The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob Arum on UFC

+17
whotobeA
Rowley
J.Benson II
coxy0001
Union Cane
The genius of PBF
BALTIMORA
Jukebox Timebomb
Sir. badgerhands
Gerflagenflople
Michaels, Sean
Valero's Conscience
huw
Daz
School Project
Lumbering_Jack
Steffan
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bob Arum on UFC - Page 2 Empty Bob Arum on UFC

Post by Steffan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

"For me, I look at the UFC audience and the boxing audience as being two different audiences entirely. Our audience in boxing is ethnic. Hispanic, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and the hardcore boxing fan who can't watch ... like me ... can't watch UFC. UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys. Ninety percent of the people in the audience wear tattoos. I don't care. That's up to them.

But those aren't people that would have any interest, at any time, in boxing. The only guy they might want to see is Kelly Pavlik. For me, and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent. The guys who throw punches, can't throw a punch to save they're a-s. When the punches land, the guys have no chins. These are not like boxers"

Regards

Steffan

Last edited by Steffan on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Bob Arum on UFC - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob Arum on UFC

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

rowley wrote:There is a rumour the kid is going to have an american accent and a slight Don Curry obsession.
If it also comes out massively overweight, gay and retarded then you may have a point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Congratulations mate, aren't you a bit old for all that though?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
rowley wrote:There is a rumour the kid is going to have an american accent and a slight Don Curry obsession.
If it also comes out massively overweight, gay and retarded then you may have a point!

That is possibly the most childish comment I have ever seen on here, however it is also perhaps the most amusing, which probably speaks worse of me than it does of you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Arum's comments were made a couple years back when UFC was more popular, with many believing that it could be a rival to Boxing.

It's not taken a backwards step. When you look at the shear amount of events the UFC alone puts on.

They are completely different sports so shouldn't rival each other anyway.

UFC was at it's peak when Brock Lesnar was champ. Think about how much UFC was on the 'up' at that time and compare it to now.

Now the big wigs in Boxing don't feel threatened by UFC/MMA so don't talk s*#t about it, like Arum did back then.

Lesnar only lost about 9 months ago! Are you saying MMA/UFC has taken a huge hit since?!? You obviously don't follow MMA and are anti-MMA and just saying any old tosh to support your view.

Yes he's a huge draw and did create new fans from the wrestling side but they would have been drawn in for some years since Lesnar had been in it and wouldn't have suddenly switched off because he's now not champ and maybe retiring.

Are there figures you have to support this sudden drop over the course of this year?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Arum's comments were made a couple years back when UFC was more popular, with many believing that it could be a rival to Boxing.

It's not taken a backwards step. When you look at the shear amount of events the UFC alone puts on.

UFC was at it's peak when Brock Lesnar was champ. Think about how much UFC was on the 'up' at that time and compare it to now.

Now the big wigs in Boxing don't feel threatened by UFC/MMA so don't talk s*#t about it, like Arum did back then.

Lesnar only lost about 9 months ago! Are you saying MMA/UFC has taken a huge hit since?!? You obviously don't follow MMA and are anti-MMA and just saying any old tosh to support your view.

Yes he's a huge draw and did create new fans from the wrestling side but they would have been drawn in for some years since Lesnar had been in it and wouldn't have suddenly switched off because he's now not champ and maybe retiring.

Are there figures you have to support this sudden drop over the course of this year?

Err, do you mind? we're talking about babies......

It could be schengs? I heard he's a fertile sort of fella
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

That is possibly the most childish comment I have ever seen on here, however it is also perhaps the most amusing, which probably speaks worse of me than it does of you.
No it doesn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:As do I Dave. Am I right in thinking congrats are in order?
Sorry, I have been unable to secure Peter Jackson at the top of the 606v2 ranks so your congratulations are welcomed, if a tad early...oh, I see what you mean now!

Yes, still waiting for our scan which is next week...but very exciting times though.

