The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave?

+32
ML
Totallybiasedscarlet
BridgendBoyo
Toadfish
greybeard
propdavid_london
GunsGerms
debaters1
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
nottins
Pal Joey
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nganboy
Boston Exile
RuggerRadge2611
TheGreyGhost
JLyall
LordDowlais
rodders
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
Gunner
paddy
Swperb
majesticimperialman
ruggerbyplayer
Shifty
Adam D
MBTGOG
Taylorman
36 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave? Empty Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave?

Post by Taylorman Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Just to add something different, thought I'd throw this one out there after seeing some big comebacks during this years s15 and the efforts of Oz last year against the Boks.

My most memorable is still the AB's versus the Quagga Barbarians in 1976. With 20 minutes to go the AB's were 31-9 down! 31-9 down I hear you say! Hug

Heading for their biggest annhialation on record the AB's dug deep and with a scrambling try in the corner Terry Mitchell scored to win it 32-31.

Listened to the game on 1ZB with I think John Howson commentating (Panama, where are you when I need some validation?). One of my earliest live games and will never forget it.

The detail might be scratchy- just like the win...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave? Empty Re: Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave?

Post by MBTGOG Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Well I'll be boring and select a certain semi final in 1999, which also included New Zealand.

Probably the best game I've ever seen and I think it consolidated my love of rugby.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave? Empty Re: Biggest international comebacks- whats your fave?

Post by Adam D Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:37 pm

france vs wales in the 6 nations where france dominated the first half and wales came back second - grand slam year.

France were amazing 1st half, Wales even better 2nd

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:54 pm

was that the 2005 one Hobo? If so that's up there with my fave's, still the only rugby game that's ever made me cry. Twas the sheer tension of trying to hold out France on our try line for the last 10 mins. Don't think I could go through that again!

That 1999 Semi-final was something else, definitely in my top three.

I've got to love Wales v Scotland 2010 though I believe it was, the craziest last 10 mins of rugby I think I've ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

yep - it was the 2005 one.

France were sublime in the first half and Wales somehow managed to play even better in the second.

Just a brilliant game, made all the better by the result!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Martyn Williams pretty much won that one for us I think Hobo. One try just before half time, and one try straight after, he totally kept us in it (especially as one was a bit of cunning as he knew he couldn't make the line so went for the padding around the post)

Was definitely a brilliant match though, may have to dust off my dvd of it....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

If the question means a team's comeback during a game, please disregard my post because it's about my favourite player comeback to international rugby.

In 1970, a winger crisis led to the great Tony O'Reilly being called out of a six-year international retirement, to play one last time for Ireland against England at Twickenham.

He had become a successful chief executive by then and raised a few eyebrows - and laughs - by turning up for pre-match training in a limo driven by an employee in a peaked cap.

O'Reilly, superb wing that he had been, was the first to admit that his unlikely comeback wasn't a success. He tells of being under a pile of English bodies during the game and distinctly hearing an Irish fan shout, "While you're at it, kick his bloody chauffeur as well!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Wales Vs Scotland 2010, Scotland were ahead 24-14 with 3 minutes left.
1 Scottish yellow, 1 Scottish red, 2 Welsh tries and 1 Welsh penalty, and Andy Robinson turning his back on his team in disgust and walking away down the corridor just as Shane Williams scored our winning try. Scotland just imploded totally imploded.
Wonderful ending to a dire match!

Wales 31-24 Scotland - another win against Scotland Yahoo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8508259.stm

Last edited by AlynDavies on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Wales v. Scotland 2010. Hands down best rugby I've ever seen. Shane got the winning try and I remember Jonathan Davis went mad in the commentary box.

NZ vs. France at the 2007 World Cup in Cardiff was pretty classic.

As for the best club come back it has to be the Heineken Cup final this year. I was there and it was absolutely brilliant. Leinster 22-6 down at half-time. Came back to thrash the Saints.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Martyn Williams pretty much won that one for us I think Hobo. One try just before half time, and one try straight after, he totally kept us in it (especially as one was a bit of cunning as he knew he couldn't make the line so went for the padding around the post)

Was definitely a brilliant match though, may have to dust off my dvd of it....

