The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

+63
compelling and rich
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGermsV2
Geordie
Redman
rodders
whocares
Mad for Chelsea
Poorfour
tigertattie
2ndtimeround
Exiledinborders
Pal Joey
owen10ozzy
Fluxy
carpet baboon
Gooseberry
beshocked
No9
Rory_Gallagher
LordDowlais
bsando
RiscaGame
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
cascough
Cyril
geoff999rugby
formerly known as Sam
chris_501
yappysnap
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
Winzer
hugehandoff
SamTheQuin
Hammersmith harrier
marty2086
munkian
BamBam
Scottrf
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
majesticimperialman
BigTrevsbigmac
Hood83
emack2
TightHEAD
Gwlad
eirebilly
aucklandlaurie
EST
king_carlos
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
kingelderfield
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
BigGee
RDW
robbo277
LondonTiger
George Carlin
67 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 8 Empty Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 8 Auckla10Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 8 Lions_10
Blues British & Irish Lions
7 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Eden Park, Auckland

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Pascal Gaüzère (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

19 June 1993: Auckland 23 - 18 British & Irish Lions

18 May 1983: Auckland 13 - 12 British & Irish Lions

23 June 1977: Auckland 15 - 34 British & Irish Lions

B. TEAMS:

Blues 
15 Michael Collins
14 Matt Duffie
13 George Moala
12 Sonny Bill Williams
11 Rieko Ioane
10 Stephen Perofeta
09 Augustine Pulu

08 Steven Luatua
07 Blake Gibson
06 Akira Ioane
05 Scott Scrafton
04 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
03 Charlie Faumuina
02 James Parson
01 Ofa Tu'ungafasi

16 Hame Faiva
17 Alex Hodgman
18 Sione Mafileo
19 Patrick Tuipulotu
20 Kara Pryor
21 Sam Nock
22 Ihaia West
23 TJ Faiane/Melani Nanai

British & Irish Lions

Halfpenny; Nowell, Payne, Henshaw, Daly; Biggar, Webb; McGrath, Owens (captain), Cole, Itoje, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander

Replacements: Best, Marler, Sinckler, Henderson, O'Mahony, Laidlaw, Sexton, L Williams

C. PREVIEW

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 8 Empty Re: Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:32 am

Cyril wrote:Try. Touch and go, but probably the right decision.

The Lions could end up losing to this shower.
Don't be silly

The Lions will win

It's good that it's been a reasonably close game even though the Lions have had the best of it

Back to top Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 8 Empty Re: Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:33 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
eirebilly wrote:It is a try. Stupid from Stander so close to half time. He has had a good game so far but that was pure lack of composure from him and indirectly leads to the try.

To be fair to Stander, Luatua slipped and went to his knees when Stander got to him.

I don't think he has been great though. I still don't think he has been the same since returning from injury.
In a way, I agree with the slipping but Stander was going in high. He has done that all season at Munster and cost them a few penalties.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:34 am

Tipuric just looks so at home in SH rugby. He has easily been the best player on the field.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:35 am

Nowell has gifted two Blues try's, oops!

Lions look much better in set piece this game, but i think the attacking play was more threatening in the first game despite a lot of plays not coming off. In other words I'm not convinced by this backline but I think the forwards are doing a much better job at getting over the gain line.

Unsure of Webb, he is doing well and playing a very confident game, but he is not as controlled as Murray or Laidlaw in my opinion and I'm pretty sure he started that brawl with a nippy comment to Blues player.

So forwards yay, backs nay.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Thank goodness for that Sexton on for Biggar who has had a mare

Not sure he was having a mare, more solid but uninspired - though two high profile mistakes (offside at lineout on Blues 5m line, and then that attempted offload when he got injured)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

Well all in all a much better performance than the last game for the Lions, even if they still are making a few silly mistakes. The pack are definitely on top this time and Webb is getting very good ball, which he is using well.

The backs are still not quite clicking but look a lot better in defence.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:37 am

I still cant see how they are trying to blame Nowell for the try... It was Haskell that went in causing Biggar and Nowell to come in and leave room outside. They even tried to blame Halfpenny.

I know Haskell is a media favourite but call it how it is, Haskell was at fault...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:39 am

Most people will blame the winger though. Same as Cuthbert. They're the ones most people see get smoked at the end of it.

Fitzgerald calling Halfpenny lazy was pretty funny though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:40 am

This might not going down too well but given the conditions it might be a good thing that Laidlaw is on the bench - he is a master at controlling games in these conditions

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:40 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:This might not going down too well but given the conditions it might be a good thing that Laidlaw is on the bench - he is a master at controlling games in these conditions

Ohhh omg he's the worst player ever!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:41 am

They even highlighted Haskell running out of the defensive line on the screen but quickly changed that and made no reference.

In the end, the conclusion was 'there was a mistake defensively but we don't know where'...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:45 am

Does Sexton realise he's not the captain? Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:46 am

Here we go, Blues in again in the corner?

TMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:46 am

Unlucky there for the Blues. Well done Nowell.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:46 am

No try

Foot in touch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:47 am

Cyril wrote:Does Sexton realise he's not the captain? Laugh

He really needs to shut up sometimes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

Blues sound much more inventive than us.  Which doesn't surprise me (it's a feature of NZ rugby across the board), but could be a big issue ahead of the tests.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:49 am

Big shout to Ken Owens as well. He has been very good, especially as this is his first game back after injury.

Lawes has been excellent as well, not much said about him but he has been more than solid.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

Griff wrote:Blues sound much more inventive than us.  Which doesn't surprise me (it's a feature of NZ rugby across the board), but does point to big worries ahead of the tests.
They're offloading all the time and almost playing Barbarians rugby. Maybe not the most sensible thing in the conditions.

Lions are still a bit stodgy but better than the 1st game (just).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

eirebilly wrote:I still cant see how they are trying to blame Nowell for the try... It was Haskell that went in causing Biggar and Nowell to come in and leave room outside. They even tried to blame Halfpenny.

I know Haskell is a media favourite but call it how it is, Haskell was at fault...

I thought the general belief was that Haskell is another player lucky to tour as he's been in poor/indifferent form for most of 2017.

Wouldn't call Haskell a media favourite.

How's Itoje been doing? Doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone so far.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:52 am

beshocked wrote:How's Itoje been doing? Doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone so far.

Itoje has been having quite a solid game, he is a class act, so we should not expect anything less.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:52 am

Cyril wrote:
Griff wrote:Blues sound much more inventive than us.  Which doesn't surprise me (it's a feature of NZ rugby across the board), but does point to big worries ahead of the tests.
They're offloading all the time and almost playing Barbarians rugby. Maybe not the most sensible thing in the conditions.

I'm listening on TalkSport so can't comment appropriately, but what I mean is that they seem to be getting in behind us and over the line (even if not given) much more easily than us. And this is their weakest (I think?) S15 team. Still, first game for these Lions players, and first with each other so perhaps understandable.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:53 am

Payne off with a calf injury. That was almost inevitable

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Nowell again!?!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Griff wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I'm listening on TalkSport so can't comment appropriately, but what I mean is that they seem to be getting in behind us and over the line (even if not given) much more easily than us.  And this is their weakest (I think?) S15 team.  Still, first game for these Lions players, and first with each other so perhaps understandable.  
They're breaking the line at will now. Probably should have been another try a moment ago.

Payne off now. It's be interesting to see if Daly can add a bit more invention at 13.

Nowell having a bit of a mare.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Nowell is in a bad place right now...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:55 am

Nowell really is having a mare. Two bad mistakes in two plays. I don't see him playing in the tests

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:55 am

When the Lions scrum is under pressure their front row goes down and it's ok because their 9 is putting it under their feet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:56 am

Going for the posts, good call

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:57 am

15-10 Blues, another penalty

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

Someone's in trouble

YC for the Lions player surely

The NH referee was going to let it go

He's made some strange calls tonight

Back to top Go down

Post by SamTheQuin Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

Lions need to start using the power of their forwards a little more.

Silly by Williams there.

SamTheQuin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

Very lucky there for Williams...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

zero x factor from the Lions so far, how can they beat the all blacks if everything they offer in attack is easily defended?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

No YC

NH nepotism Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

Now Liam Williams gives a away a penalty and loses our advantage

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

Lucky only a penalty there. Williams wrapped him up.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Cyril wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I'm listening on TalkSport so can't comment appropriately, but what I mean is that they seem to be getting in behind us and over the line (even if not given) much more easily than us.  And this is their weakest (I think?) S15 team.  Still, first game for these Lions players, and first with each other so perhaps understandable.  
They're breaking the line at will now. Probably should have been another try a moment ago.

Payne off now. It's be interesting to see if Daly can add a bit more invention at 13.

Nowell having a bit of a mare.

If you look across the side they've largely picked established combinations, so the "unfamiliarity" excuse only goes so far.

Nowell...I'm only following on a text feed , didn't he put in a try saving (just) tackle? I would have had him as an outsider for the tests anyway but this does sound like his early performances for England where he'd mix in good defensive work with some howlers.

All in it doesn't bode well for the tests if they are struggling in this game, and would be further behind if the opposition had fielded a professional goal kicker.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Silly by Williams there!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Good punishment for the usual NH decision to kick freebies away.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

Nowell has been dire, playing himself well out of the Tests.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:04 am

Why did Henshaw kick that away?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:04 am

Midfield control has faded since Payne went off.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Cyril wrote:Why did Henshaw kick that away?

Because he's Irish. Schmidtball is when you don't have the physicality to play Warrenball and have to kick it away more often.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Williams again

Tackling in the air

YC this time

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Yellow for Williams.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Williams is such a stupid player

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

yellow for sure

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Cyril wrote:Why did Henshaw kick that away?

Because he's Irish. Schmidtball is when you don't have the physicality to play Warrenball and have to kick it away more often.
Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

What the hell is Williams doing?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next