The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers

+6
Roberto Baggio
erictheblueuk
GSC
CaledonianCraig
dyrewolfe
Fernando
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers  - Page 2 Empty F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers

Post by Fernando Thu 21 May 2015, 10:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Set around the harbour in the principality on the Cote d'Azur, the world’s rich and famous have docked their yachts for what is a week-long event and the only race where bars spill out onto the circuit with tables and chairs in the evening.

Track: Circuit de Monaco. Street circuit.

Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (2pm local).

Laps: 78.

Track length: 3.337 km (3 metres shorter in 2015).

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and Supersoft (red).

DRS Zones: One (Pit Straight).

Driver steward: Tom Kristensen.

Lap record: Michael Schumacher - 1:14.439 (Ferrari, 2004).

2014 pole: Nico Rosberg - 1:15.989 (Mercedes).

Nico Rosberg repeated his 2013 feat by winning the Monaco GP for a second time last year. Fernando Alonso is the only other current driver to have taken victory on the streets of Monte Carlo on multiple occasions. Both, though, are a long way short of Ayrton Senna’s record of six wins in the principality

Pirelli’s supersoft compound makes its first appearance of the 2015 season as the weekend’s ‘option’ tyre. The red-marked rubber has been revised for this year. As usual, the soft tyre serves as the 'prime' compound on a Monaco track which is the least abrasive of the whole season.

"The supersoft is the only P Zero tyre to have a brand new compound for this year, created to offer even greater resistance to graining and blistering," Pirelli explained. "One of the key evolutions on all the tyres this year has been optimisation of the footprint pressure and temperature distribution. This presents a more even contact with the asphalt, improving grip and handling: vital attributes on the streets of Monaco.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers  - Page 2 Empty Re: F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 May 2015, 12:11 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:What I would add is that Lewis could have argued for them not to bring him in - or at least waited until others pitted.

Not really. History is full of incidents where drivers insisted on staying out and became a cropper. Hamilton at China in 2008 is an excellent example. If the pit crew call you in, you go in

No in this instance I'd say not. We've heard Hamilton and other drivers argue over strategy and besides it is really dumb to agree to come in for a pitstop with ten laps to go. Before the safety car came out (and if it hadn't come out) there would not have been another stop for tyres so the tyres were in decent enough shape to survive to the finish without a doubt and going at reduced speeds behind the safety car was doing even less damage. I am sure Hamilton must have realised this so all he should have been doing was covering those around him. As in only come in for a stop if Vettel and Rosberg did.

But we're talking about this with the benefit of hindsight. If they told Hamilton that they thought Vettel was coming in and would be faster, then he agrees. Even if they didn't he's going to think they must have some info he didn't

Like Alonso, Vettel and Kimi - Lewis is the most 'up yours' of the drivers when it comes to dealing with his crew. I don't think he could have elected to stay out

Last edited by banbrotam on Mon 25 May 2015, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers  - Page 2 Empty Re: F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers

Post by Guest Mon 25 May 2015, 12:21 pm

banbrotam wrote:The  most annoying thing isn't that it's another Rosberg victory. It's that it's another Rosberg victory where he starts behind Hamilton and wins but not by overtaking him

That's all Rosberg does, relies upon Hamilton mistakes or team errors to beat him. He doesn't have the pace to challenge Lewis or the racing ability to overtake him. This concept only takes you so far, as over a season, Hamilton's 25 points will far outweigh the driver or team errors, so Rosberg will no doubt still come up short by Abu Dhabi, but given they have a dominant car, will always be within touching distance of Lewis. I really can only see Rosberg becoming champion, if Lewis has three or four more DNF's than Nico over a season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 25 May 2015, 8:50 pm

Well that was a rather strange end to the race! As I've said on many previous occasions I'm not the biggest fan of Nico Rosberg, but he was very lucky to win.

But I've seen a few reports on other sites claiming 'Rosberg is a cheat', 'Rosberg is a d1ckhead', this for me is unacceptable. Rosberg did nothing wrong. Mercedes made the error.

Delighted that Sebastian Vettel had another strong race and a fifth podium. Depending on how good the upcoming engine upgrade is for Ferrari, Sebastian could still compete for his 5th World Championship.

Lewis Hamilton was the true winner, but luck wasn't with him. He's good around Montreal so he may well go on a rampage there.

