The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

+24
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
Sin é
Sgt_Pooly
stnick88
Scottrf
HongKongCherry
Rory_Gallagher
Stone Motif
formerly known as Sam
Fiddler
Bathite
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
ScarletSpiderman
wayne
Welly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Geordie
The Great Aukster
toml
SirBurger
LondonTiger
beshocked
28 posters

Go down

If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why? Empty If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

Just for a bit of fun.

For Saracens I'd pick.

1.Richard Hill - need I say more? One of the greatest flankers of all time.
2.Kyran Bracken - Marshall will perhaps go down as the more accomplished 9 but Bracken was obviously more of a club stalwart.
3.Phillippe Sella - didn't play for Saracens for long but still.....

Who would you pick?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why? Empty Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by LondonTiger Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

Martin Johnson, Dean Richards, Geordan Murphy.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why? Empty Re: If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why?

Post by SirBurger Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:58 am

At their absolute peak: George Skivington (Kennedy and Bob were longer-serving but Skivington was incredible for us for a short period of time and would work very nicely alongside Seb); Chris Hala'Ufia (haters gonna hate, but the toughest player the club has ever had); Jonathan Joseph (preferred Mapusua as a player, but we are ok for 12s. Crying out for a 13 that can inject some spark into a backline).

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:39 pm

For Ulster I would argue our greatest ever 3 players are Jack Kyle, Willie John McBride and Mike Gibson. I would have Ferris put in the current side rather than Kyle though.

1. Willie John McBride. Arguably the greatest leader of them all and we need some leadership on and off the field.

2. Mike Gibson - we have plenty of talent in our bacline but we need someone to unlock it.

3. Stephen Ferris - our pack is buttery soft at the moment but Stevie is as hard as nails

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:41 pm

toml wrote:For Ulster I would argue our greatest ever 3 players are Jack Kyle, Willie John McBride and Mike Gibson. I would have Ferris put in the current side rather than Kyle though.

1. Willie John McBride. Arguably the greatest leader of them all and we need some leadership on and off the field.

2. Mike Gibson - we have plenty of talent in our bacline but we need someone to unlock it.

3. Stephen Ferris - our pack is buttery soft at the moment but Stevie is as hard as nails

McBride is tiny by modern standards for a lock, and Muller has good leadership qualities so it would have to be him.
Gibson for all his silky skills and instinctive talent didn't play in the modern era so he might not make the difference hoped for - I'd pick Ruan Pienaar instead.
Ferris I agree with, but I'd definitely play him at 8 to maximise his influence on the game.

Muller, Ferris, Pienaar - a leader at lock, a monster in the backrow, and a general at 9 those are the exact additions that Ulster need to the current team.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm

Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment (ie pat lam, Matt Burke, inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

So I have to pick players in positions we NEED

1. Johnny Wilkinson (FH) for obvious reasons.
2. Carl Hayman (TH prop) best prop I've ever seen!
3. Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Imagine that front row row Sgt!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:11 am

It's tricky for the Crusaders, this year's team is unbeaten through 13 matches & strong right across the pitch - arguably the best club side on the planet currently*, but of course a couple of GOATs can be slotted in
1) Dan Carter - Mo'unga is developing nicely but ...
2) Richie McCaw again, Matt Todd is a handy player & will likely make the AB's squad next week, but ...
3) Kahn Fotuali'i - Justin Marshall would be another option, but I'd rather have Kahn's zip over Marshall's muscle.

Honourable mentions - Nemani Nadolo, Brad Thorn, Aaron Mauger, Richard Low, Greg Somerville - the first 3 in positions where there's pretty handy players currently, the latter 2 would be benching behind Franks. And of course Reuben Thorne - purely because the team hasn't one a title since he retired and invalidated the "Reuben Thorne Reuben Thorne Reuben Thorne ..." victory chant

*Hurricanes fans may argue
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:19 am

Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Another player I would love to have back in there prime is.
Alex Tuilagi - In his prime IMO the most destructive winger in the NH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

3 Players that would have made a significant impact to the Ospreys this season, would have been the Gavin Henson of the 2005 to 2008 era, the Shane Williams of his entire Osprey career and the same for Filo Tiatia, whose ethics totally underpinned our existence in his time with us. Honourable mentions also have to be Ryan, Duncan and Adam Jones along with the likes of Justin Marshall and Lee Byrne and the first season of Jerry Collins.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:38 am

Scott Quinnell - a big solid ball carrier, with hands, and an interesting character too.  Chris Wyatt - same as Scott.  Steve Jones - pretty much sums up what being a Scarlet is about. Honourable mention Sal Finau, and Simon Easterby, two true legends of the region, but I am not too sure either of them would fit in with the current squad, or playing style as much as the other three.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:23 pm

Hmmm, not so easy for Edinburgh has we are a new outfit and haven't exactly been graced with any all time greats.

