The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

+37
EST
Manky-Flanker
InjuredYetAgain
JonnyEdinburgh
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
highland_scot
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
VinceWLB
des
justified sinner
cakeordeath
A Simply Mesmeric Try
lostinwales
IanBru
Prothero
Imperialbigdave
madmaccas
TJ
nickj
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
cp10
Weegie Wizard
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
BigGee
Majestic83
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
41 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Time Honoured Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Dave-a10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii

A. Edinburgh (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Patek10 
Players In
William Helu from Wasps
Nasi Manu from Highlanders
Nathan Fowles from Sale Sharks
Michael Allen from Ulster
Jack Cosgrove from Worcester Warriors

Players Out
Tom Heathcote to Worcester Warriors
Grayson Hart to Glasgow Warriors
Ollie Atkins to Exeter Chiefs
Tim Visser to Harlequins

B. Glasgow (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Flik_f10
Players In
Simone Favaro from Benetton Treviso
Grayson Hart from Edinburgh
Kieran Low from London Irish
Mike Blair from Newcastle Falcons
Sam Johnson from Queensland Reds
Greg Peterson from Leicester Tigers
Taqele Naiyaravoro from NSW Waratahs
Javan Sebastian from Carmarthen Quins

Players Out
Nikola Matawalu to Bath Rugby
Sean Maitland to London Irish
D.T.H. van der Merwe to Scarlets
Dougie Hall retired
Jon Welsh to Newcastle Falcons
Alastair Kellock retired
Murray McConnell to Nottingham
James Downey to Wasps
Tommy Spinks to Jersey
Euan Murray to Pau
Connor Braid released

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Two French sides: could be good for two home wins as neither travel too well. The Not-Nots will be tough though.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Edinburgh have an interesting group and could finish anywhere. London Irish are going to be better with their signings and if either of the French teams go for it away from home it could prove tough. Then again the French may give it up and LI may only care for getting top 7 in the Aviva.

Most importantly though does anyone want Edinburgh to go for the Challenge Cup again or should the focus be on beating out the Scarlets and Connacht for 6th?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh have an interesting group and could finish anywhere. London Irish are going to be better with their signings and if either of the French teams go for it away from home it could prove tough. Then again the French may give it up and LI may only care for getting top 7 in the Aviva.

Most importantly though does anyone want Edinburgh to go for the Challenge Cup again or should the focus be on beating out the Scarlets and Connacht for 6th?

Is that the Luvvies new motto? "Aim low and avoid disappointment"

Mind you it's marginally better than the last one; "If Dove made rugby players, they would smell like us"

p.s. welcome Hazel.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:43 pm

So....are Agen or Grenoble any good for a stag doo??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Grenoble survived relegation on the second last week of the season and Agen were promoted so 2 of the weaker French teams who don't seem to be keen on the Challenge Cup. You will need 4 wins and a couple of bonus points from them.

LI will be tough. It will depend on how much attention they pay to this. My view is that Edinburgh should be totally focused on the league this season. If you manage to get through the groups while resting players then you can give it a bit more attention.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Disaster. Clermont and Bath in pool 1. Either Toulon or Northampton for GW

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Clermont are tier one: no luck Schiz.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:50 pm

It's Northampton

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Franklin Gardens: about 90 minute drive from chez Pip. Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm

and Racing (Finn v Dan Carter)

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Final Groups

1 Sarries, Ulster, Toulouse and Oyonnax
2 Clermont, Ospreys, Exeter and Bordeaux
3 Glasgow, Northampton, Racing and Scarlets
4 SF, Munster, Leicester and Treviso
5 Bath, Toulon, Leinster and Wasps

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

I would have liked Oyonnax or Treviso as the last side, but it's a group we can get out of. Group 5 will be a titanic struggle.

