The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N post mortem

+43
funnyExiledScot
rapidsnowman
jimbopip
Majestic83
tigertattie
Nematode
sensisball
Pot Hale
George Carlin
whocares
teh_Dingmeister
fa0019
LondonTiger
demosthenes
Hoonercat
captain carrantuohil
Hazel Sapling
Gwlad
highland_scot
alive555
Cyril
IanBru
GLove39
NeilyBroon
True Raven
EWT Spoons
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
EST
lostinwales
MacKnocked-on
Prothero
mikey_dragon
offload
R!skysports
Shifty
RDW
TJ
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
Exiledinborders
BigGee
47 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 4 Empty Scotland 6N post mortem

Post by BigGee Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 4 _88860115_sixnations

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland 6N post mortem

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am

highland_scot wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I love Wales. Can't say a bad thing about the place.

I can. Every time I've been, it has rained. Torrentially.

That's a higher rain rate in my experience than Scotland, England or Ireland.

I had the exact same experience and I lived there for 7 years....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:50 am

highland_scot wrote:

Along with rugby,the sport I follow most is rally driving, so my main experience of Wales has been perching on a hillside near Llandudno at 6am in late November as foglights appear over the horizon followed by the back blast of a turbocharger dump valve...

So quite often in Wales I've experienced the strange sensation of being rained on so heavily that the hot chocolate you're drinking doesn't ever run out - the water dripping from your head keeps the cup filled, and the hypothermia you're suffering from convinces you that the drink is still boiling.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 am

IanBru wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Along with rugby,the sport I follow most is rally driving, so my main experience of Wales has been perching on a hillside near Llandudno at 6am in late November as foglights appear over the horizon followed by the back blast of a turbocharger dump valve...

So quite often in Wales I've experienced the strange sensation of being rained on so heavily that the hot chocolate you're drinking doesn't ever run out - the water dripping from your head keeps the cup filled, and the hypothermia you're suffering from convinces you that the drink is still boiling.

Croeso ir Cymru thumbsup Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Sutherland gets kept with the Scotland squad, Gordy Reid sent back to Glasgow. That might give us a hint at who is going to be on the bench next week. Its a decent call in my opinion.

Gilchrist on the bench for Edinbrgh but hard to see him being fit eough for an international match at this stage. No sign of Dubar yet though but Horne starts.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
IanBru wrote:Sorry folks, I haven't been on here in a while.

All my waking hours have been spent either working or stripping paint from the woodwork in my hallway. Six door-frames down, one to go!

Mega thread coming up tonight though, on strange patterns in 6 Nations fixture lists... Keep an eye out.

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 4 3933776953

Totally missed this. As for Wales love the place and love the people. World class in every respect... just like me.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:34 am

BigGee wrote:Sutherland gets kept with the Scotland squad, Gordy Reid sent back to Glasgow. That might give us a hint at who is going to be on the bench next week. Its a decent call in my opinion.

Gilchrist on the bench for Edinbrgh but hard to see him being fit eough for an international match at this stage. No sign of Dubar yet though but Horne starts.

Sutherland (21) and Fagerson (20) on the bench for Scotland. That's some statement for the future.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:02 am

lostinwales wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

It rains so much in Wales that the Welsh are totally oblivious to it. Went there for a biking long weekend a few years ago, the forecast on Friday for the weekend was glorious so we weren't too worried about arriving soaked. Got up Saturday morning and it was still pouring, and the weather forecast was still glorious sunshine Shocked Rained almost all weekend but we still had a great time - I've been back many times since with both friends and family and it is a wonderful place, lovely people even the police are a laugh Whistle
Not really into their rugby though Whistle

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:09 am

Hoonercat wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

It rains so much in Wales that the Welsh are totally oblivious to it. Went there for a biking long weekend a few years ago, the forecast on Friday for the weekend was glorious so we weren't too worried about arriving soaked. Got up Saturday morning and it was still pouring, and the weather forecast was still glorious sunshine Shocked Rained almost all weekend but we still had a great time - I've been back many times since with both friends and family and it is a wonderful place, lovely people even the police are a laugh Whistle

The Welsh are world class in every facet of rugby union. Especially against SH opposition.

