The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st

+10
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
Hammersmith harrier
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
lfc91
hazharrison
bellchees
Strongback
14 posters

Go down

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st  Empty Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st

Post by Strongback Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:26 am

Two-time Olympic Gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko has announced on his website (www.lomachenko.com) that his title fight with WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido will now take place in March. “I just got a call from Top Rank and they stated that the fight will be on March 1 on the undercard of Chavez-Vera, either in Texas or in Los Angeles.”

Very tough fight for Lomachenko to take. Salido will keep coming.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st  Empty Re: Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st

Post by bellchees Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:35 am

This is a much better fight than Chavez vs Vera, why is it the undercard fight? Also has Chavez decided what weight this fight is at yet?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st  Empty Re: Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido on March 1st

Post by hazharrison Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 am

I'd be interested to see the betting lines on this one -- Salido should start favourite for me.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 am

On the one hand its an insanely risky move for a 2nd pro fight...but on the other hand lomachenko is one of the best amatures there has ever been so if anyone can do it i suppose its him. Will be tuned in for this regardless!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 am

Lomachenko has had ONE fight as a pro and is going straight in against Salido?! Am i missing something here?

Orlando is certainly no mug, strong chinned and relentless.......

Errrrrr Salido EKO? Or is Lomachenkos amateur pedigree going to pull him through?!

Surely this will be history making if he wins a strap THAT quick?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 am

It would be an amazing achievement and one I'm sure he can pull off, but perhaps it's just a bit too much too soon

Salido didn't look great against mickey but he is still a battle hardened veteran and a genuine world class fighter

Is Lomachenko as good as we think or will he just be worn down but the tested Salido

Winnable but very very dangerous

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Lomachenko has had ONE fight as a pro and is going straight in against Salido?! Am i missing something here?

Orlando is certainly no mug, strong chinned and relentless.......

Errrrrr Salido EKO? Or is Lomachenkos amateur pedigree going to pull him through?!

Surely this will be history making if he wins a strap THAT quick?
Think it will be history as nobody has ever won it in their first fight.

Fenech did it in his 7th, Spinks was 1 quicker I think. And there's at least one Asian fighter that did it quicker, 4th or 5th fight I believe, but 2nd fight is ridiculous.

Lomachenko is a phenomenal talent though. Truly sensational. 1 loss in 400 fights, a loss he avenged when taking the first of his two World golds along with double Olympic golds. He then pro debuts and ko's in 4 a guy with a 25-3 record.

Salido is a big step-up but I think he can do it.

The most amazing thing is he's done all this age 25 and it's not like his a Fenech style brawler that'll burn out. He could easily have 5 good years as a pro, if not more.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Muangsurin won it in his third fight while Sahaprom won it in his fourth possibly third fight as well.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeh, so a couple of dodgy Asian fighters basically. Nobody credible.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Sahaprom not credible Toppy?

He was one of the best bantamweights in the world for over 10 years, anyone who goes four fights against Nishioka must be pretty good. Muangsurin on the other hand was a muay thai fighter and as is common with Thai fighters of that particular background he was fast tracked. Neither of them are dodgy asian fighters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Only had a cursory glance at their records and the comment was probably more in reference to the first guy really.  That said, Sahaprom lost it as quick as he won it, so no I don't think that's that amazing. Won it in a split decision then got splattered in his next fight in the 2nd round.

Next won a world title in his 21st fight.  So whilst he main have been a top level fighter, his career really just followed a standard well trodden path and was not exceptional.  His early title was anomalous and unrepresentative.  

Also put little stock on these guys that amass cracking records by never leaving Thailand (or other similar Asian country).  Nishioka is the only name I recognise on his CV and he drew twice with him after picking up a win first time round. Now't remarkable there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 pm

The oriental boxing scene is like a separate world, they only acknowledge the WBA and WBC, muay thai fighters are fast tracked in title shots, dodgy decisions and very much in house. That said Sahaprom was a credible world champion who went on to prove it was no fluke.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 pm

The problem with saying 'went on to prove it was no fluke' is that equally I could say the fact he only nicked an SD and was wiped out in 2 in his very next fight evidences to the contrary.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 pm

To be honest Toppy I haven't seen either fight so can't really pass judgement.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 am

Salido is as tough as they come.

In recent years he's only lost to Gamboa and Mikey Garcia.

If Salido lands his big left hook to the body, Lomenchenko will be in a world of trouble.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 am

Think Vasyl will cut him down........Very impressed with his last fight........Solid punching and lots of angles......

Sure Salido is tough but quality counterpunching breaks hearts.......

Honey was going to ram his fist down Starling's throat only to pat him on the back and say thanks for the schooling from the 4th round onwards........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think Vasyl will cut him down........Very impressed with his last fight........Solid punching and lots of angles......

Honey was going to ram his fist down Starling's throat only to pat him on the back and say thanks for the schooling from the 4th round onwards........
Is lomachenko better than Rigondeaux?

Rigondeaux in his 7th or 8th fight, stepped up a level in opposition and nearly came unstuck.

Salido is a top class fighter.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

I think he is very special.........That was a quality opponent he fought first up and he schooled him.....

His work is so polished.........Like I said being hit by solid counters is soul destroying and Salido can be hit as we know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think Vasyl will cut him down........Very impressed with his last fight........Solid punching and lots of angles......

