The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?

+8
aja424
spencerclarke
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
AZZJ44
AdamT
Herman Jaeger
hazharrison
12 posters

Go down

Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?  Empty Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 10:32 am

Interesting article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/queensberry-rules-boxing-blog/2016/jan/27/unbeaten-fight-danny-garcia-angel-thurman-porter

Finally, somebody said it. It’s out there now. For those of you who haven’t seen it, Angel García, father of undefeated welterweight Danny García, expressed his confusion to Fighthype over just why in hell Shawn Porter and Keith Thurman, two young, talented welterweights, would want to fight each other:

I don’t know why they are calling each other out as they are both elite fighters. I don’t make sense. They’re still young. I don’t want people misunderstanding what I’m saying – it’s a great fight – but, at the end of the day, someone is going home with the ‘0’. If they want to do that, it’s up to them. They’re making good money to be calling each other out. At the end of the day it’s about retiring wealthy. Why would they fight each other when they could fight a Salka? It’s about the bank being loaded. That’s why Oscar is at where’s he at right now. I don’t want you to misunderstand this, but sometimes it’s not about the glory, it’s about the paper, because they take punches in the face and that shi t hurts. They could have waited and got more fights under their belts and become bigger stars and then met each other.

Garcia is correct, one of them would likely walk out of the ring with a loss on the old record. This is how boxing works now. If a fighter loses, the fame, fortune, and women all vanish into the ether like they were never there. Why take that kind of risk when you don’t have to?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?  Empty Re: Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jan 2016, 10:40 am

BULLSH!T of the highest order. They fight to see who's the best...the way it should be. Federer and Novak have played each other 44 times not counting today's match. It currently stands at 22-22....boxing should be f*cking ashamed of itself

Back to top Go down

Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?  Empty Re: Why would two talented boxers fight each other when one of them could lose?

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 28 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

Didn't surprise me in the least coming from Angel Garcia.

It's the disregard for the fans that really gets me though.

Fans love to see fighters earn their way to big paydays, but it sickens them to watch people milking the system.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 10:58 am

This is why I prefer UFC. I still don't particularly like grappling, but the best guys fight the best.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:03 am

If a fighter loses, the fame, fortune, and women all vanish into the ether like they were never there.
Yeah, Muhammed Ali faded into obscurity after losing to Joe Frazier didn't he?

Amir Khan disappeared into the ether after getting KO'd inside a minute didn't he?

PacMan suffered those loses as a youngster...utterly ruined him.

Wlad K all but vanished from the public's consciousness after his loss to Sanders. Whatever happened to that guy?

Lennox Lewis, didn't he lose to Oliver McCall? Wonder what he's doing these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

I don't understand the Oscar mention. Is he saying Oscar made a career of fighting rubbish (which he clearly didn't) or is he saying fighting consistently against quality operators messed Oscar up?

Really don't see Oscar's relevance to this.

On the story I could understand his point I'd he was talking specifically about his own son. Where it's your own flesh and blood I'd think the easier the better however it doesn't sit well as a boxing fan when he gave us the Salka fight and mentions it here as an easy one that others should take (or fighters of a similar ilk).

Suppose this is where we are in in general. Lucky that fighters like Porter and Thurman think differently.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:06 am

AdamT wrote:This is why I prefer UFC. I still don't particularly like grappling, but the best guys fight the best.

You confuse UFC with being MMA, it's no different to the WBC or the IBF, it's just an organisation; Fedor Emelianenko being a prime example of the best in MMA not actually fighting the best.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:09 am

Well 99% of the top fighters are under the UFC banner. If/when it gets a serious rival, it will end up like boxing.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:10 am

Boxing would have always worked this way !!..

Time for naive types to disabuse themselves of the notion that old timers fought for the prestige.......They were cold hard times the 20s 30s 40s 50s etc....Boxers had families to feed..

Give these oldtimers an easy belt with crap challengers and they'd have eaten it up..

That is the problem......We have easy belts now and easy money and Boxing is a hard business.....

Don't really want to scold any boxer for finding an easy way...I'd do the same !!

Unfortunately for the fans though though it sucks...and being a fan myself it's frustrating..

Boxing has injured itself........and I don't see a way back..

Blame the politics not the boxers.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Boxing would have always worked this way !!..

Time for naive types to disabuse themselves of the notion that old timers fought for the prestige.......They were cold hard times the 20s 30s 40s 50s etc....Boxers had families to feed..

Give these oldtimers an easy belt with crap challengers and they'd have eaten it up..

That is the problem......We have easy belts now and easy money and Boxing is a hard business.....

Don't really want to scold any boxer for finding an easy way...I'd do the same !!

Unfortunately for the fans though though it sucks...and being a fan myself it's frustrating..

