The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title

+4
Herman Jaeger
No name Bertie
Nathaniel Jacobs
Mr Bounce
8 posters

Go down

Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title Empty Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

Nearly 3lbs over the featherweight limit. Absolutely shocking. These guys are professional sportsmen with highly paid nutritionalists, healthcare professionals and all sorts of fitness advisors at their disposal. So , when you have to CONTRACTUALLY make weight in order to continue your career at the top level, you can't do it?

Something is very wrong here. About 1/2lb you can understand as a minor oversight. 3lbs? Oh dear. That points to a training issue, or a breakdown in communication between his team and him, or just plain arrogance. Where's the discipline? I used to have time for Quigg - not so much now...

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title Empty Re: Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

What an embarrassing situation for Quigg. Considering he's never won a legitimate world title, this was probably last chance saloon for him.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title Empty Re: Quigg Heavy, Cannot Win WBO Feather Title

Post by No name Bertie Sat 10 Mar 2018, 3:08 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Nearly 3lbs over the featherweight limit ... Something is very wrong here ...
Entirely agree, either a complete lack of professionalism by Quigg and his team (unlikely), or it is hiding something else - covering up a downtime in training due to illness or injury or a breakdown in the relationship of him & his team or some other important relationship.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

Would like to have seen a Crawford/Lipinets fight with a referee who would’nt protect Crawford guess who the ref was against Postol I think that would have been a very good examination for Crawford probably his hardest fight to date shame he didn’t stick around at 140 for at least another couple of fights

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 6:58 pm

Scott Quigg put up a great fight as always make the weight because he broke a metatarsal in training

Wait for the whole story people

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 8:36 pm

Kell Brook against Jermell Charlo becoming the buzz fight at 154

Anyone else like the sound of that fight, I know I do

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sun 11 Mar 2018, 8:55 pm

Jermell Charlo arguably the man at 154.

I don’t like the fight. Rabchenko been around for a while and in some tough fights. Not sure if that win means that kell would be just as competitive against charlo. Not sure how much Kell actually has left but I know that fighting charlo could be a likely career ender. Being a brook fan I would like to see some fringe world level and khan fight.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:14 pm

Kell finished if he loses to Charlo back in the big time if he beats him

That’s why I love it

The Khan fight does nothing for me unless Khan gets a big win under his belt first

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:28 pm

I don’t believe for a second Kell is mentioning all the big names with no intention of fighting them closing out his career with a couple more nothing fights then Khan

I believe he wants to test himself to the max

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:44 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Scott Quigg put up a great fight as always(, he did not) make the weight because he broke a metatarsal in training

Okay that makes sense.  So his training was curtailed through injury, so he didn't have the time to burn off / or keep down his weight while maintaining a healthy diet.  Presumably there is some gruelling regime near the end of the training period to get right down to the weight needed to make weight at the time of the weigh in.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:51 pm

Not sounding promising though is it sounds like Kell doesn’t think he’s a big enough name:

https://www.boxingscene.com/kell-brook-jermell-charlo-not-top-dog-lion-154-i--126124

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:52 pm

No name Bertie wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Scott Quigg put up a great fight as always(, he did not) make the weight because he broke a metatarsal in training

Okay that makes sense.  So his training was curtailed through injury, so he didn't have the time to burn off / or keep down his weight while maintaining a healthy diet.  Presumably there is some gruelling regime near the end of the training period to get right down to the weight needed to make weight at the time of the weigh in.

Can you expand a bit on that mate, I don’t get your point

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

There was a reason why Quigg/Hearn rolled the dice against Valdez, the Mexican slugger is questionable in the chin area. But once again Quigg's so called power did nothing. He stunned Valdez a couple of times by no more.

Quigg is very limited. Relies on stamina but against anyone whom can box he literally has no hope of winning. Salinas, second rate Cuban, Quigg was mesmerised by his jab. Frampton beat Quigg with plenty to spare. Valdez won easily.

Quigg is no more than a gatekeeper.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Jermell Charlo arguably the man at 154.

I don’t like the fight. Rabchenko been around for a while and in some tough fights. Not sure if that win means that kell would be just as competitive against charlo. Not sure how much Kell actually has left but I know that fighting charlo could be a likely career ender. Being a brook fan I would like to see some fringe world level and khan fight.
Lara is the boss at 154.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm

Brook against Charlo is the fun fight though

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:05 pm

Can only see Brook taking the Charlo fight if Hearn has confirmed he'll her Khan after whatever the outcome. I don't see Brook getting near Charlo. There's levels in boxing. Brook isn't elite

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:06 pm

Love to see Valdez in with either Frampton or Santa Cruz

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:11 pm

This is Kell’s chance to prove he’s elite

At 147 he could use the weight excuse

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:

Okay that makes sense. So his training was curtailed through injury, so he didn't have the time to burn off / or keep down his weight while maintaining a healthy diet. Presumably there is some gruelling regime near the end of the training period to get right down to the weight needed to make weight at the time of the weigh in.