It's good that there three top drivers are relatively close in the standing.

Lastly I think the curtain is soon to come down on my boy Nico Hulkenburg. Sergio Perez has Hulk in his pocket. And Hulk is already planning for a future in WEC.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 May 2015, 9:23 pm

See the Bernie interview about Rosberg? Slaughters him really, saying he's bad for F1 & for business. Comical stuff, but does show how unpopular he is, backed up by Germany losing its slot on the calendar.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 25 May 2015, 9:27 pm

If you think that backs up Rosberg being unpopular then I really don't know what to tell you
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 May 2015, 9:32 pm

Well it does, silverstone is packed out to cheer on hamilton fighting for a title, hockenheim was dead, because nico's an unpopular figure, that they haven't any passion or support towards.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 25 May 2015, 9:39 pm

Silverstone was packed out when Hamilton wasn't in a title fight, Germany wasn't when Vettel was. But no, Nico Rosberg has killed F1 in Germany by being unpopular.

Congratulations, that might be the most ridiculous post I've read on this section and there have been some crackers.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 25 May 2015, 9:41 pm

LiamB wrote:Well it does, silverstone is packed out to cheer on hamilton fighting for a title, hockenheim was dead, because nico's an unpopular figure, that they haven't any passion or support towards.
Sorry spouting nonsense. Whether Rosberg is a popular or not, F1 is too expensive in Germany. This is due to Bernie trying to con the track out of too much money. Therefore tickets that cost x amount 2 years ago are now costing twice as much.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 May 2015, 10:08 pm

LiamB wrote:See the Bernie interview about Rosberg? Slaughters him really, saying he's bad for F1 & for business. Comical stuff, but does show how unpopular he is, backed up by Germany losing its slot on the calendar.

Bernice said the same about Vetted though. He said something like, if Vetted was walking down the street casually dressed nobody would know who he was.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 25 May 2015, 10:59 pm

banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:What I would add is that Lewis could have argued for them not to bring him in - or at least waited until others pitted.

Not really. History is full of incidents where drivers insisted on staying out and became a cropper. Hamilton at China in 2008 is an excellent example. If the pit crew call you in, you go in

Erm...no it isn't.

IIRC it had rained and Hamilton was on wets or inters and needed to come in for slicks...his tyres were actually shot then...thats why he went into the gravel on his way to the pits. For another, overtaking is a lot easier in Shanghai as its a purpose-built circuit.

The current compound tyres will last a full race in Monaco (or so we are told) and its pretty much impossible to overtake (unless you're Max Verstappen).

If Hamilton felt his tyres would last until the end he could have ignored the order to pit and have stayed out...but its easy to say with hindsight I suppose.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 May 2015, 11:22 pm

Just reading a report on Sky that suggests Hamilton made the call as initially the team wanted to keep him out. He was fretting about being able to keep the lead if Vetted got a fresh set of tyres. A monumental balks up by Lewis.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 8:28 am

Any radio comms to back that Sky suggestion up? Mercedes wanting to keep him out, yeah, there apologies & post race reactions agree with that don't they. He was watching the TV screens while going around after the max crash & saw the crew out, he thought it was for Nico & that Vettel would naturally follow Nico in & they would both be on fresh tyres for the last 10 laps. In that situation, without hindsight, you make the pit. Hardly a monumental balls up, but guess you need to blame someone.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 8:49 am

LiamB wrote:Any radio comms to back that Sky suggestion up? He was watching the TV screens while going around after the max crash & saw the crew out, he thought it was for Nico & that Vettel would naturally follow Nico in & they would both be on fresh tyres for the last 10 laps. In that situation, without hindsight, you make the pit. Hardly a monumental balls up, but guess you need to blame someone.

You sit tight and don't have a swift knee-jerk reaction when none is needed.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/9864518/how-did-mercedes-get-it-so-wrong-at-the-monaco-gp

This is the segment that interested me:-

Was it Hamilton’s call?

Speaking immediately afterwards, Hamilton said he’d seen a video screen, noticed the Mercedes pit crew and assumed that Rosberg – and Vettel – had already pitted. Still on harder, older tyres, he considered himself vulnerable and asked to follow suit.

According to him, the team initially asked him to stay out. But following a brief, frenetic – and ultimately mistaken – period of discussion, the final decision to bring Hamilton in was taken just 50m before the pit-lane entry.