Boxing has injured itself........and I don't see a way back..

Blame the politics not the boxers.....

I do blame the politics and sometimes the fighters.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

Woodrow Wilson's new freedom act which was a very, very basic welfare program didn't come in till around 1915.... and then Harding/Coolidge basically scrapped that when the GOP won in 21 ...

FDR 33-45 onwards the welfare state started to take shape with the "NEW deal" and that was very basic to today's standards......Soup kitchens everywhere ...

Poor people were poor not like today's standards......

Just look at the TV movies back home they make today...Poor downtrodden types have three garages, a pool as well as a big house.....Poor people don't exist they never have !!

Fighters fought for cold hard cash.....

Not all this glory crap............

Four belts and alphabet-chump city...They'd have snapped your hand of..

Let's not kid ourselves..

History lesson over... thumbsup Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:43 am

I guess it's ok then. Ducking and dodging is part of the game.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm

You're very immature..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:05 pm

You're very full of yourself.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

Yep..

Like I said people always have and always will take the pee in any profession......

These days it's easier. ..

Never said it's alright...They shouldn't be allowed too...

Can you understand that ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:13 pm

Of course I can understand it. I might be immature, but I'm not special.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

Jury's still out on that, Adam

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

I guess so David.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:17 pm

Like it or not a lot of boxers are in it to make the maximum amount of money for there families. If they can do this whilst reducing the risk of their health then generally they will take it. Obviously that can restricted fighters sometimes meeting but I can't blame them. I certainly wouldn't call someone a ducker. They likely are not afraid of the other fighter they just think they have a better way of making the big bucks.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:18 pm

Thank God most of us grew up in a different era, where great fighters fought other great fighters.

When was the last time two great fighters fought at their best weight while they were still at their very best?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:Thank God most of us grew up in a different era, where great fighters fought other great fighters.

When was the last time two great fighters fought at their best weight while they were still at their very best?

Off the top of my head. JMM vs Pacquiao??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

Frampton v Quigg will tick the box shortly.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Thank God most of us grew up in a different era, where great fighters fought other great fighters.

Off the top of my head. JMM vs Pacquiao??

I had hoped this PBC malarkey might become like the UFC, however, Haymon has form for overpaying fighters, so who knows?

It's grim we don't get to see Frampton/Quigg/LSC vs Rigo, Canelo vs GGG, Kovalev vs Stevenson etc.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Frampton v Quigg will tick the box shortly.

Love them both but they haven't proven themselves to be great fighters (yet).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm

I think when he mentions Oscar it is in regard to his promotional company, not his career.
I think any financial advisor would agree with Garcia tbh.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:26 pm

Some great fights can be made. With Floyd and Manny soon out of the picture, the big fights need to be made.

GGG vs Canelo can maybe happen. Also I would like to see Ward vs Kovalev.

I actually feel very sorry for Rigo. Such a waste of talent. Fighters avoiding him like the plague. Makes GGG look fortunate.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

It didn't happen that much in previous eras either, very rare for two great fighters to be at their peak at the same weight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:36 pm

The good old days...When fighters didn't care about feeding their loved ones and were all macho..

Modern fighters don't know they've been born !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The good old days...When fighters didn't care about feeding their loved ones and were all macho..

I don't mean to be rude. But isn't the tone of this post, similar to the one I sent you?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:

It didn't happen that much in previous eras either, very rare for two great fighters to be at their peak at the same weight.

When I was writing that, I knew you'd chirp up with a pedantic response.

Ok:

How often to top ten ranked (independent rankings) fighters face one another? A load less than they used to.

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The good old days...When fighters didn't care about feeding their loved ones and were all macho..

I don't think anyone's ever suggested that. I'm all for fighters - they're the only reason I'm still interested in the sport.

The current system is junk, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm

Always awkward when Truss points out the bleeding obvious. Have to then agree with him. It makes me feel dirty.

It wasn't called prizefighting because they did it for honour and glory and a pat on the back. Reality is some fighters fight for glory others fight for a bump in their pay packet. Always have. Difference is that now the two overlap a HELLUVA lot less

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:54 pm

A pedantic response or merely correcting you yet again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm

This is the era where Holmes trashed the WBC belt because he refused to rematch Witherspoon or fight Page....Fighters that could beat him...and stayed linear champ and the man apparently !!

The era where Camacho vacated his WBC belt after Bramble lost because he didn't want another fight with the heavy hitting Rosario...

The era where Hearns became number 1 contender in all the alphabets after slamming Shuler....Just for Hagler to pick on a 3 years out welter "13 MONTHS" later.....Being cut and rocked obviously wasn't that enjoyable...

