The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those 6N's Rivalries

+33
Barney McGrew did it
Luckless Pedestrian
Breadvan
munkian
gregortree
RDW
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
TJ
offload
funnyExiledScot
rodders
RubyGuby
the-goon
lostinwales
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
Gwlad
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
eirebilly
George Carlin
Cyril
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
whocares
Notch
Geordie
BigTrevsbigmac
Shifty
rainbow-warrior
yappysnap
37 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries - Page 3 Empty Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by yappysnap Sun 03 Jan 2016, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Just curious to see peoples thoughts on this. A lot is made of the whole England v Wales thing, but is that competitive spirit/dislike actually still as strong as it used to be?

For me I'd say the competitive side is as strong as ever. I have nothing against the Welsh, but they are definitely the fans that give out the most banter (digs) and they're the team that's probably caused England the most pain recently. They're also some of the best fans to chat rugby with in person, and from the times when I've randomly ended up watching games alongside them, can take criticism, a loss and a bit of mocking very well (as well as give it out). But they are definitely the team I dread losing to!

On the pitch I feel there are a few scores to settle as well namely that drubbing in Cardiff, and then the RWC loss (shudders). I hope who ever plays for England remembers those two defeats and uses that pain to make them come out with passion and play right on the edge. The 6n's is all about these historic games, where there is so much back story to every meeting, and this years England v Wales should be particularly spicy.

What other big rivalries are there in the 6N's now?

Feel free to let this become the wumming thread too...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries - Page 3 Empty Re: Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by eirebilly Sat 09 Jan 2016, 10:47 pm

Cyril wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I have read a lot of the threads he is involved in and must say he does have some very good points and they do cut close to the bone at times 7&1/2 but rarely have I seen him be directly involved in personal attacks on other posters when he himself is constantly attacked personally.
Sounds like Chunky Smile

Another poster that gets personally abused for simply having a different opinion. Maybe you should step back a bit, read what's being written and counter the posts not the poster...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 09 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Cyril wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I have read a lot of the threads he is involved in and must say he does have some very good points and they do cut close to the bone at times 7&1/2 but rarely have I seen him be directly involved in personal attacks on other posters when he himself is constantly attacked personally.
Sounds like Chunky Smile

Another poster that gets personally abused for simply having a different opinion. Maybe you should step back a bit, read what's being written and counter the posts not the poster...
Why don't you just ffff....

Laugh

Yeah, you're probably right. Gwlad's still a c.... character though Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 09 Jan 2016, 11:07 pm

Gwlad has been directly insulting.

There isn't a problem with making comments 'close to the bone'. There definitely is not an issue with having different opinions, but it is possible to post so with a little sensitivity and wit. Or at least to try

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 09 Jan 2016, 11:14 pm

Indeed. Maybe English fans notice it more (because it's on every, single English thread) but Gwlad's posting style could be described as '97% snidey wum'.

That's not to say we're all innocent of taking the p*ss a bit, but Gwlad is just so relentless.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 09 Jan 2016, 11:45 pm

lets face it - if every time there was a thread on Irish rugby team selection some tw*t appeared and posted a couple of lines about the BOD not being picked for the Lions final test, or the political situation in Northern Ireland- it would get pretty stale very quickly

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:33 am

eirebilly wrote:
Cyril wrote:
Sounds like Chunky Smile

Or maybe the "personal" stuff was deleted and neither of you had the chance to see it? He has said his fair share, believe me. Plus he is quite clever at what he does and some people are none the wiser. As you have proven... Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:34 am

lostinwales wrote:lets face it - if every time there was a thread on Irish rugby team selection some tw*t appeared and posted a couple of lines about the BOD not being picked for the Lions final test, or the political situation in Northern Ireland- it would get pretty stale very quickly

Just head on over to the club section mate.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:50 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
lostinwales wrote:lets face it - if every time there was a thread on Irish rugby team selection some tw*t appeared and posted a couple of lines about the BOD not being picked for the Lions final test, or the political situation in Northern Ireland- it would get pretty stale very quickly

Just head on over to the club section mate.
So, it seems we have one in each area

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:55 am

Anyway as i was saying before everyone had there girly tantrum….

Manu….so now he's fit will he solve England's centre problems as quick as you can say Sam Burgess is a c^&*?

