The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy

+9
ALPanorak
sirfredperry
Henman Bill
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
temporary21
Born Slippy
barrystar
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy Empty French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:15 pm

Finishing of the Men's and Women's QFs....

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/index.html

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy Empty Re: French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm

Novak and Thiem both a break up now. Should they not have started a bit earlier? Suggestions that the weather isn't great later.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy Empty Re: French Open Day 12, Thiem to watch the Berdy

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm

Berdych competitive early on but Novak reels off 4 games in a row to take it 6-3.

Goffin back level.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm

The outlook for berdych looks pretty bleak now Tbh. Every chance this could be a rollover

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

Hmm, Goffin also reels off 4 straight games. 6-4.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

Double break for Djokovic to win first set.  Is Djokovic going to beat Berdych in straight sets on clay for the first time in his career?  Is Djokovic hitting peak form for when it matters?   Who can say.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Novak and Thiem both a break up now. Should they not have started a bit earlier? Suggestions that the weather isn't great later.

I suspect that RG's answer would be the same as Wimbledon's in similar situations - it is necessary to think of the spectators who are attending, many who have long journeys to get there, so that bringing the beginning of the match forward at the last moment can screw up their plans and deprive them of the match they have paid to watch.

I'm not one for protecting complacent officials, but juggling the interests of the players, the spectators, and the wider TV audience, which often do not overlap, is sometimes difficult.

Its interesting how much traffic on this site decreases for the latter stags of slams when neither Fedal nor Murray are playing.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

barrystar wrote: ... Its interesting how much traffic on this site decreases for the latter stags of slams when neither Fedal nor Murray are playing.
And there is hardly a squeak on this forum when the women are playing.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

Fair point. I guess the answer to that would be announcing an earlier start the day before? They may be fine anyway.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

When you look at what most of our regulars are interested in. Is that really a surprise?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

barrystar wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:Novak and Thiem both a break up now. Should they not have started a bit earlier? Suggestions that the weather isn't great later.

I suspect that RG's answer would be the same as Wimbledon's in similar situations - it is necessary to think of the spectators who are attending, many who have long journeys to get there, so that bringing the beginning of the match forward at the last moment can screw up their plans and deprive them of the match they have paid to watch.

I'm not one for protecting complacent officials, but juggling the interests of the players, the spectators, and the wider TV audience, which often do not overlap, is sometimes difficult.

Its interesting how much traffic on this site decreases for the latter stags of slams when neither Fedal nor Murray are playing.
You ain't seen nothing yet. You wait until Federer & Nadal retire and you will be able to say the same for the sport.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm

Djokovic is 0.959 after winning the first set, Berdych is 0.271 after losing the first set - 221 of Berdych's 293 losses have come after losing the first set.

Admittedly those figures include Bo3 matches when the chances of recovery are much less, but this one's all over now.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:03 pm

bogbrush wrote:
barrystar wrote: ... Its interesting how much traffic on this site decreases for the latter stags of slams when neither Fedal nor Murray are playing.
You ain't seen nothing yet. You wait until Federer & Nadal retire and you will be able to say the same for the sport.
And when Murray retires - if there is no Brit to replace him - then most of the British commentators will disappear.  I think many disappeared when Murray won his two slams.  The will he - won't he anticipation disappeared - first british male to win a grand slam singles title since several generations ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:05 pm

The forum needs more members really. How many regular tennis posters are there - maybe 20? I don't think I've seen a new member for ages.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:06 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
And when Murray retires - if there is no Brit to replace him - then most of the British commentators will disappear.  I think many disappeared when Murray won his two slams.  The will he - won't he anticipation disappeared - first british male to win a grand slam singles title since several generations ago.

I don't think that's true. Most Murray fans here post regardless of how well he is doing and about other players as well. I can't really think of too many others who were around in 2012.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:08 pm

It is looking like Djokovic is in a hurry and Berdych is going to be put to the sword. If Djokovic keeps this level up and I am going to make him favourite again for the tournament in a Djokovic Wawrinka final.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

I don't think that's true. Most Murray fans here post regardless of how well he is doing and about other players as well. I can't really think of too many others who were around in 2012.

Yes - for Murray 'fans'.  I am a Brit, so I tend to support Murray for that reason.  Whilst I like Murray well enough, I respect his intelligence and his willingness to be his own man, I don't like his on-court antics and I have always preferred Federer.  I therefore fit precisely into the "post will he - won't he" demographic, and I think I'm not alone.  It means that his matches generally have less interest for me than they did a few years ago.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

Nore Staat wrote:It is looking like Djokovic is in a hurry and Berdych is going to be put to the sword.  If Djokovic keeps this level up and I am going to make him favourite again for the tournament in a Djokovic Wawrinka final.

