The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13

+43
emack2
Engine#4
mikey_dragon
englandglory4ever
compelling and rich
GunsGermsV2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Barney McGrew did it
Taylorman
international198
Sgt_Pooly
alfie
Rugby Fan
Scottrf
BamBam
Exiledinborders
BigGee
kingelderfield
Pete330v2
LordDowlais
BigTrevsbigmac
owen10ozzy
eirebilly
rainbow-warrior
Gooseberry
R!skysports
LondonTiger
Hammersmith harrier
RuggerRadge2611
No 7&1/2
No9
SamTheQuin
EST
The Great Aukster
marty2086
Gwlad
yappysnap
lostinwales
RDW
robbo277
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
TightHEAD
47 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13 Empty Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13

Post by TightHEAD Sun 11 Jun 2017, 7:36 am

Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13 Highla10      Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13 Lions_10
Highlanders British & Irish Lions
13 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

18 June 2005: Otago 19 - 30 British & Irish Lions

5 June 1993: Otago 37 - 24 British & Irish Lions

8 June 1977: Otago 17 - 12 British & Irish Lions

B. TEAMS:

Highlanders 
01. Daniel Lienert-Brown
02. Liam Coltman
03. Siate Tokolahi
04. Alex Ainley
05. Jackson Hemopo
06. Gareth Evans
07. Dillon Hunt
08. Luke Whitelock (C)

09. Kayne Hammington
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Tevita Li
12. Teihorangi Walden
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Richard Buckman

16. Greg Pleasants-Tate
17. Aki Seiuli
18. Siosuia Halanukonuka
19. Josh Dickson
20. Jimmy Lentjes
21. Josh Renton
22. Marty Banks
23. Patrick Osborne

British & Irish Lions
15 Jared Payne – Ulster, Ireland, #830
14 Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828
13 Jonathan Joseph – Bath Rugby, England, #809
12 Robbie Henshaw – Leinster, Ireland, #824
11 Tommy Seymour – Glasgow Warriors, Scotland, #813
10 Dan Biggar – Ospreys, Wales, #821
9 Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820

1 Joe Marler – Harlequins, England, #811
2 Rory Best – Ulster, Ireland, #793
3 Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
4 Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
5 Iain Henderson – Ulster, Ireland, #808
6 James Haskell – Wasps, England, #823
7 Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
8 CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831

16 Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17 Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18 Dan Cole – Leicester Tigers, England, #794
19 Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
20 Justin Tipuric – Ospreys, Wales, #786
21 Greig Laidlaw – Gloucester Rugby, Scotland, #810
22 Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
23 Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822

Warbs is fit!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13 Empty Re: Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13

Post by George Carlin Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:11 am

Good joint work on the thread Tighthead. guinness
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13 Empty Re: Highlanders v British & Irish Lions, June 13

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:14 am

I'll be surprised if any more than 4 or 5 of that 23 are involved in tbe first test.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:15 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:I'll be surprised if any more than 4 or 5 of that 23 are involved in tbe first test.
Agreed but I still think that Henshaw and Joseph could make it as a combo if they both shine here.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

I'd prefer Henshaw and Joseph George, but I suspect that Gatland is pretty set on Te'o and Davies.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:37 am

I'll be surprised if any more than 4 or 5 of that 23 are involved in tbe first test.

At least 5 will have to be because there's only another 18 players in the squad.

At the very least you'll need three front rows and a lock involved here as well as a 9 and a 10 to make the test squad.

The 18 players not involved are: Mako, George, Furlong, Itoje, Kruis, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Moriarty, Faletau, Murray, Sexton, Te'o, Davies, North, Watson, Williams, Hogg, Halfpenny.