The era where Spinks trashed the IBF belt to escape Tyson and Tucker and the HBO unification series...and stayed linear champ and the man apparently !!

I could go on.........................................

Yep modern fighters don't know they are born !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 28 Jan 2016, 1:51 pm

See Case and point Nonito Donaire after his loss to Rigo

That being said Boxing needs to step up big time, its a risk reward business, we as the fans can do something about it though, by boycotting mismatches

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Jan 2016, 5:23 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:A pedantic response or merely correcting you yet again.

You should have said:

A pedantic response or merely correcting you yet again?

Two can play that game sad sack.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 28 Jan 2016, 5:40 pm

Baby throwing his toys out the pram again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:31 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Baby throwing his toys out the pram again.

Pathetic trolling as usual.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

This is the era where Holmes trashed the WBC belt because he refused to rematch Witherspoon or fight Page....Fighters that could beat him...and stayed linear champ and the man apparently !!

The era where Camacho vacated his WBC belt after Bramble lost because he didn't want another fight with the heavy hitting Rosario...

The era where Hearns became number 1 contender in all the alphabets after slamming Shuler....Just for Hagler to pick on a 3 years out welter "13 MONTHS" later.....Being cut and rocked obviously wasn't that enjoyable...

The era where Spinks trashed the IBF belt to escape Tyson and Tucker and the HBO unification series...and stayed linear champ and the man apparently !!

Yep, that's EXACTLY the same situation we have now. The 80s was just a mirror image of 2016.

Arum couldn't sell the Hagler vs Hearns rematch (due to the one-sided nature of the fight after the first minute). After the Schuler KO (on the same night Hagler struggled with Mugabi) blew fresh life into the idea, Leonard threw his hat into the ring and that was that. You know all this, though.

You can cite spurious examples from any era if you put your mind to it but the fact remains: in the 80s we had great fighters fighting other great fighters. That happens far less often today (and there are fewer great fighters).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

Unsurprising that when the Guardian runs a boxing article it's this kind of drivel.

Pathetic from Garcia, lost a little respect for him for that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:27 am

One guy will definitely leave the ring without his 0. Porter lost his a year or so ago

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 29 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

Lance wrote:One guy will definitely leave the ring without his 0. Porter lost his a year or so ago

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Best comment yet. Totally missed that. As did Angel Garcia and the useless journos at the Guardian!! Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

kingraf wrote:Always awkward when Truss points out the bleeding obvious. Have to then agree with him. It makes me feel dirty.

It wasn't called prizefighting because they did it for honour and glory and a pat on the back. Reality is some fighters fight for glory others fight for a bump in their pay packet. Always have. Difference is that now the two overlap a HELLUVA lot less

More often than not on the cobbles on a Friday night after the pub Very Happy

To many non boxers throw out the old glory/legacy card all to often. Why would anybody decide to make life harder for themselves or turn down so called easy money? Funnily enough fighters like Peter Buckley found they were able to make more money for themselves by losing!

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:03 pm

To compound matters - apparently Garcia vs Guerrero did excellent numbers on Fox.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:08 pm

No real surprise there, for me I thought it would be a decent fight, Guerrero is generally good value, not seen it yet though.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Yep, that's EXACTLY the same situation we have now. The 80s was just a mirror image of 2016.

Arum couldn't sell the Hagler vs Hearns rematch (due to the one-sided nature of the fight after the first minute). After the Schuler KO (on the same night Hagler struggled with Mugabi) blew fresh life into the idea, Leonard threw his hat into the ring and that was that. You know all this, though.

You can cite spurious examples from any era if you put your mind to it but the fact remains: in the 80s we had great fighters fighting other great fighters. That happens far less often today (and there are fewer great fighters).  

Hearns was his mandatory...

Fight of the decade wasn't marketable for a return....ok.

Who promoted Hagler v Leonard ?...Arum..

Give it a rest....Even your mate Jeff Ryan scoffed at Hagler refusing to rematch Hearns..."Hearns doesn't deserve a rematch and an old welterweight deserves a shot...what nonsense"..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Hearns was his mandatory...You write some crap...

Fight of the decade wasn't marketable for a return....ok.

Who promoted Hagler v Leonard ?...Arum..

Give it a rest..

I could post you some direct quotes from Arum (and almost certainly have previously) but hey, you can't help some folk.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:31 pm

Pointless debating someone as irrational as you..

Let's stop before you start editing articles...or start throwing the toys out..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Pointless debating someone as irrational as you..

Let's stop before you start editing articles...or start throwing the toys out..

Which is how these things go. You say something odd - I offer a factual response and then you decide it's not worth debating.

To claim Hagler ducked a Hearns rematch - a guy who was never the same after Hagler - is ridiculous.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down