gunna be something special though i think. i think when he returns itll be my biggest mark out moment since the attitude era

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I can't see the Raw MITB winner cashing in so soon, only because I now see Christian finally pinning Orton in Chicago but to only lose again when Smackdown's MITB winner cashes in the same night.

Punk won't win the title, and he'll leave after MITB after once again being buried.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:09 pm

oooooh do remember punk mentions winning money in the bank, i think at both cp and on raw the following night! perhaps hinting that the mitb winner will cash in that night or the following raw?

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 pm

It is worth clarifying that Punk's deal does not actually expire on the 17th of July! They're playing into the fact that some fans know about the contract talks, but the date WWE is using for the storyline is kayfabe.

As much as I love watching him, I want the company to stick to its word and take him off TV after the PPV to sell the fact that his contract really is up in the storyline. If Punk wrestles at Summerslam, WWE has screwed up this angle.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Facey_James Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:17 pm

I predict punk will beat cena down for 20 minutes, followed by 5 moves of doom after a miraculous recovery, and the kids in the crowd will cheer. Punk will leave. Nice and predictable, just how wwe like it.

Cena will squash Punk. Cena squashes everyone.

Facey_James

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm

If he does leave in July even though his contract isn't up until November, will there be some kind of no compete clause? I can't imagine he'll be able to work for another wrestling promotion in that 4 months so he must be stepping away from wrestling entirely for a while? Unless of course he does win the title and gets on the mic and says 'Chicago, ive done the honest thing and signed a new contract so you won't be getting rid of me just yet'. I think the place would erupt.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 pm

well if his contract is up in november maybe they giving him between july and the end of the year to rest and return at the rumble?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm

He has to agree a new contract first nando. Hopefully 4 or 5 months out will do Punk good and allow him to reflect on his position in the company with a clear head from the outside without being stuck on the road in the WWE bubble.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:23 pm

i doubt they'd let him leave early if he hadn't agreed a new 1

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 pm

I can't see Del Rio or anyone cashing in the MitB for the WWE Title at MITB but thats only because I think Christian will cash in on Orton

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Gaff have you seen the SD spoilers for this week mate?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:01 pm

fernando wrote:well if his contract is up in november maybe they giving him between july and the end of the year to rest and return at the rumble?

If that happened, no doubt about it I'd spill my man juice everywhere Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Anyone know what the Summer of Punk storyline was in ROH? I've heard it mentioned but not sure what it is?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:41 pm

there we go brady everything explained in there was awesome to watch OK

http://gamingring.com/news/2010/04/29/the-backfist-presents-the-summer-of-punk/

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:54 pm

here's what punk put on twitter

I knew I was gone at the beginning of the year. I just woke up one day and I knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time.
I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I knew I'd be history by July. Come say goodbye on July 17th
Come say goodbye on July 17th. I promise to go out with a bang. Trust me. XxX

ironically in june 2005 when he left roh he put the following

I knew I was gone at the beggining of the year.
I just woke up one day and knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time. I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I honestly knew i'd be history by June.
Come say goodbye on Saturday, I promise to go out with a bang.
Trust me.
XxX

sly man has just changed the month

http://cmpunk.livejournal.com/15096.html

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Perhaps WWE really are planning to recreate the Summer of Punk then, would be a very good idea.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 pm

It would be absolutely brilliant if they re did the Summer of Punk story. Without a doubt my favourite promo of all time is the one that Punk cut straight after winning the title at Death by Dishonor III.

Would be a cracking way for him to go and when he would return he'd already have crazy heat.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 pm

I think the tweet the day before his announcement raises eyebrows further...

Droppin' bombs. Big night for king speeches! Summer of Punk, let's go!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I've not read the SD spoilers H so until I see the show somethings I might say might appear out of touch

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 am

Could disbanding the Nexus be classed as honest? If so, thatd be a huge Flip curveball...
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am

If they re-do the Summer of Punk I'll mark out more than I have in years...

It could just be Punk screwing around with his fans though.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am

What was The Summer of Punk?

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

Nando posted a link on a comment above to a site that will explain but if you can't get on then;

The Summer of Punk is where CM Punk was due to leave ROH for the WWE. He won the ROH World Title for the first time at Death By Dishonor and instantly turned on his fans saying that they didn't deserve him. He then went on a mission so to speak to leave ROH with the Championship. He completely messed with the fans, signing his WWE contract in the middle of the ROH ring amongst other things.