Moriarty will probably be replaced by Warburton and one of those back 3 players won't make the squad. Other than that, 16 of that 18 will probably make the test squad.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:52 am

Strange that Moriarty isn't playing and CJ is given the former hasn't played since the first game and the latter will now play 3 in a row?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 11 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

We can argue forever about the rights and wrongs, chances taken or 2nd chances needed but that does look mostly like the 2nd team.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 11 Jun 2017, 9:35 am

What's the Highlanders form like anyone?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 11 Jun 2017, 9:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Strange that Moriarty isn't playing and CJ is given the former hasn't played since the first game and the latter will now play 3 in a row?

he's injured - back

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:53 am

Gwlad wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Strange that Moriarty isn't playing and CJ is given the former hasn't played since the first game and the latter will now play 3 in a row?

he's injured - back

Thanks. Bit of a concern how much gametime some of our potential test players will have had to put in before the tests.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:58 am

yappysnap wrote:What's the Highlanders form like anyone?
It's been good, I think,

Just to put the selection in perspective, 9 of their regular players are declared unavailable because they are either injured or already allocated to another squad to play the Lions - Ben Smith and Aaron Smith are on All Blacks duty and have not been released; Elliot Dixon, Ash Dixon, Joe Wheeler, Rob Thompson and Tom Franklin are unavailable due to New Zealand Maori commitments, and Liam Squire and Matt Faddes are out due to injury.

The key All Blacks who will play are Liam Coltman, Lima Sopoaga, Malakai Fekitoa and Waisake Naholo.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 1:34 pm

Payne maybe playing for a place in the 23? With Hoggs injury and Farrell and/or Sexton likely to play it negates the need for Halfpenny

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 11 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

Can't see it Marty. Gatland will most likely go with a Welsh back three of North, Williams, Halfpenny and have Watson on the bench.
Playing Payne at 15 now is an insurance policy incase Williams or Watson get injured.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 11 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

So, the starters are the midweekers plus Webb and Warburton. Lawes and Stander might be involved though.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 6:21 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Can't see it Marty. Gatland will most likely go with a Welsh back three of North, Williams, Halfpenny and have Watson on the bench.
Playing Payne at 15 now is an insurance policy incase Williams or Watson get injured.

North I can understand but the other two are baffling, Williams has been a hindrance more than anything and Halfpenny well other than kicking he..well he....he wears a scrum cap Headscratch

Watson I wouldn't mind see play but the Welsh two if either start we're screwed

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 11 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

marty2086 wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Can't see it Marty. Gatland will most likely go with a Welsh back three of North, Williams, Halfpenny and have Watson on the bench.

North I can understand but the other two are baffling, Williams has been a hindrance more than anything and Halfpenny well other than kicking he..well he....he wears a scrum cap Headscratch

Watson I wouldn't mind see play but the Welsh two if either start we're screwed

Its either Watson/Williams or Half at 15. My preference would be Williams but he is mercurial to say the least with the tendency either to cause havoc or, as he did against CC, not to compete in the air. I think Watson has a real chance of being the Test 15 though and I think we'll see him get some game time there next weekend.

Hogg is probably done. We could always call up Brown.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

I thought the Lions would potentially lose both of the opening Super rugby games, and was really happy that they produced such a competent defensive performance so early on in the tour, agains the Crusaders.

The Highlanders team, despite being very dangerous, are probably relatively weaker in terms of their personell, due to Maori and NZ call ups. I'm hoping for a step up from the Lions here, and I think we will see a more dominant performance.

I also really hope Hogg's tour hasn't been cut short by such an unfortunate accident.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by SamTheQuin Mon 12 Jun 2017, 10:44 am

How many ABs are Highlanders missing? From the squad named it must be 6-7 or so. Pack is there for the taking but some of their backs are very dangerous. Is Faddes in the Maori squad?

SamTheQuin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Jun 2017, 1:40 pm

The Highlanders are missing a lot of quality:

Smith * 2 - nz
Dixon *2, Wheeler, Thompson & Franklin - Maori
Squire & Faddes - Injured

Just had a look at the starting pack, they are pretty lightweight, the lions pack have a real chance to get some dominance up front.

