The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

+14
whocares
kingraf
hampo17
Josiah Maiestas
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
barrystar
banbrotam
Mad for Chelsea
bogbrush
temporary21
CaledonianCraig
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? - Page 2 Empty French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:04

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/22713811
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:32

To be fair to the organisers, they've done what they could be sensibly putting the R4 matches on first to try and get them played today, and getting the players out there this morning for an hour or so. Yes, the Thiem match should have been stopped earlier, but again, understandable that they wanted the set to finish.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:38

No ofc. I can't see how rainy it was when they played. If it was playable though , then of course they should play

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:39

bogbrush wrote:Yeah but excuses are great. They, and their fallout are the life blood of this forum.

If I were you I'd be doing a rain dance, what with Murray a round ahead.

When you have uncovered stadiums then in these conditions it is a case of c'est la vie. No real point sweating too much as the weather cannot be controlled. Times it will affect some players chances and others it helps. Hopefully, this will be the latter.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:40

temporary21 wrote:No ofc. I can't see how rainy it was when they played.  If it was playable though , then of course they should play

The real crux of it all was should they have started in the rain though?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:49

I do see what you mean at least. Though the rain
Lightened up, because it hasn't fully stopped the court never got s real chance to dry and as such might have been unfit for play

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:53

When will play resume? Any estimates?

Of course I may continue my patented rain dance to deny Screech and Socal Very Happy

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:56

None until 2pm at least. No further update

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:58

No wait here we go. The rain has relented enough to start prepping for play

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:59

Apparently it's stopped raining and they're sweeping water off the covers. Might get some play relatively shortly...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:04

emancipator wrote:When will play resume? Any estimates?

Of course I may continue my patented rain dance to deny Screech and Socal Very Happy

ghost

emancipator
Ah good, I was hoping we could discuss using your rain powers productively.

I suggest a daily 9am rain conference, depending on the schedule. OK?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:15

bogbrush wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:Apparently Rusedski made some comment along the lines that Djokovic and RBA shouldn't have played that set as it could affect Djokovic's chances in the tournament? Slightly odd IMO, conditions weren't great but they looked comfortably playable, and with the tournament already way behind schedule surely they should be looking to get matches on court whenever possible?
Yes, the organisers should be running the event primarily to protect the interests of the elite, I'm sure that's right.

picard

F***s sake, this sport is already more skewed towards mainaining the status quo than just about any other sport I can think of and now this numbskull is complaining they haven't gone further!

Did he mention the interests of Bautista-Agut?

I see Greg's been enhancing his reputation as an incisive summariser picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:17

Nadal will probably be relieved he's out of this; the wet court is a killer for his topspin. Th

Now I think about that, I'm going to add that to my list of bad luck Federer had throughout his career - every time he met Rafa at Roland Garros the sun was peeling the paint and the clay became dessicated dust on a stone base.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:18

If Djokovic beats Agut, Agut will have a complete set of R16s for the year round grand slam.  He also has a set of R16s & R32s for all the Masters.  He also has a ranking of 16.  He must be one of the most consistent players on the tour. He has won two 250 ATP tournaments this year.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/roberto-bautista-agut/bd06/rankings-breakdown

Last edited by Nore Staat on Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:20; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:19

banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:Apparently Rusedski made some comment along the lines that Djokovic and RBA shouldn't have played that set as it could affect Djokovic's chances in the tournament? Slightly odd IMO, conditions weren't great but they looked comfortably playable, and with the tournament already way behind schedule surely they should be looking to get matches on court whenever possible?
Yes, the organisers should be running the event primarily to protect the interests of the elite, I'm sure that's right.

picard

F***s sake, this sport is already more skewed towards mainaining the status quo than just about any other sport I can think of and now this numbskull is complaining they haven't gone further!