“The decision had been made jointly with a lot of information at the same time,” Wolff said. “Within a fraction of seconds you need to make a call; we’ve tried to get as much input as possible from the engineers, from the management, from the driver and then take a decision in that case. The algorithm was wrong.”

Now how the heck was he unable to decipher if his own team-mate had pitted? His own engineer would have kept him informed of that so unless the engineer lied (totally cannot believe that) and told him Rosberg had pitted when he hadn't then he should have stayed out. Even if Vettel came in - he should have stayed out as he'd have still remained ahead of his closest title rival Rosberg. Simples.

The part in bold goes along with what I read elsewhere as team were more for keeping him out but Hamilton pushed to be pitted as he was sweating on being vulnerable to Vettel and Rosberg getting on fresh rubber and the team relented and brought him in.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May 2015, 9:16 am

Tbh there had to be some driver input from Hamilton. Whether Merc fed him wrong info is the question I guess.

I kinda think at least some of the Merc post race damage control is aimed at keeping Lewis happy. They're far happier to throw Rosberg under the bus than criticise Lewis
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 9:51 am

GSC wrote:Tbh there had to be some driver input from Hamilton. Whether Merc fed him wrong info is the question I guess.

I kinda think at least some of the Merc post race damage control is aimed at keeping Lewis happy. They're far happier to throw Rosberg under the bus than criticise Lewis

Well whatever the case is I don't buy into this conspiracy theory or poor old Lewis talk. He had his input as well (that much is clear) and had a say on pitting.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May 2015, 9:58 am

If he thought he had enough life in his tyres he doesn't pit ultimately.

Mercs info on the gap and what other teams were doing were also wrong I guess.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 10:35 am

GSC wrote:If he thought he had enough life in his tyres he doesn't pit ultimately.

Mercs info on the gap and what other teams were doing were also wrong I guess.

Of course.

I see absolutely no reason why he would have thought he wouldn't have enough life in his tyres though. I say this with confidence because if there were no safety car none of the top ten were planning another tyre change. The strategy was clearly one stop would do. Following the safety car for a few laps as well just adds more life to the tyres as they aren't being put through stresses of high speed cornering etc. Of course Mercedes take a share of the blame as they should have just insisted he stayed out unless they saw Ferrari pitting which they never.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May 2015, 10:42 am

Part of me wonders whether the stops were planned until they saw him go for it and decided to stay out and see what happened.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 10:56 am

GSC wrote:Part of me wonders whether the stops were planned until they saw him go for it and decided to stay out and see what happened.

No I'd say definitely not. Until Verstappen's crash and safety car being deployed there was no suggestion whatsoever of there being anyone even planning another pitstop. Regulation one-stop strategies all round here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May 2015, 10:59 am

At any other track the conventional wisdom is to jump in following a safety car, free pit stop and fresh tyres. Track position is 9/10ths of the law at Monaco though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 11:06 am

GSC wrote:At any other track the conventional wisdom is to jump in following a safety car, free pit stop and fresh tyres. Track position is 9/10ths of the law at Monaco though

Precisely, you do not want to be pitting at Monaoco unless absolutely necessary and all indications are that this stop was not necessary.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 27 May 2015, 1:21 pm

GSC wrote:Tbh there had to be some driver input from Hamilton. Whether Merc fed him wrong info is the question I guess.

You what? When has anyone ever said it was in any way Rosberg's fault? Nico was simply the beneficiary of a bad call.

Immediately post-race Mercedes held their hands up and admitted they made the wrong call.

If the Sky article has any truth to it, then its possible Hamilton has to share at least some of the blame.

As others have aid though, its hard to see how Hamilton couldn't have known whether Rosberg and Vettel had pitted previously, as its part of a race engineer's job to keep their driver updated on stuff like that.

Also, the biggest rule at Monaco, as Craig said, is that you don't pit unless you're about to fall off the road...so all in all it still makes no sense why the decision to pit Lewis was made at that time. What was it, 10 laps or so to go? Absolutely unnecessary at that stage.

Thats why I'm tempted to go with my tin-foil hat conspiracy theory, which is that Mercedes did it on purpose, to keep Nico happy and keep the title race close, with the knowledge that Lewis would still win enough points to stay in the lead.

