The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick?

+15
BigGee
king_carlos
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Soul Requiem
Cumbrian
doctor_grey
RiscaGame
Poorfour
westisbest
No 7&1/2
nlpnlp
Hazel Sapling
Maine man
Old Man
Mr Bounce
19 posters

Go down

Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick? Empty Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick?

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 22 Oct 2021, 6:16 pm

Ok - a bit a fun here as we build up to the Autumn Internationals. Put together a XV that is comprised of your favourite International players to play for the country you support.

The rules:

Let's use a cut off point from 2000. Any International player from 2000 onwards is eligible, be they retired, injured or still playing.

They MUST have been selected in that position for their country, so for example you cannot select Joe Launchbury as a 6 to shoehorn him in to your XV, but Maro Itoje would be fine at 6. Alex Dombrant only has 1 cap so far, so can only selected at No.8, as that's where he's played.

This is NOT about talent. It's about who were/are your favourite players in that position regardless of how good they may be. So for example you could select Paul Griffen for Italy (if you support them!) at 9 simply because of his epic sideburns.

We should see some very interesting teams; some could be awful and some might be epic. Enjoy!

Here's mine (I support England, and I know it is Wasps-centric):

1. Jason Funbus Leonard (the best barrel chest in the world!)
2. Phil Greening (I was fascinated that his ear never fell off as it always seemed barely attached)
3. Phil Vickery (The big man will never retire!)
4. Courtney Lawes (it's the big hits - how he can totally "end" a fly half)
5. Joe Launchbury (does all the unseen stuff plus he went to my school)
6. Lawrence Dallaglio (in his early days - with hair! My mate met him at Uni, thought he was a bit thick!)
7. Tom Curry (genuinely think he can do it all. My favourite current player)
8. Ben Morgan (always had a soft spot for the big guy. Love watching him on a rampage)
9. Joe Simpson(never got his chance properly as Care & Youngs were always there - his 20 minute cameo will have to do!)
10. Danny Cipriani (I know he's a Marmite character) but some of his plays were amazing.
11. Jason Robinson (something from nothing, nearly every game. Brilliant!)
12. Manu Tuilagi (such power - I know he's almost always broken and not really a 12, but come on!)
13. Will Greenwood (such a good rugby brain, great player and one of the nicest rugby guys I have met)
14. Christian Wade (so unlucky to not get more caps. Fabulous to watch).
15. Josh Lewsey (100% commitment every game. Such a tough player!)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick? Empty Re: Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick?

Post by Old Man Fri 22 Oct 2021, 6:37 pm

Beast
Schalk Brits
Adrian Garvey
Bakkies Botha
Danie Rossouw
Juan Smith
PSDT
Vermeulen
Ruan Pienaar
Henry Honiball
Habana
Andre Snyman
Jaque Fourie
Kolbe
Percy

It is actually quite difficult to pick your favourite 15.

If you ask me tomorrow I will probably pick a different team

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick? Empty Re: Your Favourite Players XV - Who Do You Pick?

Post by Maine man Fri 22 Oct 2021, 7:13 pm

15 Murphy
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Henderson
11 Hickie
10 Humphreys
9 Stringer
8 O'Brien (I'm sure he had a game or two there)
7 Wallace
6 Ferris
5 O'Connell
4 Henderson
3 Furlong
2 Wood
1 Horan

I'd pay serious money to see that team

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Oct 2021, 7:21 pm

Modern list as I only really started watching from 2006 and Scotland's improvement since 2013 is huge. Probably forgot a couple of players

Gordon Reid - asked him for a photo after a game and he was lovely. Genuine bloke
Ross Ford - A good player in a bad era of Scotland rugby
WP Nel - One of the players who helped turn Scotland around. Never got the credit he deserved for his scrummaging and at 35 is still an excellent TH
Jim Hamilton - Enjoy his podcast and excellent at the lineout. Whilst he always committed a stupid penalty, he provided a huge amount of niggle to the opposition
Nathan Hines - Love the video of him at Clermont holding or sitting on 4 or 5 opposition players at the try line.
John Barclay - Outspoken but an excellent player. Part of the killer B's and was a good captain
Hamish Watson - Human wrecking ball
Josh Strauss - Never really made it at international level but was highly influential at Glasgow. Great beard on him