I can imagine they are. I'm currently being bombarded with requests from the Mrs to get her knocked up, but I'm still futilely clinging onto what tattered remnants of my youth I still possess. Good luck with the whole shebang mate!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm

Much like the boxing, in UFC there's always some new star/hype job coming through the ranks. Some rise, some fall. Such is the way of things

One of their hottest new properties is a lad called Jon Jones! From what I've seen of him, he has the potential be be a "star" in the UFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Sorry, I have been unable to secure Peter Jackson at the top of the 606v2 ranks so your congratulations are welcomed, if a tad early...oh, I see what you mean now!

Yes, still waiting for our scan which is next week...but very exciting times though.

I can imagine they are. I'm currently being bombarded with requests from the Mrs to get her knocked up, but I'm still futilely clinging onto what tattered remnants of my youth I still possess. Good luck with the whole shebang mate!
I waited for the right woman and right time to get married, made sense sense to apply the same philosophy towards having children. We didn't feel the need to rush into starting a family immediately after we got married but were both in agreement that whilst we were trying for a family we weren't actual TRYING. Some couples let it rule their lives to the point where sex becomes some horribly stilted and regimented exercise devoid of any and all emotion...TRUSS will know more about it than me though!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Thankfully I've not reached that depth yet (insert knob gag), it's just the other half being broody. Still, it could be worse as you point out. Small mercies and all that?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

Back on the topic of UFC, I have a mate who watches it; he doesn't dislike boxing, but he doesn't like slow matches-he has a real short attention span, but that's what I don't understand because a larger proportion of the UFC fights I've seen have been pretty dull, compared to boxing.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

I can honestly say (having 2 rugrats of my own) its the biggest challenge of your life. The rewards far far outweigh the begging for 6 hrs sleep and you will find yourself staggering about the house in the early hrs of the morning talking in a silly voice...not not a million miles from the nightclub years!

I dont think boxing & UFC nescassarily need to affect each other and i really doubt its a choice tbh. Rugger & rugby league have these little spats but ultimatley they're very different and its a case of each to their own. For what its worth i like many others cant get into UFC due to the going to ground stuff & i think it has a long long way to go before its as established as boxing. Look at all the boxers who are household names, then name some of the UFC blokes?

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I waited for the right woman and right time to get married, made sense sense to apply the same philosophy towards having children. We didn't feel the need to rush into starting a family immediately after we got married but were both in agreement that whilst we were trying for a family we weren't actual TRYING. Some couples let it rule their lives to the point where sex becomes some horribly stilted and regimented exercise devoid of any and all emotion...TRUSS will know more about it than me though!

F@~k me Dave. This isn't Jeremy Kyle
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:F@~k me Dave.

Are you sure about that? It would probably be a horribly stilted and regimented exercise devoid of any and all emotion.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

Insert knob? Gag?

Sounds horrendously grown up but you need to work out the practicalities of having a family. Think worst case scenario's etc. (obviously not fatalities, that's a bit too grim) but look at it this way, if one of you couldn't go back to work, could you manage on one wage? Don't get me wrong, we can all "manage" but bear in mind that bringing up a baby on a limited income CAN be done, but it should only ever really be a short term thing, the toll it takes on your relationship will have a negative effect on the baby and, do you really want that kind of start for your children?

Explain to her that whilst you can think of nothing better than starting a family with her (great opening line) you also want to make sure that your baby has the best possible start in life. If she's insistant though, wave goodbye to life as you know it and prepare for an adventure that could be part fairytale part horror flick

Sorry Sean, grown ups talking for a second, we'll be back to talking about imaginary women you'd sleep with in a minute

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:F@~k me Dave.

Are you sure about that? It would probably be a horribly stilted and regimented exercise devoid of any and all emotion.
Nope, that's if he was sleeping with TRUSSMAN. I'm a very caring and sensitive lover...just ask whatserface!

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

I find it funny when Truss announces he has a kid on the way, another poster decides to copy him...like Truss says the poster in question goes on about the unrelated boxing stuff 99% of the time.

Boxing will always be superior to UFC!

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Insert knob? Gag?

Sounds horrendously grown up but you need to work out the practicalities of having a family. Think worst case scenario's etc. (obviously not fatalities, that's a bit too grim) but look at it this way, if one of you couldn't go back to work, could you manage on one wage? Don't get me wrong, we can all "manage" but bear in mind that bringing up a baby on a limited income CAN be done, but it should only ever really be a short term thing, the toll it takes on your relationship will have a negative effect on the baby and, do you really want that kind of start for your children?