I've probably described it terribly but it's a jist!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 am

The fact that he was doing stuff like snow angels in the ring is very Summer of Punk too.

If there is a God I don't care about world peace, equality for all and all that schmuck. I want Summer of Punk, that's all, not much to ask.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 am

Imagine if Punk won the title, then sat in the middle of the ring and signed a new WWE contract. I think Chicago would explode.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

I just wonder how they'll work the crowd because surely this on the level of Bret Hart in Canada and Cena could get booed out of the arena.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am

fernando wrote:here's what punk put on twitter

I knew I was gone at the beginning of the year. I just woke up one day and I knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time.
I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I knew I'd be history by July. Come say goodbye on July 17th
Come say goodbye on July 17th. I promise to go out with a bang. Trust me. XxX

ironically in june 2005 when he left roh he put the following

I knew I was gone at the beggining of the year.
I just woke up one day and knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time. I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I honestly knew i'd be history by June.
Come say goodbye on Saturday, I promise to go out with a bang.
Trust me.
XxX

sly man has just changed the month

http://cmpunk.livejournal.com/15096.html

Punk is being very clever here - he is implying a new Summer of Punk angle where they may be none. The fans go into speculation overdrive raising excitment and anticipation for MITB meaning increased PPV sales proving to the WWE he can draw so that if he returns in future he has more influence backstage. He's keeping his options open, which is sensible but all this speculation could be as misguided as thinking Sting was about to debut in the WWE in February. I hope if it is just kayfabe and a work that WWE really push him but I suspect he will be gone for several months at least.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:20 am

I think Punk is either teasing the fans or rewarding his long-term followers. Probably the first one.

I'm not entirely sure how they'll re-do the Summer of Punk seeing as he's said he's leaving after the 17th. I don't see what they'd achieve by having him sign a new deal in the ring; the whole reason the ROH angle worked was that he was legitimately leaving.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 am

Davieswasacrippledtart wrote:I think Punk is either teasing the fans or rewarding his long-term followers. Probably the first one.

I'm not entirely sure how they'll re-do the Summer of Punk seeing as he's said he's leaving after the 17th. I don't see what they'd achieve by having him sign a new deal in the ring; the whole reason the ROH angle worked was that he was legitimately leaving.

It doesnt have to be a carbon copy of the ROH angle though, and given the way the WWE machine operates it never will be. Are you telling me if Punk won the title and signed a new contract in the middle of the ring you wouldnt be shocked? Its never been done before, nobody would see it coming, and it would be the 'WWE version' of the Summer of Punk. I'd personally love it.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm

I really hope he stays, he is fantastic. I am a little bit in love with Punk at the moment heart

Whatever happens at least we get plenty of Punk in the next few weeks

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm

I don't really want him to win the belt and then sign a contract, personally. If they're selling the PPV on it being Punk's final match and the whole intrigue of whether he'll win the belt and take it with him, it would seem to be that the whole angle would be negated by him winning the belt and then signing a new deal.

Surely the intrigue would be what happens if he wins the belt?

Like I said before, if he wins the belt on the 17th and turns up on Raw as champion on the 18th, the whole selling point for the PPV will turn out to be moot. It will be like when Cena was fired but just turned up every week on Raw like nothing had happened.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:50 pm

But its the whole shock factor of it crips. If the WWE are selling it as his final match with Punk saying he's taking the title with him, then all of a sudden he wins the title, Cena shakes his hand as a sign of respect, before Punk says he's changed his mind and is doing the right thing for the sake of Chicago and signs a new contract there and then, surely that would be a quality way to end a PPV. Title change, hot crowd, face turn, new contract. Whats wrong with that? Its fresh, its a swerve, and it beats Punk losing cleanly before turning up again 4 months later.

Each to their own though i suppose.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry to dwell on this and pardon my ignorance but I still don't quite understand the Summer of punk angle. Am I right in thinking he was leaving on good terms with the fans, won the title and decided to stay a while longer, disrespecting the title before his departure?

I think I'm missing a few of the nuiances by just reading an overview does anyone have a link to a video?

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:58 pm

I agree with crips on this one. If Punk doesn't leave after winning the belt - if he wins it that is - then that's false advertising in my mind. A swerve would be leading the audience to believe something without actually saying it and then doing something else.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:06 pm

A swerve can also be leading the audience to believe something by saying it then actually doing something else. A swerve can be alot of things.