You always repeat that stuff about the Starling-Honeyghan fight, Truss, but it just ain't true.

It was actually the third round that he started schooling Lloyd, got it!?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 am

Seen it plenty of times he rocked him in the first 20 seconds.........Just because Honey threw lame punches early and outworked Starling with crap means didddly..

Never did Honey look like winning........Looked like an amateur though........

seen that fight more than you Sonny.........Stick to watching turds from the 30s no one is interested in....and being a so-called connoisseur....

I'll stick to my love of Boxing from the 80s to the present...

Something you aren't an expert on...........but I am..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:20 am

Loma is a class act but I thought he could sit down on his punches more in his last. Still a bit of the amateur style about him. He also does a footwork thing to turn his opponent but it looks to be something of a bad habit he does without thinking that could be exploited.

He's not the finished article as far as the pro game goes in my view and Salido is a tough SOB. It's a massive step up for me..

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 am

For you it is...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 am

I thought it was pretty clear that my post showed that I agree with you in regards to how badly outclassed Honeyghan was on the night, Truss, as I actually pointed out that it started to become a rout even earlier than you suggested above.....Guess I was wrong!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:For you it is...........

It's all opinion.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 am

88Chris05 wrote:I thought it was pretty clear that my post showed that I agree with you in regards to how badly outclassed Honeyghan was on the night, Truss, as I actually pointed out that it started to become a rout even earlier than you suggested above.....Guess I was wrong!
I was having a laugh. Chris............You point out that it wasn't a shutout on the cards and are right to.........Starling was almost Nelson-esque in the way he made Honey work his butt off early...........Most surprising was the way Honey's punches which looked solid against Curry and others lacked fizz........

His performance was awful..............Culminating in him repeatedly embarrassing himself by tapping Starling on the back.......His so called arch enemy...

Of course Honey only ever talks about how he schooled the great Don curry..........But fails to add that the two guys that completely trashed him both didn't rate his win..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 am

Ah right, will put it all down to tiredness on my part beefster.

I think Starling-Honeyghan must hold the record for the amount of times a fighter has had his gum shield knocked clean out of his mouth! Seemed to be happening to Honeyghan in every round from about the fifth onwards.

To be honest, you are right in saying that Starling only conceded the first couple of rounds due to the fact that he was basically just sizing Honeyghan up, and Lloyd's performance was poor. As you'll know, Duff was yelling at him between every round to smarten up and stop being so gung-ho.......Unfortunately for Honeyghan, he tried to box going away later on in the fight, and Marlon still managed to adapt to the role of aggressor and beat the snot out of him!

There's no way Honeyghan would have been so comprehensively outclassed and humiliated had he remembered the style and skills which made him a world champion in the first place, BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT (before you go mad!), Starling in that kind of form would almost certainly have always beaten Lloyd in any case.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41 am

We all bow down to truss on honey starling, he's watched it more than any of us... Sat there choking the chicken.

Honey was dreadful that night, he'd started believing his own hype and thought he could swing away and knock anyone out... paid the price badly.

Always preferred the starling molinares fight myself Whistle 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 am

All started to go wrong for Honey around the time he was fed stiffs like Vaca and Hatcher.......Like the great Don he thought he could bomb everybody out.....

Starling was a week away from fighting him in 87 when the Blocker fight nearly fell through..that would have been interesting.......

Marlon did fight better against top fighters..........schooled Simon brown as well......Beat an unbeaten Breland.......

His style is a nightmare for an in and out Honey.......who gets caught by tail end punches....

Honey was a top fighter..But fact is it's only you guys and him who thought he beat a top draw Curry........

Starling flippantly said "I told you he got lucky against curry" after the win which I thought was rather sad for Honey as most fighters big up their victories.......

For me he's a classless turd..........and though I hate seeing him getting battered off Mark as he is a pitiful wreck.........Must say I love the slow, painful schooling off Marlon........and It was a schooling.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 am

milkyboy wrote:

We all bow down to truss on honey starling, he's watched it more than any of us... Sat there choking the chicken.

Honey was dreadful that night, he'd started believing his own hype and thought he could swing away and knock anyone out... paid the price badly.

Always preferred the starling molinares fight myself Whistle 

Want to be careful Milky.......All this snidey stuff from you lately could culminate in us reconstructing the War of independence in a car park of your choice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 am

War of independence... was that the English civil war fought in a colony? I don't do fighting truss, bit juvenile, and as I'd be giving away a few pounds, lets just enact the Boston tea party instead. I'll bring the cucumber sandwiches and the Victoria sponge.

Don't think honey was popular with many people truss. Agree with your earlier appraisal. I was a big curry fan, so as a Brit it was bitter sweet win for me. Shame  honey never really fought like that again. Had he done so, an earlier starling fight would have been much more competitive, but styles make fights and starling may as you say always have had his number.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Id probably stick a few quid on Salido in this. I think he will win. He will probably be underpriced with all the fanfare around Lomchenko in any case.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

If Vasily does win It will probably show what I've always believed..That beating twenty non-entities is irrelevant........because you learn Jack.......

and that If you have the talent why not go for it earlier..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 pm

lomachenko by points or late stoppage! think he will turn out something special

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down