The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ??

+9
Coxy001
milkyboy
Soldier_Of_Fortune
AdamT
Dipper Brown
aja424
catchweight
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ?? Empty Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

Smith
-------

Seems to be in Hearn's pocket so bad.....He'll by any old crap from him...

Insults the viewer by telling them any old crap is mouthwatering....

Has the superb Robinson in the wings.... More than capable of presenting and dealing with Hearn...

Halling
--------

The worst fight caller I've ever seen or heard.....

Doesn't seem interested in anything the "Opponent" is doing...........

Plays ever willing fan boy for Hearn or apologist.........

Can't score a fight to save his life..

Start with Smith and work our way down..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ?? Empty Re: Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ??

Post by Guest Wed 12 Aug 2015, 10:14 pm

The sound of Halling offends me greatly. .the sight and sound of Smith offends me more. Corporate lady of loose morals of the highest order and his inability to pronounce Kostya Tzsyu correctly is enough to sign his death warrant. ..or his P45

Back to top Go down

Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ?? Empty Re: Smith or Halling - If you could fire one which would it be ??

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 12 Aug 2015, 11:09 pm

Halling is worse for me

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 12 Aug 2015, 11:41 pm

I think the problem is Skys boxing product and how they want to pitch it. The comentary and coverage is obviously a reflection of what they think of the target audience. They want it to be as broad based as possible so that any joe soap flicking through could sit through it and follow dumbed down boxing coverage.

Smith suppsosedly behind the scences has fought hard for boxing on Sky in pretty difficult circumstances so I dont think he all bad.

Halling is actually a pretty commentator that is more well informed than he lets on but he is clearly under orders to play a certain role.

Personally I think its guys like Watt who is supposed to be the analyst that knows his stuff that come across poorly. Halling is just there to tow a line (most of the time he doesnt believe his own waffle). Watt is meant to actually do the analysis and insight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:24 am

Sky have enough ex boxers now which rotate to cover the boxing, that surely a couple of them could step up without needing Smith or Halling.
It works for Match of the Day on Saturday, with the Irish analyst bringing nothing to the show on a Sunday, in my opinion.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:45 am

Smith is easier to ignore. Halling is there fight night, in your ear. Far worse. Halling out.

One thing that surprises me is Halling's ignorance. I wonder if it's put on. He covered NFL for years and that's not a sport you can blag. I'm not a fan at all but there seems to be so much minutiae to every single play and action, surely he'd be torn apart by the anoraks if he displayed a lack of knowledge. Has he been brought in by sky as the every man to appeal to the casual fan?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 13 Aug 2015, 7:37 am

Put Carl Froch on commentary if it's a sh1t fight. He can entertain us with his usual bile.

He could break the world record for mentioning, Wembley,Warrior,Groves,Calzaghe and cobbles in an hour.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 13 Aug 2015, 9:44 am

Smith has too much bias to be a pundit or on the commentary team for Sky.

Either mention one of the Smith Bro's, Team Gallagher or Amir Khan (lets Team Gallagher use his gym). Listen to the bias that ensues

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:24 am

IHalling by a distance. At least smith likes boxing and has a rudimentary understanding of it.

Actually I hate whoever hired halling more. Which could have been smith.Whistle

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:38 am

Much prefer to listen to Smith. Halling is bloody woeful and not sure we have anyone here who actually enjoys his commentary?!

Why oh why can't they bring back Darke? Quite enjoyed listening to him.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:26 am

because darke is with BT

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:30 am

Darke is the best UK commentator since reg... went to Espn and bt sport. Maybe they pay better, or maybe they don't script their commentaries and the guy has some integrity.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:31 am

Yeah I know wheelchair, was more just wishful thinking than anything else.

Perhaps they can get Paulie over.... Heck, I'd rather listen to Katie Price commentate.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Coxy001 wrote:Yeah I know wheelchair, was more just wishful thinking than anything else.

Perhaps they can get Paulie over.... Heck, I'd rather listen to Katie Price commentate.

I agree with you on Paulie, however he would not be a Matchroom PR guy like Halling is so doubt he would even get a look in

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:38 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:Yeah I know wheelchair, was more just wishful thinking than anything else.

I agree with you on Paulie, however he would not be a Matchroom PR guy like Halling is so doubt he would even get a look in

Alright strongy, quieten down Wink

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:49 am

I actually don't mine Smith or Halling. It's Watt that I'd happily insert into a rocket and fire into the sun.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:I actually don't mine Smith or Halling. It's Watt that I'd happily insert into a rocket and fire into the sun.

That sounds like "good news"....

How many times has Watt uttered "it's a disgrace" at a decision....

When Hatton fought Mayweather "I've got Mayweather well ahead but let's hope the judges have been watching something else!!"

Dear oh dear...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:29 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:

I have never been so insulted Smile

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:

If someone likened me to a guy that owned half of Ireland......Had six castles (one in the middle of the town center) could Squat 400 natural at 16 and had six degrees...........

I'd be honored...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:

If someone likened me to a guy that owned half of Ireland......Had six castles (one in the middle of the town center) could Squat 400 natural at 16 and had six degrees...........

I'd be honored...

Where has strongy gone by the way? Banned? Come back as Shenglong? Got lost in one of his 923 room mansions?

I want answers.

I think the guy who does the BBC radio boxing stuff is actually alright (guy who did the Olympic boxing?). Apart from he sounds a bit ghetto.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:41 pm

He's currently helping Greece sort out their money woe's, they needed the best this world had to offer

Unfortunately they couldn't afford his wages so we lent them Strongy Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 4:19 pm

Should check out coverage here in Ireland on RTE1 & 2, no nonsense stuff, in soccer, Gaelic football/Hurling and in boxing.

When Graeme Souness went to Sky Sports from RTE he told their chief execs, that they need to take a leaf out of the RTE books, because vocal opinions and truths spark debate and generate interest in the pre and post match analysis.

In Irleand we would often watch a sporting event and the complete build up and post match/fight chat to the very end.

In Britain it seems that people switch over when the match is on and then switch it over to Antiques Roadshow when its over, or often use the "mute" button before and after a game???

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

If you don't live in Britain Sheng. .

How do you know..

I thought Belfast was part of Britain ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 13 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm

Its obvious Sky sports chiefs, no nowt about boxing, otherwise they wouldn't have these 2 clowns on, sack them both, or give them a job commentating on carpet bowls.

Sky should poach Al Bernstein,knows his stuff and been around years.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 13 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm

Sky sports are plenty opinionated on boxing Sheng. It's just a shame that the opinion is generally 'Local boy done good/ local boy robbed'.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down