I thought Martyn Williams' tries all came in the second half? I thought we just kept in touch with Wellies' boot in the first half and then came the turnaround with the tries.

My favourite comeback was Wales v Scotland in 2010 anyway. Even before the last ten I kept turning to my Scottish wife and her friends and saying we won't be coming back.

England v Wales 2008 wasn't too bad either.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh yeh I forgot about England vs. Wales in 2008. That was a classic.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 pm

The best one i can remember was England v All Backs 2002.

England was losing going in at half time. England came back in the second half and won by either 1-2 points.

And then Andrew Mertherns crying on the field at the end of the gam.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Swperb Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 pm

ruggerbyplayer wrote:Wales v. Scotland 2010. Hands down best rugby I've ever seen. Shane got the winning try and I remember Jonathan Davis went mad in the commentary box.

NZ vs. France at the 2007 World Cup in Cardiff was pretty classic.

I was there for both those games. The atmosphere was something else! Very Happy
Swperb
Swperb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:04 am

majesticimperialman wrote:The best one i can remember was England v All Backs 2002.

England was losing going in at half time. England came back in the second half and won by either 1-2 points.

Are you sure Maj? This report has england ahead at half time by 3 points, and 2 tries followed within 8 minutes of the 2nd half starting. Good win for englend, but a comeback?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 am

Wales Scotland 2010 was and still is bizarre in comebacks, and while not totally backs to the wall scoreline wise Eng Wales in 2008 has to be one of the best in sheer excitement (from a welsh POV).

Since someone has already brought domestic rugby into the topic, 2006 24-3 down shortly before half-time and then 31-10 behind four minutes into the second half Scarlet ran out 41 - 34 winners against Toulouse in Toulouse. Amazing 8)

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:29 am

I know this is not international status but I would have to say HC final Leinster v Northampton at the MS. I think everyone including myself had given up on Leinster but what an amazing second half and what a fantastic display of rugby by both teams.

paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 am

majesticimperialman wrote:The best one i can remember was England v All Backs 2002.

Mehrtens crying after the game???
Surely not!
By this stage of his career Mehrtens had already been thru the torment
of two World Cup exits. Cant imagine a loss in and end of year tour with a rather experimental
All Blacks lineup would have seen Mehrts bringin out his handkerchief.
(Anyone remember these All Blacks? Danny Lee, Keith Lowen,Joe McDonnell,Mark Robinson,Brad Mika)

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am

As fun as Wales v England 2008 was, England did kind of implode, albiet to Welsh pressure or not.

For me Wales V France 2005 has to be it as it was all us in the 2nd half
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 am

ruggerbyplayer wrote:Wales v. Scotland 2010. Hands down best rugby I've ever seen.

I can't agree with that. Wales were terrible for the majority of that match - Scotland's implosion has caused people to forget that. Also, comebacks are easier when you're playing againt 14 / 13 men, aren't they?

The best comeback I've seen was the France - New Zealand game in the 1999 World Cup. Some games can bring a lump to your throat and I felt that way, the way France played. Christophe Lamaison and Oliver Magne were great, but Christophe Dominici embodied the French spirit for me that day. He was some player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:20 am

France against NZ in the 1999 WC.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am

For me it has to be Wales v Scotland for the tripple crown in 1988(i think). Two drop goals by Jiffy to seal the result right at the end, and Paul Thorburn kicking those to massive kicks from hos own 10mtr line. The Scottish took a big early lead, but Wales hit back with tries from Paul Thorburn and who can forget that mazy run by Ieuan Evans, he beat about four players to score.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 am

I've just realised how old I have made myself feel now though Shocked . But it was a good time spent watching the game with the old man Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by JLyall Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:43 pm

The most sickening I've seen was watching Scotland throw away a game they should have buried against Wales last year. Typical Scotland, but still could not believe it! Davies screeching in the commentary box only added to the horror.

The best I've seen live was Scotland 28-28 Wales in 2001 ( I was only 7 at the time). Maybe not a brilliant comeback, as the game was sort of nip and tuck all the way, but a sublime dummy and sprint up the touchline from prop Tom Smith and a last kick conversion from Hodge saved the draw.

