The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread

+20
Scottrf
mikey_dragon
MIG
jbeadlesbigrighthand
sportform
Ent
compelling and rich
Scott is Back
Hammersmith harrier
owen10ozzy
Crimey
Geordie
nathan
Hero
Stella
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Fernando
Duty281
24 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread - Page 2 Empty The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread

Post by Duty281 Sun May 22, 2016 3:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

And this time, even I don't believe it will happen!

Instead, in a pish-poor tournament devoid of serious quality, I'm backing the Welsh to do the business at a healthy 80/1.

Anyway, England's first warm-up is against Turkey in about an hour and a half. Make sure you enjoy Kane and Vardy playing up front together, because it won't be replicated at any other point this summer!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Sturridge always gets injured with England. To be honest, not a major miss, seeing as he would of been a bench option. I expect the media will now cream over the inclusion of Rashford

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official *England to Euro 2016 Glory* Thread

Post by Crimey Thu May 26, 2016 9:04 am

The England medical team are awful to be fair. I think of Sturridge's injuries, something stupid like 80% of them have come whilst on England duty. 

You should be glad West Ham's players don't get called up, they'd only all come back crocked anyway.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am

Unfair to blame England's medical staff, it's clear for all to see that Sturridge is made out of paper. The bloke should never have been called up to the squad...never appeared during the qualifiers...has sat out far to many England games and barely played a third of all of liverpools games in the last 4 years. In fact he has played less football in that time than the likes of Messi & Ronaldo have in the better part of 18 months! He should never have been called up to the squad..travesty to those who can play week in week out and stay fit during it. That goes for Fabian Delph & Jack Wilshire too.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu May 26, 2016 11:42 am

Except he's been fit for months now and playing week in week out absolutely fine, almost all of his injuries have come from England duty. Not the only Liverpool player to end up getting injured on England duty either. It's been well known for years that the English medical staff are bad at handling players' needs. 

I'd rather none of the Liverpool players were there to be honest, let them have the full summer off and recuperate.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 am

His injury list seems to suggest that most of them were whilst at his club rather than on international duty, he's not been in the squad for 18 months because of injury.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Crimey wrote:Except he's been fit for months now and playing week in week out absolutely fine, almost all of his injuries have come from England duty. Not the only Liverpool player to end up getting injured on England duty either. It's been well known for years that the English medical staff are bad at handling players' needs. 

I'd rather none of the Liverpool players were there to be honest, let them have the full summer off and recuperate.

Im sure half of England wish most of Liverpool players werent there to be honest! Very Happy

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 8:33 am

Delph is out of Euro 2016. Good news

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

LiamB wrote:Delph is out of Euro 2016. Good news

Not for him.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri May 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Rashford starts, Sturridge not on the bench. Guess he's not gonna make it.

Delph and Sturridge are a no. Drinkwater, Townsend or Walker?

I'd venture the two that stay won't play a minute anyway

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 pm

I'd imagine he'll take Drinkwater as Delph isn't going.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Rashford just needs a decent 45/60 minutes and he'll be on the plane to France.

Anyway, this is the theoretical confidence-booster before the tournament proper, with Portugal being the final tune-up.

Seems like a standard 4-3-3 for England tonight.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 pm

What a start.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 pm

australia will make Rashford look like Ronaldo tonight. Media will go crazy now

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Fairy-tale stuff for Rashford.

Not as quick as Kane on his debut, though! Wink

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm

All aboard the hype train choo choo!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Hero wrote:All aboard the hype train choo choo!

Rashford to be the overall top scorer at Euro 2016 - 150/1.

Seven games, one goal every two minutes = 315 goals (which will be marginally more than England concede)!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Portugal are going to stick a few goals past England, if this game and the last is anything to go by.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Rooooooooooooooney!

A decent pass from Sterling as well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Duty281 wrote:Portugal are going to stick a few goals past England, if this game and the last is anything to go by.

The Duty of years gone by would never have been so honest! You okay? Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 9:11 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Portugal are going to stick a few goals past England, if this game and the last is anything to go by.