Greig Laidlaw - had his flaws but really looked after Russell early on
Finn Russell - by far the most creative 10 in the Six Nations for the last decade, maybe even the professional era.
Tommy Seymour - deserved a shot in the 2017 Lions tour on the wing and was part of the generation to restore Scotland to competitiveness
Alex Dunbar - would have been a Lion if he had not torn his ACL twice. Defensively solid, decent hands, hard carrier.
Huw Jones - Big fan of him at 13, on form can score tries for fun. Last year he more or less carried the entire Glasgow attacking threat in his hands
Sean Maitland - part of an excellent back 3 at Glasgow and does everything skilfully. You just know with him on the pitch, his position is covered
Ruaridh Jackson - Hogg probably deserves it on playing style but I always felt he got a bit of a raw deal as being the saviour a bit too young and not staying healthy enough for Quins to take the starting jersey. Great moustache

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Sat 23 Oct 2021, 12:09 am

1. Paul Rendall – aka ‘The Judge’.  Got his first International cap age 30, then played a further 7 years.  An outstanding scrumager and every rugby team needs a judge.
2. Brian Moore – aka ‘Bulldog’.  Could wind a French prop up at 200 paces, (plus I played against him at university).
3. Jeff Probyn –  a real tough call to leave out Jason ‘TheFunBus’ Leonard.  But Mickey Skinner said of JP after Le Crunch 1991 “Probs was doing his one-man demolition job. He would take punches at every scrum, took it left, right and centre, took it for the team … and not once did he flinch.”
4. Wade Dooley – 6’ 8” of Blackpool’s finest beef.  An officer of the law, who was never averse to a frank exchange of views – Battle of Cardiff, Battle of Ballymore, etc (plus I played against him at club level).
5. Maurice Colclough – if you don’t know who his is, google the man, the myth, the legend.  Went on both the 1980 and 1983 Lions tours playing in all four internationals each tour.  Was equally adept off the pitch as on it.
6. Mickey Skinner – aka ‘The munch’ for his destructive and possibly game winning tackle on Marc Cecillon in the 1991 World Cup.  If you haven’t seen it, google it.
7. Peter Winterbottom – quite comfortably the best openside to ever play for England.  Played with distinction in New Zealand and South Africa (also played rugby at school with my brother).
8. Mike Teague – a giant for Gloucester and England.  The Lions were spanked in the first test in 1989 when Teague couldn’t play due to a long running shoulder injury.  Came back for the second test and playing with one shoulder helped the Lions win that and the third test.  Despite playing just two of the matches was voted player of the series.
9. Mike Phillips – I couldn’t find an English candidate and whilst Mike wasn’t always the favourite for Welsh fans, he was a forwards no9 and was immense for the Lions in South Africa in 2009.
10. Jonny Wilkinson – if only for that drop goal.
11. Chris Oti – hat trick hero of 1988.  The second black player to play for England after James Peters more than 80 years earlier.  Made a massive impact in lifting English rugby with that hat trick and was the fore runner for many great players to come.
12. Mike Tindall – under appreciated but an instrumental part of the 2003 team.  More famous for his royal connections these days.
13. Will Greenwood – the prince of centres and still never been replaced by England.
14. Steve Hanley – 6’4” and 16 st.  Played 1 test against Wales and scored 1 try.  6th on the all time Premiership try scoring list.  Should have played many more times for England, other than for SCW didn’t like him.
15. Josh Lewsey – another of the 2003 World Cup Winners.  Never took a step backwards and taught the likes of Mat Rogers and Danny Cipriani a lesson or two.

I can’t believe that I picked a team without the likes of Jason Leonard, Martin Johnson, Steve Bainbridge, Ben Clarke, etc.  I found it much harder to pick the forwards than the backs.  I assume this reflects the fact that I was a forward and understand the beast more than the beauty.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

If we’re talking favourite rather than best then I might go for something like…..