Of course, one should never forget Djoko has a tendency to go walkabout, if less pronounced than Murray's, but he's still been broken so it's back on serve in set 2.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

Berdych breaks back to bring it back on serve but still see this being straight-forward for Novak. I will be surprised if Thiem does not beat Goffin today.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm

Finding new members isnt that hard. Keeping them however is impossible

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:17 pm

I am not sure what truth there was in it but Eurosport saying that Novak has been pressing the tournament organisers to push the final back until Monday. Reports suggest that unless there is more rain delays (of note) then the final will stay on Sunday.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I am not sure what truth there was in it but Eurosport saying that Novak has been pressing the tournament organisers to push the final back until Monday. Reports suggest that unless there is more rain delays (of note) then the final will stay on Sunday.

Wouldn't be surprised - difficult for a player to decide whether to do that - you run the risk of distracting your focus and allowing disappointment at being turned down to gnaw away. If he does Berdych in 3 sets today he faces one of two guys who have never beaten him, and in fact have taken one set off him over a total of 6 matches, so with a rest day on Saturday he may be in no worse shape than the winner of a possible Stan/Murray slugfest.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm

barrystar wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I am not sure what truth there was in it but Eurosport saying that Novak has been pressing the tournament organisers to push the final back until Monday. Reports suggest that unless there is more rain delays (of note) then the final will stay on Sunday.

Wouldn't be surprised - difficult for a player to decide whether to do that - you run the risk of distracting your focus and allowing disappointment at being turned down to gnaw away. If he does Berdych in 3 sets today he faces one of two guys who have never beaten him, and in fact have taken one set off him over a total of 6 matches, so with a rest day on Saturday he may be in no worse shape than the winner of a possible Stan/Murray slugfest.

Assuming he wins both in three sets then he will have played:

Tuesday - 2.5 sets
Wednesday - 1.5 sets
Thursday - 3 sets
Friday - 3 sets
Saturday - rest day

That isn't ideal for a slam where you expect to play alternate days but it's no tougher really than a run to a Masters final could be (with the benefit of a rest day).

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

The last game of the second set was a nice example of someone playing below his potential - Berdych displaying signs of tightening up in his serving and his play to hand his service game on a platter to Djokovic who breaks him to love to win the second set 7-5. Djokovic leads two sets to love.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:38 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
barrystar wrote:

Assuming he wins both in three sets then he will have played:

Tuesday - 2.5 sets
Wednesday - 1.5 sets
Thursday - 3 sets
Friday - 3 sets
Saturday - rest day

That isn't ideal for a slam where you expect to play alternate days but it's no tougher really than a run to a Masters final could be (with the benefit of a rest day).

It's far from ideal, and the point about a rest day is not just that it is physically more relaxing, but that you don't expend the nervous energy that you do on a match day.

Quite how unfair it is is shown by the contrast with Murray, who played 4 Sets on Wednesday, and Wawrinka, who played 4 sets also on Wednesday, with both having rest days on Monday and Thursday - neither of them played on Tuesday, but it wasn't a proper rest day because they had a match scheduled, so there would have been a certain amount of nervous energy.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:39 pm

barrystar wrote:

Precisely my thoughts as well. It looks all ends up like Novsk will complete his match inside two hours. His semi opponents look set to have a much longer match so Novak will the freshest of those semi-finalists on his half of the draw. I canmot see them troubling Novak in their debut slam semi whilst Murray V Wawrinka could be a marathon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

Berdy get an early break but loses it again. It's all in his head. He doesn't beleive he can win and so he's falling apart when it looks like he's getting close to matching novak

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:49 pm

Now Berdych wants to come off because of the conditions - would he if he were winning.....?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:50 pm

It does look as though the way his half has opened up has compensated a bit for the cruddy weather and schedule

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

Theim JUST levels at one set all

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:01 pm

They say Novak's request came from good sources. Now of course it is unfair how things have panned out for him (and the others inbhis half of the draw) but he will still get same break as the other semi - two days. Considering that similar instances on the past have happened and those affected have had to make the best of it then Novak should be the same. I think back to Murray in the US Open when his semi V Nadal atretched out over two days and he had to play the final the next day.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:01 pm

For me Berdych is playing in general too passively here. Easy to say, but the template to beat Djokovic on clay was surely set by Wawrinka last year for someone like Berdych. He should be letting that FH of his rip at every opportunity, but seems strangely reluctant to do so. Case in point being that first BP in that last game where he had two or three shots on the FH he could have really attacked, but instead played rallying shots, and eventually made the error.

Thiem has levelled up at a set all against Goffin after a lengthy TB, Goffin had served for the set at 5-3.