I have a feeling that Tommy Seymour is going to have a good game tomorrow.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

marty2086 wrote:Payne maybe playing for a place in the 23? With Hoggs injury and Farrell and/or Sexton likely to play it negates the need for Halfpenny

That's a big assumption... Also, neither Farrell or Sexton have the accuracy at range that Halfpenny has. Also, there is no way Hogg was holding on to the test shirt. He is great attacking option, but can be very selfish, wanting to score himself when its not on, rather than playing a team member into the gap. And his defence is woeful, so why he is being named as the Test FB beggars belief. Halfpenny or Liam Williams is the better option, and in fact, after last Saturday, I would even say Watson was a better call at FB than Hogg, and I haven't even mentioned Payne. Sorry.. Hogg just isn't a team player, and we need a team to beat the All Blacks.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:34 pm

Defensively hogg was very good. More so that halfpenny. The disappointment has been he hasn't shown the sharpness in attack we know he has.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

No9 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Payne maybe playing for a place in the 23? With Hoggs injury and Farrell and/or Sexton likely to play it negates the need for Halfpenny

That's a big assumption... Also, neither Farrell or Sexton have the accuracy at range that Halfpenny has. Also, there is no way Hogg was holding on to the test shirt. He is great attacking option, but can be very selfish, wanting to score himself when its not on, rather than playing a team member into the gap. And his defence is woeful, so why he is being named as the Test FB beggars belief. Halfpenny or Liam Williams is the better option, and in fact, after last Saturday, I would even say Watson was a better call at FB than Hogg, and I haven't even mentioned Payne. Sorry.. Hogg just isn't a team player, and we need a team to beat the All Blacks.

All the fullbacks on tour bring different things to the party, and I would agree that Hogg definitely isn't a nailed on starter - but your criticism of him seems to be very skewed/outdated. He defence isn't as good as some of those in the squad, but he isn't as bad as you are making out - he made two last ditch tackles in the first game, for example. I also don't buy the idea that he is selfisf....at least he tried to pass to Watson Wink

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Defensively hogg was very good. More so that halfpenny. The disappointment has been he hasn't shown the sharpness in attack we know he has.

To be fair all we've seen him in is the first game where everyone was guff then 19 minutes of the third game, where he had made a promising start before being taken out by his teammate!.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:53 pm

I'd still go with Hogg if we can get him back fit.

How long do stitches take to heal before playing anyway, or is there concussion too? What happened to stitching them up DURING the game and getting them back on, a la Martin Johnson for the Lions?!

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

Griff wrote:I'd still go with Hogg if we can get him back fit.  

How long do stitches take to heal before playing anyway, or is there concussion too?  What happened to stitching them up DURING the game and getting them back on, a la Martin Johnson for the Lions?!

I think he was stitched up, but the black eye was a beauty, and he failed the HIA, not surprising since his eye was swolen shut by the full time whistle.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:58 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Griff wrote:I'd still go with Hogg if we can get him back fit.  

How long do stitches take to heal before playing anyway, or is there concussion too?  What happened to stitching them up DURING the game and getting them back on, a la Martin Johnson for the Lions?!

I think he was stitched up, but the black eye was a beauty, and he failed the HIA, not surprising since his eye was swolen shut by the full time whistle.

Ah OK, didn't know about he HIA. Makes sense though. I've only really seen it in slow motion and that makes it look quite innocuous! Surprised it has led to such an injury. Would like to see more of Hogg.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:01 pm

They probably had concerns it was a fractured cheek bone or eye socket - something you can't tell immediately due to the all the swelling. Plus the fact he couldn't see out his eye...

For those not on Social media he posted a video showing Connor Murray - his roommate that night believe it or not - pleading for forgiveness!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

No9 wrote:

There's only reason why anyone would currently pick Halfpenny over Hogg and even Williams for that matter who has been terrible on tour so far.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:08 pm

Are you English or irish hammer?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:12 pm

No9 wrote:

Hogg's not missed a tackle on tour yet. Headscratch
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

Concentrating on tackle success is nowadays misleading when it comes to FBs - as they miss so many tackles.

Across 240 minutes so far the FBs have made 5 tackles and missed 1 (Hogg 2/0, 1/2p 0/1, Hogg 1/0, Watson 2/0). In every gane so far the other 6 back positions have each made more tackles than the FBs.

What will have counted against Hogg would be the two early mistakes when dealing with kicks, one dropped high ball, and then the one that went through his legs. IF the management are worried about his defence, those things merely serve to reinforce their prejudices.

