The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob Arum on UFC

+17
whotobeA
Rowley
J.Benson II
coxy0001
Union Cane
The genius of PBF
BALTIMORA
Jukebox Timebomb
Sir. badgerhands
Gerflagenflople
Michaels, Sean
Valero's Conscience
huw
Daz
School Project
Lumbering_Jack
Steffan
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bob Arum on UFC Empty Bob Arum on UFC

Post by Steffan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

"For me, I look at the UFC audience and the boxing audience as being two different audiences entirely. Our audience in boxing is ethnic. Hispanic, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and the hardcore boxing fan who can't watch ... like me ... can't watch UFC. UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys. Ninety percent of the people in the audience wear tattoos. I don't care. That's up to them.

But those aren't people that would have any interest, at any time, in boxing. The only guy they might want to see is Kelly Pavlik. For me, and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent. The guys who throw punches, can't throw a punch to save they're a-s. When the punches land, the guys have no chins. These are not like boxers"

Regards

Steffan

Last edited by Steffan on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Bob Arum on UFC Empty Re: Bob Arum on UFC

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

HW Champ - Mexican
LHW Champ - Black American
MW Champ - Black Brazilian
WW Champ - French/Canadian
LW - Frankie Edgar (not bald)
FW - Brazilian
BW - American

So, in summary, Arum is an idiot.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

Bernard Hopkins said something similar a year or two back about UFC being for pansies and called the sport "suspect" as the guys roll around on the floor in short pants.

I for one couldn't care less about the Boxing vs. UFC argument as I can't say I'm a lover of MMA at all. But I respect the guys who are in it for the work they put in... just like any boxer. They are in the ring to beat another man... that takes a lot of guts, just as boxing has throughout the years.

Bob Arum is just a grumpy old fool. The funny thing is UFC has been successful as you have one group of fighters fighting the best, in-house. The closest thing old man Bob can come to that is forcing his boxers to fight in-house whilst AVOIDING the best in the world. The codger is ruining boxing at the moment Sad

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:27 am

Arum is a dinosaur. He has very old views. UFC and MMA are very good entertainment.

Different sport completely.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

Arum probably gives UFC as much promotion as the guy that promotes it.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:19 am

huw wrote:Arum probably gives UFC as much promotion as the guy that promotes it.

You obviously don't follow MMA/UFC then?

They sold out a 55,000 seater venue for the last big fight.

MMA is huge now it's just never been big in the UK, but starting to, maybe because the UK doesn't has never been into wrestling/grappling?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:51 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:
huw wrote:Arum probably gives UFC as much promotion as the guy that promotes it.

MMA is huge now it's just never been big in the UK, but starting to, maybe because the UK doesn't has never been into wrestling/grappling?

I am aware of it, and regardless of my opinion on it (not a fan, prefer stand up MMA) I also see the Arum speaks out about it almost fortnightly. Not saying they need his promotion just that he does give them a lot.

You say that the UK doesn't have a history of wrestling, I'm sure Big Daddy would be rolling in his lycra clad grave at such a suggestion.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

huw wrote:

I am aware of it, and regardless of my opinion on it (not a fan, prefer stand up MMA) I also see the Arum speaks out about it almost fortnightly. Not saying they need his promotion just that he does give them a lot.

You say that the UK doesn't have a history of wrestling, I'm sure Big Daddy would be rolling in his lycra clad grave at such a suggestion.

Ha ha RIP Big Daddy! I think Arum speaks about it because he knows it's growing in popularity, I like both but follow and prefer boxing more but I truly think it will be bigger than boxing in a just a few years. The best fight the best on a constant basis so fans get good fights with genuine hype. They also put on good fight cards which have 2-3 fights on a night that in boxing would be showcased on individual events.

Dana White of the UFC doesn't allow fighters to control events with their ego's as they all have contracts so basically he picks the fights and tells them who to fight.

Their pay does not match boxers but the fans gain more.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

I'd compare the differences between MMA and Boxing with T20 and Test Cricket.

T20 doesn't require an appreciation of the skills and concentration that Test Match viewing does. It's just all out brawling regardless of holds, grappling technique ets.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

If you say MMA is all out brawling you are as clueless as someboy that says boxing is just punching. It's a very hard and extremely technical sport (just look at the sheer variety of weapons they can use and have to defend against. That said I'm a purist and prefer to watch "a master of one than a jack of all" but that's just me.

