The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

+57
hugehandoff
Exiledinborders
whocares
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
donglewood
aucklandlaurie
kunu
thebandwagonsociety
BamBam
theslosty
Engine#4
wrfc1980
fa0019
Wi11
RuggerRadge2611
Blanko
Rory_Gallagher
FecklessRogue
mrsuperclear
No 7&1/2
Artful_Dodger
Cloggie
wales606
Gwlad
munkian
Submachine
marty2086
maestegmafia
SirBurger
GoodinTightSpaces
mikey_dragon
Chunky Norwich
Cyril
lostinwales
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
the-goon
George Carlin
eirebilly
The Boss
theshanker
Pete330v2
TJ
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
Marshes
wolfball
SecretFly
gleesonisgod
profitius
bedfordwelsh
Notch
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
61 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 13 Empty Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 17:12

First topic message reminder :

Alright.

The time for whinging at the Welsh, sniping at the Scots and educating the English is done. Playtime is over. The bitterness is dialled up to ten, the eye-patches producing metaphorical one-eyedness are donned, chips are placed on shoulders – it’s time for some proper, down n’ dirty, internecine bickering.

Who will go to the 2015 Rugby World Cup to play for Ireland?

Who should go?

The players have the following opportunities to shine like a diamond for Joe:

Emerging Ireland Tbilisi Cup

Emerging Italy v Emerging Ireland
Saturday 13th June 14:00 BST

Uruguay v Emerging Ireland
Wednesday 17th June 14:00 BST

Georgia v Emerging Ireland
Sunday 21st June 16:00 BST

Ireland Matches

Wales v Ireland
Millennium Stadium
Saturday 8th August

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 15th August

Ireland v Wales
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 29th August

England v Ireland
Twickenham Stadium
Saturday 5th September

31 players.

A 17/14 split? Has Madigan played himself off the plane? Do Ruddock or Trimble have enough time to make it back? Can Rory’s darts be trusted? Does POM spend too much time on the wing? Are Payne and Strauss “Irish” enough? Why is Reddan there? Has Zebo been by-passed? Is Cave too slow? Why Felix Jones?

HAVE AT THEE!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 13 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 8:09

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 13 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 10:35

So, the 31 announced today? This evening?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 11:06

Don Alfonso wrote:So, the 31 announced today? This evening?

Monday or Tuesday. The players will know tonight.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 11:21

Don Alfonso wrote:So, the 31 announced today? This evening?

Tuesday I think.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 11:31

Any final predictions?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 11:35

Isn't the deadline the 31st which is tomorrow?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 11:40

Artful_Dodger wrote:Isn't the deadline the 31st which is tomorrow?

Yes, but surely that's the deadline for the final submission to the tournament organisers. I'm not sure that it's obligatory to have publicly announced it by then.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 12:17

If the squad was given by the deadline I'm sure it wouldn't stay under raps longer than a day. The 42 had the team right a good while before it was announced last week.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 12:26

Don Alfonso wrote:Any final predictions?

Luke Fitz really shouldn't travel after two underwhelming games, and maybe the opposite for d. Kearney, he has never let himself down in green and looked the most dangerous option. If earls is fit he goes, maybe one of bowe or Kearney to drop out for Cave to cover 12 more.

I'd nearly say give Henderson another start against England to see if he can nail a place down, was an absolute monster yesterday and one of our few big ball carriers. White to sneak it, Healy will go too, which might mean bent gets a place.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 13:04

Marshes wrote:If the squad was given by the deadline I'm sure it wouldn't stay under raps longer than a day. The 42 had the team right a good while before it was announced last week.

Yeah, I agree. We'll probably be hearing rumours in the media tonight/tomorrow before the announcement.

Think that any delay between submitting the squad and announcement is for the sake of a press conference.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 13:41

Yeah, from the effusive praise for Dave from Joe, he's on the plane, and I'd agree that he should go in place of Fitzgerald.