I'm looking at it from a WWE booking perspective. Lets face it, he will NEVER win the title and walk away with it, it just wouldnt happen. So i think we can rule that out straight away.

I cant believe some of you wouldnt be happy if what i suggested happened. There is just no pleasing some people i swear. Maybe if Cena wins clean and we never see Punk again, that would be better eh?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 pm

This is the infamous promo he made after defeating Austin Aries for the ROH title:

"Isn't this the prettiest little thing you've ever seen?
It was over a year ago I held this belt high in the air after I fought for it for the first time in Dayton, Ohio against Samoa Joe and I proclaimed this belt the most important thing to me.
Right now, in my hands, as of this day 6/18/05, THIS becomes the most important belt in the world!
This belt in the hands of any other man is just a belt, but in my hands it becomes power.
Just like this microphone in the hands of any of the boys in the back is just a microphone, but in the hands of a dangerous man like myself it becomes a pipe-bomb.
These words that I speak spoken but anybody else are just words strung loosely together to form sentences.
What I say I mean, and what I mean I say, and they become anthems!
You see, if I could be afforded the time here a little bit of a story.
There was once an old man, walking home from work. He was walking in the snow, and he stumbled upon a snake frozen in the ice. He took that snake, and he brought it home, and he took care of it, and he thawed it out, and he nursed it back to health. And as soon as that snake was well enough, it bit the old man. And as the old man lay there dying he asked the snake, 'Why? I took care of you. I loved you. I saved your life.' And that snake looked that man right in the eye and said, 'You stupid old man. I'm a snake.'
The greatest thing the devil ever did was make you people believe he didn't exist...and you're looking at him right now!
I AM THE DEVIL HIMSELF!
And all of you stupid, mindless people fell for it!
You all believed in the same make-believe superhero that the legendary Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat saw some year ago today.
No, you see, you don't know anything.
You followed me hook-line and sinker, all of you did, and I'm not mad at you...I just feel sorry for you.
This belongs to me!
Everything you see here belongs to me, and I did what I had to do to get my hands on this.
Now I am the GREATEST PRO WRESTLER walkin' the Earth today!
This is my stage, this is my theater, you are my puppets!
When I pulled those marionette strings, and I moved your emotions, and I played with them, and honestly it's 'cause I get off on it.
I hate each and every single one of you with a thousand burns and I will not stop...I will not stop until I prove that I am better than you, that I am better than Low Ki, that I am better than AJ Styles! I'm better than Samoa Joe.
Ladies and gentlemen, the champ is here!
You don't have to love it, but you better learn to accept it.
'Cause I'm taking this with me, and there's not a single person in that locker room that can stop me!"

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm

And who cares if its false advertising? It doesnt always have to be by the book.

At the end of the day, Punk would win the title and stay in the WWE, whats not to like about that?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Mr H wrote:And who cares if its false advertising? It doesnt always have to be by the book.

At the end of the day, Punk would win the title and stay in the WWE, whats not to like about that?

The fans do. If you advertise something then fail to follow through, then you render you're advertising meaningless.

I never said I wouldn't like Punk to stay, I just want the WWE to follow through with something for a nice change. He could leave for a while and then comeback, a la Y2J. CM Punk seems a bright man. He'll know he has been treated like Poopie by McMahon, and for that reason I think MITB will be the last we see of Punk for the foreseeable in the WWE.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Well im a fan, and i wouldnt care. I think it'd be refreshing and a nice suprise if something like that happened. Like i said it doesnt need to be so anal and by the book all the time.

Macho Man lost in what was advertised as a 'Career Threatening Match' at Wrestlemania 7, then a few weeks later he was back on our screens. That was false advertising, but i loved it, and so did most people.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:41 pm

liverbnz wrote:

CM Punk seems a bright man. He'll know he has been treated like Poopie by McMahon .

He's paid to act a role. And I hazard a guess that the pay is quite good.

McMahon pays him - he can ask him to win OR lose as much as he wants.

That's not being treated like poopie.