Mine would be:

Nathan Hines
Mike Blair
Chris Paterson

Simon Taylor is unlucky, but his injury record means he misses out. Scott Murray also unlucky.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 02 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

No Todd Blackadder FES? Definitely agree on Blair and Hines

Tough to leave out Alan Jacobsen, just because he was a legend and more rugby players should look like this:
If you could pick 3 of your best players from your history and put them back into your team. Who would you pick and why? Pa-15066129

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 02 Jun 2017, 1:46 pm

Blackadder was a great leader but as a player I'd take both Hines and Murray ahead of him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 02 Jun 2017, 7:01 pm

Difficult one! I'd probably go for Grewcock in the second row, for his leadership and pure aggression. Stevens at tighthead, for his athleticism, carrying, workrate and was really solid at scrum time. Butch James for his playmaking and audacity (but his goal kicking was even worse than Fords, so would need Homer to kick from FB)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:39 am

Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Rod Snow: Fecking prop legend.
Jason Forster: Nails, and fecking legend.
Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

Turkeys: too long to list Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiddler Sun 04 Jun 2017, 8:00 pm

If you take Ospreys from 2003 it would be Filo Tiatia Ryan Jones and Shane Williams. Maybe Henson and Marshall at their best.

Fiddler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 04 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiddler Sun 04 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

Rabini at his peak was a beast. I still think you miss Thomas Waldron and Parling.

Fiddler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

Fiddler wrote:Rabini at his peak was a beast. I still think you miss Thomas Waldron and Parling.

Waldrom nah. He never really worked in our style of play.

Parling was great for us but Kitchener is a good lineout general and is more physical so we're coping there. If I was bringing back a lineout general from history then it'd be Kay. Richards, Henry Tuilagi and Corry would all be preferable at 8 to Waldrom in my view as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:23 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote: Tigers is tough to but agree with LondonTiger Mutphy, Johnson and Richards would walk back into this team.

Hard to argue with LT's reasoning. Alex was always a beast but at the minute Rabeni would be more useful as you could have him in the centre as well where we are currently a bit short. He was brutally physical and could offload as well as being an absolute gent.

Given our signing for 10 next season perhaps the unbelievably prolific Dusty Hare might be a shout over Geordan. Our points kicking would be in safe hands.

I'm assuming Toomua and Manu would be fit.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:58 pm

Welly wrote:

I'm assuming Toomua and Manu would be fit.

Big assumption. I tend to think practically and that's my current concerns in the backline largely fixed by one player.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Aled Brew: during his 1st and longest (I think) spell with us. Prolific and got the crowd going. Top try scorer for a few seasons on the trot. Getting a new lease of life now at Bath some 10 years or so on.

Honourable mentions: Percy Mongomery (class); Taulupe Faletau (class); Kevin Morgan (class).

I'd have had Charvis for Forster and Clarteris for Snowy.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:15 pm

Fiddler wrote:If you take Ospreys from 2003 it would be Filo Tiatia Ryan Jones and Shane Williams. Maybe Henson and Marshall at their best.

Mates for Life one and all
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiddler Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

Forget players I just wish we could go back to 2008 when Lyn was sacked and clear out the whole coaching staff. They blew a huge opportunity when we were relatively financially competitive.

Fiddler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:39 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:Gwent Dragons Shocked No, seriously! But a short history (since 2003):

Each to their own! Charvis was good. Charteris took many many seasons to come into his own. Remember when he used to call the lineout, but never to himself! Rumours in the crowd for a few seasons that he suffered from vertigo and didn't like to jump! And remember his time out for a bad toe?! Seemed to be a whole season if memory serves! I just don't remember him having too many good seasons overall for the length of time he was there (some 10 years?).

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:25 am

Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Each to their own! Charvis was good. Charteris took many many seasons to come into his own. Remember when he used to call the lineout, but never to himself! Rumours in the crowd for a few seasons that he suffered from vertigo and didn't like to jump! And remember his time out for a bad toe?! Seemed to be a whole season if memory serves! I just don't remember him having too many good seasons overall for the length of time he was there (some 10 years?).

Yeah but now...we could do with those 20 stones. Think of the player he'd have been if we'd convinced him to bulk up a bit earlier. Phenomenal engine.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:46 am

Ruan Pienaar Sad
Johann Muller
Stephen Ferris

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:59 am

To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm

Tonga'uiha
Mujati
Picamoles

I miss that front row, we desperately need an improved scrum and the carrying Tiny and Louis provide.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:09 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.