1. Gethin Jenkins - like a prop/back row hybrid
2. Robyn McBride - just because he won a Welsh strongman competition!
3. Adam Jones - what a prop should look like.
4. Ian Gough - local lad.
5. Chris Wyatt - the one man riot. Need I say more!
6. Dan Lydiate - ‘the White Samoan’. Although not sure you can say that these days.
7. Jason Forster - favourite Newport/Dragons player but sadly only one cap. Hard as nails.
8. Scott Quinnell - our very own fun bus!
9. Mike Phillips - spikey Mikey. A menace.
10. Neil Jenkins - golden boot!
11. Shane Williams - my favourite player. Just entertaining and got me out of my seat every game.
12. Scott Gibbs - just loved his direct running.
13. Tom Shanklin - seems like a good laugh. Met him a few times.
14. George North - at last we had a back who didn’t get run over by the opposition! Well, not as much.
15. Kevin Morgan - struggled to think of a favourite so he’s in as a Dragons player in his latter years and also for scoring that lovely try (while being a Dragons player at the time) to seal the 6N grandslam and title v Ireland in 2005. Best rugby day ever for me that day Smile

Very difficult to do. In recent years the players have all got a bit serious and too professional. Struggled to think of any ‘characters’ in some positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 23 Oct 2021, 9:36 am

nlpnlp wrote:1. Paul Rendall – aka ‘The Judge’.  Got his first International cap age 30, then played a further 7 years.  An outstanding scrumager and every rugby team needs a judge.
2. Brian Moore – aka ‘Bulldog’.  Could wind a French prop up at 200 paces, (plus I played against him at university).
3. Jeff Probyn –  a real tough call to leave out Jason ‘TheFunBus’ Leonard.  But Mickey Skinner said of JP after Le Crunch 1991 “Probs was doing his one-man demolition job. He would take punches at every scrum, took it left, right and centre, took it for the team … and not once did he flinch.”
4. Wade Dooley – 6’ 8” of Blackpool’s finest beef.  An officer of the law, who was never averse to a frank exchange of views – Battle of Cardiff, Battle of Ballymore, etc (plus I played against him at club level).
5. Maurice Colclough – if you don’t know who his is, google the man, the myth, the legend.  Went on both the 1980 and 1983 Lions tours playing in all four internationals each tour.  Was equally adept off the pitch as on it.
6. Mickey Skinner – aka ‘The munch’ for his destructive and possibly game winning tackle on Marc Cecillon in the 1991 World Cup.  If you haven’t seen it, google it.
7. Peter Winterbottom – quite comfortably the best openside to ever play for England.  Played with distinction in New Zealand and South Africa (also played rugby at school with my brother).
8. Mike Teague – a giant for Gloucester and England.  The Lions were spanked in the first test in 1989 when Teague couldn’t play due to a long running shoulder injury.  Came back for the second test and playing with one shoulder helped the Lions win that and the third test.  Despite playing just two of the matches was voted player of the series.
9. Mike Phillips – I couldn’t find an English candidate and whilst Mike wasn’t always the favourite for Welsh fans, he was a forwards no9 and was immense for the Lions in South Africa in 2009.
10. Jonny Wilkinson – if only for that drop goal.
11. Chris Oti – hat trick hero of 1988.  The second black player to play for England after James Peters more than 80 years earlier.  Made a massive impact in lifting English rugby with that hat trick and was the fore runner for many great players to come.
12. Mike Tindall – under appreciated but an instrumental part of the 2003 team.  More famous for his royal connections these days.
13. Will Greenwood – the prince of centres and still never been replaced by England.
14. Steve Hanley – 6’4” and 16 st.  Played 1 test against Wales and scored 1 try.  6th on the all time Premiership try scoring list.  Should have played many more times for England, other than for SCW didn’t like him.
15. Josh Lewsey – another of the 2003 World Cup Winners.  Never took a step backwards and taught the likes of Mat Rogers and Danny Cipriani a lesson or two.

I can’t believe that I picked a team without the likes of Jason Leonard, Martin Johnson, Steve Bainbridge, Ben Clarke, etc.  I found it much harder to pick the forwards than the backs.  I assume this reflects the fact that I was a forward and understand the beast more than the beauty.

Some of them are possibly pushing the year 2000 cut off like.

No 7&1/2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 23 Oct 2021, 9:49 am

Marler. Brings colour a touch of flamboyance and great scrummaging. Always looks like he's having fun. And winds Haskell up.

Thompson. Just enjoyed watching him play.