Just asking or am i hurting someone's feelings?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 10 Jan 2016, 2:21 am

Sam reckons hes not a c^&?.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 2:37 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

I am sure he is a fine chap

I actually wondered if he was working for the NZ Secret Service.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 10 Jan 2016, 3:24 am

Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

He was, but he turned out to be no bloody use at all, he had nothing.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 4:16 am

We all have a bit of a wind up now and again, it's part of the banter. It's when some idiot is trawling every single thread about a subject making constant snide comments looking to derail the thread.

Gwlad, you regularly make personal attacks along with your constant wumming, you're extremely predictable if anything. I'm trying to put my finger on who you're a reincarnation of....not Ghost, his rugby knowledge was far superior, anybody any ideas?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 4:22 am

god you whine so much, its unbearable.

Go put the kettle on Polly.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Jan 2016, 4:25 am

Gwlad isn't Ghostie. He's had plenty of accounts though.

I've noticed he's had posts removed on the news boards where he's supportive of terrorism Shocked

Why aren't I surprised?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 4:39 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

He was, but he turned out to be no bloody use at all, he had nothing.

He might have done if given the time to develop and its the fault of England's management (and not Bath) that his career was cut short

It really is staggering when you think about it that having struggled to find his role at club level for one season England played him as a centre - putting another out of position - against Wales because of an aura, and then were surprised when the guy failed after 18 minutes v Fiji.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 7:44 am

For somebody that doesn't makes personal remarks.....you make a lot of personal remarks.

Who do you reckon he might of been Cyril? I just can't put my finger on it, there's obviously been a few wum's over the years.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:15 am

Anyway, back on topic. For me the biggest rivalry as an Irish fan is the Wales game due to the fact there is very little between the teams in the recent years. England will always remain a team that i want Ireland to beat simply because i grew up watching England beat Ireland on regularly.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:22 am

gwlad/Cyril - please foe each other (or just ignore each other) for the good of this forum. As much as everyone enjoys your petty squabbling it is becoming tiresome.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

Jeez RDWS, most years we  have a rivalries thread before the 6 Nations, why not let them go for it? Is it really doing any damage to the forum?

Also you did see the invitation at the base of the principal article didnt you?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:Jeez RDWS, most years we  have a rivalries thread before the 6 Nations, why not let them go for it? Is it really doing any damage to the forum?

Based on the number of complaints we receive, and the number of people who have left due to constant bickering on threads, I tend to disagree! OK

I'm all for banter and rivalry - not petty squabbling.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

Laurie - haven't you seen what happens at a zoo when the monkeys get out of their cages?

Poo flung everywhere.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 10 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:Jeez RDWS, most years we  have a rivalries thread before the 6 Nations, why not let them go for it? Is it really doing any damage to the forum?

Based on the number of complaints we receive, and the number of people who have left due to constant bickering on threads, I tend to disagree! OK

I'm all for banter and rivalry - not petty squabbling.

Why not ban them then?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 6:29 pm

There's a few posters who are only interesting in winding people up, I'm sure a little ban wouldn't go amiss.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:There's a few posters who are only interesting in winding people up, I'm sure a little ban wouldn't go amiss.

You'd be first among equals

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 6:21 am

It never dawned on me that people are actually still complaining to the mods, I remember that Linebreaker told me it used to happen a few years back.

This mentality of running off to the mods is actually a reflection of a terrible trend that has been creeping into rugby, players are too lazy to improve on the standard of Rugby they play so they look to gaining points by means of seeking  penalties from the Ref. or looking to having an opposition player sent  off the field to achieve some sort of parity with the opposition.

To me judging  complaints purely by the volume of complaints, encourages not only frivolous and vexatious complaints but also inhibits robust discussion.

If posters are complaining about other posters then I believe in fairness that the accused is entitled know who is making accusations against him, then he knows to avoid engaging in discussion with that complainant in the future. but he also must have some form of right of reply.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:09 am

Gwlad just LOVES an English thread, even though this one isn't.
No opportunity missed to drone on, and bring out his, old chestnuts of English arrogance and lack of humility.
England fans know we were properly and deservedly stuffed at the RWC but as this does not suit his narrative.
So he is compelled to create a fantasy world of English arrogance.
The obvious problem for Lancaster and Robshaw was too much niceness and humility, not enough arrogance.
I'm hoping for a bit more edge and a bit more smarts under Jones. I repeat, hope, as there can be no expectation before a ball has been kicked or a team selected. Hope is not arrogance, just pointing that out.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

And this thread with the trolls and accusations is why I no longer join in any debates on here and don't visit too often.