Explain to her that whilst you can think of nothing better than starting a family with her (great opening line) you also want to make sure that your baby has the best possible start in life. If she's insistant though, wave goodbye to life as you know it and prepare for an adventure that could be part fairytale part horror flick

Sorry Sean, grown ups talking for a second, we'll be back to talking about imaginary women you'd sleep with in a minute

Are you drunk?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

whotobeA wrote:I can honestly say (having 2 rugrats of my own) its the biggest challenge of your life. The rewards far far outweigh the begging for 6 hrs sleep and you will find yourself staggering about the house in the early hrs of the morning talking in a silly voice...not not a million miles from the nightclub years!

I dont think boxing & UFC nescassarily need to affect each other and i really doubt its a choice tbh. Rugger & rugby league have these little spats but ultimatley they're very different and its a case of each to their own. For what its worth i like many others cant get into UFC due to the going to ground stuff & i think it has a long long way to go before its as established as boxing. Look at all the boxers who are household names, then name some of the UFC blokes?

I second that, although I unfortunately/fortunately (depending on my mood and the day I've had) have four children including a set of twins. I don't mind the lack of sleep, it is the fact it takes two hours longer just to get out of the bloody door whenever we go out.

Anyway, best of luck DAVE. Are you planning to find out the flavour when you have your scan?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

Lads - seriously, what the hell is going on?

I am all in favour of internet banter. But could we please follow the following rules:
1. Keep all "banter" within the boundaries of taste.
2. Avoid abusing other posters (incidentally - if that poster isn't even online, it does you no credit at all)
3. Keep posts remotely on topic. The topic here is Bob Arum's opinions on UFC. Its been a long time since anyone was discussing it.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

Oxring - Would discussing this on a "DAVE's having a baby!!" article be allowed then?

I fear not.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

Well said Oxy, have no real problem with the topic but as someone who has no kids or has no intention of ever having one was feeling terribly excluded.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

I have two jeff, I could lend you one?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

How about a thread on which boxers you'd name your kid after..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:How about a thread on which boxers you'd name your kid after..?

Am getting a new cat soon, am thinking of naming him Archie after Archie Moore

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

I think if any kids got called sugar round our way they would certainly need to know how to box growing up!

Though this comment is still digression i feel it still constitutes a boxing theme!?

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

I've just finihed paediatrics - I'd have nicked you one if you'd asked Jeff!

Being serious for a second - I don't mind the chatting re: Dave's happy news (congrats from me and all the best for the next 9 months. You'll need it).

But if someone could occasionally mention boxing for a second, that'd be nice.

So, with this in mind:

UFC is a bit of a hype job. MMA in itself is full of Arum's stereotype - and the refs let fighters continue with far too serious a cut so you have the "spectacle" of 2 men rolling on the floor, covered in blood smashing each other with elbows. I scorn the Romans for their love of the arena - I must extend the same principles here.

What annoys me more, however, is their notion that "the best fight the best" and that "they" have the undisputed champion. Really? When did Fedor fight Lesnar or any of the other paper-UFC HW champs? Fedor was been the best MMA HW fighter for a decade and he never fought on the UFC.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

Surely taste is subjective...there we go on about that poster again. BTW, If the poster IS online, do we get credit for it?

I also keep offering nuggest of wisdom re UFC so I do feel we're keeping this OFT REPEATED subject on topic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

rowley wrote:

Hoping to convince my wife to let me have "Peter" as a middle name...I can tell her it's after one of Liverpool's greatest ever players (Beardsley not Crouch!) If it's a girl..."Peter" will still do nicely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

rowley wrote:Well said Oxy, have no real problem with the topic but as someone who has no kids or has no intention of ever having one was feeling terribly excluded.
Surely there are enough big babies on here that command your attention on a daily basis

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

oxring wrote:I've just finihed paediatrics - I'd have nicked you one if you'd asked Jeff!

Being serious for a second - I don't mind the chatting re: Dave's happy news (congrats from me and all the best for the next 9 months. You'll need it).