Honestly, I don't know how he keeps the job. Man's a tool.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:20

Nore Staat wrote:If Djokovic beats Agut, Agut will have a complete set of R16s for the year round grand slam.  He also has a set of R16s & R32s for all the Masters.  He also has a ranking of 16.  He must be one of the most consistent players on the tour.  He has won two 250 ATP tournaments this year.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/roberto-bautista-agut/bd06/rankings-breakdown
That's a probably a career Slam of some sort. A sort of R16 GOAT.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:24

It's raining but they are coming out to start again. Erm
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:29

bogbrush wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

picard

Honestly, I don't know how he keeps the job. Man's a tool.

I think it's an almost puppy-like willingness to please that undoes him.  He doesn't seem to realise that journalist's questions or some other pundit's utterances are in part designed to provoke, so a good pundit has to sift out the bit that makes sense and comment on it and smartly (but politely) dismiss the 'click-bait' element.  Time and time again one hears him agreeing whole-heartedly with some absurd proposition.  Oddly enough, there are times when he is part of a sensible team or being interviewed by someone who is asking non-sensational questions and he comes up with some pretty good stuff - by that I mean not just mouthing platitudes, but coming up with insights which suggest that stuff does go on between his ears.  

It doesn't happen often enough to give him the benefit of the doubt overall though.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:30

This is getting hilarious.

Easy for me to say, but they should be sending Murray and Gasquet home as there are at least 4 sets of tennis to play before he's due, which taking into account breaks between Novak's and the women's match - means there is little chance of Andy been on court before 7

Tomorrow looks pretty good, so they could get a full programme, including the last quarter finals as Thursday looks poor again

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:32

A very real possibility is that today could see Djokovic complete his match and his next opponent (if he wins) Ferrer or Berdych still left to come back tomorrow to complete their 4th Round match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:34

barrystar wrote:

I think it's an almost puppy-like willingness to please that undoes him.  He doesn't seem to realise that journalist's questions or some other pundit's utterances are in part designed to provoke, so a good pundit has to sift out the bit that makes sense and comment on it and smartly (but politely) dismiss the 'click-bait' element.  Time and time again one hears him agreeing whole-heartedly with some absurd proposition.  Oddly enough, there are times when he is part of a sensible team or being interviewed by someone who is asking non-sensational questions and he comes up with some pretty good stuff - by that I mean not just mouthing platitudes, but coming up with insights which suggest that stuff does go on between his ears.  

It doesn't happen often enough to give him the benefit of the doubt overall though.

Agree totally.

For instance, Inverdale's a wind-up-merchant and a good journalist, who asks mischievous questions just for the sake of it. But Courier and even Petchey have the nous to to give a jokey answer or simply tell him that's a daft question. Greg so much wants us to love him, really since he ever became British, it is toe-curling at times.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:36

bogbrush wrote:
emancipator wrote:When will play resume? Any estimates?

ghost

emancipator
Ah good, I was hoping we could discuss using your rain powers productively.

I suggest a daily 9am rain conference, depending on the schedule. OK?

Of course, more than happy to oblige.

I'm working on a slight modification which permits rain on just one side of the court.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:48

RBA holds from 15-40 down, with Djokovic missing an easy BH on the first BP, and his attempted FH winner sitting up for an easy pass after clipping the net on the second. That's not going to improve his mood much...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:48

Agut holding firm whilst Djokovic throwing in uncharacteristic errors Agut leads 6-2 2-2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:48

Of course it so fair to Novak that he starts on day three and the other half started day 1. Those French are always trying to help him out. Hilarious stuff I love how the organizers screwing him royally for the second straight RG with the schedule is evidence of favoritism for Novak. They have crapped on his chances and you guys are in hear talking about how much they big up him. Why am I not surprised this is after all the bizarro world of 606v2

Last edited by socal1976 on Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:52; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:48

.. and the grin....... oh, the grin... Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:49

socal1976 wrote:Of course it so fair to Novak that he starts on day three and the other half started day 1. Those French are always trying to help him out. Hilarious stuff I love how the organizers screwing him orally for the second straight RG with the schedule is evidence of favoritism for Novak. They have crapped on his chances and you guys are in hear talking about how much they bugged up him. Why am I not surprised this is after all the bizarro world of 606v2

An image I want to erase, but can't. That said, it made more sense than the rest of the post.

