The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jorge Linares vs Vasyl Lomachenko

+8
Baby faced assassin
TheSquaredCircle
The Beast
Herman Jaeger
milkyboy
melv500
Mr Bounce
Nathaniel Jacobs
12 posters

Go down

Jorge Linares vs Vasyl Lomachenko  Empty Jorge Linares vs Vasyl Lomachenko

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Jorge Linares will defend his WBA/Ring lightweight titles against WBO junior lightweight champion Lomachenko. May 12 at Maddison Square Gardens. Should be a great fight and only a week after GGG-Alvarez's rematch

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Jorge Linares vs Vasyl Lomachenko  Empty Re: Jorge Linares vs Vasyl Lomachenko

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Can't help but think that Linares is going to be well beaten here. Still, hopefully he'll receive a decent payout. Reckon on a late stoppage for Lomachenko.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 am

I like Linares, good solid fighter. A decent World Champion and seems a good guy out the ring. But sport is about levels and boxing is no different. At this stage of Linares career he’s a couple of levels below Lomo. Not knocking Linares but Lomo is extra special, can’t see this going much longer than 6 rounds.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am

Linares is top 10 P4P for me and easily the best fighter at lightweight. Linares has gotten better with age. He's become more durable and his foot speed/hand speed is sensational. Linares is a very difficult fight for Lomachenko

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Think most would rather see Mikey Garcia v lomo but this is a very respectable second choice. I’ve been a huge fan of linares’ for a decade, love watching him fight... a boxer who’s prepared to let his hands go and get in a scrap.

In reality though you look at Mitchell Crolla And Campbell and think he won well but had to work hard for them... would lomachenko?

Lomo will be firm favourite with good reason. i guess the question mark is the weight class, but Lomo was a lightweight as an amateur (appreciate not a direct comparison due to same day weigh-ins) but there won’t be much in it size wise.

linares can bang though and has the talent to land if lomo gets careless. Good match up.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 am

Would have preferred Lomachenko against Garcia can’t see Linares causing too many problems for the Ukrainian though he’s a good guy and I hope he proves me wrong

As for Stevenson, he’s got a real challenge coming up against Gvozdyk. Stevenson beats Jack he has to fight Gvozdyk within 90 days

Now we all know Stevenson won’t fight anyone he doesn’t know he can beat and Gvozdyk is someone he doesn’t know he can beat

So the question is how will he and Michel get out of fighting the Ukrainian looking forward to see how they scheme it

https://www.boxingscene.com/gvozdyk-unsure-wbc-make-stevenson-jack-winner-face-him--126258

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Great match up, Lomachenko not only outstanding but seems to want to challenge top flight competition IMO Linares being in that category.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Loma is apparently in talks with Luke Campbell. Is that being prepped for before or after a linares fight?

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 am

Don’t think Gvozdyk is up there with Bivol or Beterbiev on last night’s showing. Never seen him before is he normally better than that?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:27 pm

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Loma is apparently in talks with Luke Campbell. Is that being prepped for before or after a linares fight?
Total mismatch. Campbell is about European level

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Really hoping jack beats Stevenson, as he seems to have the balls to fight live opposition. Stevenson aside from Dawson only fights stiffs

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Jack can fck my wife in my bed if he beats that pimp

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Trouble is with Stevenson, total ducker that he is, he does have that complete nuclear arsenal of brutal KO power. Jack is talented but has been down before. Personally I would love him to beat the vile excuse of a human being that is Stevenson. Hope that he doesn't get to Jack and force a hometown stoppage...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
TheSquaredCircle wrote:Loma is apparently in talks with Luke Campbell. Is that being prepped for before or after a linares fight?

Linares top 10 p4p and a threat to lomo. Campbell European level? They had quite a close fight considering.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

Linares top 10 p4p and a threat to lomo. Campbell European level? They had quite a close fight considering.

I thought Linares won a close fight yes, but I didn't see any situation where Campbell won the bout. Linares also put Campbell on his backside, Lomachenko probably does likewise

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

I thought Linares won a close fight yes, but I didn't see any situation where Campbell won the bout. Linares also put Campbell on his backside, Lomachenko probably does likewise

I don't think anyone is debating Campbell beating Lomo but to say he is Euro Level is a bit harsh. Euro Levels fighters dont push p4p top 10 fighters to close decisons. Campbell lost but put in a good performance. He will come again and showed he is a world level fighter. No he is not elite but seems anyone who isn't at that level just gets completely swept aside these days.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Echo that. Put in a good performance and showed that he is above Euro but not quite elite world level. I would say he is fringe world level and can probably pick up a strap if guided correctly. Times not massively on his side though.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Campbell’s a tall southpaw with long reach and fast hands... he caused linares distance problems, and it makes him a potentially awkward customer for a lot of fighters.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Love this fight

Garcia might be better than Linares but stylistically I think he provides more problems for Lomo

Linares is a very good boxer, but also has great hand and footspeed so it'll be harder for lomo to dodge purely with his reactions he may get caught....plus Linares is a natural lightweight who can bang

Great matchup but one you'd expect Lomo to win to set up Garcia
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am

Cracking fight last night. Vasyl Lomachenko became the new WBA lightweight champion. He made boxing history by stopping Jorge Linares to claim a world title in a third weight division in just his 12th professional fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 am

Lomachenko no Whittaker is he

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun May 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Cracking fight and nope he isnt....but then he has never claimed to be nor has any of his fans as far as I know.

Think its easy to detract from his performance last night as he did get caught far more than usual, that being said he sat in the mid range and pocket far more than normal. Thats what I love about watching him....would be easy for him to just play it safe and counter but he takes chances and enjoys the offensive side of things.

Credit to Linares who showed why he is regarded as a world class fighter.