I think they'll risk naming Healy, not sure whether they'll go with six props or five including Bent.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 13:44

Marshes wrote:

Luke Fitz really shouldn't travel after two underwhelming games, and maybe the opposite for d. Kearney, he has never let himself down in green and looked the most dangerous option. If earls is fit he goes, maybe one of bowe or Kearney to drop out for Cave to cover 12 more.

I'd nearly say give Henderson another start against England to see if he can nail a place down, was an absolute monster yesterday and one of our few big ball carriers. White to sneak it, Healy will go too, which might mean bent gets a place.

Might be worth trying out Donnacha Ryan and Paul O'Connell in the second row with Henderson at 6. Our most physical option,
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 13:53

Notch wrote:

Yes, but surely that's the deadline for the final submission to the tournament organisers. I'm not sure that it's obligatory to have publicly announced it by then.
You have to announce publicly by 1 September.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 14:00

Notch wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Might be worth trying out Donnacha Ryan and Paul O'Connell in the second row with Henderson at 6. Our most physical option,

Especially when Peter O'Mahony went off carrying a knock. Plus I would really like to see what Henderson, O'Brien and Heaslip are like together in the back row. To be honest, it may be what we need to bully other teams physically.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 14:00

George Carlin wrote:
Notch wrote:

You have to announce publicly by 1 September.

Okay, so thats Tuesday then! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 14:38

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Notch wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Especially when Peter O'Mahony went off carrying a knock. Plus I would really like to see what Henderson, O'Brien and Heaslip are like together in the back row. To be honest, it may be what we need to bully other teams physically.

Want to see Hendorson at 6 as well, I'm just thinking his similarities to Ferris at 6. O Mahoney brings good balance to the back row which was something Ireland stuggled with for a long time, and he is nuisance at the breakdown. I could prefer my locks to be more abrasive than Toner is despite his work-rate and line-out skills so would favour Henderson getting another chance. But both very good options, could be both can be more effective depending on the opposition

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 12:46

Marshes wrote: If earls is fit he goes, maybe one of bowe or Kearney to drop out for Cave to cover 12 more

I don't see why so many want Earls to go, hes dangerous in open play, good in defence but going into contact he seems a liability at the minute.

In the two games against Wales he lost the ball too many times and in big games they are going to be tighter with fine margins deciding them, if you keep losing the ball your in trouble

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 14:18

I wouldnt be concerned if Ealrs was picked. I think Dave Kearney probably deserves it more at this stage and he is an exceptional player so will probably get the nod.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 14:35

So Toner to be dropped?
Is Trimble gone?
Can't believe after all the 'Daverage' mud slinging on this forum over the last few seasons that he is being put into the rwc by people.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:25

I can't see Toner being dropped. What makes you think so?

Rumour that Trimble will miss out. If Trimble misses out, and Fitz makes it, I won't be happy. I don't believe it at this point though.

DK has proved his worth. He has taken his chance well, and deserves to be included in the squad, I think. If Zebo is included, it will only be because he covers FB, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:29

Munchkin wrote:Rumour that Trimble will miss out. If Trimble misses out, and Fitz makes it, I won't be happy. I don't believe it at this point though.

It would have to be a decision based on Fitzgerald covering centre, because head to head in terms of what they offer as wingers there really is no comparison. One is much better than the other. But if Trimble is left out I think he would be the first player to be called up if there were any injuries so I wouldn't rule whoever misses out out of the tournament.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:30

Only way Toner would be in any danger is if they only took three locks including Henderson. Given Henderson can play 6, can't see it happening. Tuohy was awful not just against Scotland but also for Ulster in their pre-season games. No way he would shade Ryan, Henderson or Toner. He's blown his big chance at this stage.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:37

Notch wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Rumour that Trimble will miss out. If Trimble misses out, and Fitz makes it, I won't be happy. I don't believe it at this point though.

