The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those 6N's Rivalries

+33
Barney McGrew did it
Luckless Pedestrian
Breadvan
munkian
gregortree
RDW
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
TJ
offload
funnyExiledScot
rodders
RubyGuby
the-goon
lostinwales
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
Gwlad
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
eirebilly
George Carlin
Cyril
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
whocares
Notch
Geordie
BigTrevsbigmac
Shifty
rainbow-warrior
yappysnap
37 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries Empty Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by yappysnap Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:54 am

Just curious to see peoples thoughts on this. A lot is made of the whole England v Wales thing, but is that competitive spirit/dislike actually still as strong as it used to be?

For me I'd say the competitive side is as strong as ever. I have nothing against the Welsh, but they are definitely the fans that give out the most banter (digs) and they're the team that's probably caused England the most pain recently. They're also some of the best fans to chat rugby with in person, and from the times when I've randomly ended up watching games alongside them, can take criticism, a loss and a bit of mocking very well (as well as give it out). But they are definitely the team I dread losing to!

On the pitch I feel there are a few scores to settle as well namely that drubbing in Cardiff, and then the RWC loss (shudders). I hope who ever plays for England remembers those two defeats and uses that pain to make them come out with passion and play right on the edge. The 6n's is all about these historic games, where there is so much back story to every meeting, and this years England v Wales should be particularly spicy.

What other big rivalries are there in the 6N's now?

Feel free to let this become the wumming thread too...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Those 6N's Rivalries Empty Re: Those 6N's Rivalries

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:46 am

As wonderful as it is to beat England let's be honest it is not a rare thing. History shows that we are pretty even.

Wales v Ireland is a far more exciting game for the past 15 or so years.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:00 am

I'd agree with that, from a playing perspective beating Ireland probably shows better form. Beating Wales just feels better.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:56 am

I have never really enjoyed Wales and Ireland matches, I think all those dire games in the 90's have left scars on most Welsh people. Neither side was capable of stringing two passes together if you happened to be the home team. the 1993 loss to Ireland is still the worst game of rugby I have ever seen. If you watched Neil Jenkins in that game you'd be amazed he got another cap for Wales.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:20 am

Is it being 'arrogant' to suggest that all home nations biggest game, if not the team that they most like to beat is England?

From my perspective it would be beating the most in form team & this year you could make a case for every side bar Italy.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Is it being 'arrogant' to suggest that all home nations biggest game, if not the team that they most like to beat is England?

Those 6N's Rivalries 1347041234

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:48 pm

We'll all the other Home Nations certainly up their games a few levels when playing England.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Well the hardest team to beat for us, historically, is France. Even now I feel much more confident and comfortable if we're up against England or Wales than I do when we play France- despite the fact the French haven't been as good as either England or Wales for quite a few years.

So beating France is always the most satisfying result, despite other teams being better than they currently are.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Beating England is the most statisfying thing for the average French rugby supporter but to be honest I would swap one or two of those victories against England for one against Wales which we haven't beaten since 2011.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:21 pm

I enjoy Wales games against England, Ireland and France. Games against Scotland and Italy always seem to be a given, and I don't see that changing this year. I think I also enjoy the matches against the former 3 because they absolutely hate the Welsh and always raise their game a few notches just to be able to compete with us. It's beautiful.

#WalesForTheGrandSlam16

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:00 am

I really want to see Scotland beat Wales. My dad's a Welshy and his winding up has reached intolerable levels.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:08 am

A Calcutta Cup game is always a special event for me. I've lived close to half my life in England surrounded by English rugby fans and married an English chick so I've always enjoyed the banter of those games (at least until kick-off, although thankfully we had three victories in the 2000s whilst I was still down south).

The only other significant and new rivallry is the annual Wooden Spoon contest with Italy Crying or Very sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:34 am

I love the 6N, always have, always will. I remember thirty years ago, my father would take me to watch Wales, as I grew older, I was then on the trips away. My first ever trip was out in Ireland in about 1994-95 when Neil Jenkins scored all our points and we won, I was only about 17-18 and had the time of my life.

For me though, the rivalries have been cyclical. When I was a kid in the eighties it was always about beating France, but I kind of thought that for the English it was about beating Wales. Through the 90's we always had a good ding dong with the Scotts, I remember us never getting a win at Murrayfield for love nor money. In the 00's it had to be Italy with us being just as crap as them, although we did improve from about 2003 onwards and started giving England a run for their money.

Now though for me at this time and decade, our biggest rivals in the 6N has to be Ireland, since the Celtic league was formed, and since Gatland has been in charge, the rivalry between the two nations has been quietly simmering getting more tense every year, last year for me it was at boiling point.

So for me, for the moment, Wale's biggest rivals in the 6N are Ireland.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:41 am

'Le Crunch' with France will always be the big one for me, regardless of the form of either side leading up to it. There's something pretty special about the Anglo-French rivalry.