Last edited by bogbrush on Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:50; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:50

Thiem leads Granollers 6-2 1-2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:53

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Of course it so fair to Novak that he starts on day three and the other half started day 1. Those French are always trying to help him out. Hilarious stuff I love how the organizers screwing him orally for the second straight RG with the schedule is evidence of favoritism for Novak. They have crapped on his chances and you guys are in hear talking about how much they bugged up him. Why am I not surprised this is after all the bizarro world of 606v2

An image I want to erase, but can't. That said, it made more sense than the rest of the post.

Autocorrect check post for intended message

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:54

Any chance of rescuing the rest of it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:55

There you go Novak stick it to the haters

Last edited by socal1976 on Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:55; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:55

Djokovic breaks to lead 4-2 in the second set.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:56

socal1976 wrote:There you go Novak stick it to the haters
Yes, it's brave Nole against the World picard
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:57

bogbrush wrote:Any chance of rescuing the rest of it?

Same chance as you ever giving Novak a fair shake

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:58

Credit to agut breaks back

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:59

The haters just stuck it back.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:59

And Agut breaks right back. Very loose from Novak. Agut leads 6-2 3-4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 14:59

loose game from Djokovic and RBA breaks straight back. Djokovic had been playing much better since the restart, but that was really poor from him there. Oh and it's raining again, that won't help him either.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:00

I'm sorry barrystar. I know you meant no harm, but we can't reference that, it's way too dodgy

Djoko broken straight back as well, and easily

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:01

As the rain falls again. I wonder how much longer they'll stay on here?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:01

bogbrush wrote:The haters just stuck it back.

Enjoy it while it lasts it happens so rarely for you these days bb, I feel sorry for you and your ten year campaign to diminish him

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:02

I think you back yourself unnecessarily into a corner with posts like this - it's not as if B-A was striking a blow for the haters when he broke back.

On your main point about RG, I'd agree that Djoko has not been singled out for favourable treatment. As far as I can tell they never took to Nadal until he started to look vulnerable, they always loved Federer (being delighted when his name was etched onto the trophy), and most French Nationals. Otherwise everyone has been treated at best with supercilious indifference and lack of empathy.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:03

socal1976 wrote:Of course it so fair to Novak that he starts on day three and the other half started day 1. Those French are always trying to help him out. Hilarious stuff I love how the organizers screwing him royally for the second straight RG with the schedule is evidence of favoritism for Novak. They have crapped on his chances and you guys are in hear talking about how much they big up him. Why am I not surprised this is after all the bizarro world of 606v2

You're up early Socal. Something on your mind Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:03

well the level has dipped dramatically in the last 5-10 minutes or so...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:04

Ridiculously slow courts

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:05

banbrotam wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Of course it so fair to Novak that he starts on day three and the other half started day 1. Those French are always trying to help him out. Hilarious stuff I love how the organizers screwing him royally for the second straight RG with the schedule is evidence of favoritism for Novak. They have crapped on his chances and you guys are in hear talking about how much they big up him. Why am I not surprised this is after all the bizarro world of 606v2

You're up early Socal. Something on your mind Wink

In Prague right now

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:08

Sticking it in part 3.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:08

barrystar wrote:

I think you back yourself unnecessarily into a corner with posts like this - it's not as if B-A was striking a blow for the haters when he broke back.

On your main point about RG, I'd agree that Djoko has not been singled out for favourable treatment.  As far as I can tell they never took to Nadal until he started to look vulnerable, they always loved Federer (being delighted when his name was etched onto the trophy), and most French Nationals.  Otherwise everyone has been treated at best with supercilious indifference and lack of empathy.

Is calling a spade a spade, illegal now? I have never heard bb say one positive word about the guy

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:09

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:The haters just stuck it back.

Enjoy it while it lasts it happens so rarely for you these days bb, I feel sorry for you and your ten year campaign to diminish him
What? Laughing at your antics?

Happens every day.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:09

Hey, haters back in touch.

Ooh, that's showed me!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 15:09

Djokovic breaks again and will serve for the second set at 5-3.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next