On a side note did anybody see the UFC at the weekend? The fact the ref didn't stop the K floor fight or the Shame Carwin despite that bleeding to me didn't do any favours for the UFC's reputation as a skinhead bloodsport. Shame carwin looked like somebody had taken a cheesegrater to his face at the end of round one and even his opponent stopped hitting him to look at the ref as if are you just going to let me do this?

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

*sorry K Florian and Shane Carwin, predictive text fail...

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

Ok. It's wrestling with handbags thrown in.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

Gerflagenflople wrote:If you say MMA is all out brawling you are as clueless as someboy that says boxing is just punching. It's a very hard and extremely technical sport (just look at the sheer variety of weapons they can use and have to defend against. That said I'm a purist and prefer to watch "a master of one than a jack of all" but that's just me.

On a side note did anybody see the UFC at the weekend? The fact the ref didn't stop the K floor fight or the Shame Carwin despite that bleeding to me didn't do any favours for the UFC's reputation as a skinhead bloodsport. Shame carwin looked like somebody had taken a cheesegrater to his face at the end of round one and even his opponent stopped hitting him to look at the ref as if are you just going to let me do this?

Did see it at the weekend and have to admit the late stoppages in UFC are one of the main turn-offs for me.

That along with the fact that 90% of UFC fighters seem gassed after a round.

It's a sport I watch if it's on and I'm awake. But I certainly wouldn't set an alarm at ungodly to get up and watch it especially as I do with boxing.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:Ok. It's wrestling with handbags thrown in.

thumbsup that made me lol in the office... Whoops

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

Arum's comments were made a couple years back when UFC was more popular, with many believing that it could be a rival to Boxing.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

With Hopkins being "faux" shafted by Calzaghe then crawling around on all fours with his ass in the air, he should be careful about which direction he throws those "gay" allegations.

One of Bob Arum's main guys has a shaved head and loads of tattoos but I don't hear him criticising Miguel Cotto. I have a shaved head and tattoos, but I bet that if I approached Mr Arum and tried to offer him a load of money, he'd soon forget AAALLLLLL about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Arum's comments were made a couple years back when UFC was more popular, with many believing that it could be a rival to Boxing.

It's not taken a backwards step. When you look at the shear amount of events the UFC alone puts on.

They are completely different sports so shouldn't rival each other anyway.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Now I admit it can be boring, but I would very much enjoy seeing you trade "handbags" with an MMA fighter, even a local semi-pro would batter you...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Arum's comments were made a couple years back when UFC was more popular, with many believing that it could be a rival to Boxing.

It's not taken a backwards step. When you look at the shear amount of events the UFC alone puts on.

They are completely different sports so shouldn't rival each other anyway.

UFC was at it's peak when Brock Lesnar was champ. Think about how much UFC was on the 'up' at that time and compare it to now.

Now the big wigs in Boxing don't feel threatened by UFC/MMA so don't talk s*#t about it, like Arum did back then.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

~ Let's not put the horse before uncle Bob's cart here gents...today he is telling the truth, but today is but the yesterday of tomorrow, and we all know what Bobby boy says of yesterday's words...

Bob Arum simply isn't to be trusted.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

DAVE667 wrote:With Hopkins being "faux" shafted by Calzaghe then crawling around on all fours with his ass in the air, he should be careful about which direction he throws those "gay" allegations.

One of Bob Arum's main guys has a shaved head and loads of tattoos but I don't hear him criticising Miguel Cotto. I have a shaved head and tattoos, but I bet that if I approached Mr Arum and tried to offer him a load of money, he'd soon forget AAALLLLLL about that.

http://www.blacksportsonline.com/zjbenard.html

Seems like Hopkins is jealous.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Now I admit it can be boring, but I would very much enjoy seeing you trade "handbags" with an MMA fighter, even a local semi-pro would batter you...

No chance, I'd stun them with the pedigree, then finish him off with some sweet chin music. All too easy.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm

~ Shaved heads and bad tattoos..? Why, Mr Arum is surely referencing his own Mr Pavlik, no?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

No chance, I'd stun them with the pedigree, then finish him off with some sweet chin music. All too easy.

I would box your head off and finish you when I feel like it. boxing

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

BALTIMORA wrote: ~ Shaved heads and bad tattoos..? Why, Mr Arum is surely referencing his own Mr Pavlik, no?

Has it been a week yet?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

I would box your head off and finish you when I feel like it. boxing

You couldn't box chocolates son.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

Internet tough guys, yay!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

Chocolates would put up more off a fight then you. boxing

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

Union Cane wrote:Internet tough guys, yay!