The tournament itself needs a serious shake-up soon though. I think the crazy final weekend of last year's competition makes us forget there's usually a high number of turgid games played in Feb/March mudbaths. Hopefully the work done on the Scottish and Welsh pitches will improve this somewhat.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:44 am

The whole Wales v England thing is, for me, a hangover from the difficulty in beating them in the 80's, 90's and early 2000s.  Growing up and getting into rugby and rugby support smack bang in the middle of that has developed in me an ingrained belief that England is the 'big one', just because it seemed impossible on so many occasions.  I believe there are a generation like me who feel the same.  Like I say though, it's more a back handed compliment for actually how difficult it was to beat them.  It's not hatred.  saying that, there's probably a generation before me that feels some sort of political angst towards England and the English government for the treatment of industry, etc. but for my age group (born in the late 70s) we don't really feel that IMO, unless there's something passed down from previous generations.  It's all about the sport for us instead.  And the 'big one' thing is wearing off a bit now that beating them is not such a novelty.

Ireland seems to be the 'grudge' match for Wales now - just because of close results in recent times, but with Ireland handing us some whoopings too.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:13 am

Scotland haven't needed an opposition in recent years.

We've done perfectly well to beat ourselves.

Matron (etc).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 am

Interesting points on the Ireland grudge match. I guess you could also add in the factor of big gobs like Keith Wood and Alan Quinlan always talking up their team, and for the most part when they've done so Ireland have gone on to lose! Gatland is still vilified by certain sections in Ireland for some reason, was he not the man to help bring Irish rugby out of the stone age?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 am

Personally, I like the Wales - Ireland matches. Always a bit of niggle, banter and enjoyable days out at both stadiums supported well by both sets of fans. for all the grief that Gatland gets from some sections of the Irish crowd, he always has my respect. An excellent coach in my books thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 am

I think Wales, Scotland and Ireland all see England as the biggest rivalry for their own varying reasons.

It doesn't always relate however to the biggest or best games of the tournament.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:28 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think Wales, Scotland and Ireland all see England as the biggest rivalry for their own varying reasons.

It doesn't always relate however to the biggest or best games of the tournament.

Agreed

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:50 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think Wales, Scotland and Ireland all see England as the biggest rivalry for their own varying reasons.

They do, because we all know how much England fans rate their side because of their performance in RWC 2003, even though they have the 4th worst record in terms of 6 Nations Championship success (we've won more games though etc etc)

Even in the face of last RWC performance there is no humility. hope Eddie jones can bring some and perhaps some success so their talk is finally , at last, backed up by results.

i've a feeling in the short term there will be more of the same , mainly because lancaster bred schoolboys and there is no leaders in the side.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Poor wum.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:12 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Poor wum.

Stating what appears to you to be obvious is even poorer

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Gwlad wrote:

They do, because we all know how much England fans rate their side because of their performance in RWC 2003
, even though they have the 4th worst record in terms of  6 Nations Championship success (we've won more games though etc etc)

Even in the face of last RWC performance there is no humility. hope Eddie jones can bring some and perhaps some success so their talk is finally , at last, backed up by results.

i've a feeling in the short term there will be more of the same , mainly because lancaster bred schoolboys and there is no leaders in the side.

It was like that before then it's just been enhanced considerably since.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:59 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

They do, because we all know how much England fans rate their side because of their performance in RWC 2003
, even though they have the 4th worst record in terms of  6 Nations Championship success (we've won more games though etc etc)

And mods encouraging wumming. Brilliant.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Get over yourself

Its not wumming just because you disagree and don't like the opinion of another poster.

However you choose to shout WUM at every opportunity when you disagree and don't like the opinion of another poster (or probably just my opines).

FACT England won RWC 2003
FACT Every year, ad nauseam, we hear how well they are going to do in this year's 6 Nations, even this year!
FACT They don't do very well each year (except 2011 when they won) They could, should and nearly do but seem to have been unable to convert
FACT They have overwhelming resources in relation to the other home Unions and shoudl be doing better
FACT Selection has been an issue, specifically consistency and the new broom philosophy that lead Lancaster to discard a true centre for a willo the wisp in Burgess and put Barritt out of position in a CRUNCH game against Wales
FACT They have been lead into one of the most embarassing blind alleys at the last RWC by an incompetent coach compounded by a Union that seems equally clueless and yet was talking itself up as a World beater

Because it is unpalatable you call it a WUM. It's the facts so if they wind you up, that's your problem.

No i suggest you find something else to get upset about. I am not making personal remarks i am just relating the FACTS about England.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Most fans get on really well.

Gwlad is a nasty c*nt.

Grow up you silly tw*t.

Mods, grow a pair and sort him out please. He's wrecking every thread.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:58 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

The bolded bit is true. Some England fans need to hit reality, but they seem to be more interested in getting one over on Wales, it's sad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:01 am

It's just getting silly Cyril.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:03 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

The bolded bit is true. Some England fans need to hit reality, but they seem to be more interested in getting one over on Wales, it's sad.

