The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

+28
glamorganalun
carpet baboon
RiscaGame
True Raven
Steffan
Don Blues
PhilBB
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
Stone Motif
Blueschief
wayne
GavinDragon
XR
Seagultaf
Gleision
Kingshu
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
Notch
wales606
mikey_dragon
Don Alfonso
Coleman
LordDowlais
VinceWLB
32 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 12 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Navidi is better in other positions in my opinion. Williams is an out and out 8. Good signing.

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 12 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Pawb a'i farn. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 12 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 5:22 pm

I'm currently learning Spanish for when I move over there

Spoke to my solicitor in Madrid earlier. Her broken English made me laugh. She sounds quite hot though

Not sure what Pawb a'i farn means but it sounds good. I have forgotten a lot of the Welsh I know

So the "One True Region" Swansea Ospreys wont pay out to get Bradley from Wasps. You would think the WRU would step in when a "region" is trying to bring a Welsh international from "abroad"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 23 May 2016, 7:37 pm

Steffan wrote:I'm currently learning Spanish for when I move over there

Ole!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 23 May 2016, 10:00 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ole!

Laugh
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 24 May 2016, 8:05 am

Steffan wrote:
True Raven wrote:Because he wants his daughter to go to a welsh speaking school
I like the Welsh language but I find that quite a petty reason to be honest

I know a guy who has lived in London for the last 15 years. Is going out with a nice looking girl form Norfolk as well

Now all of a sudden he wants to move back to Wales which could split them up as they might be having kids and he "wants his kids to go to a Welsh speaking school" like Bradley

Happy enough to live in London and date an English girl but now suddenly the Welsh language means so much to him

Like I say...I like the Welsh language but I hate this pettiness of "Our kids must speak Welsh or else"

You can now save his relationship: http://ysgolgymraegllundain.co.uk
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 8:22 am

Spoke to my solicitor in Madrid earlier. Her broken English made me laugh. She sounds quite hot though

Not sure what Pawb a'i farn means but it sounds good. I have forgotten a lot of the Welsh I know

So the "One True Region" Swansea Ospreys wont pay out to get Bradley from Wasps. You would think the WRU would step in when a "region" is trying to bring a Welsh international from "abroad"

Pawb a'i farn- Peoples beliefs or peoples points of view. 

Or to translate it word for word:-

Pawb a'i farn - people and views (notice NO full stop after farn)
Pawb a'i farn.- People and Judgment (notice full stop after farn)

Hope this helps Steff. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 11:55 am

I'd say it's more like 'everyone has an opinion'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:01 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'd say it's more like 'everyone has his opinion'.

It's how you chose to interpret  it. OK

You would not be wrong in saying that is what it means. OK  

Pawb - everyone
farn - veiw
a'i - and

The Welsh language is very hard to digest unless you actively speak it and translate it more to common sense/context in which it is written, than taking it literally.

If you were to change farn to barn then it would be more everyone has an opinion.

barn - opinion/views
farn- opinion/views

So many fecking ways of saying things. Shocked

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 12:08 pm

But 'a'i is a contraction of 'a ei', which is 'and his/her'. So literally it would be 'everyone and his/her opinion'. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:14 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But 'a'i is a contraction of 'a ei', which is 'and his/her'. So literally it would be 'everyone and his/her opinion'. OK

It all depends on the grammar you use as well. 

ei - his
ei:- is
ei;- it

You really need to understand the context in which it is spoken. It is harder to understand what somebody is typing to what somebody is saying.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:23 pm

A good example LP is a place in the black mountains. It is called Mynydd Droed. It means Foot shaped mountain.

Now I have here'd it be called Mynydd Troed, that means foot of the mountain, see how it can be confusing ?

Now if you translate Mynydd Droed literally, Mynydd Droed means mountain dried, but you are not talking about a mountain that has been dried for what ever reason. 

The Welsh language is very confusing/complex unless you understand the context in which it is being spoken.  thumbsup

But in saying that, it is a beautiful language, it is one of the oldest in the world, it pre-dates latin and ancient Egyptian.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure 'ei' doesn't mean 'is' or 'it' in any context.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 12:27 pm

And I'm certain 'droed' doesn't mean dried.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm pretty sure 'ei' doesn't mean 'is' or 'it' in any context.

Do you speak fluent welsh LP ?

ei is a word of many meanings, it's how you use it.

Blue is another word. How many different ways is Blue referred to in Welsh ? At least 3:-

glass
gleision
las

All the above mean blue in Welsh. It's how you chose to use it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 May 2016, 12:33 pm

I like how this forum has gone from Welsh geographical debates to Welsh language debates recently. You can tell the season has finished...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:And I'm certain 'droed' doesn't mean dried.

droed also means football, if you put pel in front of it, but what does pel mean ? You need to put a roof on top of the e for it to mean ball.

pêl

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 12:39 pm

Yes, I speak fluent Welsh.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:43 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Yes, I speak fluent Welsh.