Stop being a troll laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:34 am

Hoonercat wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

We lived a short drive from some wonderful beaches, the pick of which was probably 3 cliffs bay. On the 3 days each year when there was a break in the cloud these were great places to visit... I won't go further because every time this comes up and I express some of my feelings about the years wasted there then somebody will get upset. Much happier in colder and dryer Manchester.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:40 am

Went for an early morning along the coast on a cold February morning and every person we walked past said hello. "By Jove," I though, "These barbarians are a tad over-familiar!" Shocked

Lovely people, with the exception of one particularly miserable pub landlord in Upper Cwmtwrch. I suspect he might be a 606 member Very Happy

We knew we were back in England the next day when paying for petrol, not so much as a 'thank you'. mad

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:52 am

Hoonercat wrote:Went for an early morning along the coast on a cold February morning and every person we walked past said hello. "By Jove," I though, "These barbarians are a tad over-familiar!" Shocked

Lovely people, with the exception of one particularly miserable pub landlord in Upper Cwmtwrch. I suspect he might be a 606 member Very Happy

We knew we were back in England the next day when paying for petrol, not so much as a 'thank you'.  mad

I think its very area dependent. Walking in one area you'd get nothing except miserable looks and in another people saying hello, even when they were separated by only 4 or 5 miles. Living there we found the culture much more different than we would have imagined.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:00 am

lostinwales wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:Went for an early morning along the coast on a cold February morning and every person we walked past said hello. "By Jove," I though, "These barbarians are a tad over-familiar!" Shocked

We knew we were back in England the next day when paying for petrol, not so much as a 'thank you'.  mad

I think its very area dependent. Walking in one area you'd get nothing except miserable looks and in another people saying hello, even when they were separated by only 4 or 5 miles. Living there we found the culture much more different than we would have imagined.

I can see how that could be, pretty much the same as any country really. Though I've stayed in a few different areas of Wales and never had any issues both rural and in towns. People tend to be friendlier outside large towns and cities, if a stranger says hello to you in London it's time to start panicking Erm

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 am

you see, our banter thread is so good even the English are joining in!

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:10 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:you see, our banter thread is so good even the English are joining in!

Thought you could do with some company, it must get kind of lonely in these Scottish threads Whistle

Now Scotland, there's a country I'd love to visit again. As long as it's not Bathgate, never again. boxing

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:13 am

Hoonercat wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:you see, our banter thread is so good even the English are joining in!

Thought you could do with some company, it must get kind of lonely in these Scottish threads Whistle

Now Scotland, there's a country I'd love to visit again. As long as it's not Bathgate, never again. boxing

Or Glasgow...

On the 7th day, god rested. But before he did, he squatted over the west of Scotland. What emerged was henceforth called Glasgow. king
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:15 am

Hoonercat wrote:

Why would you (or anyone) go to Bathgate of all places??

That's almost as bad as going to Fife!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

What can I say? 17 and in love. kiss  Travelled through the night on a coach ('twas all I could afford) expecting to see beautiful mountains and amazing lochs.

I couldn't wait to get back on the coach  Shocked .

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

furious Hey! Dunfermline is actually quite pleasant! So is St Andrews and Cupar. It's just Methil, Leven, Kelty, Glenrothes, Kirkcaldy, Methilhill, Oakley, Inverkeithing, Rosyth, Valleyfield and every other place that drags it down!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am

Bathgate - the gateway to quality living(ston)

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am

Livingston - now that really is a dump!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:32 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

furious Hey! Dunfermline is actually quite pleasant! So is St Andrews and Cupar. It's just Methil, Leven, Kelty, Glenrothes, Kirkcaldy, Methilhill, Oakley, Inverkeithing, Rosyth, Valleyfield and every other place that drags it down!

St Andrews isn't proper Fife - is has an entire existence of its own separate from all of Scotland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Livingston - now that really is a dump!

My nana loves shopping there though.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 am

'Livingston where roundabouts go to die'.  There are so f**king many of them.

I used to work in a factory in bathgate when I was younger and I wouldn't wish that place on anyone.  In all the years I was there, I honestly for the life of me, cannot remember a day that it wasn't wet, blowing a gale and looking remarkably similar to a post apocalyptic future....ironically set 20-30 years in the past.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 am

It's a sh!te hole all round there.....Whitburn, Blackburn etc etc.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 am

EWT Spoons wrote:'Livingston where roundabouts go to die'.  There are so f**king many of them.

