The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ??

+6
AdamT
catchweight
wheelchair1991
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ?? Empty Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:32 am

P**s or get off the pot....Is my advice...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ?? Empty Re: Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ??

Post by Guest Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:42 am

Before I went on holiday, someone was declaring Quigg was a "bum with a belt" and I pointed out that only a few months earlier, people were split as to who would win between him and Frampton. Not Quigg's fault his promoter wants to maximize profits and the egos of Hearn and McGuigan could have scuppered the whole deal before it got off the ground.

Bit bored of the "must have a belt before I'll fight him" garbage and long for a return to the days when Barrera would fight anyone and wasn't bothered about titles as everyone knew he was the best FW around.

I appreciate it's a money driven sport but a title (or lack of) can now be seen as something to hide behind.

Quigg/Frampton is as good a "trade fight" as we're likely to see (much like Groves/Degale was) but the three ring circus re who has what belt only detracts from what could be a very decent scrap.

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ?? Empty Re: Scott Quigg retains "title" - Does anybody care ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

Frampton has beaten the respected Kiko twice and has had one title fight..

This guy has had four title fights and drawn with the only half decent guy he's fought...

Everybody is entitled to an easy pay day but it's time for a test..

Welcome back..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

For me, Frampton has the Hatton factor in that he's a crowd pleaser with an exciting style whereas Quigg is more of a tough sell. Decent boxer but lacks that je ne se quois to whet the public's appetite.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:58 am

I thought Hearn was unusually direct and unequivocal when he was asked about who Quigg should be fighting next and which direction they were looking to go in (before you jump in, Strongy, the majority of promoters can go a little vague when asked about that kind of stuff). Rather than the 'that's one option, but there's others on the table, I'm not sure they want it, but we'll see' etc lines, Hearn stated clearly that a Frampton fight has to be the top priority and it's definitely the one to make next, and even applied a bit of pressure on himself and Frampton's team to deliver it with his comments.

That can only be a positive sign, or at least I hope it is. It's the first time I've seen either man's team really make a proper, bold declaration that they feel it's time to make the fight happen, so I don't think Quigg and Hearn are going to want to put themselves in a situation where people can say, 'yeah, but you told us you were going to make the Frampton fight...' if they were to go down another route.

I do feel for Quigg, because he's left the door open just a little for Frampton / McGuigan to leave him in the dark. Had the fight been made while they were both at domestic / Commonwealth level neither one of them could really have side-stepped it on the premise that they had bigger fish to fry (ala the Hatton-Witter situation once Hatton had beaten Tszyu), but now there's a conceivability that Frampton and his team could play that card. As plenty of others have already alluded to, there's interest in Frampton Stateside, and while Quigg is just one of many English fighters under a promotional banner crammed with bigger names than himself, Frampton is the darling of Irish boxing with a team which is all for him. He's got the bigger fan base, a more legitimate world title and links with a fighter who was (and still is) immensely popular both sides of the Atlantic, which is a good story in itself.

I think it has to happen now before it reaches that pitch, which is surely will if they wait any longer. Frampton's deal with BoxNation has just ended so I really can't see a better time for it to be made. At the very least, Quigg deserves better than these awful 'bum' jibes he's been getting on here.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 11:00 am

I agree....Also Quigg is a boxer from a big pond...Frampton is from a Country starved of success...

Quigg always looks and sounds as thick as pig crap which doesn't help either..

Frampton Ko 8

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 11:55 am

I liked the silence after Quigg declaring he would fight anyone in the division and Ed Robinson put to him 'Rigondeaux' Laugh

After a few seconds he then said anyone before Big Joe lept to his defense.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm

That did make me chuckle too the whole Joe sky lovein makes me puke

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 15 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm

Last time after Quigg knocked out a weight drained substitute he was supposed to be in pole position for his pick of the division. The Frampton fight is a bigger fight now, but Quigg doesnt hold any of the cards anymore. Santa Cruz is also guy who calls out anyone and everyone but when push comes to shove winds up fighting a blow in. None of them even want to mention Rigondeaux. Are they ever going to fight each other?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 1:07 pm

LSC called Rigondeaux out at the weekend but with his track record i dont expect it to happen

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 15 Sep 2014, 1:24 pm

I'm Irish and a huge Frampton fan but I think Quigg will provide a stern test. He is very disciplined and strong at the weight. Then again so is Frampton. I just think Frampton has too much skill for him and I would fancy a late stoppage for Carl.

Think Quigg is good though,so think he deserves more respect than he gets. Real fans know he isn't a real champion but that is more down to his management trying to sell him as a top draw. Actually really like quigg and would support him against anyone else other than Frampton. For a guy that has little amatuer experience, he hasn't done too bad for himself.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

Quigg deserves the amount of respect he's getting IMO.

Can't proclaim to be the best and fight blown up bantamweight bums.

