The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those 6N's Rivalries

+33
Barney McGrew did it
Luckless Pedestrian
Breadvan
munkian
gregortree
RDW
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
TJ
offload
funnyExiledScot
rodders
RubyGuby
the-goon
lostinwales
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
Gwlad
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
eirebilly
George Carlin
Cyril
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
whocares
Notch
Geordie
BigTrevsbigmac
Shifty
rainbow-warrior
yappysnap
37 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries - Page 2 Empty Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by yappysnap Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just curious to see peoples thoughts on this. A lot is made of the whole England v Wales thing, but is that competitive spirit/dislike actually still as strong as it used to be?

For me I'd say the competitive side is as strong as ever. I have nothing against the Welsh, but they are definitely the fans that give out the most banter (digs) and they're the team that's probably caused England the most pain recently. They're also some of the best fans to chat rugby with in person, and from the times when I've randomly ended up watching games alongside them, can take criticism, a loss and a bit of mocking very well (as well as give it out). But they are definitely the team I dread losing to!

On the pitch I feel there are a few scores to settle as well namely that drubbing in Cardiff, and then the RWC loss (shudders). I hope who ever plays for England remembers those two defeats and uses that pain to make them come out with passion and play right on the edge. The 6n's is all about these historic games, where there is so much back story to every meeting, and this years England v Wales should be particularly spicy.

What other big rivalries are there in the 6N's now?

Feel free to let this become the wumming thread too...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries - Page 2 Empty Re: Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:09 pm

BamBam wrote:To be fair to Cyril, LD, I was slightly amused by "celebrities" being in the translation too!

The thing is BamBam, a Welsh word can have a number of different interpretations, for example, take the word blue, in Welsh, if you are using the word literally is translated into glas, but it also has other words like las, or gleision. They all mean Blue but in all different ways.

Take another example, there is a place in Wales known famously for it's race course called Ffos Las. Now if you translate that literally it means Blue Ditch, but I have always known it and translated it as The Blue Valley. can you now see how slight twinges on things mean a subtle difference. The word translated from the anthem is celebrities, if you take it literally, but I have always translated it as famous people.

If you take a chance to learn something, perhaps you would think twice about taking the p1ss. Cyril did not do that, he just went straight in and typed something that could cause irritation from the Welsh members of this forum, you on the other hand read it, found it amusing but did not see the need to type anything, that is the difference.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Lots of people taking things very seriously on this thread. Maybe the pressure of the first working week of 2016 has people irritated Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think Wales, Scotland and Ireland all see England as the biggest rivalry for their own varying reasons.

It doesn't always relate however to the biggest or best games of the tournament.

Nope!
1. France, cos we couldn't buy a win for years off them, and I dislike basically all their clubs.
2. Wales, currently top 2 team in Europe, but also meeting so often in the Celtic league now has pushed it to the next level. They are like a twin brother so the rivalry is more fierce.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 am

wow, this escalated...

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:04 am

Rivalries vary according to how a particular team is doing and this tends to go in varying cycles. Beating England in the 70's was about as exciting as watching Amla batting for SA for 11 hours. I'm sure the same can be said for English fans v Wales from 1990-2004 when we largely fielded 3rd rate teams due to losing the likes of Quinnell, Jiffy, Gibbs and Bateman to RL. At the moment it is the Irish for me that I want to beat the most. That match has got the most edge for me and I believe we will batter them in Dublin as they approach their downward curve for the next 5 years. Apologies EireBilly but I know you like the Craic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 am

Rivalry suggests an equal - I prefer to think of Ireland's opponents as irritants.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:16 am

rodders wrote:Rivalry suggests an equal - I prefer to think of Ireland's opponents as irritants.