I didnt have it as close as the judges (one had it even and another had Linares one up.... Headscratch ) but Linares certainly had his moments and was in the fight till the end.

Where Lomachenko goes is anyones guess, I dont like Arums attitude to the Garcia fight, whilst thats the obvious fight it doesnt look like its happening. Talk is Pacman is up next...definitely not a fight I want to see and I think 135 is where Lomas weight chase ends (Linares was around 18lbs heaver on the night) Gervonta Davis would be a superb fight so hopefully thats the one that comes next.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Some of his fans already calling him p4p number one bit premature this when he’s yet to fight his standout rival

Shame Bob won’t let the Garcia fight happen

135 Lomachenko’s max doesn’t want to fight any higher I think everyone’s agreed on that

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun May 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Garcia should sign with Hearn who’s going to do a lot better job than Haymon

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun May 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Lomachenko what a fantastic talent and for me he takes Mikey Garcia to school. A lot being made of Lomachenko taking a lot of shots from Linares but that was because Lomachenko was happy to stand and trade. Lomachenko boxes Garcia's ears off. There's a bizarre media hype around Garcia based to his cherry picked titles.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun May 13, 2018 6:45 pm

No way Bob let’s his cash cow anywhere near Garcia Mikey knows how to time him he’s a considerably better fighter than Linares

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Garcia's whole career has been about the path of least resistance. Lomachenko would win every minute of every round. Don't get the hype about the cherry picker Garcia

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Nice trolling Nathaniel

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 am

Lomachenko was outstanding at the weekend. What an absolute star he is. In with a fighter who was bigger, rangier, skilful, experienced, in form (and covered in acne, hmmm) he controlled the majority of the fight with some beautiful boxing (even shrugging off the knockdown impressively).

He's the best fighter in the world. Garcia may prove too big for him down the line but I can't see anyone getting close to him at 130 for the foreseeable (though I'd love to see him face Tank Davis).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 am

Garcia was 138 for Lipinets wasn’t he, he’s a true lightweight if ever there was one, not sure there’ll be anything between them weight wise were they to fight but of course we all know Bob won’t fight Mikey only pays lip service to Lomachenko being the best lightweight in the world

The one fighter everyone wants to see Lomachenko fight Bob won’t fight still showing nothing’s changed Bob always does what’s right for himself before boxing. They’ll probably do a Linares rematch to delay a Garcia fight who the hell wants to see returns of largely one sided fights anyway?

He’s a very good fighter but the Loma hyperbole is undeserved till he fights his main rival Garcia has repeatedly asked for that fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Garcia was 138 for Lipinets wasn’t he, he’s a true lightweight if ever there was one, not sure there’ll be anything between them weight wise were they to fight but of course we all know Bob won’t fight Mikey only pays lip service to Lomachenko being the best lightweight in the world

The one fighter everyone wants to see Lomachenko fight Bob won’t fight still showing nothing’s changed Bob always does what’s right for himself before boxing. They’ll probably do a Linares rematch to delay a Garcia fight who the hell wants to see returns of largely one sided fights anyway?

He’s a very good fighter but the Loma hyperbole is undeserved till he fights his main rival Garcia has repeatedly asked for that fight

Loma is a natural feather - Garcia a lightweight. Garcia will likely prove too big - just as Crawford would be too big for Garcia and Spence for Crawford (and so on).

Lomachenko is really pushing it at 135 - he's willing to give up size and reach to make the best fights. I'm sure they'll make the Garcia fight in due course - this won't be another May-Pac fiasco.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Arum’s pushing Lomachenko as the best lightweight in the world so fans are entitled to call him out with the Garcia fight

Wish I shared your optimism though on it getting made

Arum happy to use Garcia’s name to sell the Linares fight then post-fight suddenly big attitude problem from Arum regarding Mikey, no attitude from the Garcia side

When Arum doesn’t want a fight he creates a song and dance out of nothing

Mikey hasn’t come to the table yet but already Arum’s giving him ultimatums

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm

owen10ozzy wrote: ... Think its easy to detract from his performance last night as he did get caught far more than usual, that being said he sat in the mid range and pocket far more than normal. Thats what I love about watching him....would be easy for him to just play it safe and counter but he takes chances and enjoys the offensive side of things. ...

Linares had a massive advantage in reach over Lomachenko, 69 inches to 65.5 inches, so a 3.5 inches advantage. That's why it was better in this case for Lomachenko to occupy the mid-range, so that he could get at Linares while taking away the reach advantage. At longer range I think Linares was dangerous (able to get power on his punches) and it was while Lomachenko was moving in from "long range" towards Linares that he got stunned by a punch from Linares. This looked like a difficult match up for Lomachenko against a heavier opponent, with a significant reach advantage and a world champion.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 am

As far as fighting against TOP tier opposition, think 135 is probably his limit, maybe 140 just because it isn't very deep

Linares is a top class operator, and was a good bit bigger than Loma which is no surprise why he struggled more than usual

He was well winning though, regardless of what the judges thought, and showed his class against a guy over 15lbs heavier than him

Him and Mikey is THE fight to make imo
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Was a good fight. Lomachenko is a great talent. Imo he is definitely the best fighter out there and one of the best in recent years.

He is a joy to watch.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Be a great move for Mikey to sign with Eddy, Eddy could make him a global star:

https://youtu.be/9uOQN_Dyi48

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am

Don’t think Eddy has anything to worry about from these two:

https://youtu.be/H-sx_TMbquM

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 22, 2018 12:44 am

https://youtu.be/fs2L8Igt4fs

Mancini picks Garcia to beat Lomachenko and Joshua to beat Wilder, I think I would agree with him Joshua batters Wilder

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down