Call me mad, but thats the explanation that makes the most sense to me... Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 May 2015, 1:51 pm

That's a more general observation.

Id be surprised if they tore into Lewis as much as they did to Rosberg after Spa.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 May 2015, 1:55 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:

Thats why I'm tempted to go with my tin-foil hat conspiracy theory, which is that Mercedes did it on purpose, to keep Nico happy and keep the title race close, with the knowledge that Lewis would still win enough points to stay in the lead.

No that theory doesn't hold up with the facts we have to hand. By various accounts Lewis was getting flustered and fretting about prospect of others beating him into the pits to change tyres and over the radio he was pushing for the stop and Mercedes relented and brought him in at last minute before he passed the pit entry. Mercedes never had car tracking working so it was an improvised move fraught with danger and no way was it worth the risk. Lewis should have been far more confident in being able to hold the cars behind him for remaining laps (even if they were on fresh tyres) as this is Monaco after all. And besides he, on his new boots, never looked like getting past Vettel on his old boots. That would have been the case for Hamilton as well if roles were reversed.

Also a clue to no conspiracy - Hamilton was pretty calm in the aftermath and not foaming at the mouth like we have seen him in the past. That says a heck of a lot for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 2:28 pm

OThere's no conspiracy, just a big foul up. Mercedes have shown that under the tiniest of pressures, as a team, they crumble. Seen if a few times last year & Malaysia this year. 

As for Lewis' reaction, it was good to see & he shook Nico's hand in defeat, not sure that's a definite response to knowing he was to blame though, he still loves f***ed off. He was calm & controlled because he's grown & matured. If he'd starting spitting feathers & acting unprofessional, imagine the criticism in be media & the social media backlash. Just not worth it.

At the end of the day, what's happened, has happened & it's time to move on. It's hardly a championship breaker, he leads the standings, had clearly more pace than his rival at Nico's form track & is now going back to one of his favourite tracks, fully motivated, more so than before.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 May 2015, 2:30 pm

John wrote:OThere's no conspiracy, just a big foul up. Mercedes have shown that under the tiniest of pressures, as a team, they crumble. Seen if a few times last year & Malaysia this year. 

As for Lewis' reaction, it was good to see & he shook Nico's hand in defeat, not sure that's a definite response to knowing he was to blame though, he still loves f***ed off. He was calm & controlled because he's grown & matured. If he'd starting spitting feathers & acting unprofessional, imagine the criticism in be media & the social media backlash. Just not worth it.

At the end of the day, what's happened, has happened & it's time to move on. It's hardly a championship breaker, he leads the standings, had clearly more pace than his rival at Nico's form track & is now going back to one of his favourite tracks, fully motivated, more so than before.

I agree with a lot of that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 May 2015, 2:35 pm

I get the sense Hamilton couldve binned in the wall at the first corner and Coulthard would describe it as a true racer pushing to the limit.

He has a serious man crush
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 29 May 2015, 1:05 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

No that theory doesn't hold up with the facts we have to hand. By various accounts Lewis was getting flustered and fretting about prospect of others beating him into the pits to change tyres and over the radio he was pushing for the stop and Mercedes relented and brought him in at last minute before he passed the pit entry. Mercedes never had car tracking working so it was an improvised move fraught with danger and no way was it worth the risk. Lewis should have been far more confident in being able to hold the cars behind him for remaining laps (even if they were on fresh tyres) as this is Monaco after all. And besides he, on his new boots, never looked like getting past Vettel on his old boots. That would have been the case for Hamilton as well if roles were reversed.

Also a clue to no conspiracy - Hamilton was pretty calm in the aftermath and not foaming at the mouth like we have seen him in the past. That says a heck of a lot for me.

Agree its quite possible they could genuinely have made a bad call...as you say the driver tracking system wasn't working and any number of other things could have happened to lead them to the wrong conclusions.

But I likes me conspiracies! Wink

As for Hamilton being calm...he's probably learned his lesson from previous outbursts. He was still most definitely unhappy though. He stopped his car just before the tunnel for a few minutes on the warm-down lap (to calm down, to have "a word" with the team?) and knocked over the 3rd place sign when he came back to the pits...never seem him do that before. Also, while he lost the race, he still picked up a podium to maintain his championship lead, so it wasn't a total disaster.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 29 May 2015, 1:29 pm

Guess who's back? Back again? The Rivan Prince, tell a friend

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 29 May 2015, 1:34 pm

Hamilton was clearly fed wrong information. He thought Nico and Seb had pitted. Had he known they had not pitted he would not have come in. It was amateur stuff from Mercedes.