I wonder if MrsPip fancies a weekend in GayParee. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Glasgow getting Northampton was the best thing that could have happened considering the alternative and Racing was a better option than Toulouse. I think that Glasgow have little excuse not to make the quarters and a home quarter is not out the question. What will it require though? 3 wins at Scotstoun for 13 points (1bp win), with an away win at Scarlets. Not sure which is the easier task. Playing Dan Carter and Sergio Parisse in Paris or defeating the English at Franklin Gardens (especially without Al Kellock's leadership). Northampton will likely play the more open game and that would make it easier for Russell and co to rip their backs to shreds.

The English clubs in pool 5 won't be happy  Erm  

P.S. Cheers Pip, I have lurked on this thread for ages so thought I best start contributing.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:09 pm

That looks like a good outcome for Glasgow. The Saints pack will be a challenge, but I'd back Glasgow to take enough points to get out of that.

Group 5 is completely brutal.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Edinburgh's group should also be ok. No need to worry about any tries coming down the London Irish right wing, and Agen and Grenoble shouldn't trouble us at home.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Of those groups, I would swap ours for Clermont's and maybe Sarries.

We will need 13 points at home at least and I think probably 2 wins away. It will depend on how the fixtures work out. Ideally Northampton or Racing at home first with the double header in the middle against Scarlets.

I worry that having a difficult 4th seed will not help. We need to pile on points against them and Scarlets and Wasps were the ones to avoid.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:27 pm

jimbopip wrote:Franklin Gardens: about 90 minute drive from chez Pip. Yahoo

Invite noted. I'll take it easy on the numbers of staff coming with me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm

I see as well that Edinburgh is hosting both finals in 2017.

The SRU now have 2 years to build a 20k stadium on the back pitches.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Franklin Gardens: about 90 minute drive from chez Pip. Yahoo

Invite noted. I'll take it easy on the numbers of staff coming with me.

If you're lucky you'll be in the blue room with Schiz, his carers and Mr Scones. Cramped, but it is the one with the window.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:I see as well that Edinburgh is hosting both finals in 2017.

Radge/RDW - get on the case. How hard can it be??

I only have a couple of demands:

- Not bothered about which one, but a "fES Stand" strikes me as appropriate.
- I dislike Caledonian Best and Tennants. May I suggest a variety of continental lagers, a selection of Scottish real ales, a couple of randomly selected drams (say Balvennie Double Wood, 25yr old sherry oak Macallan and Johnny Walker Blue Label) and, for the 1872 cup/procession, a couple of champagnes (Veuve for spraying and a Dom Perignon for session drinking).
- Three designated parking spaces for fES. I only have one car but I hate it when people park too close.
- Edinburgh players not selected should not have access to the season ticket stand. I've often walked past the likes of Francis and Atiga and wanted to "say something". Please don't put this temptation in front of me. When they kick my ass it'll be embarrassing for everyone.
- The only person allowed to play 12 for Edinburgh in this new stadium is Matt Scott.
- Whenever RDW scores a free ticket, which is every game, he should be made to sit next to Jade Te Rure.
- Clownshoes should never be allowed to ref a game in this stadium, other than the 1872 Cup (where his dislike of Glasgow is most welcome).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 pm

About as good an outcome for Glasgow as we were likely to get. Glad we avoided Wasps but Scarlets are still a potential banana skin for us. That being said it's the beer and the chat that's important so we've got some half decent away days coming up. I think I'll try and get to Northampton and Paris (with the lads for the former and the Mrs for the latter).

Looking forward to the headlines about Carter vs Finn already. The past vs the present? Yahoo

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:54 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:I see as well that Edinburgh is hosting both finals in 2017.

Radge/RDW - get on the case. How hard can it be??