The Duty of years gone by would never have been so honest! You okay? Hug

Sound, my lad, sound. Hug

I just fail to take any heart from the England team these days.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri May 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Englands centre backs are woeful. Englands defence on a whole is poor.

What do Milner, Henderson etc really bring to the squad?? I just cant see what they offer. And you aint going to win a major tournament with a team built of players like them.  

And I have to agree with Ian Wright...what on earth has Barkley done to get in the side.

I can go on...Sterling?? Not bad tonight, but not worth the fee he went to City for....etc etc

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Jesus the ITV coverage is just horrific

'None of the teams will know about him' - talking about Rashford

Yeah I'm sure the French, Germans etc haven't noticed that man Utd player who's gotten extensive media coverage for half a season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri May 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Jesus the ITV coverage is just horrific

Yeah I'm sure the French, Germans etc haven't noticed that man Utd player who's gotten extensive media coverage for half a season

The continent gets to probably watch more of our league than we do unless you pay through the nose.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 pm

They come out with this crap every two years. It was only the other day Roy Hodgson was saying the whole world will be watching Rashford tonight and now he's an unknown quantity.

This is the worst collection of defenders we've had in my lifetime and I lived through the Graham Taylor years. QF's is about par.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Jesus the ITV coverage is just horrific

They'll probably know he has a pretty poor first touch, and tends to be a little directionless when he runs.

That said, he will be high on confidence and feel that he can do anything with the ball at his feet.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 pm

FreekShow wrote:This is the worst collection of defenders we've had in my lifetime and I lived through the Graham Taylor years. QF's is about par.

Quite, and this is generally why my hope for the English football team has ebbed away.

4 years ago, England had a solid, dependable defence, and it gave them every chance against France and Italy.

This time, it's a bloody shambles. I think England will stumble to the quarters (second in the group after two draws and a win, then beating Austria/Iceland in the last 16) before coming up very short against host nation France.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri May 27, 2016 10:50 pm

It now depends if Roy has the guts to go with a high energy team that can defend from the front. Alli, Kane, Vardy and Sterling are modern footballers who will do that. Henderson will too. Put that with Rooney and Dier and we have smarter footballers behind who can use the ball too. I'd be playing that front 6 and Cahill and Smalling behind who are no nonsense and can play deep behind that. Rose will be a fine full back if he has a lot of cover, but Bertrand, Rose, Shaw and Cresswell are our top four left backs and none of them are strong defensively as that isn't the modern game.

Sadly, I'm not sure Roy is a modern manager who will hide weaknesses and play to our current crop's strengths.

I think there's a good modern English team there but I don't think it will be guided right. We have a really good crop of players for a high energy "team" style, finally not based on individuals. The collective could be better than any I've seen since 96, but it needs a manager with the style and vision for it. Hate to credit them, obviously, but base this side around Spurs and Leicester style and we'd be a real threat.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It now depends if Roy has the guts to go with a high energy team that can defend from the front. Alli, Kane, Vardy and Sterling are modern footballers who will do that. Henderson will too. Put that with Rooney and Dier and we have smarter footballers behind who can use the ball too. I'd be playing that front 6 and Cahill and Smalling behind

Isn't that seven? Or am I reading that wrong. I would leave Vardy on the bench, we need an impact player off the bench.

-----------------------------DIER------------------------------
--------------HENDERSON--------ROONEY-------------------
----------------------------ALLI-------------------------------
---------------------KANE-------VARDY/STERLING----------

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 am

Indeed, but I had to drink to get through that match.

I'm not sure how I'd go, whether it would no Hendo in the early games and Alli there with Sterling in behind, and then move Alli forward and bring Hendo in for Sterling against the top sides. I think Sterling has a lot to offer, and maybe he'd be less of a risk than a two man frontline. But it needs that energy mixed with your calmer, wiser players. And I really think Rooney is one of those, and Dier needs to be a sitting player.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am

Just to throw it out there...it won't happen as Roy is pretty ridged with his set up but I do wonder whether we would be suited to play a 5-3-2..as has been demonstrated in our recent games we are awful at the back and an extra CB in there may be just what we need. 3 CB's would give the full backs the license to get forward knowing they have that extra cover..could then have Henderson/Wilshire, Alli & Rooney in a midfield 3 with the former playing the more disciplined role with Kane and Vardy up top. We lack quality/in formwide men at the moment anyway so no need to have them and the three up top means we have to push players to their unatural position and we lose the qualities they bring (Vardy for example playing left wing or indeed Rooney).