But like he said, we win and lose together. The race has destroyed the championship though. Remember what happened the last time something like this occurred?

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 29 May 2015, 1:39 pm

GSC wrote:I get the sense Hamilton couldve binned in the wall at the first corner and Coulthard would describe it as a true racer pushing to the limit.

F1 Monaco GP Thread - containing spoilers  - Page 2 Huh_zps1doiaqbk

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Fri 29 May 2015, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 29 May 2015, 1:41 pm

Also, putting my tin hat on, Mercedes knew they were pitting Hamilton, right? No overtaking under the safety car, right?

Why not tell Nico to slow Seb down by going slower?

It was planned I tells ya

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 29 May 2015, 1:41 pm

GSC wrote:I get the sense Hamilton couldve binned in the wall at the first corner and Coulthard would describe it as a true racer pushing to the limit.

Coulthard does not like Hamilton, where are you getting this from?

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 29 May 2015, 1:51 pm

Belgarion of Riva wrote:Hamilton was clearly fed wrong information. He thought Nico and Seb had pitted. Had he known they had not pitted he would not have come in. It was amateur stuff from Mercedes.

But like he said, we win and lose together. The race has destroyed the championship though. Remember what happened the last time something like this occurred?

How do you mean?

Destroyed the championship, as in ruined its legitimacy by rigging race results?

Or destroyed as in wrecking Lewis and Nico's relationship, setting the scene for more on-track sparring?

The former, well possibly, but if so, Mercedes have a good cover story that is difficult to dispute. Also, no-one other than Hamilton was getting upset over it.

The latter? Forget it. If Lewis blames anyone, it will be the team. He had the good grace to shake hands with Nico afterwards and any lingering resentment will be directed squarely at Mercedes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 29 May 2015, 2:04 pm

What I mean is that Lewis will obliterate him the way he did last season after Spa

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 29 May 2015, 3:33 pm

No way wold Merc have done this deliberately - they lost constructors points.

They misjudged the gap, and the fact that Lewis caught the safety car a couple of corners before the pit entrance, and then had the slight delay as the Sauber passed in the pit lane. Even so, LH was almost alongside Vettel at the second safety car line at the pit exit - half a car's length at that speed (presumably about 100mph) can't be much over 0.1s, and they lost more than that in the delayed release.

Was still a nonsensical move to even take the risk of losing LH his track position given it was Monaco and a good defensive driver can just keep positioning his car in a way that makes passing impossible (precisely as Vettel did after the restart).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

I think the radio transcripts released from Lewis's radio confirms my beliefs. The team were for keeping him out but he moaned that others would pit and he'd be a sitting duck and it saw them change their mind and bring him in.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Thu 11 Jun 2015, 8:22 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:I think the radio transcripts released from Lewis's radio confirms my beliefs. The team were for keeping him out but he moaned that others would pit and he'd be a sitting duck and it saw them change their mind and bring him in.

"This radio transcript"

Peter Bonnington: "So, just a reminder, you are in your Safety Car... Virtual Safety Car. Virtual Safety Car. So look at your dash, look at the boards. Keep positive. Stay positive. And you are staying out."

PB: "So we are staying out and you are just staying positive."

PB: "Okay, Lewis, a Safety Car has been deployed."

Lewis Hamilton: "Are you sure it's the best thing to stay out?"

PB: "Nope, we will be boxing the end of the lap. Boxing the end of the lap. So just stay positive. Stay positive. We are going to go +1 ½ turns for the option tyre unless you tell us different."

PB: "Okay Lewis, just give us pit confirm."

PB: "Okay, so we are now staying out. Staying out. Staying out. Just confirm on the radio."

LH: "Guys, that's not good. These tyres have lost all their temperature. Everyone is going to be on options now."

PB: "Okay. Copy, copy. Box, box. Box, box."

PB: "So, cancel brake magic. Cancel the brake magic."

PB: "Caution on pit entry."

PB: "RS modes. RS modes."

PB: "So, cancel RS. Watch the line on pit exit."

LH: "What's happened guys? Guys, what's happened?"