In club rugby, it would be 2 years ago - Edinburgh 35-31 Glasgow, a game Edinburgh were dominating to begin with, but Glasgow came back superbly, and Parks (yes Parks!) scored in the corner to put them in the lead. However, with about 2 minutes to go, Edinburgh (when Robinson coached them, and they were a formidable side) put Cairns over to win the game. Super atmosphere and a pulsating finish.

JLyall

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Red_Dragon_Spirit wrote:

Are you sure Maj? This report has england ahead at half time by 3 points, and 2 tries followed within 8 minutes of the 2nd half starting. Good win for englend, but a comeback?

I loved that great come back by England, where they lost to NZ at Manchester by a respectable margin of 25-8 then did a lap of honour in front of an adoring crowd.

It's all about expectations and standards, really.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I've got to love Wales v Scotland 2010 though I believe it was, the craziest last 10 mins of rugby I think I've ever seen.

Ouch.

AlynDavies wrote:Wales Vs Scotland 2010, Scotland were ahead 24-14 with 3 minutes left.
1 Scottish yellow, 1 Scottish red, 2 Welsh tries and 1 Welsh penalty, and Andy Robinson turning his back on his team in disgust and walking away down the corridor just as Shane Williams scored our winning try. Scotland just imploded totally imploded.
Wonderful ending to a dire match!
Wales 31-24 Scotland - another win against Scotland Yahoo

Ouch

ruggerbyplayer wrote:Wales v. Scotland 2010. Hands down best rugby I've ever seen. Shane got the winning try and I remember Jonathan Davis went mad in the commentary box.

Ouch

I thought Jiffy's conduct in the commentary box was outrageous. Who knows what poor Andy Cotter was thinking at that point.

I also can't really think of any Wales fan who would say they deserved to win that match. Wales were getting hammered in every area of the Park.

In fact I'm certain one of my fello Scottish posters on the old 606 walked up to a police officer right after the game to report a mugging.

Wales are my Second team due to a grand parent link and the fact they have a brilliant travelling support and always welcome Visiting fans well, but I hated you guys that day.

Furthermore after shane scored the winning try.... what comes on the stadium Tannoy? "Mama Told me not to come by the Stereophonics" Yep thats right just smear salt all over those wounds boyos! boxing Hug
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Most enjoyable comeback by Scotland I've witnessed was v France in the 1980 5 Nations. We were dead and buried with 15 minutes to go and the mood on the terraces was sombre, but Irvine, Rutherford and Renwick inspired a most unexpected win that probably proved to be the springboard for our successes in the early 80s. The French guys after the game were really good about it and hid their disappointment well, after a half dozen drinks who cared.

As a series come back I remember NZ being 2-0 over Australia (maybe 1978 or 79) and Australia going out to be predictably slaughtered. Instead Greg Cornelson scored I believe 4 tries from No.8 and Australia had a most compelling victory. One of the best individual No.8 performances I ever saw and he was really a flanker with Mark Loane at 8.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Boston Exile wrote:Irvine, Rutherford and Renwick inspired a most unexpected win

Three wonderful, attack-minded rugby players. Jim Renwick seems not to be mentioned much these days but he was some player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46 am

Irvine, Rutherford and Renwick...
Yeah loved watching them

Irvine was here with the 77 Lions and he was my first real overseas rugby hero. he had an awesome tour, as did Bennet, Peter wheeler, Fran Cotton, big billy beaumont and Doug Morgan I recall coming over as a replacement had a mighty 4th test, scoring all 9- try, pen, con, only to be outlasted by Doctor Lawrie Knights run at the end.

Great memories...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 am

Hey Irvine was the first rugby player that I ever took notice of too. Then my dad explained that he was playing against NZ
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:20 am

Remember Lawrie Knight, think they nicknamed him Spock. Andy Hayden claimed he psyched himself up for a test match about 2 days before anyone else. He punched well above his weight as a result.

That was a great Lions pack, the front 5 of Cotton, Wheeler, Price, Beaumont and Brown would have more than matched even the French. The backrow were strong but lacked speed/width. If David Leslie had been fit (he missed the entire season) then with Quinnell and Duggan have made a superb backrow - no disrespect to Cobner who was a strong flanker and great pack leader but he was not the quickest for an openside - Leslie was the missing link for that pack.

