The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers that do - don't want to fight

+4
eddyfightfan
paperbag_puncher
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
8 posters

Go down

Boxers that do - don't want to fight Empty Boxers that do - don't want to fight

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

It seems to me that nowadays boxers don't have the dsame desire to fight often, as they once did.

I am not talking about the SRR 100+ bout kind of fights of then, butt he 3/4 times a year kind.

There are things to take into consideration of course, namely that the networks only have a certain amount of dates they can put fighters on, so the bigger names are never going to fight more than 3 times a year. But it seems to me, some of the bigger names in our sport really don't have the same desire to fight as others do.

So, was wondering, which fighters do you think want to fight regularly and which do you feel are happy enough to wait until they can mazimise their pay cheques etc?

A couple offerings

Want to fight

Maidana, Katsidis, Khan (seems to want fights when not unable to fight because of his fasting) and Canelo

Not that fussed

Andre Dirrell, 1 fight in two years and Andre Ward doesn't seem too active for a young champ either

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Boxers that do - don't want to fight Empty Re: Boxers that do - don't want to fight

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

Wonjonkam, granted his record is padded with utter garbage but he likes to keep fighting to keep in shape all year round, I don't necessarily want to see the likes of Khan having 6/7 title fights a year but the odd easy fight to try out what you've been training on wouldn't go a miss. In a 15 year career he's had a total of 28 title fights I believe not bad going for any era.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Boxers that do - don't want to fight Empty Re: Boxers that do - don't want to fight

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

Fighters that do

Carson Jones. Only noticed how active he is when he signed for the Brook fight. Fought 5 times last year, 6 times in 2010 and 9 in 2009. Some of these were short fights but still.

Chris Arreola. He was busy last year.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:38 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Wonjonkam, granted his record is padded with utter garbage but he likes to keep fighting to keep in shape all year round, I don't necessarily want to see the likes of Khan having 6/7 title fights a year but the odd easy fight to try out what you've been training on wouldn't go a miss. In a 15 year career he's had a total of 28 title fights I believe not bad going for any era.

Agree. IF I see top fighters int here 3 times a year I am happy, but looking at some of them, it's one or two a year.

I also think Ortiz likes ot get in there. He would fight 3/4 times a year if injuries and cancellations didn't prevent, I reckon.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Carl Froch deserves a mention on the want to list.

Floyd is a good case of not bothering about how active he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:42 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Fighters that do

Carson Jones. Only noticed how active he is when he signed for the Brook fight. Fought 5 times last year, 6 times in 2010 and 9 in 2009. Some of these were short fights but still.

Chris Arreola. He was busy last year.

Arreola was well busy wasn't he. Needs to be too, if he doesn't fight every couple of months he dives right back into the fried food.

Carson Jones has a decent number of fights for his age.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

fury is quite active, slowed down a bit but still more than usual

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:04 am

Haye is about as inactive as anyone you'll find, coming up for his 28th fight in a nearly 10 year career. Hasn't fought more than 3 times a years since 2005.

Always thought Dawson should be more active as well. Seems to only fight once or twice a year and has done for some time.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:05 am

Fury slowed to suit his Channel Five deal, I think. Haye is a good shout

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:37 am

It's funny because years ago, Champs used to have similar amount of title fights each year but then used to have lots of non-title fights each year in-between to keep them active whereas nowadays they don't.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:It seems to me that nowadays boxers don't have the dsame desire to fight often, as they once did.

I am not talking about the SRR 100+ bout kind of fights of then, butt he 3/4 times a year kind.

There are things to take into consideration of course, namely that the networks only have a certain amount of dates they can put fighters on, so the bigger names are never going to fight more than 3 times a year. But it seems to me, some of the bigger names in our sport really don't have the same desire to fight as others do.

So, was wondering, which fighters do you think want to fight regularly and which do you feel are happy enough to wait until they can mazimise their pay cheques etc?

A couple offerings

Want to fight

Maidana, Katsidis, Khan (seems to want fights when not unable to fight because of his fasting) and Canelo

Not that fussed

Andre Dirrell, 1 fight in two years and Andre Ward doesn't seem too active for a young champ either

since andre ward has been in the super 6, he's only been able to fight as much as the tournament lets him. he should have had a fight since, but credit to froch he jumped straight back into the game. ward perhaps wants to enjoy hi spoils and was looking to fight dawson.

i agree that i think it's pathetic how th big fighters seem to thnk it takes 6 months to arrange, promote and stage a fight.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:It seems to me that nowadays boxers don't have the dsame desire to fight often, as they once did.

A couple offerings

Want to fight

Not that fussed

since andre ward has been in the super 6, he's only been able to fight as much as the tournament lets him. he should have had a fight since, but credit to froch he jumped straight back into the game. ward perhaps wants to enjoy hi spoils and was looking to fight dawson.

i agree that i think it's pathetic how th big fighters seem to thnk it takes 6 months to arrange, promote and stage a fight.

Mayweather was saying in his 24/7 to his dad for the real big PPVs that exceed 1M+ Buys they have to wait around 6 months, not really in the business so I wouldn't have a definitive answer.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down