The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
James100
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the specsavers county championship game against Nottinghamshire.
South African international Dean Elgar has returned to the Surrey squad as overseas player for the rest of the year. Very Happy
Sam Curran has dropped out of the squad that faced Lancashire as he rejoins the England Test group ahead of Thursday’s fourth Test at the Ageas Bowl. Sad
Olly Pope is also away with England Sad
Jade Dernbach misses out due to a groin injury picked up in that Lancashire victory. Jason Roy and Scott Borthwick will also sit out with a facial injury and broken wrist respectively. Sad Sad
Connor McKerr returns to the squad after injury.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Gareth Batty
Rikki Clarke
Tom Curran
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Will Jacks
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
At a guess Batty, Jacks and McKerr to miss out
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Burns
Stoneman
Harinath
Elgar
Foakes
Jacks
Patel
Clarke
Curran T
Morkel
Virdi

For me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Olly's side looks right, though the decision on Meaker/Batty/Jacks could be kept until the morning to see what the pitch is like.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Batty, Harinath and Meaker miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 pm

So a little quirk here - if Pope or Curran are released from test duty, they can come in for Jacks (Pope) or McKerr (Curran).

Didn't know you could do that...but helps us if so!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Uncontested toss Surrey to bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Elgar has just been given out to one of the worst LBW decision I have frankly ever seen - clearly going down leg, Notts half appealed, umpire waited for a good 5/6 seconds and then gave it out. That is abysmal umpiring
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:35 pm

1st batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Decent day for both sides - think Notts will be slightly more disappointed, having put Surrey in and having good bowling conditions to only have 6 wickets, but they have kept Surrey in touching distance and with Surrey's slightly longer than usual tail, they could still skittle them for under 300.

Great to see Stoneman back in the runs, hopefully he can make that run to get to 100 tomorrow! Also good to see Foakes and Jacks play fluently, albeit disappointing one of them didn't stick with Stoneman and push on themselves. Seems Pope will come in for Jacks second dig, which is a tad harsh on the youngster imo, but the rules do allow it.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 pm

256 - 6 at stumps after a somewhat curtailed day. Could have been a lot worse considering Surrey were 36 -3 early on. Great to see that Stoneman battled away all day, with useful support from Foakes and Jacks.

Does seem that Somerset in second place are on something of a roll now and after strong batting on the first day there's a fair chance that they will get a good haul of bonus points and a victory. The Yorks batting does seem pretty feeble. So Surrey really need to dig in for every bonus point they can get.

I see that Pope will bat for Surrey in the second innings in place of Jacks after he was released by England.

Looking at the Elgar LBW on the highlights package I don't know that I would go so far as to call it a shocker - but it did look marginal as to whether it was drifting down leg side.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Fortunately able to go to the Oval tomorrow...must make sure I allow time for the Odd Southern Rail cancellation, so that I get to the ground in time to see Stoneman’s 100!A great effort by him after a difficult season...and much needed by Surrey today...

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Curran goes for a well made 43 - good partnership with Stoneman (who is on 121*), score is 309/7 - Surrey have made good progress this morning, can we reach 350 and that next batting point?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Pity Stoneman wasn't in this kind of form early season...he might have held his Test spot.
For all his flaws he looked a better player than Jennings.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:12 pm

375 all out - some useful runs from McKerr, and a new highest first class score for Virdi (19!). Excellent recovery from 30-3 yesterday, and we've matched Somerset's batting points too.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Magnificent bowling performance - Notts all out for 101, 5 wickets on his return for TC, 3 wickets for McKerr and a couple for Morkel - Virdi didn't have to bowl a ball!

Would be shocked if we don't stick them back in, still trailing by 274 runs and 40 odd overs left in the day. Hopefully we can get them a couple down by close
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:42 pm

we sure did olly Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am

Great performance by the lads yesterday...worth my trip up to the big smoke...McKerr was excellent...Curran was brilliant...the pitch seemed far from unplayable given the excellent batting by the tail including McKerr and Verdi. I was left with the conclusion that it was a combination of superb bowling and very poor/woeful batting from Notts in the first innings. We were sitting with a Notts fan who quite correctly predicted a poor batting performance given their alarming recent decline. One very very minor gripe...Verdi was not brought on sooner to bowl in the second innings...I did enjoy his wicket celebration...All in all, a very enjoyable day!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Great start for Surrey in the first 50 minutes, three wickets gone already with Morkel picking up two and McKerr getting one. Notts five down, trail by 163 and Surrey look set for another innings victory
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Just seen the run out on the live stream....oh dear...utterly embarrassing . I dread to think what the Notts fan we sat next to yesterday will have made of that...not printable I suspect!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm

corporal open the bar Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Ale mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
jimbobgooner wrote:corporal open the bar Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Ale mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

Bad news I am afraid...the Corporal is away on important family business so in his absence I declare the bar open! Ale Ale Ale Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Yahoo Laugh Erm Yahoo Yahoo

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Just back from hols and now heading off to join Chichester and JimBob at the bar! Very Happy

Ruthless performance with the ball and great to have Stoneman back in the runs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:40 pm

welcome back Guildford Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi GB, hope you had a great holiday...the Corporal and I managed a day at the Lancs v Surrey match (Day1)...Surrey did not have the best of it and struggled that day..and were reliant on a 50run partnership between Morkel and Dernbach!! However we sneaked home by 6 runs...and then a friend and I managed a day yesterday at the Surrey v Moots match and saw McKerr and Verdi put on a 20plus run 10th wicket partnership that included a 6 from Verdi and his highest fist class score....Did someone say we had a problem with our tail end batting? All in all some great performances by Surrey, yet with Somerset doing equally well.. we are set for the Taunton showdown!! BTW, we were very I,pressed with McKerr’s bowling and delighted for Stoneman too...some great slip catches....all in all a near perfect performance!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 pm

Sorry, blasted auto correct...meant Notts..not Moots Yahoo Yahoo

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks, guys. I've seen McKerr once or twice. Raw but had pace - possibility of being expensive and / or taking wickets. I hope he can go on from his success here and learn from Morkel.

Chichester is absolutely right to highlight our catching. That's been very good and important this season. Clarke is an excellent slipper whilst Jacks and Patel have appeared as sub fielders to take vital catches.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey guildford ...you may perhaps remember I was of the view that McKerr might have a future when I watched him at the Oval back in May ?
To be honest I feared he'd struggle to get much game time with all the pace options in the Surrey kitbag ; so I'm pleased to see he's come in with a strong contribution on getting a chance.

Agree he could certainly learn from Morkel : judging by these figures perhaps he already has ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Hey Alfie - I do remember that now and should have given you credit for the astute view in my last post. OK

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 am

Sorry I was not around to open up the bar - but glad to see that Chichester took the initiative in my absence! Wink

All in all that was another cracking performance - to win by an innings when we had the worst of the batting conditions on day 1. It's been great just how many different Surrey players this season have delivered decisive contributions when most needed.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down