Unfortunately that series was lost behind the scrum which bucked almost all previous trends. Irvine in tandem with JJ williams and Mike Slemen were the honorable exceptions who scored a load of tries down the flanks.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 am

I remember Phil Bennett saying in an interview that he didn't enjoy that tour at all - his son had just been born and he would rather have been at home with him. It also isn't necessarily the best idea to make your ten your captain; he has enough of a task trying to manage the game without the added burden of captaincy.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Boston Exile wrote:Irvine, Rutherford and Renwick inspired a most unexpected win

Three wonderful, attack-minded rugby players. Jim Renwick seems not to be mentioned much these days but he was some player.

Lucky, just finished reading a history of Scottish rugby, and Jim Renwick features prominently as one of the best players that Scotland have ever produced - I remember him for his silky skills, but apparently his fellow players remember him most for his unforgiving defence OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:

Lucky, just finished reading a history of Scottish rugby, and Jim Renwick features prominently as one of the best players that Scotland have ever produced - I remember him for his silky skills, but apparently his fellow players remember him most for his unforgiving defence OK

I hope Gavin Hastings was top of the Scottish pile, he was an immense player, the only guy I ever saw to get the better of him fairly regularly was Ieuan Evans.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Some more good names there Boston- Terry Cobner-geez, forgotten that one. Pretty sure Slemen wasnt on that tour. Elgan Rees, Williams, Peter Squires?.

Recall him the next year for England- throwing in to himself from the sideline to create (or score) a try from memory.

yeah Bennet wasnt very experienced as a captain either was he. Man could he sidestep though. Against Wanganui King Country he did 3 in a row where each tackler fell down without touching him... classic.

McGeechan did the same against North Auckland to score under the posts. But Irvine was by far the standout player of the tournament. Reminded me of John Gallagher- same lithe running style from the back.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30 am

Think you caught me on that one, I've got in my mind Irvine and Mike Slemen combining well but must have been from SA in 1980 - age catching up with me. Slemen was an old style winger, no bull dozing runs, saw him beat people through change of pace (you very rarely see that today, used to practice it a lot).

Bennett was an excellent runner but that '77 tour they had one of the wettest winters in years, not running rugby weather. Led to a couple of stoppers in midfield (Fenwick/Burcher) and the runners (Gibson/McGeechan) weren't often favoured due to conditions. The pack aside it was a dreadful tour.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:30 am

Yeah it was wet. the Juniors game players had faces of mud literaly an inch think. Never seen anything like it.
There were some quick grounds though. 1st test athletic park- battys intercept and goings sneaky try.
Introduction of Bevan wilson at fullback in the 3rd test.
But you must agree...one of the worst fullbacks in history... Colin Farrells 2 efforts in the first 2 tests- fluffy long blonde hair- stuffed everything he did those 2 tests.
Was actually a good player for suburbs and auckland but geez that comedy of errors...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:58 pm

To me, the greatest comeback I have seen is France-NZ semi-final from the 1999 RWC. Certainly one of the most important and dramatic because it was a critical RWC match. For the whole world to see.

France were down 10-24 at half-time, before going absolutely bananas and winning 43-31. One of the most riveting matches I have ever seen.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Good call Doctor. Was that the game Lomu was faced by the diminutive Dominici and it was questioned if he'd just go over him like he did Underwood? If I'm thinking of the right game that was both a massive turnaround and total upset.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

BostonEx: Yes that was the match. Dominici was supposed to be the proverbial 'rat on the road' and Lomu the on-rushing lorry. Lomu did score in the first half (once or twice, I can't remember). But France turned up the speed and the whole NZ team was left standing around flat-footed. Absolutely off the charts match. Would love to find a DVD of that one.

Actually one other comeback comes to mind, thought with a differetn result. The Wales-NZ match in Sydney in RWC 2003. NZ way up, Wales score 4 tries in a row to get to ahead, with a global shock in the making. Wales did just run out of steam at the end and NZ closed them out. But was probably the most exciting match I ever saw in person.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 pm

doctor_grey wrote:To me, the greatest comeback I have seen is France-NZ semi-final from the 1999 RWC. Certainly one of the most important and dramatic because it was a critical RWC match. For the whole world to see.

France were down 10-24 at half-time, before going absolutely bananas and winning 43-31. One of the most riveting matches I have ever seen.

