The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Cheetahs

+7
bsando
George Carlin
TJ
BigGee
EWT Spoons
EST
RDW
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Edinburgh V Cheetahs Empty Edinburgh V Cheetahs

Post by RDW Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:10 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has made four changes ahead of tomorrow night’s Guinness PRO14 clash with Toyota Cheetahs at BT Murrayfield (Friday 5 October, kick-off 7.35pm).

As Edinburgh look to secure their fifth consecutive home victory in all competitions, three players are rotated into the backline. James Johnstone and Juan Pablo Socino are named in the midfield, while winger Darcy Graham makes his first start since featuring against Leinster in February.

Cockerill makes just one change to the pack as Rory Sutherland makes his first start of the season at loosehead prop.

On his selection, Cockerill, said: “We’ve named a strong, combative side who'll be looking to make amends following last weekend’s disappointing performance against Benetton.

“Whilst we were happy with the result and certain aspects of our play, the squad know that there is plenty to improve on if we’re going to challenge in the league.

“Cheetahs are a physical, abrasive outfit with quick backs out wide that’ll punish you throughout the 80 minutes. However, we’ve got plenty of belief, especially at home, and I’ve got every confidence that this group of players can bounce back tomorrow night.”

After crossing the whitewash against Benetton a week ago, Blair Kinghorn is named at fullback, with Duhan van der Merwe – a try-scorer in his last four appearances at BT Murrayfield – and Graham selected on the flanks.

Johnstone and summer recruit Socino get the nod in midfield, while Henry Pyrgos and Kiwi stand-off Simon Hickey continue at half-back.

Up-front, hooker Stuart McInally skippers the side and packs down alongside WP Nel and Sutherland.

Experienced locks Grant Gilchrist and Ben Toolis are named in the boiler room, while Magnus Bradbury, Hamish Watson and Fijian international Bill Mata complete the back-row.

Edinburgh team to face Cheetahs at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14 on Friday 5 October, kick-off 7.35pm – live on Free Sports.

15. Blair Kinghorn (68)

14. Darcy Graham (6)

13. James Johnstone (22)

12. Juan Pablo Socino (3)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (22)

10. Simon Hickey (4)

9. Henry Pyrgos (4)

1. Rory Sutherland (64)

2. Stuart McInally (124) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (119)

4. Ben Toolis (93)

5. Grant Gilchrist (124)

6. Magnus Bradbury (56)

7. Hamish Watson (85)

8. Bill Mata (40)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (182); 17. Murray McCallum (42); 18. Simon Berghan (52); 19. Luke Hamilton (4); 20. Jamie Ritchie (53); 21. Sean Kennedy (63); 22. Jaco van der Walt (20); 23. Chris Dean (68).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Cheetahs Empty Re: Edinburgh V Cheetahs

Post by RDW Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:13 pm

Bit of a random team selection - looks like he's saving some players for europe. Surprised to see Toolis play again as he's now exceeded the number of games in a row, and surely Marfo and Dell must be injured for McCallum to be covering loosehead! no 2nd row subs on the bench too.

We should have enough to win the game, but that back-line doesn't inspire me. Big test for Graham against some big fast wingers.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

A pretty odd selection, he obviously doesn't trust CHH - unless he is injured. I'm also surprised to see Bradbury and Mata line up again, I don't think the balance really worked last weekend, with two big carriers - one of Hamilton, Ritchie or Crosbie at six would be better.

I'm glad Graham gets a start, but that backline starts to look a lot weaker as soon as you take out Scott.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 04 Oct 2018, 12:45 pm

You might be right around CHH, but I think it’s possibly just because Cockers trusts Mata to move to the 2nd row (if needed) which means we can bring other players onto the bench who maybe offer more around the park.

Of course if he picks up a knock then our 2nd rows will likely see out the full 80, and if one of them gets injured as well then we are in trouble.

My memory isn’t the best, but I’m pretty sure last season the BR of Bradbury, Watson & Mata was effective.  They weren’t great last weekend, but hopefully that was a blip, as there was a lot wrong last weekend.