Given our recent performances against you I think "irritant" is a compliment!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:44 am

RubyGuby wrote:Rivalries vary according to how a particular team is doing and this tends to go in varying cycles. Beating England in the 70's was about as exciting as watching Amla batting for SA for 11 hours. I'm sure the same can be said for English fans v Wales from 1990-2004 when we largely fielded 3rd rate teams due to losing the likes of Quinnell, Jiffy, Gibbs and Bateman to RL. At the moment it is the Irish for me that I want to beat the most. That match has got the most edge for me and I believe we will batter them in Dublin as they approach their downward curve for the next 5 years. Apologies EireBilly but I know you like the Craic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No apologies required Guru, Ireland are on a downward spiral under Schmidt the likes of which Kidney would be ashamed of Wink

Us Irish don't have external rivalries, we don't need them as we have enough internal rivalries thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 am

You're not being serious about Cyril are you?! Cyril, the user who used to get banned all the time this and old 606. Banned as Cyril, banned as SafeAsMilk, banned as Sugar'n'Spikes, etc.

He seems better recently though, but a bit rich to come out with such a foul mouthed tirade given his chequered past Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 am

Griff wrote:You're not being serious about Cyril are you?! Cyril, the user who used to get banned all the time this and old 606. Banned as Cyril, banned as SafeAsMilk, banned as Sugar'n'Spikes, etc.

He seems better recently though, but a bit rich to come out with such a foul mouthed tirade given his chequered past Wink

Nope. Showed his true colours during the world cup and latched onto everyone who played against Wales. This was after England were well out of the competition of course, I think he had 'Wi-Fi trouble' when Wales beat England Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 am

I congratulated Wales when they beat England in the last RWC. It's all a bit bald men fighting over combs though, isn't it?

Not happy with being lumped in with Gwlad though. I'm pretty harmless compared with a guy that's pretty far right of Donald Trump Shocked

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:15 am

"Nope. Showed his true colours during the world cup and latched onto everyone who played against Wales."

Isn't the same true for the majority of welsh supporters though? (ABE).

We are used to it, you should take it as a compliment Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:40 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:"Nope. Showed his true colours during the world cup and latched onto everyone who played against Wales."

Isn't the same true for the majority of welsh supporters though? (ABE).

We are used to it, you should take it as a compliment Wink  

And apologies to the many welsh supporters who aren't the two expats that come to mind. They do colour our mindsets and can set a tone to which English supporters over react, which then triggers the all too common ruined threads.

Last edited by lostinwales on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
rodders wrote:Rivalry suggests an equal - I prefer to think of Ireland's opponents as irritants.

Given our recent performances against you I think "irritant" is a compliment!!

Well the times you beat us were irritating that's for sure Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 am

Anyway....

I suspect that for Wales, Scotland and Ireland, playing England is sort of special. I know for some of my English friends, the French game is up there because for a while France and England were clearly the best two teams.

I split my time between Wales and England and that game will always have more significance for me, but it's only a sporting thing. Broader politics or history has nothing to do with it. Besides, this devolved labour shower of sh*te has done more harm to Wales that England managed in centuries!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:21 am

As I have mentioned earlier on this thread, the England game for me is not the "big one" anymore, the game I look forward to the most is against Ireland. In a nutshell, in all the years I have watched rugby the rivalries for Wales are as follows:-

1980-1990 - France, I can't remember us beating them in the 80's
1990-2003 - England, they were the best, so we had to beat them
2003-present - Ireland, since the inception of the Celtic league, Gatland, Irelands "golden generation", there has just been so much simmering between the two nations over the last 10 yrs, last year for me we were at boiling point, this year will be volcanic.Shocked

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 am

Those 6N's Rivalries - Page 2 Tumblr10

Ah here now children. I've tidied some of the more colourful language up on this thread.

Can we get a tighter grip on our collective horses please.  

Please just report the posts as usual or it's off to bed to with no jelly or ice cream for you.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:25 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Is it being 'arrogant' to suggest that all home nations biggest game, if not the team that they most like to beat is England?

No because its true. Everyone want to beat the bullying ( tongue firmly in cheek) big brother.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:16 am

Cyril wrote:Most fans get on really well.

Gwlad is a nasty c*nt.

Grow up you silly tw*t.

Mods, grow a pair and sort him out please. He's wrecking every thread.

Just read this tripe

Really mods? This sort of thing is tolerated is it?

Cyril, you are a true keyboard warrior. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:21 am

Nothing I posted was untrue or unfair though, was it?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:22 am

To be fair to Cyril though, he is spot on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:23 am

Pot, kettle.