Also, anyone see Djokovic's racquet throw a few games ago. Would have taken a brave umpire to default him of course Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:05 pm

Thiem vs Goffin being played out in front of an embarassingly low crowd. But, I get the sense that those that are there are some of the real tennis fans if you like, and are really enjoying this. Goffin getting quite a bit of a support.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:09 pm

Play suspended in the Djokovic-Berdych match, but carrying on in the other one. Djokovic seemed to make the decision to stop himself. Bizarre...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

Berdych not pleased and I can understand him. Play suspended and the players go off but the court remsins uncovered.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

Very good match so far with a lot of great variety. Thiem is more aggressive and has more power and ability to hit winners from the back, but is less solid, with more errors.

Goffin looks like a seasoned professional whereas Thiem still looks a little more raw. Goffin does look the better player so far by a little, even though Thiem snuck the second set TB. However in the first game of set 3 Goffin was focused and all over the net on Thiem's serve to break.

Anyone else watching it?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:12 pm

You cant help think is this part of Novak's masterplan? Extend things as much as possible today and force the final onto the Monday. I know I have a suspicious mind.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:12 pm

Rain takes them off in the Djoko match. Given the weather, why didn't they start the two men's quarters at 11am instead of 1pm ? Ludicrous scheduling. If people are wanting their lunch it's just too bad.
Berdy understandably angry and describes the tournament as a "circus".

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:14 pm

Players back on court. Crowds booed Djoko back onto court.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:15 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Rain takes them off in the Djoko match. Given the weather, why didn't they start the two men's quarters at 11am instead of 1pm ? Ludicrous scheduling. If people are wanting their lunch it's just too bad.

I think this has been answered above: there will have been paying spectators who bought their tickets when the schedule was set out, some of them might be travelling from a long way and already made travel plans preventing them from coming earlier, others might be working in the morning, etc.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:15 pm

I'm not convinced whether we need new members or not. Some discussions (for instance the recent one about the top 16 meeting their seeding in slams) I go away for a day and there are three pages of comments and I have to spend 30 minutes reading one thread or I've lost touch with it.

The posters we've got are mostly good and knowledgeable core now, very few trolls and not very effective.

More posters would be ideal if they could contribute more about players outside the big 4 or women's tennis now I think about it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Rain takes them off in the Djoko match. Given the weather, why didn't they start the two men's quarters at 11am instead of 1pm ? Ludicrous scheduling. If people are wanting their lunch it's just too bad.

It is a total mess - they should have said at the beginning of the week that they reserved the right to start play on the show courts at 11.00am for the rest of the week, and give ticket holders a chance to build flexibility into their arrangements to get to the ground.

There are still Women's QF's to play today, with the Final supposedly on Saturday, although the fact that they are Bo3 means it's much more like what they are used to on Tour normally.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Very good match so far with a lot of great variety. Thiem is more aggressive and has more power and ability to hit winners from the back, but is less solid, with more errors.

Goffin looks like a seasoned professional whereas Thiem still looks a little more raw. Goffin does look the better player so far by a little, even though Thiem snuck the second set TB. However in the first game of set 3 Goffin was focused and all over the net on Thiem's serve to break.

Anyone else watching it?

I've got flashscore updates but like yesterday am unable to follow it live due to a hostile office attitude towards multi-tasking/screening.

I'm a big fan of Thiem's though and his form on the dirt this year has been superb. His weight of shot is on another level to Goffin but as you say HB, Goffin is a really clean and accurate rallier so its a real nice matchup.
I remember being surprised by how well his kick serve and particularly backhand has developed, bossed Rafa with it in Argentina earlier in the year.

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

The problem is its very easy as a new guy to be isolated by force of personality.

Passionate this place is. However it is none too welcoming for newbies, especially if it's the WTA were on about

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:20 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

I think this has been answered above: there will have been paying spectators who bought their tickets when the schedule was set out, some of them might be travelling from a long way and already made travel plans preventing them from coming earlier, others might be working in the morning, etc.

I agree with starting early. You just need to make that clear when buying the tickets that start times can be moved up an hour or two as needed and it's just a guide. If you are behind with play then you should have an extra match to add to the schedule anyway and it's not like people know who they are seeing when they buy the tickets.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:22 pm

Djokovic breaks and will serve for the match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:24 pm

Berdych broken rather tamely. That rally at 0-15 rather typifying his approach to the match. Longish rally, Berdych not doing much with the ball, refusing to go after the FH, eventually makes an error.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:24 pm

temporary21 wrote:The problem is its very easy as a new guy to be isolated by force of personality.

Passionate this place is. However it is none too welcoming for newbies, especially if it's the WTA were on about

As forums go this is no worse that any others so if this forum scares you off then perhaps internet forums in general would scare you off.

I agree from a WTA perspective though. Because there are so few comments, and those that there are can be derogatory, about grunting or a player's looks, it could scare off a WTA-inclined poster from joining.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:26 pm

And Djokovic wins in straight sets in two hours 7 minutes. Thiem and Goffin locked in a tight battle.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:27 pm

A very good, efficient, run out for Djoko.  Made better by the fact that his opponent tomorrow is involved in a really tough match with at least 1.5 more sets to go.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next