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 pm

theres always stips in matches like 'loser leaves' but they always return.

however, punk will eventually leave. i predict none of us will have got it right about mitb. i really cannot wait for the next few weeks! but as soon as punk goes, so will i because tbh any storyline they do after punks departure will be no where near good enough for not just me but alot of people.

there aren't really any other stars that make me want to watch, i have an interest in truth's development but tbh thats it. obviously cant wait for royal rumble 11' and wrestlemania 20 whatever were on now and the rock. but apart from that im not really interested.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Mr H wrote:Well im a fan, and i wouldnt care. I think it'd be refreshing and a nice suprise if something like that happened. Like i said it doesnt need to be so anal and by the book all the time.

Macho Man lost in what was advertised as a 'Career Threatening Match' at Wrestlemania 7, then a few weeks later he was back on our screens. That was false advertising, but i loved it, and so did most people.

Back on our screens as an active wrestler?

Neither am I saying it has to be by the book. These are the common basics of advertising - one that the WWE have rarely stuck to in recent times, which is bloody annoying and would be valid reason for the fanbase not being as big as it possibly should.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Electric Demon wrote:
liverbnz wrote:

CM Punk seems a bright man. He'll know he has been treated like Poopie by McMahon .

What was it 15/16 PPVS in a row where CM Punk failed to win a match? If you think that doesn't affect any sane employee and we're all just in it for the money then well for ya. You'd be wrong.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:46 pm

If Punk is set on leaving at the end of his contract in November then the WWE could just be putting him on the shelf for the final 4 months of his deal, add to that the 90 day no compete and Punk could be looking at 7 months out

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 pm

I just feel that the WWE will miss a trick of epic proportions if they dont provide some sort of unexpected twist at the end of the PPV. The foundations are there, there are so many possibilities they could pull the trigger on to really wow us. If its the expected clean Cena win and Punk waves goodbye it will be a huge letdown in my eyes. It is such a huge opportunity for the WWE to pull a rabbit out of the hat, however i have little faith that they will do so.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm

the-gaffer wrote:If Punk is set on leaving at the end of his contract in November then the WWE could just be putting him on the shelf for the final 4 months of his deal, add to that the 90 day no compete and Punk could be looking at 7 months out

And for someone who apparantly loves the business so much, it would be suprising if Punk took 7 months out. Which is more reason to believe that all may not be what it seems.

I just find it odd that they'd use his contract expiring in a storyline. If there are uncertainties about him ever returning they should just write him out in an injury angle or something ala Jericho, it leaves the door open if a new contract can be negotiated. But to publicly say his contract is expiring is odd.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

cm punk update  - Page 2 Empty Randy Orton's 'concussion' REAL!!!

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

liverbnz wrote:
Mr H wrote:Well im a fan, and i wouldnt care. I think it'd be refreshing and a nice suprise if something like that happened. Like i said it doesnt need to be so anal and by the book all the time.

Back on our screens as an active wrestler?

Neither am I saying it has to be by the book. These are the common basics of advertising - one that the WWE have rarely stuck to in recent times, which is bloody annoying and would be valid reason for the fanbase not being as big as it possibly should.
YES Back on the screen as a Wrestler, he lost to Warrior at WrestleMania then 3 weeks later had a match with Ric Martel, by October that same year he was back in the ring full time

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 pm

liverbnz wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:
liverbnz wrote:

What was it 15/16 PPVS in a row where CM Punk failed to win a match? If you think that doesn't affect any sane employee and we're all just in it for the money then well for ya. You'd be wrong.

It's not great for esteem

But it's not being treated like poopie is it?

He's on TV every week - not backstage cleaning toilets

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Like I said, I can only equate it to the Cena stip in the autumn.

I'm a huge Punk fan, he's my favourite wrestler by a mile, but I want wrestling companies to book in a disciplined way.

The whole crux of the angle is this: Punk will not be on Raw after the 17th of July. It doesn't work otherwise. The PPV build up revolves around him rebelling against the company. If he wins the title and then signs a new contract, as much as I want to see him on TV every week, I'd feel cheated. It's not a pay off.

It's like if Cena said "I'll jump under a bus if I don't retain the title". Then he loses the title, and says "Actually I decided not to jump under a bus".

WWE has repeatedly made the mistake of getting people emotionally invested in a storyline and then not delivering. What you're suggesting would be another example. Over time I believe this erodes the audience, who become gradually reluctant to invest in any storylines.

If it's a twist you want, I think it's far more likely that Punk beats Cena, the announcers are in shock that he is leaving with the belt, and the MITB winner then cashes in the briefcase. For the vast majority of the audience, I think that will be a perfectly acceptable pay off.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next