The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 12 Jul 2019, 3:49 pm

Surrey have named a thirteen man squad for this weekend’s Specsavers County Championship game against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge.
Opener Mark Stoneman is missing for family reasons whilst off spinner Amar Virdi has been selected in a Championship squad for the first time this season. Shocked
Wicket keeper Ben Foakes and all-rounder Sam Curran are both missing from the squad due to England Lions commitments in the match against Australia A in Canterbury. Rolling Eyes
Gus Atkinson (back stress fracture) is a long term absentee while fellow seamers Conor McKerr (heel & hip) and Jade Dernbach (side) are working back to fitness. Ollie Pope, who is back in the nets, is continuing his journey back to full fitness after dislocating his shoulder back in April. Fingers Crossed
Batsman Arun Harinath joined Hampshire on loan last week, whilst Tom Curran, Liam Plunkett & Jason Roy are all still with England for the ICC Cricket World Cup.
Full Squad
Rory Burns (captain)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Matthew Dunn
Dean Elgar
Will Jacks
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith (wk)
Freddie van den Bergh
Amar Virdi
This is the hardest selection of the year without a doubt Headscratch
I would leave Borthwick out of this game but I don't think the management will just yet
Is Freddie in the squad as just a batsman don't think we need 3 spinners ?
I would love to see Dunn back in but our tail would be even longer.
so Dunn and Batty to miss out possibly
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm

Hi JimBob - what a mess we're in! I think Meaker is the only available professional not in this squad and even he isn't 100% fit - his recovering from an elbow injury meant he was only allowed to bowl 8 overs for the stiffs this week.

I'm pretty sure Borthwick will play. We are just so short of batsmen - particularly with Stoneman suddenly unavailable and Harinath now gone (I don't reckon he'll be back).

Assuming Batty is fully recovered and it's not a complete bunsen at Trent Bridge (they do have Ashwin!), Virdi and Burger Van are the ones I'm guessing to miss out. From last time, that means Patel for Sam Curran, Jacks for Foakes (with Smith now keeping) and Shocked Dunn for Stoneman. I would be happy to have Dunn back but the balance seems very wrong.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jul 2019, 7:53 am

Looking at the weather and the Notts squad containing a few spinners, I'm starting to think we may play a second slow man.

That would probably mean more bad news for Dunn, especially if Virdi - like Dunn, a rabbit with the bat- comes in. If Burger Van, the best batsman of our spinners, were to play - unlikely as his days seem very numbered - then Clark could be at risk along with Dunn.

Just to add, Broad is back for Notts although Duckett is injured and Nash sits this one out following recent concussion. Patterson-White, a slow left-armer, took a fivefer on his CC debut at Somerset last week despite missing much of the first two days going down with tonsillitis half an hour after the start! He is expected to play along with Ashwin.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 10:34 am

Dunn and burger van miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 10:38 am

Surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 13 Jul 2019, 11:31 am

Batting first with Batty and Virdi both playing the right choice, does mean we will need to weather an overcloud day today tho...Patel currently in Boycott mode
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 13 Jul 2019, 11:35 am

Used pitch also - so definitely going to spin...imagine it’ll be a low scoring game too

Ashwin gets Patel early...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jul 2019, 1:47 pm

104/2 at the break. That's very good going against Ashwin on a used pitch.

Clever to split up Patel, Jacks and Smith in the order; looked originally as if they would bat at 4, 5 and 6 which would have been tough for three youngsters respectively aged 21, 20 and 19 and especially against the canny Ashwin.

Handy as well for us to have got after Patterson-White, Notts' young slow left-armer; 0/24 off 4, he won't be enjoying his lunch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 2:48 pm

just seen the burns decision that was truly appalling Doh
David Millns shame on you warning

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sat 13 Jul 2019, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 3:00 pm

this game will be over quickly
must have borrowed the groundsman from tauton

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 3:42 pm

Borthwick out 2 balls before tea steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:14 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Borthwick out 2 balls before tea steam

Solanki must have taught him how to do that! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:16 pm

201/6.

