The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

+22
Alistair
Hoggy_Bear
Galted
Mr Bounce
compelling and rich
ShahenshahG
MIG
President Trump
Ent
westisbest
incontinentia
ONETWOFOREVER
JuliusHMarx
Hero
Stella
Dr Shoe
seanmichaels
Rowley
lfc91
rIck_dAgless
Dolphin Ziggler
TRUSSMAN66
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? - Page 2 Empty James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Kind of a proud British institution and rightly so.......The whole world knows James Bond...........

Let's face it that whole Queen thing during 2012 certainly guaranteed SKYFALL was to be a success......She kind of gave it the seal.

Hopkins has played a famous American giant in Nixon and he did a good job.....Got the accent pretty much spot on....and fairplay ..Accents for actors aren't that bigger deal !!

Craig is looking old now and hasn't got long to go.............Should Bond always be British ?? or would you be happy for an American to put on a Brit accent..??

Is Bond sacred ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:04 pm

The press are all clamouring for Idris Elba to be Bond. It is not going to happen. He's 43 now. By the time Daniel Craig has fulfilled his Bond contract in about 3 years time he'll be 46. That is too old for anyone to start playing Bond. I know that Roger Moore played him until he was 57, but despite suspending reality for any Bond film, I cannot accept that a 57 year old knocking hardened agents out with one punch is in any way believable...

One name which hasn't come up in this discussion yet is Henry Cavill. For all his blandness in the Superman film, he's been considered before (he was too young) and has shown he can carry off the suave gentleman in the recent Man from UNCLE film. Damian Lewis could also be seen as too old by the time the gig next comes around. Jack O'Connell is a good shout if the producers want to keep the "thug-style" Bond that is Daniel Craig but he is very young at 25.

However, I think they'll go for a more elegant type of actor - that would point to the well-established Michael Fassbender. A left-field example could be Luke Evans, but it's debatable whether an openly gay actor would be considered for the role. Personally I think he'd do a fantastic job.

I always thought that Lewis Collins, Clive Owen and Dougray Scott would've made great Bonds.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by Galted Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm

In these days of the great government austerity drive a Bond from Yorkshire would make a lot of sense. The natural Yorkshire frugality would blend well with the suave ruggedness Yorkshiremen have in abundance. No need for Q and his f*cking gadgets when a shovel and a lantern would do just fine (perhaps a shotgun as well). And no need for a poncy Dunhill lighter, the Yorkshire Bond could light his Capstan Full Strength by rubbing his stubble against a cobbled road to create a flame. It's f*cking ridiculous that we've had Bonds from Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Australia when God's own country is left out. I put it down to petty southerners jealous of Yorkshire.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 11 Sep 2015, 12:29 am

Charlie Hunnam or Jamie Dornan ould make good Bond's IMHO.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 7:52 am

So what are you saying galted? That I should be the next Bond? I'm up for it if they want to get in touch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:01 am

Rowley wrote:So what are you saying galted? That I should be the next Bond? I'm up for it if they want to get in touch.

You or Joe Root. Julius and Shah would make excellent Bond villains.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

Fassbender would be a great choice for Bond, he can certainly pull it off.

I think Cumberbatch though, he's shown in Sherlock he can play the nerdy, geeky type, at the same time he played Khan in Star Trek and pulled off the physical, confrontational side very well.

As for the age thing, Dalton was 43 when he first played Bond.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:So what are you saying galted? That I should be the next Bond? I'm up for it if they want to get in touch.

You or Joe Root. Julius and Shah would make excellent Bond villains.

Joe Root would be worth it just for the reaction it would cause in the angry Kiwi.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:06 am

Alistair wrote:As for the age thing, Dalton was 43 when he first played Bond.

Maybe, but he only did it twice. I think they'd be looking for a bit of longevity and Idris Elba would only be good for a couple of films before he started getting a touch of the Roger Moores.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Think they are also keen to go with the grittier Bond who looks like he could kick your head in, if this is the case the age thing becomes a bigger factor. The latter Moore films were laughable. I think I could have battered him by then.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Mr Bounce wrote:
Alistair wrote:As for the age thing, Dalton was 43 when he first played Bond.