I do agree with Dolph that as a collective squad this is probably the best we have had since 96 (not talent as the golden generation had that all over the park but couldn't put it all together) but the issue we have is a manager who doesn't seem to know how to best put it all together. Plenty on here have been saying since at least the last World Cup that Roy wasn't the man for the job and it surprises me that only now are some people realising it.

Even last night after the game he was discussing how fitness at this current time won't determine someone's selection but rather whether they will be fit come France. This coming from the same man who 6 months ago announced that players would have to prove their fitness before earning a call up. He only ever sticks to what he says when it suits his agenda...if it doesn't then he quickly back pedals.

I think we will struggle to get out of the group (wouldn't surprise me if we didn't make it out) but should we I fully expect us to lose at the first hurdle of the knockout stage. I hope it isn't the case because there is some serious talent knocking about that could come out of this scarred and then they plod forward frightened to perform on the international stage like our last talented lot.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 am

I don't think playing 3 not very good CB's is gonna help really Owen, think we just need to bite the bullet and accept we're gonna give away chances and concede a few, but go with more firepower to try and score more (I can't see us grinding out a 1-0, if we're gonna win games will be like 3-2 imo)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat May 28, 2016 9:38 am

I think Stones is lacking confidence and Cahill can't seem to click with anyone but Terry at international level...however Smalling has been excellent for Utd. I don't think you can label any of them bad CB's. Think the big issue is that ATM they are horrible exposed when the full backs go wondering and for me Dier/Wilshere both lack the discipline to stick to that holding midfield role rigidly when the team are pressing forward (which is what they are there for) that's why I'd probably put Henderson at the top of the pile for that position. The extra CB would help keep things tighter once the full backs go roaming. With three plus a disciplined Henderson you'd essentially have 4 defensive players holding the line at all times. That frees up Rooney to roam in the midfield area, Alli the licence to push on and the full backs the chance to express themselves offensively which is what all of ours are better at rather than the defensive side.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat May 28, 2016 9:57 am

That would be far too defensive Owen and put an undue amount of pressure on Rooney to pull the strings going forward, from experience of watching Man United all the five man defence does is confuse the players. A drastic formation change like that needs to be eased in through qualifying not at tournament with no players used to it.

All you've effectively done is drop Dier back from defensive midfield into defence anyway.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Drinkwater & Townsend cut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2016 2:17 pm

Agree with Drinkwater, but if Sterling gets injured, we have no alternative winger with pace & given the fact we can't even dominante possession, we need quick counter attacking options, such is the English style of play. Think we've got too many similar options centrally IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue May 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Totally agree with the cuts providing Sturridge is fit

Drinkwater would never have played, and really isn't actually that good, Delph is poo and we're clearly not interested in playing wingers so taking Townsend made little sense
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue May 31, 2016 2:19 pm

You could tell Townsend was going to be dropped because of how little he was used in the friendlies.

Think Drinkwater being dropped is fair, not sure he's good enough for this level.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm

-----------Hart-----------
Clyne-Smalling-Stones-rose
-----------Dier--------------
------Alli--------Wilshere----
-----------Rooney------------
-------Kane-----Sterling-----

And then Vardy off the bench replacing Sterling

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue May 31, 2016 2:38 pm

Dont really see the point in taking Rashford and Sturridge tbh.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue May 31, 2016 2:39 pm

GSC wrote:Dont really see the point in taking Rashford and Sturridge tbh.

You will when Sturridge gets injured stepping off the plane!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue May 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Not going to be a perfect indication, but if we look at the numbers given to the England squad, first eleven looks like this:

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Milner Rooney

Sterling---------Lallana--------Vardy 

Kane

I'd be disappointed if Kyle Walker is first choice left back, think Clyne is definitely better. 