Mods - please ban the trolls. You know who they are, you get a lot of complaints about them. They spoil these boards to the extent people stop using them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2016, 9:25 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:It never dawned on me that people are actually still complaining to the mods, I remember that Linebreaker told me it used to happen a few years back.

This mentality of running off to the mods is actually a reflection of a terrible trend that has been creeping into rugby, players are too lazy to improve on the standard of Rugby they play so they look to gaining points by means of seeking  penalties from the Ref. or looking to having an opposition player sent  off the field to achieve some sort of parity with the opposition.

To me judging  complaints purely by the volume of complaints, encourages not only frivolous and vexatious complaints but also inhibits robust discussion.

If posters are complaining about other posters then I believe in fairness that the accused is entitled know who is making accusations against him, then he knows to avoid engaging in discussion with that complainant in the future. but he also must have some form of right of reply.

That genuinely is one of the strangest posts I’ve ever seen on here – and that is saying something!

So are you really saying that I should disband all the mods and let the forum run wild and feral because moderating those who wum and bicker with each other inhibits sensible discussion? The polar opposite is in fact the case.

I said that several good posters have left the site, and 99% of those was because of the bickering and wumming that goes on, ruining threads. It is no secret that posters of a certain nationality often find their threads ruined by people coming on looking to wind up and cause trouble, re-hashing the same tirades over and over again. It is no coincidence therefore that the majority of the decent posters that have left have come from that nation.

Where is the enjoyment of coming on here and trying to talk about rugby but constantly having to deal with wumming and bickering?

If you think that is acceptable I don’t think this place is for you.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 9:37 am

gregortree wrote:Gwlad just LOVES an English thread, even though this one isn't.
No opportunity missed to drone on, and bring out his, old chestnuts of  English arrogance and lack of humility.
England fans know we were properly and deservedly stuffed at the RWC but as this does not suit his narrative.
So he is compelled to create a fantasy world of English arrogance.
The obvious problem for Lancaster and Robshaw was too much niceness and humility, not enough arrogance.
I'm hoping for a bit more edge and a bit more smarts under Jones. I repeat, hope, as there can be no expectation before a ball has been kicked or a team selected. Hope is not arrogance, just pointing that out.

I agree, the English squad will be having lessons in Smarts and edge like they would never have previously imagined. Eddie is big on team culture and it will be interesting to see the progress of the team throughout the month or so of the competition.

On the arrogance thing, I feel the English press havent done the English team any favours and to a lesser extent their fans., for a couple of years prior to last years World Cup the English media wrote about the 2015 WC as if all England had to do was turn up and and the cup was theirs. Probably because Im a New Zealander I was more aware of the Comments made against the All blacks in the English media, If I read once "that New Zealand cant win a World cup away from home" or "no team has won the World cup twice in a row", "New zealand only won the 2011 World cup because Joubert gave it to them", " Richie Mccaw and Dan Carter are past their used by dates" then I read it a thousand times.

Trouble is the English fans believed their media.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 9:51 am

That's just rubbish.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 11 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

That's not true in the slightest Auckland, the press generally get slaughtered by English fans for writing utter tosh. I suspect this is the case in most countries, I know the Welsh generally give their press a hard time, they're just there to sensationalize end of the day.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:05 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:It never dawned on me that people are actually still complaining to the mods, I remember that Linebreaker told me it used to happen a few years back.

That genuinely is one of the strangest posts I’ve ever seen on here – and that is saying something!

So are you really saying that I should disband all the mods and let the forum run wild and feral because moderating those who wum and bicker with each other inhibits sensible discussion? The polar opposite is in fact the case.

I said that several good posters have left the site, and 99% of those was because of the bickering and wumming that goes on, ruining threads.  It is no secret that posters of a certain nationality often find their threads ruined by people coming on looking to wind up and cause trouble, re-hashing the same tirades over and over again.  It is no coincidence therefore that the majority of the decent posters that have left have come from that nation.

Where is the enjoyment of coming on here and trying to talk about rugby but constantly having to deal with wumming and bickering?