Maybe, but he only did it twice. I think they'd be looking for a bit of longevity and Idris Elba would only be good for a couple of films before he started getting a touch of the Roger Moores.

Does it need longevity though, could we not have a transitional Bond?

Dalton was still scheduled to play Bond in Goldeneye even though his contract had expired, he would've been 50 when it started filming.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:15 am

Tom Hardy, great actor and makes me feel suitably inept as a male to boot.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:20 am

Hardy for me is too brash to play Bond. He'd be more suited as a villains henchman. Granted, he'd look like he's going to kick your teeth in, but i can imagine him looking quite clumsy trying to fire a rocket from a pen.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

Fassbender would be my first choice, good age, and the right mixture between suave and a big unit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

Perhaps he and Cumberbatch could fight it out.

What about Dominic Cooper?

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

Hardy could pull it off. He pulled Bronson off (not literally), which after seeing him in Layer cake, surprised me.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

I would not have a problem with Hardy. Would not struggle to persuade TSMR to watch Bond again for as long as he was in it, she loves him, as most women seem to do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

Can we leave the Idri elba Love sacks. I am sorry but he is black. That is not racist, it is fact - Bond is the son of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, of the Canton de Vaud.[35]

I would go for Richard Armitage, he could bring the cheese back sadly missed in the last few films.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:42 am

is there still talk of a female bond? Maybe a black female, so everyone can feel happy!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Stella wrote:is there still talk of a female bond? Maybe a black female, so everyone can feel happy!

Except me, and I take this stuff way more seriously than it deserves.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Zoe Saldana.

Failing that, Serena Williams. She's brutal. Nobody would mess with her.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

Rowley wrote:
Stella wrote:is there still talk of a female bond? Maybe a black female, so everyone can feel happy!

Except me, and I take this stuff way more seriously than it deserves.

The PC brigade will be happy!

Is this definitely Craig's last film? I like him as Bond, though Skyfall was very disappointing, after all the hype.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

Bond definitely has to be a white male, I think Idris is brilliant but would much rather he did a couple more series of Luther than go anywhere near Bond.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

He's not confirmed, it's just rumoured.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:28 am

I would go with Seann William Scott or Tom Daley

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

Dr Shoe wrote:I would go with Seann William Scott or Tom Daley

Not sure Scott is that way inclined. Daley is a possibility though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

In all seriousness, I could see Rufus Sewell play him. Or a villain. I just want to see Sewell in a Bond film!

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 7:11 pm

Best British Option: Paul Bettany  Cold, cold eyes when needed in the killer zone - a calm elegant warmth otherwise.  World-weary enough.  Coolest British actor on the block.

Well.... maybe Welsh actor Luke Evans has the right look and presence of Bond too.

German/Irish (not British) actor Michael Fassbinder perhaps in the zone but not for me.  Too thespian a build rather than that of a man who has lived a life of danger and physical intensity.

American option - Josh Brolin.  The charisma, the look, the range as an actor to do it with enough subtlety to keep Bond immersed in suave and clinical rather than over-the-top gung ho.

But the perfect Bond is already in situ.  Craig will take a lot of beating and many years will pass before anyone comes close again - black, white, female or LGBT Wink.  
Those ice eyes and that oh so dangerous voice.  Pity the movies themselves often let him down by giving too big a role to his co-stars (cough! Judi Dench).  As always with movie makers, whenever they have a perfect character given to them (Bond/Batman etc) they always try to be smart by giving the bigger roles to anybody but the very heros people come to watch.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

Think Carl Weathers would have been a better black bond than anyone else I've seen..

Action Jackson was a cracking film..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

Jeff wants Colin Jackson to be the next James Bond.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Nov 2015, 11:31 pm

Damian Lewis odds have been slashed to be the next Bond....Lots of money being splashed on the Homeland star....Smoke without fire ??

Damian Lewis 5/2
Tom Hardy 5/2
Henry Cavill 6/1
Idris Elba 10/1
Michael Fass 14/1....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:01 am

Fassbender will get the role.

But why not have Pratt? Since he's in everything now anyway. xD

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 12 Nov 2015, 7:57 am

A gay actor wouldn't be an issue, as long as the character didn't become a gay character to please certain easily offended people.