It's obviously been dealt with as you can see by the red text above.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:25 am

Cyril wrote:Nothing I posted was untrue or unfair though, was it?

No need for personal attacks, no matter how annoying the poster is.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:29 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Pot, kettle.

Pooly

Whenever i see your post i know it will be some pathetic barb as per this one….i regularly think that you are exactly as i have been described by Cyril but i NEVER post that sort of thing. I leave it to the likes of you and your petty ilk to do that.

You might not like my opinions on England but they are my opinions and i am entitled to them. And they are largely accurate unless you want to argue about results, RWC, 6 Nations performance, inconsistent selection etc i suggest you do that or go get upset about something important

And lets face it you and others regularly turn up on Welsh threads to have a dig…funny that when i make a point that is unpalatable its a wum, when you do it its just a bit of fun etc etc.

If i get under your skin sooooo much then surely you should be able to ignore my posts? Do you need to be told how?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:31 am

You don't get in gwlad you're too obviious to actually annoy.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:37 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:You don't get in gwlad you're too obviious to actually annoy.

I dont care and if YOU get annoyed, as i have already expressed to you 7.5, that is YOUR problem.

This is forum where people express their opinion

Welsh threads regularly get battered by pathetic English taunts.

I am posting what i think about English rugby. I do it without making offensive personal remarks, the like so fyou poly and cyril chase round my every word and clearly are on a mission like a bunch of rather pathetic vultures

Dont like what i post…ignore it. Keep your collective dresses on and MOVE ON.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:39 am

Lol. Calm down gwlad. I know you're obsessed with your superior neighbours.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:39 am

I have to say I have rarely seen the Welsh threads getting derailed and aggravated by constant WUMs the same way seemingly every other thread is ruined by a few Welsh WUMs. It is very frustrating.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:40 am

Gwlad wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Pot, kettle.

Pooly

Whenever i see your post i know it will be some pathetic barb as per this one….i regularly think that you are exactly as i have been described by Cyril but i NEVER post that sort of thing. I leave it to the likes of you and your petty ilk to do that.

You might not like my opinions on England but they are my opinions and i am entitled to them. And they are largely accurate unless you want to argue about results, RWC, 6 Nations performance, inconsistent selection etc i suggest you do that or go get upset about something important

And lets face it you and others regularly turn up on Welsh threads to have a dig…funny that when i make  a point that is unpalatable its a wum, when you do it its just a bit of fun etc etc.

If i get under your skin sooooo much then surely you should be able to ignore my posts? Do you need to be told how?

Calm down sweetheart.

I have literally no idea what you're gibbering on about.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:41 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I have to say I have rarely seen the Welsh threads getting derailed and aggravated by constant WUMs the same way seemingly every other thread is ruined by a few Welsh WUMs. It is very frustrating.

Exactly Rory.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:48 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I have to say I have rarely seen the Welsh threads getting derailed and aggravated by constant WUMs the same way seemingly every other thread is ruined by a few Welsh WUMs. It is very frustrating.

If you don't follow all threads then why would you come out with such an idiotic comment? I've also noticed you've climbed back on the Irish high-horse when it comes to mentioning booing the ref, kickers, etc. in the pro12. The next few weeks should be interesting.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 am

You need to re read that comment mikey.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:53 am

I don't think anyone is having a pop at you Mikey.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:01 am

Wow, that touched a nerve didn't it? I wouldn't call it idiotic when it is evidently true. It isn't my fault that you and your friends have taken it upon yourselves to derail every thread that has nothing to do with you.

You can moan about high horses all you like (which is a weak statement when you have nothing valuable of your own to counter with) but when a crowd chants "cheat" at the referee then I'm not going to pretend to like it. Currently this is prevalent with Welsh crowds, so I don't know what you want me to do. Pretend everyone else is guilty as well? No.

As for your comment about the next few weeks, I just hope you and your friends will have the courtesy to behave yourselves and enjoy the tournament like the rest of us. However, something tells me that won't be the case...

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:11 am

If I'm the one upset then I'm sure it would be writing an essay... Me and my friends? Yeah okay. Carry on being an idiot, I'll just avoid your comments from now on.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:15 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't think anyone is having a pop at you Mikey.