I used to work in a factory in bathgate when I was younger and I wouldn't wish that place on anyone.  In all the years I was there, I honestly for the life of me, cannot remember a day that it wasn't wet, blowing a gale and looking remarkably similar to a post apocalyptic future....ironically set 20-30 years in the past.

Exactly how I remember it. Someone mentioned Livingston which rang a bell, it was where we headed for a night out on the Saturday as apparently it was much better for nightlife than Bathgate. Jesus wept. Shocked

But on the bright side I did get a whirlwind tour of Edinburgh Very Happy Though I remember it for all the wrong reasons, seeing a man dressed as a woman for the first time ever - or maybe it was one of the Livingston lovelies from the previous night Wink

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:10 am

Hoonercat wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:'Livingston where roundabouts go to die'.  There are so f**king many of them.

Exactly how I remember it. Someone mentioned Livingston which rang a bell, it was where we headed for a night out on the Saturday as apparently it was much better for nightlife than Bathgate. Jesus wept. Shocked

But on the bright side I did get a whirlwind tour of Edinburgh Very Happy Though I remember it for all the wrong reasons, seeing a man dressed as a woman for the first time ever - or maybe it was one of the Livingston lovelies from the previous night Wink

To be fair, Livingston is a better night out than Bathgate, but that's like saying getting kicked the in sack once is better than getting kicked in the sack half a dozen times.  Neither is appealing but if those are your choices, once is always going to be the winner (unless that's your thing).

If you were out in livi then I imagine you went to club earth (or whatever it's now called), which from what I can remember is an eye opening experience and probably host of the biggest collection of non sporting tracksuit wearers, ever.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:13 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Livingston - now that really is a dump!

My nana loves shopping there though.

Wouldn't say it's a dump. More it is just a shopping centre with some satellite industrial estates.

The bits in between are filled with a curious mix of Yuppies looking for more space at a lower price than Edinburgh, the original Jakies, and the country folk swallowed up by the sprawling industrial estates. You end up with nice areas like Eliburn intertwined with the likes of Deans.

All this sandwiched between the M8 and 2 railway lines, with a dual carriageway down the middle and enough roundabouts for a small country!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

To be fair, Livingston is a better night out than Bathgate, but that's like saying getting kicked the in sack once is better than getting kicked in the sack half a dozen times.  Neither is appealing but if those are your choices, once is always going to be the winner (unless that's your thing).

If you were out in livi then I imagine you went to club earth (or whatever it's now called), which from what I can remember is an eye opening experience and probably host of the biggest collection of non sporting tracksuit wearers, ever.

This was nearly 30 years ago so things might have changed since. I really didn't see anything of Livingston other than the inside of this pub/club.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:34 am

And Livingston is now home to the Tony Macaroni stadium!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:50 am

I think you'll find it's the Tony Macaroni Arena!

To be fair we're (I'm sadly a livingston fc fan) in so much financial trouble (aka the status quo) that we could call it pretty much anything, and i doubt the fans would mind, as long as it brought a wee bit of stability, and cash. I think it was previously the broadwood motor company stadium, which I can't decide if it's worse or not.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:59 am

Going back to the rugby if I may (I know I know)

It is great to see Gilchrist back for Edinburgh. I'm sure he won't be involved with Scotland next week but he can get a few games for Edinburgh before the France and Ireland games so may become involved then.

I'd rather him than Swinson on the bench against France, but I'd much prefer Toolis over either!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:42 am

Ignoring RDW's attempts to discuss rugby for a moment....

You are all forgetting the important role that places like Livingston, Fife, Glasgow and Bathgate fulfil, which is to make us Edinburgh dwellers feel smug about life. It's like that feeling you get being in a warm tent when it's lashing down with rain outside.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 am

Maybe room for a little tinkering around the edges.

Toolis in - Swinson can go away and never play for scotland again as far as I am concerned - I have never seen him do anything to stake a claim as an international player either for scotland or his club apart from cause games to be lost with stupid penalties.