PB: "Okay, Lewis, so we got caught behind. So we're just getting a look now, just having a look now. Just reviewing the video. So stick the brake warming on, let’s get some temperature into these brakes."

PB: "Okay, Lewis. So we have lost the marshalling system so we may need to do something to override DRS."

LH: "I've lost this race, haven't I?"

PB: "Not if they lose all their tyre temp. They're on the prime tyre. You've got very good options on the car at the moment."

LH: "How many laps left?"

PB: "We’ve got 13 laps remaining."

You were saying????????????

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:20 pm

Jesus!

Sounds like total and utter chaos with nobody really sure of what was going on. Guess that confirms it was a case of neither the team or Lewis knowing the best course of action and that they were having technical issues.

Still, it does pose the question of why they didn't just go with the easiest option of staying out, given it was so close to the end of the race. When in doubt, go with the safest option...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:42 pm

Belgarion of Riva wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I think the radio transcripts released from Lewis's radio confirms my beliefs. The team were for keeping him out but he moaned that others would pit and he'd be a sitting duck and it saw them change their mind and bring him in.

"This radio transcript"

Peter Bonnington: "So, just a reminder, you are in your Safety Car... Virtual Safety Car. Virtual Safety Car. So look at your dash, look at the boards. Keep positive. Stay positive. And you are staying out."

PB: "So we are staying out and you are just staying positive."

PB: "Okay, Lewis, a Safety Car has been deployed."

Lewis Hamilton: "Are you sure it's the best thing to stay out?"

PB: "Nope, we will be boxing the end of the lap. Boxing the end of the lap. So just stay positive. Stay positive. We are going to go +1 ½ turns for the option tyre unless you tell us different."

PB: "Okay Lewis, just give us pit confirm."

PB: "Okay, so we are now staying out. Staying out. Staying out. Just confirm on the radio."

LH: "Guys, that's not good. These tyres have lost all their temperature. Everyone is going to be on options now."

PB: "Okay. Copy, copy. Box, box. Box, box."

PB: "So, cancel brake magic. Cancel the brake magic."

PB: "Caution on pit entry."

PB: "RS modes. RS modes."

PB: "So, cancel RS. Watch the line on pit exit."

LH: "What's happened guys? Guys, what's happened?"

PB: "Okay, Lewis, so we got caught behind. So we're just getting a look now, just having a look now. Just reviewing the video. So stick the brake warming on, let’s get some temperature into these brakes."

PB: "Okay, Lewis. So we have lost the marshalling system so we may need to do something to override DRS."

LH: "I've lost this race, haven't I?"

PB: "Not if they lose all their tyre temp. They're on the prime tyre. You've got very good options on the car at the moment."

LH: "How many laps left?"

PB: "We’ve got 13 laps remaining."

You were saying????????????

Yes exactly that one. The pit crew were game on keeping him out until Lewis began messing his pants about the state of his tyres and pressuring them to pit him and the pit crew promptly changed their minds and the rest is history. If you cannot see that in that transcript then I am puzzled.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Jesus!

Sounds like total and utter chaos with nobody really sure of what was going on. Guess that confirms it was a case of neither the team or Lewis knowing the best course of action and that they were having technical issues.

Still, it does pose the question of why they didn't just go with the easiest option of staying out, given it was so close to the end of the race. When in doubt, go with the safest option...

No it looks more to me like if Lewis had just accepted the first call to stay out then what transpired would have been totally different. Seems the pits were intent on keeping him out but pressure from Lewis caused them to change their mind. And backs up Totto's post-race ramble about winning as a team and losing as a team and nobody was to be blamed. Protecting Lewis? I'd say so. Plus where was the raging anger from Lewis? His reaction was more of a sheepishness guilt rather than anger we have seen from him in the past.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:53 pm

Merc leaned towards staying out but couldn't make up their minds and Hamilton was the deciding vote I guess. One of those close things
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:27 pm

GSC wrote:Merc leaned towards staying out but couldn't make up their minds and Hamilton was the deciding vote I guess. One of those close things

Shouldn't have been Lewis's call to make - he doesn't have the info on where everyone else is or any idea of movement in the pit lane

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

Yeah I get the sense Merc were pretty evenly split, judging by the number of times they changed mind pre pit stop. Agree Hamilton shouldn't have had a say but I'm guessing he tipped the scales.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2