Sinckler. Great player in the tight, really underrated and his passing and holding defenders...great to watch.

Launchbury. Don't think I've ever mentioned I'm a fan?

Parling. He comes from round the corner from where I grew up.

Croft. He just made things look easy. How fast was the guy.

Curry. Just what I want in a 7.

Morgan. Classy player. But for injuries he'd still be an England player surely?

Harry Ellis. Just something about him.

Wilkinson. Can't really leave him out can you?

May. Yes he's got a dodgy nose but so exciting to watch.

Flutey. Man the guy was good. Not a huge selection to choose from like.

Tuilagi. When he plays he's pretty much unstoppable. It's always nice to see when a player is equally adept as going around and over someone.

Wade. Special player ball in hand. Yes defensively a little wanting but if only Gatalnd hadn't called him up then ignored him for the Lions.

Armitage. Again he didn't have any weaknesses. Didn't have a heart attack when the ball was in the air. Great attacker. Monster boot.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 23 Oct 2021, 10:58 am

1 Peter Clohessy
2 Shane Byrne
3 Paul Wallace
4 Donnacha O’Callaghan
5 Malcolm O’Kelly
6 Simon Easterby
7 Kieran Dawson
8 Jamie Heaslip
9 Peter Stringer
10 David Humphreys
11 Denis Hickie
12 Kevin Maggs
13 Rob Henderson (think he had one or two caps there when BOD out)
14 Justin Bishop
15 Girvan Dempsey

westisbest

thebandwagonsociety likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Oct 2021, 11:32 am

Woodcock - 2011 RWC
Mealamu - humble
Hayman - lump
Whitelock - tall
Retallick - handsome
Collins - hard as nails
McCaw - goat
Kaino - hard as nails
A. Smith - cheeky
Carter - best ever
C. Smith - steady
Nonu - unstoppable
Howlett - finesse
Rokocoko - flying
Cullen - magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 23 Oct 2021, 2:01 pm

1. Joe Marler
2. Keith Wood
3. Jason Leonard
4. Martin Johnson
5. Olly Kohn (I know this is a totally unbalanced second row, but I don't care)
6. Richard Hill
7. Chris Robshaw
8. Alex Dombrandt (it would have been Jack Clifford, but not sure he ever got to play 8 for England)
9. Danny Care
10. Tough call between Wilko, Smith and Nick Evans, but I think Evans gets it for now
11. Ben Cohen
12. Will Greenwood
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Joe Marchant
15. Mike Brown

Totally biased towards Quins, but I am lucky enough that many of my favourite players have played for them.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 23 Oct 2021, 2:19 pm

There's some frighteningly good looking teams here - and a lot of highly amusing rule-bending. Can't say I remember Keith Wood packing down at 2 for England...

And Poorfour, Jack Clifford started at 8 for England vs Wales in the Summer match. He scored *that* breakaway try where there was "no knock-on". He outpaced Scott Williams like Williams was an Under 15s prop.

Mr Bounce

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 23 Oct 2021, 2:42 pm

Ok, modifying it a bit to stick to England players

Poorfour wrote:1. Joe Marler
2. Steve Thompson
3. Jason Leonard
4. Martin Johnson
5. George Kruis (I'd take Johnson over Itoje at 4 - just - and Kruis over Kay by a similarly slim margin)
6. Richard Hill
7. Chris Robshaw
8. Jack Clifford
9. Danny Care
10. Marcus Smith
11. Ben Cohen
12. Will Greenwood
13. I think Guscott just squeaks over the line
14. Joe Marchant
15. Mike Brown
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Oct 2021, 3:36 pm

Gethin Jenkins
Lloyd Burns (I was so happy when he was involved in 2011. Also helped break the cycle a little of Dragons players not getting selected).
Adam Jones
AWJ
Andrew Coombs (same as Burns really. Great story with how hard he had to work, to gain even a pro contract)
Colin Charvis
Sam Warburton
Taulupe Faletau
Mike Phillips
Stephen Jones (would’ve been Jason Tovey Wink)
Shane (though I really want to pick Aled Brew)
Scott Gibbs
Allan Bateman (both centres just squeeze in the year limit)
George North
Lee Byrne

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Oct 2021, 3:38 pm

I feel dirty for not selecting Super Gav though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 23 Oct 2021, 4:03 pm

Just for a glimpse of Charlotte Church in the crowd. I forgot Tom Palmer too. He was a bright spark in a dire pack when he appeared.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Oct 2021, 12:52 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Ok - a bit a fun here as we build up to the Autumn Internationals. Put together a XV that is comprised of your favourite International players to play for the country you support.
What happens if I support the sovereign nation of Barbarians???