But if someone could occasionally mention boxing for a second, that'd be nice.

So, with this in mind:

UFC is a bit of a hype job. MMA in itself is full of Arum's stereotype - and the refs let fighters continue with far too serious a cut so you have the "spectacle" of 2 men rolling on the floor, covered in blood smashing each other with elbows. I scorn the Romans for their love of the arena - I must extend the same principles here.

What annoys me more, however, is their notion that "the best fight the best" and that "they" have the undisputed champion. Really? When did Fedor fight Lesnar or any of the other paper-UFC HW champs? Fedor was been the best MMA HW fighter for a decade and he never fought on the UFC.

I agree Oxring that this is not always the case but is for 95% of the time. UFC is like the Top Rank but they have 90% of the best fighters. Fedor never fought some of the UFC guys agreed but Strikeforce who he is with have been purchased by UFC along with PRIDE to ensure the best match ups can be made.

For example within weeks of the merger, Strikeforce's and UFC's welterweight champs have been fixed to fight each other this autumn and the heavyweights within Strikeforce have an 8 man tournament and the winner, which hopefully will be Overeem will surely fight the UFC champ.

Regardless of what you prefer, more is right in MMA than in boxing in relation to matching fighters to face each other.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

I couldn't hold boxing up as a great argument for good matchmaking Valero!

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head - UFC is streets ahead in the matchmaking stakes - but its not the perfection that Dana White would have me believe.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Being a very casual fan of MMA I'm in a better place to judge than most. I can say that MMA had greater appeal a couple years back. I think the 'fad' has worn off a bit. For instance, the first time UFC came to the UK there was loads of hype and build up, last time it came I didn't even know until after it happened!!!

I tell you what should we continue this chat over on the MMA section. No, because it gets about 1 post per day.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

rowley wrote:

I have a pitbull named Tyson.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:01 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

christ......
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:03 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

Explains a lot

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

I have a Dyson named Pitbull, actually I don't but I felt a bit left out.

Do have a child though, Dave enjoy your sleep now, seriously you take it for granted and have no idea how much you are going to miss it!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

Do you also have a penchant for tracksuits and drinking cider on street corners?
Does your XR3i have go faster stripes and large exhausts?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

XR3i badger!!! how old are you, it's a Corsa nowadays mate, get with the times

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

rowley wrote:XR3i badger!!! how old are you, it's a Corsa nowadays mate, get with the times
I see my finger still feels the pulse of yooth culture!! Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

I think there is some cross over in the PPV, which ome people seem to disagree. The average income person, might not spend alot on PPV if there is a boxing and MMA even in same month, as in America PPV is bloody expensive.

Also fights in Las Vegas are bad for MMA as the Nevada gaming comiision says they have to use their judges but the said judges arent experts in the sport and there is the occasional disgraceful decision.

A dog called Tyson? Do you wear a tracksuit as fashion, and walk with a baseball cap at a raised angle? Perhaps have a car with exhaust pipe the size of a dust bin?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

are you joking, while reading and writing, badger beat me to it

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

Great minds and all that!! Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

I disagree that UFC is just a fad. It is still becoming bigger all over the world. Under dana White it has grown year on year since 2001 going from a 2 million company to over a billion dollar company. This year UFC are putting on more events than ever, next year will be the same. I really do believe mma can be the biggest sport in the world in the future.

You may not hear about UFC coming to the UK nowadays but the number of amatuer/smaller mma events in britain is going up all the time too. The sport of mma is still growing.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

Not sure why UFC is not exploiting the UK more. There must be thousands of Chavs in London alone. They need to work on their marketing - UFC hoodies, UFC Plain White trainers, UFC Sovereigns, UFC Studded Collar (for the staffy)........
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

rowley wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

Explains a lot

My attempt at dry wit is obviously lost on some...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

Explains a lot

Stick to half wit. It suits you better Wink
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

Clearly mate, you'll have to use smilies in future may penetrate my thick skull

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:35 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rowley wrote:

Explains a lot

Stick to half wit. It suits you better Wink

Any chance you can make up another story. Your blatant lies make me feel grateful for what I have.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Calm your skin down petal
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down