The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
Corporalhumblebucket
chichestersurryfan
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL Empty SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 Sep 2015, 5:09 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL AGAINST GLOUCESTERSHIRE AT LORD’S ON SATURDAY.
Zafar Ansari is unavailable for selection due to the thumb injury he sustained in the recent LV=County Championship match against Lancashire. Sad Azhar Mahmood is named in the squad for the first time in this year’s competition. Shocked
The Surrey squad to play Gloucestershire in the Royal London One Day Cup Final at Lord’s on Saturday 19th September:
Gareth Batty (capt)
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Azhar Mahmood
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
no sign of the burger van chaps Erm
tough to call the 3 who will face cup final heartbreak
no point in naming mahmood if he isn't going to play
so i'll go kapil,dunn and foakes ( if wilson can keep)
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

JimBob - thanks for this stand alone thread.

Agree with your comment about Azhar. [Just exchanged emails with my man Spiller who brilliantly called his inclusion.]

I know the Corporal will be a bit disappointed that the Burger Van won't be flipping his stuff tomorrow but it would have been a very big call to give him his only first team game this season in a Lord's final. Who ever we select and leave out, there's going to be a fair bit of inexperience in our attack anyway.

So difficult to call the unlucky 3 - especially as we don't know the extent of any injuries. Anyway, I'll have a wild guess later.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 18 Sep 2015, 7:07 pm

I've never seen Azher play for Surrey so looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow all being well...shame about the Burger Van too....

I am sure that Simon and the Corporal will give excellent comprehensive reports tomorrow night.....here's hoping to a great day tomorrow come what may....

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 18 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

To be fair I wouldn't expect Burger Van suddenly walk straight into the cup final team - that would be a massive call.

I would be reasonably confident that Kapil and Azhar won't both be in the team.  I think Jimbob's suggested line up is probably the most likely.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

My guess on the unlucky 3 - Dunn, Burke and Wilson. I suspect Wilson might not be fit enough; if he's ok, Burns to miss out. My left field choice (that's for you, Carlos  Wink ) is that Kapil will play as a number 7 bat and 6th bowler.

Those of you there tomorrow have a great day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 18 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

I do worry a little bit whether Azhar Mahmood (age 40) is fully match fit. He hasn't played since July (apart from yesterday's fund raiser at The Oval). He hasn't played in the 50 over competition so far this season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm

Corporal - re Azhar: that's very much what Spills said to me tonight in his email.

I would try to get him to bowl as many of his overs as he can on the reel.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 Sep 2015, 8:58 pm

guildfordbat wrote:My guess on the unlucky 3 - Dunn, Burke and Wilson. I suspect Wilson might not be fit enough; if he's ok, Burns to miss out. My left field choice (that's for you, Carlos  Wink ) is that Kapil will play as a number 7 bat and 6th bowler.
guildford have you started early Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2015, 9:04 pm

Not a drop today, JimBob! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

As an outsider looking in, I wouldn't be too pleased if Mahmood took the place of an 'up and comer' in Burke, who has played quite a few matches in the tournament so far. Overseas 40 year old over a youngster who has done well. Sends the wrong message in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck for the final Smile

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

Roy, Davies, Sanga, Burke, Wilson, S Curran, Mahmood, Burke, T Curran, Batty, Dernbach is the side

We have won the toss and will bowl first

CMON THE REY
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

Jimbo - I understand your comment. In some defence, I would say that Mahmood is a direct replacement for Ansari. Although young, Ansari is not an 'up and comer' but an established key component.

Some sympathy for Kapil who misses out (whilst Burke plays). Kapil has normally been our 12th or 13th man and has played a couple of games filling in for other absent players in this year's tournament. Kapil may count himself unlucky today but he only had a chance of playing because of Ansari's even more unfortunate injury.

PS Excellent call by JimBob on the 3 experiencing ''cup final heartbreak'' - you can tell he's an emotional Gooner with expressions like that! Wink

PPS Excellent toss to win. Bowling is what I would have done at 10:30 in the second half of September. B*ll*cks being spoken on Sky about us ''ripping up our winning plans of batting first''. Our approach has been determined today and in every game according to all the circumstances applying.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:30 am

DERNBACH GETS KLINGER THIRD BALL!!!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

A second wicket for Surrey and Dernbach - that should peg 'em back a bit.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

60-2 off 15 - in the balance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

From Sky a minute ago.

Hussain - ''Foakes had to be left out because of the balance of the side. Foakes would have played if Ansari had been fit.'' Shocked Don't agree and don't follow the logic.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

Poor keeping from Wilson there
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:37 am

Poor cricket from Batty and some of the Surrey fielders in Batty's first over.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:From Sky a minute ago.

Hussain - ''Foakes had to be left out because of the balance of the side. Foakes would have played if Ansari had been fit.'' Shocked Don't agree and don't follow the logic.

Bizarre comment - anyways I'd have gone for Foakes today ahead of Wilson but it's a judgement call
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

Colville again banging on about ''Surrey deciding to tear up their game plan which had got them to this stage''.  mad

Key politely telling him it was a decision made for this wicket.