I would settle for 250. A long way to go but with Notts batting last, that should help to put us in a decent position ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Borthwick out 2 balls before tea steam

Solanki must have taught him how to do that! Wink
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:43 pm

clark throws his wkt away picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 4:46 pm

looks like we should have played burger van as well

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

Clarke gone 14 away from the magical 250

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 5:09 pm

Morkel that is rather embarrassing picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

240 all out Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jul 2019, 6:31 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:240 all out Rolling Eyes

And Notts 20/1 in reply at stumps. Pretty even I would think.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 13 Jul 2019, 7:08 pm

Yeah don’t see this one lasting into the final session on day 4...and Notts chasing anything above 150 last dig will be tough
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 14 Jul 2019, 11:55 am

Meanwhile, in today's big game Wink Notts slump to 41/5. 3 for Virdi.

Day 2 on this used track could be moving day ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 14 Jul 2019, 12:04 pm

40 to avoid the follow on😃

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:11 pm

Well bowled Mr Virdi

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:17 pm

8 wkts for virdi clap clap clap notworthy notworthy notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:17 pm

clap Virdi

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:17 pm

124 run lead

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:22 pm

patel out 1st ball Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 2:30 pm

hopefully there will be points deducted for notts for this awful wkt warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 4:07 pm

Borthwick has done a Solanki again picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

50 for smith clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 4:46 pm

awful from jacks mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 14 Jul 2019, 5:03 pm

We used 3 bowlers in their inns, they've so far only used 3 (all spin) in our 2nd inns, wonder if we'll only use 2 in the 4th inns! It's a bit different to the green tops Notts used to manufacture in the 80s for Hadlee and Rice!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 5:05 pm

lead goes past 250 clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 14 Jul 2019, 5:22 pm

I know this is Surrey, but 266 lead with 3 wickets remaining, surely that's enough jimbob?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 6:02 pm

308 lead at stumps excellent day Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Jul 2019, 6:02 pm

thegooch7 wrote:I know this is Surrey, but  266 lead with 3 wickets remaining, surely that's enough jimbob?!
never enough Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Jul 2019, 11:17 pm

Fantastic to see two youngsters in Virdi and Smith playing absolute pearlers with ball and bat respectively today. Especially pleased for Virdi, who has clearly had a rough season to date.

Jordan Clark playing a decent hand here too - this partnership with Batty has really put the game to bed as a contest in my eyes, will take a miracle for Notts to chase this down on this pitch.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Jul 2019, 11:34 am

Useful runs added by Clark this morning, going past his 50 before perishing to Ashwin a half hour into play. Excellent innings clap

Don't fancy Morne and Amar to last long!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Jul 2019, 11:50 am

Surrey declare, after a few lusty blows by Morkel...well lucky top edges off some short pitched stuff. Not a bad thing imo, plenty enough runs and last thing we want is Morkel/Virdi getting wrapped on their bowling hand

349 to win for Notts. Tough on a flat wicket, let alone this.

As Guildford always says, not often the biggest innings of the match comes in the 4th dig!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:28 pm

Tenfer Virds! Let's hope we can polish this off today

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:54 pm

Best start getting the bar prepped Corporal....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:06 pm

Umpires want to get into the bar, anything that's hitting the leg is being given Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

We deserve a bit of luck Olly! 74-7

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:29 pm

5 wkts for virdi again clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:22 pm

1 wkt away from the bar being opened Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:53 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS EXCELLENT WIN Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
WE ARE STAYING UP SAY WE ARE STAYING UP drumroll

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:54 pm

All done! 167 run win.....well played lads!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:58 pm

Corporal open the bar Very Happy Ale guinness cider RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 Jul 2019, 5:45 pm

Fantastic match return for Amar Virdi. clap clap Regardless of the state of the wicket, he still had to deliver a performance ... and he sure did.

As Olly mentioned earlier, clap to Jamie Smith also. Scoring a half-century on that track against Ravi Ashwin is not to be sneezed at.

I don't know how different things would have been if Notts had won the toss and batted first but I have no sympathy for them whatsoever and nor should anyone else have. Now, where is the Corporal these days and, more importantly, where is my free drink?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next