I am a bit concerned about our centre combo though.  I don’t think Socino has stepped up yet, so this will be a big ask on him to start, I really hope he’s up to it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 04 Oct 2018, 1:50 pm

I'm going to assume we don't have a large Cheetah fan base on this forum?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 04 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

Certainly not a ringing endorsement of CHH - this was the prime opportunity to give him a run out before the AIs where he'll surely be involved.

Mata is wasted in the 2nd row, and can't imagine will be overly happy being there either! Toolis has played a lot of rugby lately and if he needs to put in another 80 minute shift he'll be knackered for the euro games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 04 Oct 2018, 1:59 pm

There is always the possibility CHH is injured.

Mata makes lots of small breaks with the ball, depending on how we play, he might actually be quite suited to moving into the 2nd row when the opposition begin to tire.  Obviously he's better at 8, but he's played in the 2nd row a few times for us now.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 04 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

Yeah, that must be Cockers plan - the inclusion of Richie and Hamilton will definitely add energy in the second half, but you are relying on Mata playing the full 80 if either Toolis or Gilchrist become injured, which is a lot to ask considering how he plays the game.

I think this could be a close game, certainly not gimmie

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 04 Oct 2018, 4:08 pm

Good to see D'Arcy Graham get the start, hope he gets some ball to show us what he can do. It may well be a loose game if the Cheetahs have their way, which could suit him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 04 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

Pack I have no issues with but the 3/4s scare me.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 04 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

I am placing a bet here that Gilcrest tops the penalty count with 3 one of which will lead to a cheeters try and one of which will either be yellow card or very lucky not to be.  He will also be anonymous on the feild.

feel free to quote me on this when he turns in an immaculate MOM performance  ;-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:12 am

Cockers wielding the axe after last week's performance - Scott, Dean and Fife were dropped this week not rested. He's also said McCallum on the wrong side of the scrum is a better option than Marfo currently.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/guinness-pro14/matt-scott-chris-dean-and-dougie-fife-left-out-by-edinburgh-1-4810075

I suspect there's some mind games in this as VDM's defence was much worse than any of the 3 that have been dropped!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:13 am

In his interview in the offside line. Cockers seems to be blaming Scott, Dean & Fife for the performance last weekend.  He also says Marfo isn't good enough.  I can't post the quote here as my work filter seems to have something against that site, but it's here if anyone wants to read it

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-trio-pay-price-for-benetton-bungles/

Also good news that Carmichael is back in training now, and should be back in contention shortly and McKenzie is out for 3 months, which is a lot better than expected given how bad it looked at the time.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:14 am

Well choice of reading there.  But I guess same chat

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:28 am

I'm looking forward to seeing Darcy Graham get a run out tonight, but I do wonder if that's just because of the hype rather than reality.  As when he's played for us before he's been ok,, nothing special, so from everything I have seen so far at 15s level I should be nonplussed, but I am still looking forward to it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:34 am

Seems a bit harsh tome but Edinburgh do need to toughen up and the defence was shoddy at time

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:52 am

Glad to hear Charmichael is back - we certainly need him and he'll be wanting to push on from last season. He offers a point of difference for us at lock - very athletic and skilful. Given that he was out for a long time with a head knock I hope he has recovered properly.

Graham is yet to show that his under 20s brilliance can replicated at pro level, although he's only played a handful of games. Hopefully a fairly open game against the Cheetahs (although not too open as that will suit them) will give him an opportunity to shine - he's another point of difference player from our big strong winger options. Saying that, Edinburgh aren't great at bringing their outside backs into the game so he might be living off scraps or counter attacks.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:56 am

I'm not sure this is the game for Graham to shine, Cheetahs are fairly fast a loose with the ball so to counter, I would imagine we'll see our forwards have a lot of the ball and our backs see very little.  As you say RDW he'll likely be living off scraps in this game.  Also if we revert back to how we played in the first few games JJ won't see much of the ball either.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

It is strange that he wants more defensive solidity and picks Socino - who hasn't been great since moving - and JJ who is perfectly solid in defence but not exactly a defensive general, plus a midget on the wing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Oct 2018, 9:27 am

Yeah, not sure I totally see the logic in his chat, especially as I don't think Scott & Dean did that much wrong, and Fife has struggled to see any ball this season as we don't pass it out to the wing.

