The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Cheetahs

4 posters

Go down

Scarlets v Cheetahs  Empty Scarlets v Cheetahs

Post by No9 Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Surprised no one started a thread for this game, being a Pro14 QF game...

But without jinxing this, there’s only one side in it.

No9

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Cheetahs  Empty Re: Scarlets v Cheetahs

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 8:41 pm

The Cheetahs for all their running mentality they have terrible handling and decision making. I think every Scarlets try has been the direct result of a Cheetahs handling error

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat May 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Brendan wrote:The Cheetahs for all their running mentality they have terrible handling and decision making.  I think every Scarlets try has been the direct result of a Cheetahs handling error

That’s a bit unfair...Cheetahs handling mistakes been woeful, I accept that, but the Scarlets try’s have been a result of good worked plays by the Scarlets not through Cheetahs errors.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Scarlets are amazing and the trys have been great but each one is one or two phases after the cheetahs do something rubbish usually dropping the ball.

If they had better retention they would only be losing by 20 points

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Not disagreeing with you Brendan, but I read something recently that quite a high percentage of tries in the pro game come from turnovers. It’s the way most tries are scored, if memory serves. I’ll try to dig out the article.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 pm

It hasn't been turnover though it's been handling errors picked up

Again Scarlets have been great

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Brendan wrote:It hasn't been turnover though it's been handling errors picked up

That’s a turnover!

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 pm

That could be said about any game. A team will make an error, give the ball away and be punished. But if there is more than one phase AFTER the turnover, you can’t say the reason they scored is down to the turnover.

Scarlets showed how good they are and punished the Cheetahs. Just hope they can keep this form for the (fingers crossed) last 2 games.

Pity they didn’t take this game to the Aviva 2weeks ago, they could have given Leinster a game.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm

On this form, Scarlets a good bet to retain the title.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm

I think the Glasgow v Scarlets semi will be better of the two semis, think Glasgow will have to much as at home

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Brendan wrote:It hasn't been turnover though it's been handling errors picked up

That’s a turnover!

Sorry thought you meant turnovers at the ruck like Mr Bernie has been doing all season

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Brendan wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

That’s a turnover!

Sorry thought you meant turnovers at the ruck like Mr Bernie has been doing all season

Yeah, I think the article meant turnovers of possession in general. I think the gist of it was that defenses generally are so tight these days, and it’s a war of attrition rather than an open game, so most tries now come when there’s been a turnover and the defensive line has not been set and the defence is in disarray.

But Scarlets seem extra good at exploiting that (whereas my side struggles to score in a brothel!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat May 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Scarlets are able to switch from defence to attack in an instance and it is skill and trickery rather than punching a hole with brute force. Probably best in NH at the counter

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 pm

It will be interesting to see how they go next season. The players leaving the club were taken off early for a standing ovation, which was nice to see, but in Beirne, Scott Williams, John Barclay, et al. - that’s a lot of talent to lose. Big shoes to fill.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun May 06, 2018 1:55 pm

The Oracle wrote:It will be interesting to see how they go next season. The players leaving the club were taken off early for a standing ovation, which was nice to see, but in Beirne, Scott Williams, John Barclay, et al. - that’s a lot of talent to lose. Big shoes to fill.

The weird one was Clayton Blommetjies doing a kind of lap of honour after the game to introduce himself to the fans.

Personally it was the first time I’ve seen the Cheetahs playing in person, and one thing really stood out. Most of their plays off loose ball looked pretty structured as opposed to the chaotic loose ball stuff we are used to from the likes of Glasgow etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Scarlets will miss Beirne and Barclay for sure. It doesn't look like they're lining up a replacement for either of them, but they will have a more competitive squad on international weekends next season though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Scarlets will miss Beirne and Barclay for sure. It doesn't look like they're lining up a replacement for either of them, but they will have a more competitive squad on international weekends next season though.

Uzair Cassiem is the Number 8 to replace Barclay, Blade Thompson is the back five forward to replace Beirne.  So both have had ‘replacements’ signed.  Truth is regardless of who goes, you’ll never get a like-for-like replacement for them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am

Thing that has made me most pleased with Scarlets this year is they backed up last year had have held their own in Europe aswell

I think showing they are the real thing has cemented their position as top 4 in the league and top 8 in Europe (should be getting to quarters but need to back it up next year).

Glasgow haven't done the second part and really have underperformed in Europe (making Quarters once)

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down