Incidentally, Surrey regard Key highly as a cricket man. They consulted him before appointing Graham Ford (ex Kent head coach).

Another wide from Batty but - for almost the first time today - some smart keeping from Wilson gets Marshall stumped.

Now 18 overs gone and it's 83/3. Gloucs have a few more runs than I would have liked but it's the last figure that is most important.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

Would like to see Burke brought on here....quite often a wicket taker and another 1/2 here puts us right on top
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

2-28 off 10 overs - brilliant from azhar
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - re Azhar: that's very much what Spills said to me tonight in his email.

I would try to get him to bowl as many of his overs as he can on the reel.

Pleased that Batty has obviously been reading this thread! Wink

Great spell from Azhar although a lot of credit also goes to Dernbach for having bowled so well at the start. That meant the 40 year old was already in a decent place when he began his 10 overs.

Back later

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

This is awful stuff from Curran and dernbach
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

Well jade shut me up - finishes with a hat trick! Although that last decision is a awful one from the umpire
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

Just caught the last ball of the innings, probably one of the worst umpire calls Ihave ever seen.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 19 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

Could be the pure got caught up in the moment. In any case, Surreybowled very well apart from a few loose moments.

Equation is simple: if we bat sensibly and the top order don't think subconsciously someone else will do it for us, we should win this without great alarms.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:55 pm

Now back and caught up.

A few wobbles by Surrey with the ball but we generally did well. Cracking stuff by Dernbach - I actually thought he was at his best up front.

We're currently 81/2 off 20. Seems good although a couple of wickets in the next few overs would give the game a very different look.

Edit PS Thought it was an extremely good and even more important catch by Sam Curran to account for Taylor. That really led to the rot setting in for Gloucs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

Sanga looking so elegant and fully in control as he notches yet another half-century. Burns doing a lot more than just riding shotgun - as I've posted recently, I find it surprising that his regular contributions have gone so much under the radar.

Under a hundred needed now. 122/2 off 30. Ours to win or lose from here, surely the former.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 19 Sep 2015, 4:49 pm

Asaph! Sanga - what was that??? Shovels a waist high full toss tamely to wide deep
Mid on. Just what we didn't need: Glos have a tiny tony sniff?...

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Even worse.

Burns needlessly down the track only to be stumped and, per Atherton, ''this game has a very different complexion''. [He's also been reading this thread! Wink ]

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

Wilson goes for an utterly indifferent 8 off 15. It's now the Dads & Sons game with Azhar and Pitt the Very Very Young indeed. Surrey now in real trouble. 56 needed off 9.4

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

Wilson still averaging well under 20 in his list a career....still somehow in keeping foakes out the side.....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

166/5 off 41 as Wilson goes.

Gloucs more in this game now than they have been since the third ball of the morning.

Anxious.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Wilson goes for an utterly indifferent 8 off 15. It's now the Dads & Sons game with Azhar and Pitt the Very Very Young indeed. Surrey now in real trouble.  56 needed off 9.4

Just mentioned by Atherton (about the only Sky guy who hasn't irritated me today) that Azhar made his Test debut before Sam was born! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:28 pm

Surrey finding it hard to blast the ball with Gloucs having their slower bowlers on. Smith currently doing a good job.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm

Evening all. Been watching the tennis ; but I have a stream now so will see if I can get you chaps over the line...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:36 pm

A warm welcome, Alfie. A long standing family event / lunch kept me away from Lord's today and then I had to hide the remote control from Mrs Bat to stop her watching the tennis! Wink

6 down now. 30 needed off 32 - they didn't get any wickets for once but the Currans could still take the headlines ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:36 pm

Mahmood got a bit carried away then...just needed to push singles and Curran will win the match...

What are your last four like , guildford ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:37 pm

Eek
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:40 pm

alfie wrote:Mahmood got a bit carried away then...just needed to push singles and Curran will win the match...

What are your last four like , guildford ?

Not bad, Alfie. Tom Curran can bat and likes to get on with it. Burke is ok but he is a nervous starter - he might drop down to 10. Batty is the old hand who got 50 not out in the Champo against Lancs this week. Last  is Dernbach - little batting ability or nous.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

Now there is a time for the reverse sweep ; but when you only need run a ball and your partner is set - don't think that was one of them.

Tense now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

Another atrocious bit of umpiring
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:44 pm

TC goes (wrongly) lbw. Gloucs now favourites. Burke very much the quiet man - can he step up?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:46 pm

Olly wrote:Another atrocious bit of umpiring

Evens out really, Gloucestershire got a shocker as well

Much closer than this should have been, Surrey should have walked this

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm

Still fancy the batting team . 18 from 18

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm

Even better 11 from 12...

Burke doing OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:57 pm

Yes, Burke's doing ok. Good and and interesting signing by Surrey, Alfie - cricinfo will probably give an outline.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

Trying to hit too hard...bat on ball !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

Burke run out off the last ball of the 49th. As long as we're not bowled out, we need 6 from the last over to take the trophy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next