He's got a good skill set but Frampton is just an all round better boxer. No contest.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

Yep time for him to test himself

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:01 pm

But do we think he will in his next fight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:04 pm

I don't know what is in Hearn's mind.. .Feeds some fighters to the wolves and then feeds this guy stiff soup every meal...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Well Hearn did seem to really want the Frampton fight even he must realise fans are getting sick of quigg's present level of opposition

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

Am not sure either....probably the mastermind Joe Gallagher at work.

The first half decent test he got he eeked out a draw.Then proclaimed him to be World Class who Frampton avoided, only for him get put down 4 times in 5 rounds by an 15-7 Mexican gym rat.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:18 pm

Maybe I'm wrong about Quigg. I knew his competition wasn't great but didn't realise how bad it was. Do all you guys Rate Frampton over him? I sure as hell do.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

Frampton can fight off both back and front feet......Quigg is one dimensional...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:34 pm

I think the Salinas fight is a good indication of what Quigg is like when he steps up a level. Salinas wasn't even world level and Quigg struggled to adpat as he was fighting someone who was not standing in front of him for a change.

His preceeding 3 fights have all been against styles he will look good against (plus were all not career super bantams) and hey presto 3 stoppages.

As Truss has already stated, Frampton can adapt to styles where as Quigg fights the same way pretty much every fight.

Quigg is well conditioned, big at the weight, punches hard, has got decent hand speed. But doesn't seem to have the best boxing brain.

If he and Frampton were to get it on, I just see him being picked off with heavy counters. It will be competitive early on but can see him waining as the fights go on and being stopped late.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

Quiggs a good fighter but his opposition has been disappointing considering hes masquerading as a world champion and the big talk Joe Gallagher and Hearn are giving it.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 16 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

Frampton by ko similar to the first Martinez fight I reckon. Quigg might make it in interesting for a few rounds but I think Frampton will time him and walk him onto a shot that will end the fight. I don't think Quigg has the chin to stay upright against Frampton.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

How I see it Ranjo... So put your money on Quigg

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:27 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Am not sure either....probably the mastermind Joe Gallagher at work.

The first half decent test he got he eeked out a draw.Then proclaimed him to be World Class who Frampton avoided, only for him get put down 4 times in 5 rounds by an 15-7 Mexican gym rat.

When did Quigg get dropped four times?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:39 am

Think he's referring to Salinas, Hampo! Got splattered and blown out by a journeyman since facing Quigg.

I saw a bit of Salinas before he fought Quigg and thought he looked like a very good boxer. Picked him to decision Quigg, so wasn't as unhappy with Quigg's performance against him as a lot of others turned out to be. That said, what's happened to him since means that, as things stand, everyone else was 'right' so to speak whereas I was wrong....But freak results do crop up now and then. Maybe that was one of them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:49 am

Ahh ok, I thought he had confused Quigg with Tommy Coyle Very Happy

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 16 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

Quigg prior to Salinas; 'I don't feel like a champion, I need to feel as though I've won it in the ring'.

Draws.

'I can now say I'm a Champion, defending against world class opposition'.

Quigg isn't a bum but we are being fed a fraud until he proves otherwise.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 16 Sep 2014, 12:57 pm

I think people are forgetting re the salinas fight that it was part of master trainer joe gallacher's plan to lose the first 6 rounds. So quigg followed the fight plan perfectly.

Perhaps it will be gallacher's plan for quigg to walk on to right hand counters from frampton all night and finish the evening eating canvas for supper.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Think he's referring to Salinas, Hampo! Got splattered and blown out by a journeyman since facing Quigg.

I saw a bit of Salinas before he fought Quigg and thought he looked like a very good boxer. Picked him to decision Quigg, so wasn't as unhappy with Quigg's performance against him as a lot of others turned out to be. That said, what's happened to him since means that, as things stand, everyone else was 'right' so to speak whereas I was wrong....But freak results do crop up now and then. Maybe that was one of them.

My friend had watched Salinas before hand and said that he would be very surprised if Quigg doesn't steamroll him. So safe to say we lost a few ££££ on an early stoppage for Quigg.

He was eventually proven right though.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:52 pm

milkyboy wrote:I think people are forgetting re the salinas fight that it was part of master trainer  joe gallacher's plan to lose the first 6 rounds. So quigg followed the fight plan perfectly.

Because Salinas had a good jab apprantely Laugh

Obviously didnt do enough research has this was his only good punch.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

Chris doesn't know sheet, soldier. Wink

Blame that gallacher fight plan for your loss at the bookies.

I think they needed to do more research as you say and also work on their maths,.... So they know how many rounds they can plan on giving away whilst still being able to win the fight without knock downs. It was 5 the last time I counted.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 16 Sep 2014, 5:02 pm

milkyboy wrote:I think people are forgetting re the salinas fight that it was part of master trainer  joe gallacher's plan to lose the first 6 rounds. So quigg followed the fight plan perfectly.

Perhaps it will be gallacher's plan for quigg to walk on to right hand counters from frampton all night and finish the evening eating canvas for supper.

A strategy so great that Sky saw fit to get Gallagher up in the ring and explain the masterclass of drawing with a guy some Mexican journeyman wiped out.

They must have thought the Cuban was the new Rigondeaux.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down