The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It?

+4
Adam D
dyrewolfe
Fernando
JoshSansom
8 posters

Go down

Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It? Empty Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It?

Post by JoshSansom Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:04 pm

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/626833-gunner-talks-role-in-new-horror-movie-how-he-got-the-part-his-military-background-helping-him-in-the-film-wrestling-being-a-priority-more

Its puntastic... but to the slightly more serious point do those of the iMPACT persuasion believe that he would a) have enough of something to make it in WWE and/or b) think that he has the something that would make WWE interested?

I cannot claim to be an avid TNA watcher though I did go through a phase a few years ago (I think we all do) where I watched most weeks. He seemed then to be young sort paired with someone more experienced/talented playing on a character being "intense" which for me was a buzz phrase for one dimensional and can't really talk. That may have changed and/or have been unfair. However, he did have a striking look and a something that drew attention even if not money.

So... back to the point at the top. Yay or nay? Gunner make it? Or really just an oversized cannon firing blanks?

Still puntastic.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It? Empty Re: Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It?

Post by Fernando Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:14 pm

I actually quite liked Gunner as a wrestler in TNA, He had a decent look about him in general and could wrestle reasonably well. He won't make it to WWE but he has the look that they like.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It? Empty Re: Gunner Try for WWE... Gunner Make It?

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

Not even one of their secondary shows? I wouldn't expect him to be a main eventer or anything, but I would've thought he could be a good mid carder, at least.

I saw him quite a bit and would generally agree with Nando about his in-ring ability. He really only lacked a good character. He has the ex-military gimmick that could be developed further and we got to see a different side of him when he tried to mentor Samuel Shaw...so I think he has the potential...he just needs a bit of creative direction IMO.

I freely admit I've seen very little WWE lately, but even some of the marquee names like Orton, Cena and Rollins don't strike me as outstanding wrestlers, (good but not great), so the fact he isn't 5 star in that sense shouldn't be a problem.

WWE's strength seems to be in developing characters that audiences can care about (even if they can be a little clichéd). In that respect he'd definitely need help.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:34 pm

I was always a very pro Gunner supporter. I think he has everything needed to be a top star. Out of all the balls dropped by TNA, this is up their with one of their biggest.

Great look, very good in the ring (incredibly intense) and pretty decent on the stick. If you gave him an angle say against Rusev, he could really main event in my opinion.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

I've nothing against Gunner, indeed I'm quite pro him.

But my initial thought is that WWE has a lot of talent that it really isn't using (at least on its main shows). Adam Rose, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Fandango, Heath Slater, Jack Swagger...

I'll happily take the argument that Gunner is in the upper ecelons of this group, but I honestly think there is enough there that they should be finding roles for in their mid-card before they add to it.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:51 pm

Adam Rose, - Joke character that is unlikely to ever be taken seriously.
Bo Dallas, - see above. Also, is quite small
Curtis Axel, - Unfortunately tainted with his failed pushes
Damien Sandow, - should be squashing Lesnar but hey ho.
Fandango, - See Bo Dallas
Heath Slater, - See Fandango
Jack Swagger...- Cant cut a promo but has everything else.

Gunner is way ahead of all of these and would be a believable badass if built right. He reminds me of Reigns but better. (Roman not Luther)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 06 Oct 2015, 7:17 pm

I've always been a big fan of Gunner, not seen much of him if any in the last 2/3 years but loved his look amd his intensity added to that the rich back story of him being a genuine gunner for the Marine Corp in Iraw then I always felt he could be a big big player, the WWE have the means to make him a really big deal, I'd love to see him as a heel, annoyed that the likes of John Cena takes on the roll as the official Armed Forces guy yet he's the one who was on the front line yadda yadda yadda...Think SGT Slaughter only better if they allowed him time to develop his character and tell his story.

He'd be the heel because he'd be a peed off, chip on the shoulder bad guy but I think people could also empathise with him to due to everyone deep down knowing his point would be genuine

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 06 Oct 2015, 7:35 pm

Adam D wrote:Adam Rose, - Joke character that is unlikely to ever be taken seriously.
Bo Dallas, - see above. Also, is quite small
Curtis Axel, - Unfortunately tainted with his failed pushes
Damien Sandow, - should be squashing Lesnar but hey ho.
Fandango, - See Bo Dallas
Heath Slater, - See Fandango
Jack Swagger...- Cant cut a promo but has everything else.

Gunner is way ahead of all of these and would be a believable badass if built right. He reminds me of Reigns but better. (Roman not Luther)

All of those guys could be believable bad asses if built right, especially Swagger, Axel, Sandow and even Rose (See Leo Kruger).

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 06 Oct 2015, 7:59 pm

Adam D wrote:
Gunner is... a believable badass if built right. He reminds me of Reigns but better. (Roman not Luther)

I've missed you

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:31 pm

Well Gunner did start off as a heel...basically TNA management's attack dog to beat down anyone they weren't happy with. He got these semi-regular appearances, where he was just billed as this angry "chip on the shoulder" guy who would come out and squash whoever he was ordered to.

But thats very one-dimensional and uninteresting IMO. We got to see more of the real man behind the character when he started getting regular appearances and partnered with the other main players on the roster. I think he has the talent to be a deeper more interesting character...with a little help maybe.

In fact I think he should be booked a bit like Drew Galloway - the angry badass face. I think that would play to the strengths of his military service background a lot better. Imagine him being the Vigilante instead of Sting! Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down