Also Pierce Brosnan was suave and English as Bond, and he's Irish. So I don't think the actor's heritage is an issue as long as he can play the role properly.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 2:30 pm

Perhaps bond could become a gay, black, amputee so as to offend absolutely no-one

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 12 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

What about racist, homophobic, limbophiles... They would be well offended.

Despite having friends who are rainbow coloured with an arbritrary amount of limbs, and are tri-sexual, GOSPEL.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 12 Nov 2015, 2:59 pm

Heather Mills might get offended for being overlooked for the role.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 5:43 pm

Tom Hardy or Phillip Winchester, for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

Not sure Hardy is interested...

He gets interesting roles....May feel Bond could change all that..

Besides Craig was excellent...I'd rather follow a dud like Dalton than compete with him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:46 pm

Bendyd!ick CumberlandSausage

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Heather Mills might get offended for being overlooked for the role.

I think Heather would be great for the villain role. Foxfur Fanny - lethal assassin with disguised sniper rifle components making up her false leg.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:42 pm

Also a face that could disembowel a cow a fifty metres

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Nov 2015, 8:41 pm

No way should Fassbender be Bond...

An alpha male should get the role..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2016, 4:40 pm

Tom Hiddleston 1/2 for the role..............

You don't get odds like that unless its pretty much signed and sealed...

Looks like Elba will miss out..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 4:44 pm

Don't see Hiddleston as an Alpha male type though. He's more the Gary Oldman/Tim Roth British baddie. Look at the ad he did for Jaguar, he's perfect Bond villain material...not that they'd know a decent Bond villain if it took over the world and stroked a white cat on the front steps of Buckingham palace whilst a pack of robo-dogs ate the Queen's corpse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 6:32 pm

Craig has done such a good job, it's like following on from Sir Alex or along those lines. Add in that Hiddlestone is not unanimously wanted in he first place, unfortunately points towards a George Lazenby type lifespan as James Bond.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 May 2016, 7:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Tom Hiddleston 1/2 for the role..............

You don't get odds like that unless its pretty much signed and sealed...

Looks like Elba will miss out..

Elba has been kinda doing some shooting of his own foot in recent times when he lamented 'growing old'.

Not a good start for a new Bond. "OH your hips need replacing already James? And we haven't even finished the first prologue action scene"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 25 May 2016, 9:21 pm

Elba did "Bastille Day" which showed he clearly wasn't "right" for the Bond role IMHO. He's all wrong for the role. A fantastic actor, but he's as much James Bond material as Sandi Toksvig.

I think Hiddleston could work quite well as we need a more suave Bond as a contrast to Craig's blunt instrument. However, he does lack a bit of physicality. I'm sure the gym monkeys will have him work on that.

I personally would have liked Henry Cavill but maybe he's unavailable.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 25 May 2016, 9:51 pm

Think Cavill ould be a good Bond, also Fassbender.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 26 May 2016, 9:51 am

Mr Bounce wrote:

I think Hiddleston could work quite well as we need a more suave Bond as a contrast to Craig's blunt instrument.

So it's back to Bonkin' Bond - to re-interest the ladies?

Oh Dear.............. no more Bonds for me for a decade or so.... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2016, 10:02 am

It's amazing looking back at just what a perfect fit Connery was for the role....Owned the screen..

If there is an X factor Connery had it.......

In fact they shouldn't have a second best Bond......It should go from number 1 to 3...Such is the difference...

Goldfinger for me will always be the film...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 26 May 2016, 10:32 am

But Goldfinger was more than Connery.  
Goldfinger had the 60s,
Goldfinger had people who knew the art of cinema (a knowledge that's dying out fast),
Goldfinger had John Barry (in my opinion 3/4 of the lure of Bond actually, as his music was often more 'visually' compelling than the movies themselves)
Goldfinger had Gert Fröbe - a guy who always allowed his characters to loom larger than life.

I always say Daniel Craig's Bond was wasted by Production people that don't know (or probably care) how large a canvas the movie screen can be.  
Sam Mendes - you just can see his constant yearning for the intimacy of a stage.  The scripts, too wordy, too pseudo-deep - and too many of the bit characters (M) get far too much screen time.

Had Craig the guys who made the 60s movies.... then things would have been perfect. Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next