One of my favourite players of all time and one of Englands best ever...just tragic that he played so few for England.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:11 pm

Frightening to think the Tigers had BOTH of them rampaging causing chaos!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm

We certainly did GF. Ellis, Goode, Rabeni, Smith, Hipkiss, Murphy. What a backline with Varndell to rotate in. Really am hoping we can grab a big PI unit to help give us some of that midfield bosh we've been missing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 06 Jun 2017, 12:42 am

Big PI unit to give some midfield bosh......don't think Tuilagi will ever be fit again then? (Genuine question)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Jun 2017, 7:32 am

Bathite wrote:Big PI unit to give some midfield bosh......don't think Tuilagi will ever be fit again then? (Genuine question)

We're far to reliant on Manu for backline physicality. If he's not fit then it's up to Smith who has an ongoing back problem.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 06 Jun 2017, 9:29 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:To improve the team, Mike Burton, Ian Jones and Mike Teague, but for sheer entertainment I'd want Simpson-Daniel back, a mercurial genius.

One of my favourite players of all time and one of Englands best ever...just tragic that he played so few for England.

Couldn't agree more Geordie. Mike Ford stated a few years ago he was the driving force behind Sinbad's lack of opportunity at international level due to his defence; he said in hindsight it was the wrong decision as his attacking ability far out-weighed his defensive frailty (not that it was that bad). It didn't help that the timings of his injuries couldn't be any worse!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Thu 08 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

Mapusua without doubt, most consistent AP centre for years.
Nick Kennedy would work well with De Chaves at lock.
One of the Armitage brothers, probably Delon. or Mike Catt.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment  (ie pat lam, Matt Burke,  inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

3.  Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Would certainly be an improvent on our recent efforts. I'd be happy with Lockwood alongside Hayman (I think I would look decent with Hayman at TH) and trade Popplewell for Matt Burke Smile

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

Munster
1. Ronan O'Gara
2. David Wallace
3. Paul O'Connell

I'd be happy with what we have if we could have Axel back in any shape or form.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

Ferris
Pienaer

Ferris and Pienaer are the 2 truly world class players in the Professional era

Third one is tricky but on the basis we are short of a lock and a leader then Muller

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:57 pm

For Ulster:

Stevie F, 1F and Stephen Ferris. An honourable mention going to Fez of course.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 Jun 2017, 9:37 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons is a tricky one...as my favorite ever falcons players aren't in positions i actually think we need at the moment  (ie pat lam, Matt Burke,  inga tuigamala, Gary Armstrong....) though I have picked big Carl!

3.  Nick popplewell (LH Prop) tough Irish and Lions prop

Would certainly be an improvent on our recent efforts. I'd be happy with Lockwood alongside Hayman (I think I would look decent with Hayman at TH) and trade Popplewell for Matt Burke Smile

Big call on Lockwood there Sgt! I hope your right.....

But yes Burke was simply as good as they get!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:36 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Ferris
Pienaer

Ferris and Pienaer are the 2 truly world class players in the Professional era

Third one is tricky but on the basis we are short of a lock and a leader then Muller

I keep thinking it would be nice to have a reliable TH too, maybe throw BJ with Ferris and Ruan

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri 09 Jun 2017, 5:42 pm

Phil Blakeway, Mike Teague and JSD.

I am told Mike Burton was great but he retired just before I moved to Gloucestershire so I never saw him play in the flesh.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 17 Jun 2017, 7:10 pm

Would have to say Percy, Taulupe and Snow; although Charvis was another excellent signing for us.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 17 Jun 2017, 7:23 pm

From what I've seen, it would have to be Brew, Taulupe and Nigel Hall (to stay fit). I've only been a Dragons fan since 2009 and Hall has been our best young enough scrummaging tighthead. Of course, if I could sign somebody and roll back his years a bit, I'd pick Duncan Bell though. What an impact he made.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Jun 2017, 8:29 pm

RiscaGame wrote:From what I've seen, it would have to be Brew, Taulupe and Nigel Hall (to stay fit). I've only been a Dragons fan since 2009 and Hall has been our best young enough scrummaging tighthead. Of course, if I could sign somebody and roll back his years a bit, I'd pick Duncan Bell though. What an impact he made.

Nigel Hall?! That's a bit left field, Risca! Not sure he was even on my radar as a player. Can't really remember him too well!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 19 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Genuinely did think our scrum was better with him in it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down