I only have a couple of demands:

- Not bothered about which one, but a "fES Stand" strikes me as appropriate.
- I dislike Caledonian Best and Tennants. May I suggest a variety of continental lagers, a selection of Scottish real ales, a couple of randomly selected drams (say Balvennie Double Wood, 25yr old sherry oak Macallan and Johnny Walker Blue Label) and, for the 1872 cup/procession, a couple of champagnes (Veuve for spraying and a Dom Perignon for session drinking).
- Three designated parking spaces for fES. I only have one car but I hate it when people park too close.
- Edinburgh players not selected should not have access to the season ticket stand. I've often walked past the likes of Francis and Atiga and wanted to "say something". Please don't put this temptation in front of me. When they kick my ass it'll be embarrassing for everyone.
- The only person allowed to play 12 for Edinburgh in this new stadium is Matt Scott.
- Whenever RDW scores a free ticket, which is every game, he should be made to sit next to Jade Te Rure.
- Clownshoes should never be allowed to ref a game in this stadium, other than the 1872 Cup (where his dislike of Glasgow is most welcome).

This immediately strikes me as nonsense.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:54 pm

God damn it!

Really wanted Glasgow to draw Exeter.

My stupid lady has somehow got pregnant with our third, due on the 19th December which makes my life officially over for 16 years from the 20th. A 7 mile trip to Sandy Park would be far more justifiable than anywhere North of Taunton.

And there's me thinking that rugby was a fan's game. Crying or Very sad

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Eejit wrote:About as good an outcome for Glasgow as we were likely to get. Glad we avoided Wasps but Scarlets are still a potential banana skin for us. That being said it's the beer and the chat that's important so we've got some half decent away days coming up. I think I'll try and get to Northampton and Paris (with the lads for the former and the Mrs for the latter).

Looking forward to the headlines about Carter vs Finn already. The past vs the present?  Yahoo
Me too. A world class rugby deity.

Against Daniel Carter.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Don't want to douse the Glasgow enthusiasm too much, but that is one hell of a difficult group and I reckon it would be on a par with winning the Pro 12 if Glasgow managed to get out of it.

Saints are a big, physical premiership team - something Glasgow could struggle against.

Racing are a very rich club attracting big stars. The also have a monstrous pack.

Scarlets are certainly winnable home and away, but it won't be easy.

So I think expectations should be realistic here - especially if Glasgow don't add further strength to the 2nd row / tighthead situation.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:03 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Eejit wrote:About as good an outcome for Glasgow as we were likely to get. Glad we avoided Wasps but Scarlets are still a potential banana skin for us. That being said it's the beer and the chat that's important so we've got some half decent away days coming up. I think I'll try and get to Northampton and Paris (with the lads for the former and the Mrs for the latter).

Looking forward to the headlines about Carter vs Finn already. The past vs the present?  Yahoo
Me too. A world class rugby deity.

Against Daniel Carter.

Well only one of them is from (and I'll risk adding "has been to") Ayr. Is there anything else to discuss?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Don't want to douse the Glasgow enthusiasm too much, but that is one hell of a difficult group and I reckon it would be on a par with winning the Pro 12 if Glasgow managed to get out of it.

I think we would all agree that progressing from the Group Stage of the top tier European competition is comfortably more signficant and a greater achievement than winning that Pro12 thingymajig....if you catch my drift.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I agree this is not a good group but we would need to be extremely lucky to get one in this.

Racing away will be a bonus point loss on a good day. Northampton away is winnable but they will be heavy favourites. We will need to win the other 4 games, probably with a couple of bonus points which is possible.

We will need to play as well as we did in Belfast in at least 5 of these games to qualify.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Feckin baws - the very draw I didn't want ! Llanelli ffs- would rather go to Damascus tbh Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Feckin baws - the very draw I didn't want ! Llanelli ffs-  would rather go to Damascus tbh Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, Damascus are man sausage-a-hoop that 21st ain't going over there!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:04 pm

nice one mr swear filter maker!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:43 am

Back on the season ticket topic, it is great to see Glasgow selling so many and hoping to get over 3000, but it shows how far rugby still has to go in Scotland when you see that Hearts have already sold 13000 season tickets - 1000 away from their maximum allowance.

When you consider that the cheapest Hearts season ticket is a good bit more expensive than the most expensive Glasgow one, that is really saying a lot.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:58 am

Some people like him on here and other hate him but Max Evans has been released by Castres. In the French press this morning and also on planet rugby his name is one being released with a new club as unknown as yet.
Could a return to Glasgow be on the cards??