The reverse is also true and to be honest , although I do not read all the Anglo-welsh bickering threads , there seem to be a lot of Welsh frustration directed to English posters for no good reasons. I do not recall seeing many posters here "bigging up" England more than it should really : having come 2nd a few times I an row make them natural contenders of the 6N. That's a fact. It's not like as if I or a Scotland fan (sorry) would be banging around about how our team will win the tournament etc. that would be deemed as arrogance.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:08 am

Welsh wum spoils thread shocker......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:25 am

Cyril wrote:Most fans get on really well.

Gwlad is a nasty c*nt.

Grow up you silly tw*t.

Mods, grow a pair and sort him out please. He's wrecking every thread.

clap clap clap clap

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:42 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Welsh wum spoils thread shocker......

We all have our more patriotic than should be brethren so lets please not get on our high horses over this. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 am

I haven't spotted any other deliberate wind ups posted on every single thread by any other poster of any nationality thumbsup

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:02 am

LordDowlais wrote:

We all have our more patriotic than should be brethren so lets please not get on our high horses over this. OK

It's nothing to do with patriotism LordD, it's just wumming. The same poster just trawls threads about England and looks to derail them. I'm sorry to tarnish the Welsh as on the majority as they're a really good bunch.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:09 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It's nothing to do with patriotism LordD, it's just wumming. The same poster just trawls threads about England and looks to derail them. I'm sorry to tarnish the Welsh as on the majority they're a really good bunch.

I'll second that. If you look at Gwlad's posting history then 90% are attacking/wumming England, possibly 5% are on mixed England/ international threads which are not WUMS and very occasionally he'll post on a welsh thread.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:11 am

It's pretty grim reading......

Gwlad wrote:

They do, because we all know how much England fans rate their side because of their performance in RWC 2003, even though they have the 4th worst record in terms of  6 Nations Championship success (we've won more games though etc etc)

Gwlad wrote:
Pretty sure that all England's ills will be put right by Jones, lets face it it can't get worse, and no doubt 6 Nations dominance will be followed by a glorious English RWC in Japan...interspersed with a successful England dominated Lions tour of NZ. (best send the dwarves a heads up)

Gwlad wrote:
Goes without saying England will come 2nd in the 6 Nations (even though they are 8th in the world)

Gwlad wrote:Of course if anyone bothered to study form they'd know that post RWC is invariably a Welsh 6 Nations.

Of course such a result can only be allowed to happen after England have realized that their chat is not going tone enough to do it this year, again.

If only it was though, England would have won everything including the last RWC

Gwlad wrote:Elite by name but going through the squad in the context of the debacle of the RWC I don't actually think many of the players are elite

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:22 am

#obsessed

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:23 am

Very sad indeed.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:33 am

Cyril was on another thread poking fun at the Welsh national anthem. Why don't you lot go over to that thread and have a go at him as well ? He is doing the same thing as Gwlad is doing.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 am

To be fair personal attacks mean you lose any argument.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:37 am

I just wanted to point out some of the double standards on this forum, it is rife on here, but that is the V2 way I suppose.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 am

LordDowlais wrote:Cyril was on another thread poking fun at the Welsh national anthem. Why don't you lot go over to that thread and have a go at him as well ? He is doing the same thing as Gwlad is doing.

Expressing an opinion which doesn't match yours is not actually offensive in itself, even if its about Wales.

Sometimes Cyril (like a lot of us) crosses the line but saying he doesn't like the Welsh anthem isn't the same as what a couple of Welsh ex pats do any time they come online.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:44 am

LordDowlais wrote:Cyril was on another thread poking fun at the Welsh national anthem. Why don't you lot go over to that thread and have a go at him as well ? He is doing the same thing as Gwlad is doing.

Gwlad is consistently trolling English threads, you obviously don't see it as the normal Welsh poster has little interest in English threads.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:49 am

lostinwales wrote:

Expressing an opinion which doesn't match yours is not actually offensive in itself, even if its about Wales.

Sometimes Cyril (like a lot of us) crosses the line but saying he doesn't like the Welsh anthem isn't the same as what a couple of Welsh ex pats do any time they come online.

I did not say that he said he did not like the Welsh anthem, he was openly taking the p1ss out of it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:51 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Gwlad is consistently trolling English threads, you obviously don't see it as the normal Welsh poster has little interest in English threads.

I must admit, I do not go on the English threads that much, so perhaps I have not seen the extent of his p1ss taking, but there are guilty people on both sides.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:54 am

No doubt LordD, almost everything that he types is a WUM against the English(on threads about English rugby), it's just bizarre.

It just gets extremley boring seeing a poster detail every thread.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:55 am

Even on the anthem thread gwlad has posted his obessional comments.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:55 am

To be fair to Cyril, LD, I was slightly amused by "celebrities" being in the translation too!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

I must admit, I do not go on the English threads that much, so perhaps I have not seen the extent of his p1ss taking, but there are guilty people on both sides.

Check out Gwlad's posting history. (Just in case - profile->statistics->posts)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next