RDWS, There must be a lot going on that Im not aware of, If posters cant see past a bit of wumming and get back to the subject at hand then they probably arent a great loss to the forum when they leave.

I know absolutely nothing of the "Certain nation" finding their threads ruined, let alone all the decent posters from "that Nation" leaving the forum. I just dont let any wumming or bickering affect me or take any notice of it.

I just think your reaction is over the top, and you probably are listening too much to those that complain.
I find enjoyment coming on here talking rugby especially with a couple of posters, but I do agree that there are some who are  incapable of conducting any indepth discussion on rugby and its many dimensions. Just dont let them affect you.

Sure You  can tell me that this is not the place for me, thing is  I would probably just dismiss it as you being a  heavy handed and  wouldnt take any notice or let it affect me.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:That's just rubbish.

Presuming you are referring to my remarks, then please tell what have I stated that is rubbish.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

'for a couple of years prior to last years World Cup the English media wrote about the 2015 WC as if all England had to do was turn up and and the cup was theirs. Probably because Im a New Zealander I was more aware of the Comments made against the All blacks in the English media, If I read once "that New Zealand cant win a World cup away from home" or "no team has won the World cup twice in a row", "New zealand only won the 2011 World cup because Joubert gave it to them", " Richie Mccaw and Dan Carter are past their used by dates" then I read it a thousand times.

Trouble is the English fans believed their media. '

That bit.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:12 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:That's not true in the slightest Auckland, the press generally get slaughtered by English fans for writing utter tosh. I suspect this is the case in most countries, I know the Welsh generally give their press a hard time, they're just there to sensationalize end of the day.

Pooly, its probably easier to ask is their any part of my post that is true?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:19 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:'for a couple of years prior to last years World Cup the English media wrote about the 2015 WC as if all England had to do was turn up and and the cup was theirs. Probably because Im a New Zealander I was more aware of the Comments made against the All blacks in the English media, If I read once "that New Zealand cant win a World cup away from home" or "no team has won the World cup twice in a row", "New zealand only won the 2011 World cup because Joubert gave it to them", " Richie Mccaw and Dan Carter are past their used by dates" then I read it a thousand times.

Trouble is the English fans believed their media. '

That bit.

Are you serious? I am trying to work with you here and say "As if all england had to do was turn up and the cup was theirs" that point is a conclusion on my part, henced it is prefixed with "as if" and is nothing more than opinion, but I am somewhat convinced the rest is an accurate version of what occured.

But I'm more than willing to listen.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

I said that several good posters have left the site, and 99% of those was because of the bickering and wumming that goes on, ruining threads.  It is no secret that posters of a certain nationality often find their threads ruined by people coming on looking to wind up and cause trouble, re-hashing the same tirades over and over again.  It is no coincidence therefore that the majority of the decent posters that have left have come from that nation.

RDWS, There must be a lot going on that Im not aware of, If posters cant see past a bit of wumming and get back to the subject at hand then they probably arent a great loss to the forum when they leave.

I know absolutely nothing of the "Certain nation" finding their threads ruined, let alone all the decent posters from "that Nation" leaving the forum. I just dont let any wumming or bickering affect me or take any notice of it.

I just think your reaction is over the top, and you probably are listening too much to those that complain.
I find enjoyment coming on here talking rugby especially with a couple of posters, but I do agree that there are some who are  incapable of conducting any indepth discussion on rugby and its many dimensions. Just dont let them affect you.

Sure You  can tell me that this is not the place for me, thing is  I would probably just dismiss it as you being a  heavy handed and  wouldnt take any notice or let it affect me.

Given that you rarely post in Pro 12 or European rugby games I’m not surprised you are oblivious to these going ons.

You clearly have a very one sided view on this so all I’ll say is, if there is one thing to take away from this, is that I hope you appreciate we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t when it comes to running this site and trying to be fair moderators.  If we intervene we come across as heavy handed (usually accusations levelled by those causing the trouble) yet if we do nothing then people ask why were are not moderating and why we are letting people get away with things, and that ultimately leads to people leaving the site.

On this thread alone you can see these two viewpoints happening!

OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

Except the media (which is a varied mix of quality and thoughts at the best of times) din't all say or imply that England were heavy favourites. The majority of comments on world cup past form said that NZ hadn't won the WC away from home, no one had won 2 in a row and I've never seen the comment about Joubert giving NZ the world cup let alone replicated across the 'English' media (though you probably meant the British here).

I did read that McCaw and Carter were past their best, including some on here who were calling for Cane and Slade to be tried. I think the first part of the comment is correct, they weren't at the peaks of their careers, but I never read or heard the used by dates (who said that?).

I'd also say the majority of pundits and people here said there were a handful of teams who could win, most probably NZ, but that it would be very competitive.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:27 am

I don't understand why the modding is so lenient to that small number who cause all the issues. I wish they were banned for life. These boards are less attractive to visit and no sensible discussions can take place on number of topics simply because of the trolls

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

So aucklandlaurie says we’re far too heavy handed, TJ says we’re far too lenient. As I said – we’re dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t! steam

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:So aucklandlaurie says we’re far too heavy handed, TJ says we’re far too lenient.  As I said – we’re dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t! steam

And you smell funny
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Given that you rarely post in Pro 12 or European rugby games I’m not surprised you are oblivious to these going ons.

You clearly have a very one sided view on this so all I’ll say is, if there is one thing to take away from this, is that I hope you appreciate we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t when it comes to running this site and trying to be fair moderators.  If we intervene we come across as heavy handed (usually accusations levelled by those causing the trouble) yet if we do nothing then people ask why were are not moderating and why we are letting people get away with things, and that ultimately leads to people leaving the site.

On this thread alone you can see these two viewpoints happening!

OK

Thanks RDWS, Im rapidly coming to the conclusion that Im grateful that I dont go into the areas of Pro 12 or European rugby.

I appreciate that you can have "the damned if you do and damned if you dont scenario" and this maybe is where you might have to look at changing tack and trying a different approach,

Question: Do you tell people when they make a complaint, that a copy of their complaint (including their identity) is going to forwarded to the accused and that person will have a right of reply?

Ive never complained about anyone.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:39 am

Yup - the curse of being a Mod - I have modded other forums and know its a thankless task but in this case its a couple of posters who spoil it for the many and who contribute nothing positive so they would be no loss and removing them would help retain the existing members like me who are totally fed up of their antics and as a result visit and post far less than I did

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:40 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:As I said – we’re dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t! steam
Sounds like a quote from the Floods Minister over Christmas Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:41 am

munkian wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:So aucklandlaurie says we’re far too heavy handed, TJ says we’re far too lenient.  As I said – we’re dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t! steam

And you smell funny

I have just changed deodorant, I thought it would help...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:51 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Except the media (which is a varied mix of quality and thoughts at the best of times) din't all say or imply that England were heavy favourites. The majority of comments on world cup past form said that NZ hadn't won the WC away from home, no one had won 2 in a row and I've never seen the comment about Joubert giving NZ the world cup let alone replicated across the 'English' media (though you probably meant the British here).

I did read that McCaw and Carter were past their best, including some on here who were calling for Cane and Slade to be tried. I think the first part of the comment is correct, they weren't at the peaks of their careers, but I never read or heard the used by dates (who said that?).

I'd also say the majority of pundits and people here said there were a handful of teams who could win, most probably NZ, but that it would be very competitive.

I used my New Zealand observations an an example. the phraseology would go something like in the direction of; If no country has ever won consecutive World cups then, then its phrased in such a way that New Zealand wont (or cant) win the 2015 WC. or being a reason/ground. Im not trying to be over reactive (which in one breath Im accusing RDWS) Im just trying to give an explanation why the English get a hard time from some posters from other Countries.

Last edited by aucklandlaurie on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:56 am

Yeah, but when you actually look at the British media you can soon see this isn't the case. Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick at what you were trying to say.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:08 am

7 1/2.And thats another thing, I got severley admonished by a postera couple of weeks ago when I made a referral to a newspaper being English and was told in no uncertain terms that it was a British Newspaper.

In state of mind going from bewilderment to confusion I looked up on the net where the newspaper was located, and the computer said Manchester.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:13 am

Unless it's the Manchester Evening News (or whatever it's called) it's probably going to be British. Look at the Times for example, I wouldn't ever say a guy like Stephen Jones is part of the English media. The national newspapers are sold everywhere. TV is everywhere.

Think you just need to bear in mind what peoples agendas are.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next