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 25 Oct 2021, 10:22 am

I picked some of them because of the hope and expectation they generated when they were coming through. Guys like Ford, Itoje and Youngs made me excited about rugby again. I well remember the 2007 World Cup team. They were a bunch of pensioners with seemingly nothing on the horizon. The in the early 2010s we had a good generation of players come through together, it felt like things were finally turning a corner.

01. Joe Marler
02. Steve Thompson
03. Phil Vickery
04. Maro Itoje
05. Simon Shaw (In another era he would have had many more caps)
06. Mark Wilson (Cumbrian lad)
07. Richard Hill (Surely doesn't require explanation)
08. Nick Easter (Easter made the most of a talent, we wanted somebody more explosive at the time, but he was a classy player)

09. Ben Youngs (I know it isn't fashionable to like him, but I remember how bare the cupboard was when he came through, it felt like was going to be game changing)
10. George Ford (Same as Youngs and Itoje, you could see he was going to be a special talent in the U20s)

11. Mark Cueto (Cumbrian lad)
12. Will Greenwood (England have still never replaced him)
13. Manu Tuilagi
14. Jason Robinson
15. Delon Armitage (very marmite, but I loved having him in my team)

It is slightly difficult because certain positions have been locked up for so long that is difficult to remember a different face in the position (without naming the entire 2003 team). As others have said, I could probably pick another team entirely. Leaving aside the 2003 team, I could have put Foden or Brown, in the back three very easily. I liked Andew Sheridan in the frontrow.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 25 Oct 2021, 1:34 pm

This has also made me think about the "what might have been" XV - players who had huge potential but for whatever reason (a lot of them tragic) never got to fulfil it. I don't have candidates for all the positions, but there's the start of a side here...

1. Alex Corbisiero
2. Rob Buchanan (won the Premiership in his first season but nerve damage from a torn pectoral muscle ended his career)
3. Matt Hampson
6. Tom Croft (achieved a lot - but what could he have been if he'd not run head first into Nick Easter?)
7. Tom Rees
8. Jack Clifford
9. Nick Duncombe
10. Danny Cipriani (though the temptation is to wonder what Wilkinson might have achieved if he hadn't lost nearly 4 years to injury)
12. Jordan Turner-Hall (there are probably better candidates, but by the time he was picked for England he already had the hip problem that would end his career)
13. George Lowe
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 25 Oct 2021, 1:57 pm

Surely Mr Injury himself, James Simpson-Daniel should go at 11 or 14?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 25 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Surely Mr Injury himself, James Simpson-Daniel should go at 11 or 14?

That's a good shout. I never really saw what the fuss was about - but then I never really saw him at International level because of his uncanny knack of getting injured when selected.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 25 Oct 2021, 2:52 pm

14 Wade? That great debut for England where him and Ben Morgan were a step up from everyone else on the field. The Lions call up to play midweek with no training time, then never got another chance (bit of injuries hitting at the wrong time and emergence of others from memory).

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 25 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

1. Corbisiero (Back in the day of the hit his dismantling of Tom Court was a real highlight)
2. Thompson
3. Cole
4. Lawes (I'm guessing Plisson can still feel that hit)
5. Shaw (all about the power)
6. Hill
7. Curry
8. Dallaglio

9. Bracken
10. Wilkinson (Has to be)
11. Robinson (The most exciting player i've ever seen)
12. Greenwood (Back in 2003 I wouldn't have had him down as the irreplaceable one, always seemed to do the right thing)
13. Tuilagi
14. May
15. Brown (always enjoyed his confrontational side)

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 25 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

Nice, I like this idea so I’ll have a crack at a Scotland team. Nowhere near our best, but players I liked for various reasons:

1. Chunk (Allan Jacobsen) - Edinburgh legend, supreme athlete
2. Stuart McInally - his Rambo nickname annoys Jimbo
3. WP Nel - may have been born and raised in SA, but he’s a Scot through and through. You try and tell him otherwise!
4. Ben Toolis - constantly underrated and much better than he gets credit for, which makes me like him
5. Nathan Hines - a bright light through some pretty dark days
6. Jason White - a nutter in defence
7. Hamish Watson - a nutter in attack
8. Ally Hogg - classy player who should’ve stayed in the team longer than he did
9. Mike Blair - we’ve been blessed with some good ones, but no question about this for me!
10. Finn Russel - was tempted to pick Phil Godman for the lols, but couldn’t ignore Finners batsh!t craziness. Like Gordon Ross too, he bought me a drink on my birthday in a Leeds nightclub once!
11. Thom Evans - what a loss to the sport Crying or Very sad
12. Nick De Luca - for all the amusing posts any time he got selected. Not so much for all the times he dropped a rugby ball
13. Marcus di Rollo - loved the orange gloves, entertained me that he could be an international rugby player, always made me feel like anyone had a chance!
14. Simon Webster - nice bloke and had a very shiny head
15. Chris Paterson - no brainer, legend

Glad to see there is no Edinburgh bias here Wink

TheMildlyFranticLlama

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 25 Oct 2021, 10:30 pm

1.Andy Sheridan
2.Jamie George
3.Phil Vickery
4.Martin Johnson
5.Maro Itoje
6.Tom Croft
7.Tom Curry
8.Richard Hill

9.Harry Ellis
10.Jonny Wilkinson

11.Elliot Daly
12.Manu Tuilagi
13.Will Greenwood
14.Jason Robinson
15.Josh Lewsey

I think Andy Sheridan is probably my favourite pick in the spirit of the XV. A flawed player but a very fun one as well.

Heinously unbalanced back row but they are my 3 favourites to watch which is what this is for!

I just want to see 7.5s response with Daly to be completely honest. James Simpson-Daniel is actually my pick at 11 if being serious.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Oct 2021, 10:49 pm

1. Iain Mclaughlan
2. Colin Deans
3. Iain Milne
4. Gordon Brown
5. Johnny Gray
6. John Jeffrey
7. Finlay Calder
8. John Beattie Snr
9. Gary Armstrong
10. John Rutherford
11. Roger Baird
12. Jim Renwick
13. Chris Harris
14. Andy Irvine - could not leave him out!
15. Stuart Hogg

As you can see, I have been watching rugby for a long time!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 25 Oct 2021, 11:35 pm

Iain Milne. One of the truly great men in rugby as well as a great player. I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time around him when fleetingly involved in administration at my club whilst playing rugby in Edinburgh. He's a real champion of the game at all levels.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 26 Oct 2021, 6:34 am

king_carlos wrote:1.Andy Sheridan
2.Jamie George
3.Phil Vickery
4.Martin Johnson
5.Maro Itoje
6.Tom Croft
7.Tom Curry
8.Richard Hill

9.Harry Ellis
10.Jonny Wilkinson

11.Elliot Daly
12.Manu Tuilagi
13.Will Greenwood
14.Jason Robinson
15.Josh Lewsey

I think Andy Sheridan is probably my favourite pick in the spirit of the XV. A flawed player but a very fun one as well.

Heinously unbalanced back row but they are my 3 favourites to watch which is what this is for!

I just want to see 7.5s response with Daly to be completely honest. James Simpson-Daniel is actually my pick at 11 if being serious.

He did say favourite not best. The only place Daly has looked decent is left wing so fire away!

No 7&1/2

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Oct 2021, 9:08 am

Mr Bounce wrote:

Let's use a cut off point from 2000. Any International player from 2000 onwards is eligible, be they retired, injured or still playing.

Well thats 90% of my team out then.... Sad

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Oct 2021, 10:20 am

I'm throwing in a least favorite to spice things up! Players that I used to scream at.......