So you understand the context in which our language needs to be used rather than spoken ? 

One person's interpretations might be ever so slightly different to somebody else. I now the goggs speak an almost different type of Welsh, if you can get what I am saying, and people over in Pembrokeshire will use it differently to people in the valleys/mid Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:45 pm

Also, all our languages are constantly evolving, something that meant something in Welsh 100yrs ago, might mean something different now.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 12:48 pm

I've still never heard of 'troed' meaning dried!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 12:55 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've still never heard of 'troed' meaning dried!

I have, when I was walking along that path, on Mynydd Droed, I went into Talgarth and I was speaking to the locals. That is where I picked it up, you need to have an open mind when speaking about the Welsh language. It's a shame because when I here it spoken on tele, especially when you see a rugby player using it, you can tell they are interpreting the best they can and it almost sounds like a broken language. 

I have even here'd people speaking Welsh, whilst adding English words into there sentences as they do not know the Welsh words for them. 

The best thing I find about being a Welsh speaker though, is when I am phoning a company up, like the postal service, or the DVLA and they ask if I would like to speak in Welsh, if you say yes, your waiting time disappears, you jump straight to the front of the cue.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 1:01 pm

I've never tried that. Maybe I should!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 1:03 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've never tried that. Maybe I should!

Try it. If you get the option to speak Welsh, even if you are calling a call center for your phone, or another automated friggin device, if you chose the Welsh option, your waiting time evaporates and you end up at the front of the que. It's a very nice perk, almost like a daily win. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 1:08 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've still never heard of 'troed' meaning dried!

Also, sorry, not 'treod', 'droed'.

It is droed I have seen being used as dried.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 24 May 2016, 2:22 pm

So, Shingler as the back up 10 next season or Jarrod Speedbump Evans?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 24 May 2016, 2:27 pm

Just been on to 'herself' and her decision (she is a translator) is "Everyone has an opinion."

NB - then again she is Scarlet and a Gog !!!!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 24 May 2016, 2:30 pm

Is Sam Warburton worth £22.72 for every minute he's on the pitch?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 2:57 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Just been on to 'herself' and her decision (she is a translator) is "Everyone has an opinion."

Yes, that is right Penfro. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 2:59 pm

PhilBB wrote:Is Sam Warburton worth £22.72 for every minute he's on the pitch?

What do you reckon ? 

He always seems to be available for team Wales, yet when Cardiff come around, he always seems to get injured. Make of that what you will though. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 3:17 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:Just been on to 'herself' and her decision (she is a translator) is "Everyone has an opinion."

That's what I said!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 3:28 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

That's what I said!

I know, and I told you that when we started. I said you would not be wrong in saying that. OK 

Have a check. I did say it honest. thumbsup

It was nice to debate with another Welsh speaker, somebody who can understand the mish mash that is Welsh. 

Here's one for you. The horse racing town in Wales, Ffos Las, how would you translate it ? Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 3:32 pm

Well 'ffos' would be a ditch or trench, and 'las' would be from 'glas', but you and I both know that 'glas' can mean blue or green. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 3:49 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well 'ffos' would be a ditch or trench, and 'las' would be from 'glas', but you and I both know that 'glas' can mean blue or green. Wink

Well I would translate it as The Green Valley but I would not disagree with somebody calling it The Blue Valley. I know cwm is primarily used in Welsh as valley, and las is blue, but I would not call the place, The Blue Ditch. Laugh

And this is what I mean by context.Would you agree ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 4:21 pm

I didn't think it would be 'blue' in that context, I just thought you might be trying to catch me out. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 4:24 pm

LP, I must say, this has been a very refreshing debate, how nice it is to talk with somebody who understands the Welsh language, even though we might have hijacked this thread with it. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 May 2016, 4:28 pm

Well not really, it's the Gleision's thread.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 May 2016, 4:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well not really, it's the Gleision's thread.

I honestly believe that the word 'Gleision' was only invented about 13yrs ago when the rugby team formed. Laugh

Also, I hope people understand that Gweilch does not mean 'Osprey'. A more accurate translation for Osprey is Gwalch y pysgod, or the fish hawk. Laugh 

All of a sudden, the Welsh word for Osprey/Ospreys is gweilch, before regionalism gweilch used to mean hawk. Oh what a wonderful language we have. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 24 May 2016, 8:40 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I honestly believe that the word 'Gleision' was only invented about 13yrs ago when the rugby team formed. Laugh

Well heavens above, there's a surprise, as my mother would say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 24 May 2016, 8:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Also, I hope people understand that Gweilch does not mean 'Osprey'. A more accurate translation for Osprey is Gwalch y pysgod, or the fish hawk. Laugh 

All of a sudden, the Welsh word for Osprey/Ospreys is gweilch, before regionalism gweilch used to mean hawk. Oh what a wonderful language we have. Laugh

Sounds like "Orc".
They've gotta be referred to as the Orcs from now on then. Marvelous.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 10:12 am

LordDowlais wrote:

What do you reckon ? 