Still in cockers we trust and all that

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 05 Oct 2018, 1:03 pm

It's quite a good attacking backline though, no?

What's wrong with it?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 05 Oct 2018, 1:09 pm

The Cheetahs defense is not very good so I think this is a good opportunity to attack whilst hopefully putting up an improved Edinburgh defensive effort. I caught the first half last weeks game and was shocked when I saw the end result later. Those sort of games really need to be buried now early in the season if Edinburgh want to make playoffs again.

I'm interested in cockers choice of Hickey over VDW, I thought he was great at 10 last year and a big part of what made Edinburgh's backline a bit more threatening. Pyrgos has good control but I just wonder if he has been a bit too controlling last few games. The ref's have been telling him hurry up a lot and I've felt the backs have been a bit slow to produce quick ball in the important moments. My overall feeling is this side is still trying to adjust to the new players that have been introduced and once they start to click Edinburgh might start to win more games.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 1:14 pm

George Carlin wrote:It's quite a good attacking backline though, no?

What's wrong with it?

Coached by Duncan Hodge.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 05 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

Scares me defensively.  Cheeters have a good attack.  should make for an entertaining high scoring game

I thought Hicky looked the real deal last week

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

This is looking a lot better so far, would be nice if we could start taking some of our chances though. Bradbury is coming back into form nicely, some huge carries so far

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm

I'm at a work do - detailed updates appreciated!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

Short range pick and go try from Toolis. Cheetahs lineout has been horrible so we’ve been able to build a platform off their mistakes. 13-0 now

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:02 pm

The Bradbury-Watson-Mata backrow is breathing fire right now, both in defence and carrying. Cheetahs are doing a great edinburgh impression though with the mistakes they’re making

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:03 pm

Also our wingers have had a really surprising amount of ball so far

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:07 pm

Sounds positive!  Just wait until the inevitable last 30 minute collapse...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:08 pm

Cheetahs win a scrum up in their own corner to relieve pressure after VDM knocked the ball on at the end of a good attack. It’s been 68% possession for edinburgh but still only 13-0

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:17 pm

Cheetahs scored a breakaway try while I got sidetracked with a work email, but Graham scores a try shortly after. Couple of minutes out from half time. Good play from Socino in the run up to that try

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:23 pm

That cheetahs winger is lightning quick and dangerous as anything.  Watched him in a few games and boy is he some player.
Ok from Edinburgh.  need to kill them off early in the second half

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:24 pm

20-7 at half time. Much better performance than last week, our defence has been so much more aggressive and organised. Probably should’ve opened up a bigger lead as the cheetahs have been largely pish.

Hickey, McInally and all of the back row have been standouts. Graham has looked promising and took his try well

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:36 pm

Cheetahs have come out like a different side and score an early try out wide against some pretty poor edinburgh defense

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:38 pm

Typically I've turned on for the second half, and Edinburgh have been terrible in every respect. Shall I switch off??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:40 pm

We’re falling apart, lineout and scrum both gone to pieces and Cheetahs having all the possession. Depressingly familiar pattern to other games this season where the 2nd half all goes wrong

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

Edinburgh now behind. Looks like a Cheetah win on the cards on the evidence so far!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Typically I've turned on for the second half, and Edinburgh have been terrible in every respect. Shall I switch off??

This explains why they just scored again! Go and watch the Glasgow game Smile

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:44 pm

Hamish Watson vs Cheetahs...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:48 pm

Hickey really is a quality player, looks so comfortable on the ball

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:49 pm

Sutherland looks dodgy in the scrum. I'd change that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm

Agreed on Hickey. Decent player at 10. Good hands and clever. Could use a bit more gas.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:52 pm

Passing in the backs not great there. Too many causing players to stop and reach behind them.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:54 pm

Was nice to see Pyrgos take the quick tap though!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:54 pm

Could be a pen try coming if they collapse another.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:55 pm

How on Earth did Edinburgh not score???

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:56 pm

Very good question!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:56 pm

Watson off. There goes our best player. Interesting call.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:57 pm

Bradbury and Mata have both been very good too, I’m guessing Cockers wants to keep them for their carrying

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next