Back row balance maybe? Although I thought we looked much better there against Wales than England

Maitland / visser for Sholong

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

I have a theory that there is a close relationship between St. Andrews and Leven. 

When a young person in St. Andrews gets to the age of eighteen, they appear before a committee of local worthies.  If they are deemed to be beautiful enough, they can stay.  If not, they are exiled to Leven.

Only explanation I can think of for the disparity in appearance of the young adults in the respective towns!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 am

Campbeltown. Once spent a week there due to work. The PTSD still causes me to wake in the dark hours in a cold sweat, screams freshly plucked from my throat.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:52 am

My family all originate from Campbeltown, except for one great-great-grandfather, a Greek sailor who washed up at Southend and wasn't allowed to leave - new breeding stock!

There's something inherently disturbing and limiting about going on a night out in Campbeltown:
"Nope, I'm related to her... [walk to next bar] and her... [walk to next bar] and... well they're both related to me distantly... [walk to next bar] ...Hi mum. Get off the table please."

Last edited by IanBru on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:53 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

All my waking hours have been spent either working or stripping paint from the woodwork in my hallway. Six door-frames down, one to go!

Mega thread coming up tonight though, on strange patterns in 6 Nations fixture lists... Keep an eye out.

Totally missed this. As for Wales love the place and love the people. World class in every respect... just like me.
Don't worry chum, you haven't missed it. I realised I'd made a slight error in the Excel spreadsheets which was disturbing the patterns. Should be up tonight.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:54 am

IanBru wrote:My family all originate from Campbeltown, except for one great-great-grandfather, a Greek sailor who washed up at Southend and wasn't allowed to leave - new breeding stock!

There's something inherently disturbing and limiting about going on a night out in Campbeltown:
"Nope, I'm related to her... [walk to next bar] and her... [walk to next bar] and... well they're both related to me distantly... [walk to next bar] ...Hi mum. Get off the table, please."

Not that it stops the people of Campbeltown... Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

We need a Scotland v Italy thread folks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We need a Scotland v Italy thread folks!

Done, with my usual creativity and panache.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:39 pm

IanBru wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Don't worry chum, you haven't missed it. I realised I'd made a slight error in the Excel spreadsheets which was disturbing the patterns. Should be up tonight.

Why do you build me up? Buttercup? Baby just to let me down??
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

That's about as creative as a Michael Bay movie that he directed whilst under the influence of LSD.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:51 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

That's about as creative as a Michael Bay movie that he directed whilst under the influence of LSD.

Michael Bay directed The Rock, which is one of the greatest action movies of all time involving one of Sean Connery's finest performances ("I washh trained by the besshht, British intelligenshh").

I'm taking that as a compliment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Michael Bay directed The Rock, which is one of the greatest action movies of all time involving one of Sean Connery's finest performances ("I washh trained by the besshht, British intelligenshh").

Apart from The Rock, Michael Bay is a dreadful director. Armageddon is actually used as a screening tool by NASA recruiters to separate the wheat from the chaff. Basically proposed candidates must watch said movie and point out all of the scientific blunders contained within.

I will give you The Rock though. Great movie.

“your besht? Loshersh alwaysh whine about their besht? Winnersh go home and cuddle the prom queen.”
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Edinburgh is where trams go to die - except they can not actually get there, as the line runs out

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Riskysports wrote:

Edinburgh is where trams go to die - except they can not actually get there, as the line runs out

Have you been watching those Jim Davidson DVDs again?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:47 pm

The culture in Edinburgh is also dividing option

Plus - World-class arts programming, plus a month-long string of comedy greatness on the Fringe.

Minus - Regular visits from Lloyd Webber musicals.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

"Pershonally I think you're a f*****g idiot." Brilliant line, though strangely it isn't the best Connery line ever.

That singular distinction belongs to The Hunt for Red October:
"It remindsh me of the heady daysh of Shputnik and Yuri Gagarin, when the world trembled at the shound of our rocketsh, and they will tremble again at the shound of our shilenshhhhh."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm

I watched the Hunt for Red October the other night.

Sean is of course utterly awesome (not even a hint of a Russian accent), but Baldwin's "smell the fart" acting is pretty dreadful. Harrison Ford makes a much better Jack Ryan in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next