Of course the last try for the Blues did not involve a missed tackle from FB as he was left on his arse before he could touch the Kiwi.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 12 Jun 2017, 4:12 pm

[quote=LondonTiger]Concentrating on tackle success is nowadays misleading when it comes to FBs - as they miss so many tackles.

Across 240 minutes so far the FBs have made 5 tackles and missed 1 (Hogg 2/0, 1/2p 0/1, Hogg 1/0, Watson 2/0). In every gane so far the other 6 back positions have each made more tackles than the FBs.

What will have counted against Hogg would be the two early mistakes when dealing with kicks, one dropped high ball, and then the one that went through his legs. IF the management are worried about his defence, those things merely serve to reinforce their prejudices.

Of course the last try for the Blues did not involve a missed tackle from FB as he was left on his arse before he could touch the Kiwi.

[/quote]

I'm not going to use that as a stick to beat halfpenny with because I'm not remotely confident that any of our Full Backs would have been positioned any better or have the gas to catch West as he powered through.

Certainly all of our fullback options have done well tackle wise and I'm presuming the dropped High ball you are refereing to for Hogg was that chip into the 22 that half of the players on the park were going for?

It's all moot right now, I just hope he recovers well enough to get another crack on this tour. Before he came off against the crusaders he got cheap shotted by Murray Whistle
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SamTheQuin Mon 12 Jun 2017, 4:57 pm

If Hogg gets ruled out of the tour who will get called up instead? Zebo, Brown or another like Kearney?

SamTheQuin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

Anscombe as he is close (geographically)?

As 1/2p, Williams, Watson and Payne all play FB for their clubs, and Daly has in the past, not sure there would be any need to call up a LFL replacement.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

Yeah, no need in my opinion. Plenty already there to do the job.

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 13 Jun 2017, 6:27 am

Hogg out - no replacement called up.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 13 Jun 2017, 6:32 am

robbo277 wrote:Hogg out - no replacement called up.
I honestly believe the chances of us winning any test has now reduced as a result of this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:08 am

Gutted for Hogg.

Gutted for the lions

Gutted for our chances of winning

And gutted for Hogg again to silence some critics up by playing on a level playing field.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:36 am

Hogg out is a gutter.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:46 am

People moan about the Lions not picking many Scotish players, cant see any in the Highlands team at all. Hardly representative is it.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:47 am

robbo277 wrote:Hogg out - no replacement called up.

Mike Browns toys no doubt litter the streets of Argentina

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:50 am

Gooseberry wrote:People moan about the Lions not picking many Scotish players, cant see any in the Highlands team at all. Hardly representative is it.

Are you for real? Otago / Southland have a real proud Scottish history which is not shown with the English, Irish nor the Welsh.

No haka tonight but there will be something Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:59 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:People moan about the Lions not picking many Scotish players, cant see any in the Highlands team at all. Hardly representative is it.

Are you for real?  Otago / Southland have a real proud Scottish history which is not shown with the English, Irish nor the Welsh.

No haka tonight but there will be something Smile

I'm fairly confident he's joking. For those that don't know Dunedin is an ancient name for Edinburgh and a lot of the streets are named after Edinburgh streets!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:08 am

Morning all, looking forward to a good game today. Really gutted for Hogg.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

I have missed something, what happened to Henshaw, why is Sexton at 10 (4th game in a row) and Farrell at 12?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:30 am

Ignore me, I was watching Sky's build-up to the test, not todays match...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:36 am

Right lads detailed updates would be appreciated as I can only listen online!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:41 am

Nice to see officials ignoring things, literally under their nose, from early on

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:42 am

Highlanders on attack early in the game. Lions have given away a few penalties but the Highlanders opting to play on, only a magnificent tackle from Payne close to the lines stops the Highlanders from scoring and then Henshaw (who's attempted kick gave the Higlanders possession) makes a great tackle to stop the Highlanders attack. Too many infringements leads to the Highlanders taking the 3 point option.

Highlanders 3 - 0 Lions after 7mins
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next