The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith

+3
Mr Bounce
Pedro147
Fernando
7 posters

Go down

Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith  Empty Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith

Post by Fernando Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:47 am

Undefeated Dutch super middleweight Nieky Holzken replaces Juergen Braehmer as Callum Smith’s Ali Trophy opponent after the German veteran was forced to withdraw from Saturday’s semi-final showdown in Nuremberg.

Braehmer has been suffering from influenza and yesterday revealed he would be unable to compete against Smith at the Arena Nürnberger Versicherung.

“I have been battling a feverish infection since Sunday,” said Braehmer. “Unfortunately, a fight in this state is out of the question. It is not possible for me to go into the ring like this and I would like to apologise to my fans. I was well prepared and looking forward to fighting Callum.”

The World Boxing Super Series’ format meant Holzken was already on standby as a reserve, and as the tournament’s Chief Boxing Officer Kalle Sauerland explains he will now have the opportunity to earn a place opposite WBA & IBO World Champion George Groves in the final.

“It is unfortunate for Braehmer particularly after such as strong showing in his quarter-final fight with Rob Brant,” said Kalle Sauerland. “Fortunately, we are prepared for such eventualities and the tournament will move forward with our reserve fighter Nieky Holzken facing Callum Smith in our fourth semi-final.”

Holzken, who had been preparing to face Russia’s Dmitrii Chudinov, insists he is ready to gatecrash the World Boxing Super Series party, and the fighter from Helmond, Holland has already issued some words of warning for his new opponent Smith.

“I’ve been waiting for this chance to come,” said Holzken. “I signed up as a substitute fighter so I’m in great shape and prepared for Saturday. I’ve watched Callum fight many times. I study everyone in my weight division. He’s a good, solid fighter. We’re both big body punchers. It will make for an excellent fight.”

“Callum, you better be ready, because I am, and I’m coming to beat you!”

WBC Diamond Champion Callum Smith and his trainer Joe Gallagher have spent the last months preparing for veteran southpaw Braehmer, but the tournament’s 2nd seeded super middleweight must now switch his focus to this new challenge.

“I gave an interview last week and said it’s great there have been no drop-outs,” said Smith. “Looks like I spoke too soon.”

“We got the call as we were boarding the plane. I am committed to fighting on Saturday and will fight whoever the World Boxing Super Series puts in front of me.”

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith  Empty Re: Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith

Post by Pedro147 Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm

Will this still be PPV?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith  Empty Re: Braehmer out of Semi Final vs Callum Smith

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 20 Feb 2018, 4:53 pm

I seem to recall that Brahmer has a habit of dropping out of things - just ask Nathan Cleverley. Is it bad luck? I am not convinced. Have to say I was surprised he was in the line up to start with as he's not been a SMW for years. would have been FAR better to have got Truax or DeGale in there but they were busy (DeGale was injured when the WBSS was being sorted, as was Ramirez). Benavidez maybe?

It's a shame, but it'll be interesting to see how Smith adapts to fighting an orthodox fighter having trained for a Southpaw. Also, Holzken will come into this with nothing to lose except his "0". He's a puncher, so should give it a go. However, unless he's an amazing undetected talent, it's likely that Smith breaks him down in about 8 rounds.

It should NOT be a PPV as it's not worthy of being that. But hey, neither was Eubank Jr...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 20 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

Shame for Smith this as I think it was a test he needed. I expected him to win but away in Germany against a reasonable well known albeit past it opponent would have been good experience for him.

Can’t say I know anything about his new opponent but like Bounce says unless he turns out to be an amazing talent it’ll be a comfortable night for Smith. Just hope Holzken gives it a good go.

If they have any sense they shoujd show this for free and use it as a platform to build the final for PPV. Surely nobody is going to pay and watch this otherwise.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Wed 21 Feb 2018, 9:34 am

Wouldn't surprise me if Sauerland brothers asked Braehmer to withdraw as an all British final between Groves and Smith generates more ppv revenue. Secondly Braehmer rarely ventures out of Germany and I highly doubt Groves would've entertained thoughts of contesting the final in Germany

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

I'm really struggling to see why Braehmer deserved to be in the tournament anyway. I'm not sure who he's faced - let alone beaten - of any note. He wouldn't be competitive against Smith or Groves.. I wouldn't even fancy his chances against Eubank.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Wed 21 Feb 2018, 4:10 pm

Braehmer has lost to Mario Veit I'll have you know. The same Veit Calzaghe smashed up twice.

Anyway, Braehmer, decent cute boxer but low work rate. A bit like Groves in that he likes to counter punch and set up traps. Just not as good.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:19 pm

Holkzen is a kickboxing champion and former European muay thai champion, I am surprised he was considered as a substitute. Whilst you cant write him off completely, Smith should take this comfortably on points as long as he doesn't get drawn into a slugfest, Holkzen is tough and can hit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down