Can you expand a bit on that mate, I don’t get your point

Okay sorry - I must have misinterpreted your point - what did you mean by:

Herman Jaeger wrote:Scott Quigg put up a great fight as always make the weight because he broke a metatarsal in training ...
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:34 pm

Forget it mate

But seriously it can’t be that easy to train on a fracture in the foot and you need to train to get the last few pounds off good diet on its own ain’t cutting it

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:08 am

Can’t be that easy but hey if you’re record, reputation and career aspirations are on the line, the post pone it so that you can truly say you have it your best shot.
I’m sure quigg carried on to please fans and felt this was potentially an only chance (and being in the states) but tarred his rep a little coming in overweight. If you have an injury then post pone. Yes fans will be gutted but they want wins not excuses in the long term.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:40 am

But they’d already bought their plane tickets?

And I’d slightly dispute the bit about tarring his rep everywhere I’ve looked he’s come out of it with respect (fortunately)

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

Quigg trades on being a strong durable lad with a good chin and decent punch..

Anyone with ring smarts that can stop him swarming will be a problem..

If he wants to win another title he needs to look for a guy who will have a fight with him but is less polished than our friend the other night..

I am sure they will find someone eventually....It is why Boxing is dying..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 9:23 am

It’s booming mate, fourth most popular sport in the world

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 9:30 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Can only see Brook taking the Charlo fight if Hearn has confirmed he'll her Khan after whatever the outcome. I don't see Brook getting near Charlo. There's levels in boxing. Brook isn't elite

If Lara beats Hurd do you think Kell will fight Lara?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 10:06 am

I don’t really care about the Lara fight to be honest, it’s the Charlo fight I want to see that’s the fan-friendly fight and the chemistry between those two will generate some real excitement

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 12 Mar 2018, 10:40 am

potential of exacerbating the foot fracture, poor preparation, risk of being seen as unprofessional and loosing some fan base. He is a good kid that probably wears his heart on his sleeve but the fans are not going to take the punches or build his CV...he is. If your camp has been torrid marred with a fracture and desperation in losing weight then you will not win and in fact expose yourself to serious health concerns. He has heart but probably should have considered postponing especially with a preceding foot fracture.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Mar 2018, 11:30 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:It’s booming mate, fourth most popular sport in the world

Casual sports fans could name more than three boxers a few years ago......mate

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 11:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:It’s booming mate, fourth most popular sport in the world

Casual sports fans could name more than three boxers a few years ago......mate

Boxing isn’t dying don’t be so pessimistic, you couldn’t be further from the truth on this one. There may be other factors why casual sports fans can’t name many fighters and nothing to do with popularity

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

TheSquaredCircle wrote:potential of exacerbating the foot fracture, poor preparation, risk of being seen as unprofessional and loosing some fan base. He is a good kid that probably wears his heart on his sleeve but the fans are not going to take the punches or build his CV...he is. If your camp has been torrid marred with a fracture and desperation in losing weight then you will not win and in fact expose yourself to serious health concerns. He has heart but probably should have considered postponing especially with a preceding foot fracture.

If there’s one guy who I wish had made enough money to retire on it would be Quigg, a few more wars like and I’d be worried for his long term health

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 12 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Forget it mate

But seriously it can’t be that easy to train on a fracture in the foot and you need to train to get the last few pounds off good diet on its own ain’t cutting it
Entirely agree, and that was the point I was trying to make except I wasn't as clear as you.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Mon 12 Mar 2018, 3:50 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Can only see Brook taking the Charlo fight if Hearn has confirmed he'll her Khan after whatever the outcome. I don't see Brook getting near Charlo. There's levels in boxing. Brook isn't elite

If Lara beats Hurd do you think Kell will fight Lara?
Basically zero percentage chance of Hearn putting Brook in against Lara. Lara is essentially an unbeaten fighter, he was robbed against Paul Williams and Saul Alvarez. Lara is technically one of the best around. He'd box Brook's ears off.

Brook/Hearn want Charlo as he's less experienced and there's a chance Brook could land a fluke shot and KO him

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 13 Mar 2018, 11:30 am

Lara is dross to watch....wouldn't give him the time of day tbf

Think Charlo or Hurd are bad news for Brook, but still are good fights that I'd like to see

I don't think Brook is really back, if anything you would've liked to see it go on longer to see how he coped when he got hit...we learnt nothing from this other than Brook is a sharp puncher and has good fundamentals which we knew already everything we knew already

In both his loses he struggled when he was under pressure (albeit from 2 class fighters with lots of power) and got dragged into a fight

Hurd is a monster at 154, absolutely huge he'd walk through Brook and Charlo is similar to Spence whereby the skill difference (between Brook and Spence/Charlo) isn't much but the younger fresher man will take over in the final 3rd of the fight

Think Ali would be a good test for Brook before jumping into the ring with the big dogs (which I think he will given the risks he took against GGG and Spence)
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 13 Mar 2018, 5:19 pm

I wouldn’t say Brook struggled under pressure from Spence. In fact he was winning the fight albeit closely until his eye socket got fractured in the 7th. Ok that came from a punch but he wasn’t exactly getting a masterclass served to him before. Not saying he would have won but for the injury either but he showed he can mix it with the best which bodes well for the future. Big question mark for me is how he deals with the size difference now. Obviously GGG was too big and walked through him in the end but that’s a very good MW. If he can impose himself and show the ability to absorb punches at LMW I see no major faults in his technique stopping him from being a good World Champion.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down