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 am

I think Evans to Glasgow would make good sense. DTH and Maitland have gone and Lamont is slower than Kellock to a ruck.

Big Tacky is on board and Hughes should step up next season, but Evans (given his diminishing role for Scotland these days) would provide good cover on the wing and at 13.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 am

Agreed on Evans - if there aren't many other options available for Glasgow then he'd be a good squad player.  Got a lot of experience and I'm sure he could still do a job on the wing in the Pro 12. He won't be in much of a position to demand a high salary either.

Plus, his wife is hot.  A bit of a Barbie, but still!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:42 am

I think wee Maxy is heading to Aix, is he not? http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9818_56052,00.html
I'm still hoping for McNicholl and AN Other to come in...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am

nickj wrote:I think wee Maxy is heading to Aix, is he not? http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9818_56052,00.html
Good spot Nick. 4 of them going.

Having spent last summer in Avignon and a fortune on second growth burgandies, I am just guessing that playing rugby in Aix-en-Provence is not really any sort of hardship. God's own country, that. Almost as good as Largs in June.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 am

Not sure if its the four of them or just the last guy in the four that's going to aix. It just says he has been released in l'equipe.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:20 am

George Carlin wrote:
nickj wrote:I think wee Maxy is heading to Aix, is he not? http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9818_56052,00.html

Having spent last summer in Avignon and a fortune on second growth burgandies, I am just guessing that playing rugby in Aix-en-Provence is not really any sort of hardship. God's own country, that. Almost as good as Largs in June.

I almost moved to Aix a few years ago to work on the ITER project (check it out, it is awesome) but it didn't work out - that would have been quite a change in lifestyle for me!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:25 am

We passed through Aix last summer too. Cracking town/city. I really liked Montpellier too. I can see why so many players are keen to spend a few seasons down in either the Languedoc or Provence... what's not to like.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am

George Carlin wrote:

You are so blatantly an Edinburgh fan in disguise! Hug

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:12 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Feckin baws - the very draw I didn't want ! Llanelli ffs-  would rather go to Damascus tbh Rolling Eyes

That's my home away from home!!!! furious
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Back on the season ticket topic, it is great to see Glasgow selling so many and hoping to get over 3000, but it shows how far rugby still has to go in Scotland when you see that Hearts have already sold 13000 season tickets - 1000 away from their maximum allowance.

When you consider that the cheapest Hearts season ticket is a good bit more expensive than the most expensive Glasgow one, that is really saying a lot.

How many games is that for though (Hearts)? Must be more than 14 !

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:28 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

That's my home away from home!!!! furious

Where ? Damascus ? Apologies and good luck getting there next time ! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

You are so blatantly an Edinburgh fan in disguise! Hug
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 3 Hanghe10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Back on the season ticket topic, it is great to see Glasgow selling so many and hoping to get over 3000, but it shows how far rugby still has to go in Scotland when you see that Hearts have already sold 13000 season tickets - 1000 away from their maximum allowance.

How many games is that for though (Hearts)?  Must be more than 14 !

True. My main point was the number of season tickets - Scottish football is pretty dire, yet they sell over 13000 ST s!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 am

Does anyone know if next season's EDP's have been announced? I wondered whether the likes of Gary Strain, Archie Russell, the two Under 20's 2nd rows and Jack Steele might be added to the Glasgow squad for example?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:55 am

Warriors are announcing 4 players at 12.30 which will presumably be EDP guys getting pro contracts so the new batch should be fairly soon.

Glasgow Hawks are on about making a few announcements today on player news so that will probably be a few of theirs getting EDP deals.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Warriors are announcing 4 players at 12.30 which will presumably be EDP guys getting pro contracts so the new batch should be fairly soon.

Glasgow Hawks are on about making a few announcements today on player news so that will probably be a few of theirs getting EDP deals.

thumbsup Does that leave just the one more to come then? I'm sure I've seen five more signings bandied about somewhere? Possibly the Glasgow forum?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next