Do you want some Union? Where's the best gym between Grimsby and Aldershot?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

I would go easy on Union let him go the distance out of pity. Yahoo

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

This makes me laugh.

There is no saying that that would be the case here, the disciplines in MMA do take talent don't get me wrong but one really good punch could end a fight regardless of how well trained they are.

No matter what the discipline a punch is still a punch a kick is still a kick and a choke hold is still not a healthy way to handle your private parts.

Last edited by huw on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!!)

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

No matter what the discipline a punch is still a punch a kick is still a kick and a chock hold is still not a healthy way to handle your private parts.

What's a chock hold?

Do they smother themselves in chocolate and start wrassling on the floor or something?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Won't let me say c*ck, what if i wanted to talk about my prize fighting 'said c-word'!?!? Disgraceful

Last edited by coxy0001 on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Couldn't use a naughty word)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
That along with the fact that 90% of UFC fighters seem gassed after a round.

Too be fair, grappling is extremley energy-sapping, far more so than boxing. Its no surprise that stamina is often so crucial in MMA.

As for Arum, his moronic comments were in retaliation for some accurate and legitimate criticisms made against him by Dana White.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
No matter what the discipline a punch is still a punch a kick is still a kick and a chock hold is still not a healthy way to handle your private parts.

What's a chock hold?

Do they smother themselves in chocolate and start wrassling on the floor or something?

WRASSLIN'

not

wrassling
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

What's a chock hold?

If their Jessica Alba and Cheryl Cole I would pay to watch. randy

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

huw wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

This makes me laugh.

There is no saying that that would be the case here, the disciplines in MMA do take talent don't get me wrong but one really good punch could end a fight regardless of how well trained they are.

No matter what the discipline a punch is still a punch a kick is still a kick and a choke hold is still not a healthy way to handle your private parts.

Back in serious mode now. Have to disagree. If this is the case why do guys of similar sizes pack different punches? Collazo landed on Hatton a lot but couldn't get him out of there. Pacquiao, a much smaller man destruyoed him with 2 or 3 punches.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:52 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:

Back in serious mode now. Have to disagree. If this is the case why do guys of similar sizes pack different punches? Collazo landed on Hatton a lot but couldn't get him out of there. Pacquiao, a much smaller man destruyoed him with 2 or 3 punches.

Again though, there are obviously differences. If a semi-pro MMA fighter was to get into a brawl he would obviously have a decent amount of experience in fighting situations. You would expect him to be able to beat someone who hasn't had any martial arts background.

But there would be occasions where they are hit by a very good punch and it's lights out.

It would in theory be slightly different for a boxer and they are trained more towards rolling with punches and would again in general be more used to getting punched in the face.

My comment was based upon the fact that it was suggested 'any' semi-pro MMA fighter would be able to beat 'a user on this website'. This is a laughable comment as there is a lot of difference between MMA fighters levels of ability and no matter how much training you are given if you get punched hard in the right place you could get KO'd.

Not saying the MMA fighter shouldn't win, just that it isn't completely clear cut.

And also I thought I was quick with my edit on the chock hold, you were all poised like tigers!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

I reckon Truss could have most MMA fighters. He's still got it you know?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:I reckon Truss could have most MMA fighters. He's still got it you know?

I heard he already has, oh in a fight.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote: ~ Shaved heads and bad tattoos..? Why, Mr Arum is surely referencing his own Mr Pavlik, no?

Has it been a week yet?

~ Why indeed it has, my good man! 'tis as if time itself had sprouted soft-feathered wings!

Time flies eh?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

Balti, not sure what has happened to you in your absense but one sub Russell Brand bold texted dullard is more than enough mate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

rowley wrote:Balti, not sure what has happened to you in your absense but one sub Russell Brand bold texted dullard is more than enough mate.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to see what the appeal was. Still none the wiser, in fairness.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

rowley wrote:Balti, not sure what has happened to you in your absense but one sub Russell Brand bold texted dullard is more than enough mate.
I concur with the cur, Rowley, on this one!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

As do I Dave. Am I right in thinking congrats are in order?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:As do I Dave. Am I right in thinking congrats are in order?
Sorry, I have been unable to secure Peter Jackson at the top of the 606v2 ranks so your congratulations are welcomed, if a tad early...oh, I see what you mean now!

Yes, still waiting for our scan which is next week...but very exciting times though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

Does that mean you've pupped Mrs 667?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Is it yours you reckon?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

p.s. good gunning if it is Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

There is a rumour the kid is going to have an american accent and a slight Don Curry obsession.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next