1. Tim Payne (How? Just how? Average scrummager, offered less than nothing in the loose....most bizarre Lions call-up ever)
2. Tom Youngs (Couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo - should have stayed at centre)
3. Paul Doran Jones (Equally inept on both sides of the scrum, but always looked pretty good)
4. Steve Borthwick (His negative yardage in carrying was a joy to behold)
5. Nick Kennedy (The most powderpuff of locks, I worried he would break)
6. Lewis Moody (Mad dog was a strange nickname, he just wasn't really very good. Ran around a lot, got smashed in the face a lot. If not at Tigers would never have been capped)
7. Tom Rees (Our Richie McCaw....but made of balsa wood....in for not reaching anywhere near his glorious potential)
8. Jordan Crane (An 8 who can't make yards and seems to run in jelly, cap him now!)

9. Shaun Perry (Makes Ben Youngs look like Dupont)
10. Shane Geraghty (Mercurial but the rubbish kind)
11. Mark Van Gisbergen (Not one the best of imports - very much a 1 cap non-wonder, thanks SA)
12. Sam Burgess (A bizarre waste of money who's gone on to prove what a piece he is - ran back to RL with his tail between his legs and then started pulling punches)
13. Joel Tompkins (The wrong Tompkins brother.,...must be one of the slowest centres ever...what did he do? Why do we love league convert centres....why are they no good???)
14. James Simpson Daniel (Has there every been a more over hyped player? Revolving door in defence. Seemed to get better every time he didn't play)
15. Alex Goode (Sloooooowww......defence very optional, just not an international)

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Oct 2021, 10:48 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm throwing in a least favorite to spice things up! Players that I used to scream at.......

1. Tim Payne (How? Just how? Average scrummager, offered less than nothing in the loose....most bizarre Lions call-up ever)
And hes our S&C Coach at the falcons.... Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 26 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

11. Mark Van Gisbergen (Not one the best of imports - very much a 1 cap non-wonder, thanks SA)

Never heard of him, then checked, he is a New Zealander laughing

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Oct 2021, 11:47 am

Old Man wrote:11. Mark Van Gisbergen (Not one the best of imports - very much a 1 cap non-wonder, thanks SA)

Haha.....you're reprieved Old man!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 26 Oct 2021, 11:55 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Old Man wrote:11. Mark Van Gisbergen (Not one the best of imports - very much a 1 cap non-wonder, thanks SA)

Haha.....you're reprieved Old man!

Thank you, dodged a bullet there with Van Gisbergen, does sound South African though, his father was actually Dutch.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:11 pm

1 Os du Randt
2 Bismark du Plessis.
3 Carl Hayman
4 Simon Shaw
5 Brodie Retallick - Is he the most complete lock ever?
6 Pat Lam
7 Tom Curry - Think this lad is something special...
8 Tim Rodber - retired 99 but one of my faves ever...

9 Gary Armstrong - Ok he retired in 99, I dont care....one of the best ever.
10 Johnny W - Im a falcon...did you expect anything else?
11 Rupeni Caucau / Alex Tuilagi - I cant choose between two of my absolute favorites
12 Scott Gibbs
13 Tevita Kurindrani
14 Jason Robinson
15 Matt Burke - One of the best players ive ever seen on a rugby pitch.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:40 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

John Eales would offer you a place kicking contest to decide it.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:44 pm

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Yes, Nobodys perfect...

Geordie

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:46 pm

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Doesn't say much for your FH (or full back) if you end up with your lock doing the kicking though

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Doesn't say much for your FH (or full back) if you end up with your lock doing the kicking though

Im covered in both of those Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 28 Oct 2021, 10:27 am

westisbest wrote:1 Peter Clohessy
2 Shane Byrne
3 Paul Wallace
4 Donnacha O’Callaghan
5 Malcolm O’Kelly
6 Simon Easterby
7 Kieran Dawson
8 Jamie Heaslip
9 Peter Stringer
10 David Humphreys
11 Denis Hickie
12 Kevin Maggs
13 Rob Henderson (think he had one or two caps there when BOD out)
14 Justin Bishop
15 Girvan Dempsey

I'd be a very similar set of players. Honorable mention to Hayes, never the best TH but tears during the anthem alone could put him in this list. I'd almost drop DOC for Mick Galwey, not a better player. Where can I put John Muldoon into that backrow, might be a reshuffle and drop Dawson though it's a tight call. Wallace would make a good argument for himself over Heaslip but I think you're right with Heaslip. Also, just for the commentary for any tries scored, Bishop get's switched for Tommy Booowwwwwweeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down