The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves Teams Up With McGuigan

+5
Hammersmith harrier
ONETWOFOREVER
BoxingFan88
AdamT
hazharrison
9 posters

Go down

Groves Teams Up With McGuigan Empty Groves Teams Up With McGuigan

Post by hazharrison Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Groves is now working with Shane McGuigan (alongside Haye and Frampton). Good move?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Groves Teams Up With McGuigan Empty Re: Groves Teams Up With McGuigan

Post by AdamT Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Yeah I think so. A competitive environment along with really good fighters like Haye and Frampton will do him no harm.

Shane seems to be very good young trainer, who is also well schooled on the strength and conditioning side of the game.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Yeah absolutely, Haye and Groves have very similar styles, so should be good for both

Think he may be able to bring the best out of both of them, here is hoping anyway

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:46 pm

Agreed, and also be good to have someone other than Joe Gallagher shooting his mouth off every five minutes

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Young Shane building up a pretty decent stable.

His good work with Frampton has paid off but I still don't know what his ethos is yet, He can't get Haye or Groves to fight like Frampo and he does not have enough experience in the corner but he seems level headed enough.

Lets see.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Could be a good appointment but felt Groves needed a wily older trainer who didn't take any crap, maybe Shane is that man but remains to be seen. It still doesn't alter my opinion that the worst move he ever made was splitting with Booth.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Could be a good appointment but felt Groves needed a wily older trainer who didn't take any crap, maybe Shane is that man but remains to be seen. It still doesn't alter my opinion that the worst move he ever made was splitting with Booth.

Absolutely was, although I think that Shane will be able to get out of Groves that same fire.

He hasn't looked the same since

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:42 pm

I guess haye must have put in a good word. At the moment Shane is a one trick pony in terms of successful fighters. In those circumstances...  Enzo Calzaghe, Virgil hunter, there's always the question of how much is the fighter and how much is the trainer. 

Whichever, hope it works out for him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:58 am

For the sports sake in GB & Ireland, it good to see a new young trainer getting high profile fighters, the training system needs new blood, booth shook the establishment up with Haye & groves. It's good to see him still there with Andy lee, eubank Jr. and Burnett.

Hopefully mcguigan can emulate a bit of that success, and prove himself in his own right as a trainer with a positive influence. I've always been sceptical of him (and his dad), but totally happy to be proven wrong.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Could be a good appointment but felt Groves needed a wily older trainer who didn't take any crap, maybe Shane is that man but remains to be seen. It still doesn't alter my opinion that the worst move he ever made was splitting with Booth.

it was booth who dropped groves according to george.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:34 pm

I like Groves. He's skillful, quick and has a punch. He showed with Froch that he had it in him to be an absolute handful for anyone however he seems to have mindset of a dam good boxer atm but not the assurance of a champion in waiting that he had in the first fight against Froch. He's so nearly there though say compared to Mitchell who is equally trying at the highest level but falling short rather alarming at the moment. Hope the pieces click together with McGuigan

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:52 pm

OasisBFC wrote:

it was booth who dropped groves according to george.

The impression I get from Groves is that he wants to blame everyone else for his defeats and seems to think he's a lot better than he is. I think he's good and on talent should have beaten Jack comfortably but he has to do more than just show up and land a couple of power shots.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down