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2016 3:46 pm

No's given out, mean absolutely nothing. Milner is nowhere near starting, he's essentially waterboy & a versatility option, if we get major injuries. Clyne is at RB, not Walker. Sterling doesn't play right hand side for England & Vardy out on the left is horrible. If that was the England side, we should just skip the tournament.

The side selected, lends itself to a diamond formation, most likely

Sterling seems to be regarded more of a forward, than a midfielder under Roy, with Vardy off the bench to replace his speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue May 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Agree with Liam based on the squad selected the diamond formation has to be the one we are going to play otherwise leaving Townsend at home makes no sense
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Leaving Townsend at home makes a good deal of sense tbh. Even disregarding the squad he picked.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 am

why are so many playing a poor out of form winger upfront instead of a actual striker who's in great form. would have vardy over sterling all day

dont think we have any decent width options so would rather see a diamond shape and hope the full backs (who are all best at attacking anyway) get forward to supply the width

while i dont agree with roy, i can see henderson starting against russia

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am

compelling and rich wrote:why are so many playing a poor out of form winger upfront instead of a actual striker who's in great form. would have vardy over sterling all day

That's what Roy has done. Sterling is a favourite of Roy's & has played every friendly game. The diamond formation does not suit Sterling & he won't play the no.10, so Roy has played him up front, alongside Kane. I don't honestly think we can just put all our cards on the table. I think Vardy, as an impact sub, replacing Sterling in the second half, is Roy's extravagant plan. That's why it's still puzzling for me the inclusion of both Sturridge & Rashford, seeing as Sterling is now regarded more as a striker, than a winger, in this new formation. Also, even if we revert back to the the 4-3-3, Roy will still favour Sterling on the left, Lallana on the right & Kane up front, so why we need Vardy, Sturridge & Rashford on the bench, is strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am

makes perfect sense when you put it like that.

Plan A is sterling and Kane with vardy as a super sub. Sturbridge is plan b, plan b is injury prone so rashford can cover him. Can gain experience along the way even if he doesn't play.

Utility man Milner allows this extra forward.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:00 pm

think he's need his head examining if he thinks sterling is a forward, terrible finisher

would have vardy and sturridge over him all day as forwards because.......... they are forwards!! would even have rashford there over him. in his very short career he done more in the position than sterling has.

I would personally have him in the squad for a wide option if we need to change it, but wouldnt have him any where near the diamond shape. whats the points off having our biggest threats being forwards and replacing them with a winger there

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:11 pm

LiamB wrote:No's given out, mean absolutely nothing. Milner is nowhere near starting, he's essentially waterboy & a versatility option, if we get major injuries. Clyne is at RB, not Walker. Sterling doesn't play right hand side for England & Vardy out on the left is horrible. If that was the England side, we should just skip the tournament.

The side selected, lends itself to a diamond formation, most likely

Sterling seems to be regarded more of a forward, than a midfielder under Roy, with Vardy off the bench to replace his speed.
I can't see Sterling starting ahead of Vardy.

Agree with the squad number regarding 1-11. Although it is worth noting Alli, Barkley and Lallana all wear no 20 for their clubs and Alli is wearing no 20 in the Euros. I think nine players have their club squad numbers Hart, Walker, Rose, Sterling, Rooney, Henderson, Sturridge, Alli and Bertrand.

My starting XI would be:-

Hart

Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Bertrand
Henderson, Dier, Alli
Rooney
Kane, Vardy

Whether that is a 442 diamond or a 4312.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Ent wrote:makes perfect sense when you put it like that.

Plan A is sterling and Kane with vardy as a super sub. Sturbridge is plan b, plan b is injury prone so rashford can cover him. Can gain experience along the way even if he doesn't play.

Utility man Milner allows this extra forward.
Interesting stat on Sky Sports earlier. UEFA released a list of the most inform players in recent months going to the Euros. The top 5 were:-
1 Ronaldo
2 Ibrahimovic
3 Griezmann
4 Payet
5 Milner
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next