It would have to be a decision based on Fitzgerald covering centre, because head to head in terms of what they offer as wingers there really is no comparison. One is much better than the other. But if Trimble is left out I think he would be the first player to be called up if there were any injuries so I wouldn't rule whoever misses out out of the tournament.

My complaint would be that Fitz doesn't deserve his place based on his ability to cover centre though. One of Fitz or Earls should be selected, and I would pick Earls for his form at wing. Not his ability at centre.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:42

I agree with you. Fitzgerald also only covers outside centre, a little bit, and not very well. It would be a very strange selection if someone is left out to accommodate Fitzgerald. With his form, his injury record... I can't see why he's still in the frame.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:44

Notch wrote:Only way Toner would be in any danger is if they only took three locks including Henderson. Given Henderson can play 6, can't see it happening. Tuohy was awful not just against Scotland but also for Ulster in their pre-season games. No way he would shade Ryan, Henderson or Toner. He's blown his big chance at this stage.

Yes, Tuohy doesn't deserve a place. He hasn't been the same since returning from injury.
Even if they only took three, including Henderson, I don't see Ryan getting in ahead of Toner. I think Ryan is the better lock, but Toners ability at line out, and his experience with POC, gives him an edge over Ryan, I think. Just.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:46

Notch wrote:I agree with you. Fitzgerald also only covers outside centre, a little bit, and not very well. It would be a very strange selection if someone is left out to accommodate Fitzgerald. With his form, his injury record... I can't see why he's still in the frame.

He shouldn't be. That's why I won't be happy to see Trimble missing out, and Fitz included. Might not happen though Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:48

What I will say is if you sub-divide it into players competing for the left wing spot and players competing for the right-wing spot it breaks down as;

Left wing

Zebo, Earls, Fitzgerald

Right wing

Kearney, Bowe, Trimble
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:50

But Kearney has played left wing before, as have Bowe and Trimble, so still see that as a bit dubious.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:51

Just after rewatching the game and I'm pretty happy with the way the team is going.We tried a few quick lineouts and counter attacks that we hadn't been doing previously and our set piece still looks pretty good (not great but solid) even with a 2nd/3rd choice front row.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:52

thebandwagonsociety wrote:So Toner to be dropped?
Is Trimble gone?
Can't believe after all the 'Daverage' mud slinging on this forum over the last few seasons that he is being put into the rwc by people.

Daverage is just a moniker coined by bitter fans that prefer to see someone from their own province. When has Dave Kearney ever let the Irish team down? He is a really good player and in the mix on merit IMO. He is one of those players that coaches love because you know you can count on him to follow the scrip and he has the talent to meet expectations.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:55

GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

Daverage is just a moniker coined by bitter fans that prefer to see someone from their own province. When has Dave Kearney ever let the Irish team down? He is a really good player and in the mix on merit IMO. He is one of those players that coaches love because you know you can count on him to follow the scrip and he has the talent to meet expectations.

I agree. There hasn't been a more underrated and unfairly criticised player since Paddy Wallace. The kind of player fans criticise but their fellow players know how good they are.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:57

Notch wrote:But Kearney has played left wing before, as have Bowe and Trimble, so still see that as a bit dubious.

It is. I'm not convinced Fitz would offer more than any of Trimble, Kearney or Bowe if they had to switch sides. Kearney and Trimble worked well enough in the 6N's before last.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 15:59

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

I agree. There hasn't been a more underrated and unfairly criticised player since Paddy Wallace. The kind of player fans criticise but their fellow players know how good they are.

Ah did you have to compare him to Paddy Wallace.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 16:25

Notch wrote:What I will say is if you sub-divide it into players competing for the left wing spot and players competing for the right-wing spot it breaks down as;

Left wing

Zebo, Earls, Fitzgerald

Right wing

Kearney, Bowe, Trimble

Earls plays on the right wing for Munster (since Doug Howlett retired). I'd imagine he was just playing him on the left on Saturday because he hasn't played there much (and if covering for centre, there is less disruption to move in from 11 to 13).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:14

I think it's because there are plenty of other options who play right wing already Sin
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:15

GunsGerms wrote:
Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

Ah did you have to compare him to Paddy Wallace.