It's having a pop at the Welsh though. When it comes to the Pro12 match threads on here some of the Irish have a high-horse which they always jump on. They don't boo, they don't complain about ref's, their teams don't cheat and they're always right - anyone to comment from a different perspective is dismissed as WUM or an idiot. It does my nut in sometimes but hopefully it doesn't transfer over to here.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:15 am

Personally, I never found Gwlad to be personal towards any poster. Sure he has some comments that may not be to everybody's liking but isn't that also the point of a forum?

I think some just need to calm down a little.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 am

He's clearly a fan of England as well as Wales... But I thought that too, and I've had plenty of disagreements with the guy. It was kind of funny to see some of the English WUMs get really annoyed and complain about him though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:26 am

Read through all his comments billy. 90% have an unneccessary joke about England. Bit obssessive and encouraged by a welsh mod sadly.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 am

I have read a lot of the threads he is involved in and must say he does have some very good points and they do cut close to the bone at times 7&1/2 but rarely have I seen him be directly involved in personal attacks on other posters when he himself is constantly attacked personally.

Last edited by eirebilly on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't think anyone is having a pop at you Mikey.

It's having a pop at the Welsh though. When it comes to the Pro12 match threads on here some of the Irish have a high-horse which they always jump on. They don't boo, they don't complain about ref's, their teams don't cheat and they're always right - anyone to comment from a different perspective is dismissed as WUM or an idiot. It does my nut in sometimes but hopefully it doesn't transfer over to here.

It's nothing to do with the nationality. Gwlad trawls English threads and posts things to WUM.....constantly. He rarely posts a comment that isn't anti-English. He could be Chinese for the reason of discussion, he's just a wum. Perhaps some of the Welsh/Irish posters don't see it as they're rarely on the English threads.

Nothing against the Welsh in the slightest OK

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:30 am

mikey_dragon wrote:If I'm the one upset then I'm sure it would be writing an essay... Me and my friends? Yeah okay. Carry on being an idiot, I'll just avoid your comments from now on.

I'll not be complaining with your decision. OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:33 am

eirebilly wrote:Personally, I never found Gwlad to be personal towards any poster. Sure he has some comments that may not be to everybody's liking but isn't that also the point of a forum?

I think some just need to calm down a little.

It has nothing to do with being personal. It has to do with a few people trying to purposefully derail threads and wind people up. Of course people aren't going to like that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:01 am

eirebilly wrote:I have read a lot of the threads he is involved in and must say he does have some very good points and they do cut close to the bone at times 7&1/2 but rarely have I seen him be directly involved in personal attacks on other posters when he himself is constantly attacked personally.

May be a little more obvious if it were Ireland rather than England, hes not here to contribute anything worthwhile.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:15 am

Fair enough 7&1/2 I just see it differently. Maybe I am just a little thick skinned due to all the internal Irish bickering that I no longer notice wumming thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:20 am

eirebilly wrote:I have read a lot of the threads he is involved in and must say he does have some very good points and they do cut close to the bone at times 7&1/2 but rarely have I seen him be directly involved in personal attacks on other posters when he himself is constantly attacked personally.

Billy, appreciate that. Thank you.

I certainly make a point of never attacking people personally but i do have an opinion on England and because some Englishmen don't like it they classify it as a WUM. Who cares right Pooly?

I recall in RWC Biltong having a 'joke' about Wales and when challenged as a WUM he pointed out that it was just humor. It strikes me that a WUM is a very subjective.

Now they are alleging some conspiracy with bedford! Think some people need to get over their own sense of outrage and go fuss elsewhere

I stand by what i say about England and will keep saying it. I will also keep posting without telling anyone they are a #$%^ and a &^%$ thanks Cyril you…... thumbsup

Pooly, 7.5 and Cyril hammer the WUM issue constantly because they always get upset by by the truth.

Once again thanks

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:22 am

And by the way..see OP last line Very Happy

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:27 am

If only you kept it to 1 thread.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 am

You haven't seen the worst of him. He's still capable of saying things of great stupidity and I still think he's smelly

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:42 am

Sounds like Chunky Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next