Hey it always helps when you have a Irish referee who's father is French Doh
when Allain Rowland is refereeing the French the other team has lost before a ball has been kicked. I'll never forget that red card he gave the Namibian player in the last World Cup for a high tackle. I'm not knocking him because hes very, very kind to Welsh teams to, but he isnt always down the middle.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:35 pm

They were actually down 17-10 half time. Although Lomu scored again after half time. Yes, Freakish long range tries which only France are capable of.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:To me, the greatest comeback I have seen is France-NZ semi-final from the 1999 RWC. Certainly one of the most important and dramatic because it was a critical RWC match. For the whole world to see.

Hey it always helps when you have a Irish referee who's father is French Doh
when Allain Rowland is refereeing the French the other team has lost before a ball has been kicked..... I'm not knocking him because hes very, very kind to Welsh teams to, but he isnt always down the middle.

Utter nonsense.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Utter nonsense.

Which part?
He's fluent in French because his father is French.
He has been involved in a few dodgy incidents with France, especially the 1999 World Cup game between New Zealand and France where he ended up recieving death threats for appearing to Favour France.
Anytime you watch him play France he generally gives them the 50/50 decisions, and protects them. Hell you only have to look at the red card incident in the game between Namibia and France to see that, he sent to back row forward off for basically touching the French players shoulder, it was a shocking decision! Even the French thought it was a mad decision!
I've also noticed he's always very nice to Wales, though nigel Owen is generally nice to Ireland so I guess it evens itself out Hug .
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 am

'Noddy' Lynagh's last minute try at Lansdowne Rd to steal victory from Ireland in the 1991 quarter final.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 pm

My least favourite come back of all times was the Wallaby Bledisloe Cup victory in 2000 when John Eales kicked that ridiculous penalty from the side line.

Least favourite thwarted come back was George Gregan's last gasp tackle on Jeff Wilson in 1994 to prevent what should have been one of the greatest AB come backs of all time.

Those two still hurt. Possibly more than any RWC debacle.

Just goes to show that the Bledisloe Cup is still a more important trophy.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Best comeback I heard was in November 2003, by a certain George Gregan. "Four more years boys, four more years"

Last edited by nottins on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm

nottins wrote:Best comeback I heard was in November 2003, by a certain George Gregan. "Four more years boys, four more years"

You're not wrong.

Sadly in 2007 after one quarter-final I sent a text message to an Aussie workmate "Four more years boys, four more years". If only I'd waited another 6 hours until AFTER the France vs NZ game ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah GG, the ref seemed to add on 4-5 minutes for that BC game in Wellington...must have been excruciating for a Kiwi to watch Eales' kick sail over from the sideline.

For me, the epic 39-35 BC match in 2000. I was at that match. Unbelievable.
You could hear a pin drop after 10 mins? when it was 24-0 to the ABs - then the Wallaby comeback to lead 27-24 at half time was amazing.

I remember seeing Jonah getting bigger and Bigger AND BIGGER...as he scored that last try in that deserving win.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

AlynDavies wrote:When Allain Rowland is refereeing the French the other team has lost before a ball has been kicked. I'll never forget that red card he gave the Namibian player in the last World Cup for a high tackle. I'm not knocking him because hes very, very kind to Welsh teams to, but he isnt always down the middle.

Two points:

1) I've never seen any pro-French bias from Alain Rolland - unless, of course, you consider it favouritism to speak French to a French team. How dare he!

2) If his surname was Rowland, his father would be Welsh.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Yeah GG, the ref seemed to add on 4-5 minutes for that BC game in Wellington...must have been excruciating for a Kiwi to watch Eales' kick sail over from the sideline.

Unless I'm mistaken the referee on the day was Jonathan Kaplan. I recall him being quizzed about the length of the game afterwards to which he replied "I thought that there was a lot of time wasting, I was prepared to play another 3 or 4 minutes if the kick missed". Which I thought was outrageous, considering he blew the match up after the successful kick. Surely if he thought 3 or 4 minutes more was warranted, he should have played it and given the ABs the chance to score again. I do believe the current rugby league style hooter and synchronised broadcast match clock/stadium clock was a derivative from the fall out after that game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next