Similar thing, people massively under rating them, slagging them off, can't believe he's been selected again etc.

What they are are team players who wring every ounce out of their talent and do their job with no mistakes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:25

Rumour has it that Trimble, Moore and Boss have been left out. Only 2 nines picked and Cave, Kearney, Earls, Fitz and Bowe made the squad.

Forwards: Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss, Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Nathan White, Mike Ross, Tadgh Furlong, Iain Henderson, Paul O’Connell, Donnacha Ryan, Devin Toner, Jamie Heaslip, Chris Henry, Jordi Murphy, Sean O’Brien, Peter O’Mahony

Backs (14) Tommy Bowe, Darren Cave, Dave Kearney, Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald, Robbie Henshaw, Paddy Jackson, Rob Kearney, Ian Madigan, Conor Murray, Jared Payne, Eoin Reddan, Johnny Sexton, Simon Zebo.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:34

Well, if you have Cave in there the selection of Fitzgerald will be the big talking point. He would be an extremely lucky boy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:43

I'm seeing that the source of that squad is a website no-one has really heard of... now I'm not saying they are wrong but given how desperate everybody is for any information if you wanted to promote your website and get some traffic positing up a rumour about the squad would be a good way to do it, regardless of whether it's based on facts or not.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:55

GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

Nothing bitter about it. He is an average player who wouldn't get into any other Top 10 country in the world.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 17:58

That would be a weird one if true. Unless Trimble's not 100%.

If he's fit, he'd literally be first choice on the wing for me.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:00

Yeah, even Bowe over Trimble is a head-scratcher.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:27

How did they go for ulster?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:30

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

Nothing bitter about it. He is an average player who wouldn't get into any other Top 10 country in the world.

and yet Ireland are the 3rd ranked team in world rugby. Shows how much you know. laughing

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:35

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

The times i had seen him at International level previously, he was indeed very average. That said, these last two warm up games he has played very well and seems to have bulked up slightly and is braver going into contact than he once was. He may not be a standout in defence or under the high ball but he certainly was no worse than others in that department and didnt let the side down. I would have no complaints if he were selected now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:35

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

and yet Ireland are the 3rd ranked team in world rugby. Shows how much you know. laughing

He was easily one of our best wingers so far this season based on his game against Wales.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:41

eirebilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Is Trimble gone?

The times i had seen him at International level previously, he was indeed very average. That said, these last two warm up games he has played very well and seems to have bulked up slightly and is braver going into contact than he once was. He may not be a standout in defence or under the high ball but he certainly was no worse than others in that department and didnt let the side down. I would have no complaints if he were selected now.

He played every game of the 14 winning 6 nations campaign and was integral to our sucess that year. He was also excellent v NZ when we came close.

Kearney may not flick the ball rather than catch it or make a D shape with his hands when he scores but I cant remember him having a bad game for Ireland.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:47

I guess being out paced by a flanker is a good sign of solid wing play these days Wink

I honestly did feel that he was average at International level, he was not close to the other wingers Ireland had at the time but he has come on strong and is deserved of his place.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:52

eirebilly wrote:I guess being out paced by a flanker is a good sign of solid wing play these days Wink

I honestly did feel that he was average at International level, he was not close to the other wingers Ireland had at the time but he has come on strong and is deserved of his place.

It was a lock and he wasnt outpaced by him he stepped in field towards him where the space and support was. He would walk into the Munster team especially given only Leinster rejects make the wing in Munster these days.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 18:54

Why does everything come down to prvincial with you guns?

I didnt rate Dave Kearney but feel he has done well and earnt a place in the squad = must have dig at Munster...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next