He always seems to be available for team Wales, yet when Cardiff come around, he always seems to get injured. Make of that what you will though. Rolling Eyes

10 games for Wales. 8 games for Cardiff.

That's in line-ish with his NDC.

I'd not employ him, no.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 May 2016, 10:34 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What do you reckon ? 

10 games for Wales. 8 games for Cardiff.

That's in line-ish with his NDC.

I'd not employ him, no.

It is nowhere near in line, he should be playing double that amount of games for Cardiff.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 10:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:
It is nowhere near in line, he should be playing double that amount of games for Cardiff.

10:8 =ish 60/40

Hence 'in line'.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 May 2016, 11:00 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

10:8 =ish 60/40

Hence 'in line'.

Nope, unsurprisingly you are skewing things to suit yourself.

Wales played 13 fixtures, Warburton played in 10, so so that means he played in 77% of Wales games.

Cardiff Blues played 28 games, I have excluded the B&I cup games, Sam played in 8 of them that means he played in 28% of Cardiff Blues fixtures.

Now in line with his NDC, he is allowed to play in 16 games for Cardiff Blues ? So that means he should play in 58% of his regions fixtures, well considering he has only played in less than half the games suggests that he is nowhere near in line with his NDC.

It does show his commitment for team Wales over his region though. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 11:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Nope, unsurprisingly you are skewing things to suit yourself.

Wales played 13 fixtures, Warburton played in 10, so so that means he played in 77% of Wales games.

Cardiff Blues played 28 games, I have excluded the B&I cup games, Sam played in 8 of them that means he played in 28% of Cardiff Blues fixtures.

Now in line with his NDC, he is allowed to play in 16 games for Cardiff Blues ? So that means he should play in 58% of his regions fixtures, well considering he has only played in less than half the games suggests that he is nowhere near in line with his NDC.

It does show his commitment for team Wales over his region though. OK

Ah, so I skewed his wages v appearances to 'suit' myself. Right. So my point was that Cardiff got roughly 40% of his games for 40% of his pay was "skewing things" to suit myself. Odd.

The game limit on NDC players is the same as it is for all English players - 32 games, I believe. So, technically, he's "allowed" to play 19 games for Cardiff.

As he got injured twice playing for Cardiff, I'm not sure how you can complain at his 'commitment' for Cardiff. Maybe you could explain that?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 11:20 am

Whilst we await the explanation of the comment on commitment, here are next year's Tier One academy players:

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/8280.php#.V0V7-segOhR

Corey Domachowski
Liam Belcher
Kieron Assirattti
Seb Davies
Shane Lewis Hughes
Owen Lane
Harri Millard
Run Williams

Domachowski has already tweeted that he expects to be playing for the Rags next year so that looks like the back bone of the team, IF they play Lane and Millard together.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 May 2016, 11:25 am

PhilBB wrote:Ah, so I skewed his wages v appearances to 'suit' myself. Right. So my point was that Cardiff got roughly 40% of his games for 40% of his pay was "skewing things" to suit myself. Odd.

No. Where did you get 40% from ? 19 games is over 50%. He played in less than half of that though.

PhilBB wrote:As he got injured twice playing for Cardiff, I'm not sure how you can complain at his 'commitment' for Cardiff. Maybe you could explain that?

Gets injured for Cardiff, but is always fine for Wales in the 6N, or any other competition. No doubt he will play in New Zealand then get his annual rest until the AI come around, then rest again over Xmas and be fit just in time for the 6N.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 11:31 am

LordDowlais wrote:
No. Where did you get 40% from ? 19 games is over 50%. He played in less than half of that though.

It seems that you didn't learn your last two lessons on NDCs.

40% is the salary contribution from Cardiff Blues.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 25 May 2016, 11:32 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Gets injured for Cardiff, but is always fine for Wales in the 6N, or any other competition. No doubt he will play in New Zealand then get his annual rest until the AI come around, then rest again over Xmas and be fit just in time for the 6N.

I'm struggling here. Are you praising him for the timing of his injuries or claiming that he makes them up?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 May 2016, 11:36 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It seems that you didn't learn your last two lessons on NDCs.

40% is the salary contribution from Cardiff Blues.

Phil, I am talking about the percentage of games he has played, not the percentage he is getting payed.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 May 2016, 11:38 am

PhilBB wrote:I'm struggling here. Are you praising him for the timing of his injuries or claiming that he makes them up?

I am saying that Sam Warburton plays in a higher percentage of Wales games than he does Cardiff Blues games. 

A fact I have proven above.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next